IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

KNIME OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

KNIME is #1 ranked solution in top Data Mining tools and #3 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. PeerSpot users give KNIME an average rating of 8 out of 10. KNIME is most commonly compared to Alteryx: KNIME vs Alteryx. KNIME is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
KNIME Buyer's Guide

Download the KNIME Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is KNIME?

KNIME is an open-source analytics software used for creating data science that is built on a GUI based workflow, eliminating the need to know code. The solution has an inherent modular workflow approach that documents and stores the analysis process in the same order it was conceived and implemented, while ensuring that intermediate results are always available. KNIME supports Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems and is suitable for enterprises of all different sizes. With KNIME, you can perform functions ranging from basic I/O to data manipulations, transformations and data mining. It consolidates all the functions of the entire process into a single workflow. The solution covers all main data wrangling and machine learning techniques, and is based on visual programming.

KNIME Features

KNIME has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Scalability through data handling (intelligent automatic caching of data in the background while maximizing throughput performance)
  • High extensibility via a well-defined API for plugin extensions
  • Intuitive user interface
  • Import/export of workflows
  • Parallel execution on multi-core systems
  • Command line version for "headless" batch executions
  • Metanode linking
  • Tool blending
  • Big Data extensions

KNIME Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing KNIME. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Integrated Deployment: KNIME’s integrated deployment moves both the selected model, and the entire data model preparation process into production simply and automatically, allowing for continuous optimization in production and also saving time because it eliminates error.
  • Elastic and Hybrid Execution: KNIME’s elastic and hybrid executions helps you reduce costs while covering periods of high demand, dynamically.
  • Metadata Mapping: KNIME enables complete metadata mapping of all aspects of your workflow. In addition, KNIME offers blueprint workflows for documenting the nodes, data sources, and libraries used, as well as runtime information.
  • Guided Analytics: KNIME’s guided analytics applications can be customized based on reusable components.
  • Powerful analytics, local automation, and workflow difference: KNIME uses advanced predictive and machine learning algorithms to provide you with the analytics you need. In combination with powerful analytics, KNIME’s automation capabilities and workflow difference prepare your organization with the tools you need to make better business decisions.
  • Supports enterprise-wide data science practices: The deployment and management functionalities of KNIME make it easy to productionize data science applications and services, and deliver usable, reliable, and reproducible insights for the business.
  • Helps you leverage insights gained from your data: Using KNIME ensures the data science process immediately reflects changing requirements or new insights.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the KNIME solution.

An Emeritus Professor at a university says, “It can read many different file formats. It can very easily tidy up your data, deleting blank rows, and deleting rows where certain columns are missing. It allows you to make lots of changes internally, which you do using JavaScript to put in the conditional. It also has very good fundamental machine learning. It has decision trees, linear regression, and neural nets. It has a lot of text mining facilities as well. It's fairly fully-featured.”

Benedikt S., CEO at SMH - Schwaiger Management Holding GmbH, explains, “All of the features related to the ETL are fantastic. That includes the connectors to other programs, databases, and the meta node function. Technical support has been extremely responsive so far. The solution has a very strong and supportive community that shares information and helps each other troubleshoot. The solution is very stable. The initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward.”

Piotr Ś., Test Engineer at ProData Consult, says, “What I like the most is that it works almost out of the box with Random Forest and other Forest nodes.”

KNIME was previously known as KNIME Analytics Platform.

KNIME Customers

Infocom Corporation, Dymatrix Consulting Group, Soluzione Informatiche, MMI Agency, Estanislao Training and Solutions, Vialis AG

KNIME Video

KNIME Pricing Advice

What users are saying about KNIME pricing:
  • "With KNIME, you can use the desktop version free of charge as much as you like. I've yet to hit its limits. If I did, I'd have to go to the server version, and for that you have to pay. Fortunately, I don't have to at the moment."
  • "At this time, I am using the free version of Knime."
  • "It's an open-source solution."
  • "There is a Community Edition and paid versions available."
  • KNIME Reviews

LaurenceMoseley - PeerSpot reviewer
    Professor of Health Services Research at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Allows you to easily tidy up your data, make lots of changes internally, and has good machine learning
    • "It also has very good fundamental machine learning. It has decision trees, linear regression, and neural nets. It has a lot of text mining facilities as well. It's fairly fully-featured."
    • "Not just for KNIME, but generally for software and analyzing data, I would welcome facilities for analyzing different sorts of scale data like Likert scales, Thurstone scales, magnitude ratio scales, and Guttman scales, which I don't use myself."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using the most recent version. It's version 4.6.

What is most valuable?

I used to be a Pascal programmer, and then I did a bit of Python. It does many of the things that I would've had to do in code without using code. I don't think it does everything, but it does most of what I need to do. It can read many different file formats. It can very easily tidy up your data, deleting blank rows, and deleting rows where certain columns are missing. It allows you to make lots of changes internally, which you do using JavaScript to put in the conditional. For example, I have one data set whereby all of the data is encoded and there was one variable called code or something like that and it had codes for what the topic was, which was being discussed, whether it was positive or negative, whether it was strongly worded or weakly worded, and so many other things like that. I had to transfer those into columns, like sentiment, strength of sentiments, topic being discussed. I had to split it up into columns, and I could do that very easily, like simple JavaScript, in their column expressions. It also has very good fundamental machine learning. It has decision trees, linear regression, and neural nets. It has a lot of text mining facilities as well. It's fairly fully-featured. They are also very careful with things like lab variance and issued variance, because they have some labs that develop nodes, new chunks of code which are represented as an icon. They make it very clear that those lab ones are not fully tested, and they're very glad to get comments back if you have problems. I haven't had that difficulty myself. They seem to be aware that they have the community there as their testing base, and they seem not to be embarrassed about that. They will tell you when they go wrong and try to put it right.

What needs improvement?

So far, I haven't had problems with it, so I haven't really thought about room for improvement. It's so much better than many other things. It's useful in that you can at least get people who are pretty averse to programming to start thinking about putting something into a program of any kind, because they can see what's happening. It's visual. It's codeless. For some purposes, I'd want to add Python or R, but I haven't had to do that so far, so I haven't seen the shortcomings of it. There must be some. All software has shortcomings, but I haven't recognized any myself. Not just for KNIME, but generally for software and analyzing data, I would welcome facilities for analyzing different sorts of scale data like Likert scales, Thurstone scales, magnitude ratio scales, and Guttman scales, which I don't use myself. I use both Thurstone scales and magnitude ratio scales quite a bit, and they're very powerful. But I've always had to do all the analysis myself in some simple code. I don't think that's provided. You could probably include it in KNIME, but I haven't tried to do it. If it just said, "Analyze scales," and you'd choose which sort of scale you want to analyze and it gave you the options of normalizing or reversing or whatever it happens to be, that would be helpful. There are lots of simple functions that you want to apply to scales, which would be useful in any software, including KNIME.

I have been using this solution for about a year, but most particularly in the last six months.
    KNIME
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about KNIME. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's been remarkably stable, much more so than most software. They have an active community forum. Problems seem to get fixed pretty quickly. I haven't had problems, but other people do report problems. So, there must be problems there, I just haven't had any.

Compared to RapidMiner, at the moment I would go for KNIME, but that's largely because I haven't used RapidMiner much for the last year. It may have improved enormously since then. It was a very good package. They do much the same thing. I'm more familiar with KNIME, so I would be able to talk more about it, whereas for RapidMiner, I was very enthusiastic when I used it. KNIME is a bit cheaper in a sense. In RapidMiner, you can have up to 10,000 rows of data free of charge. For many things that I do, 10,000 rows of data is enough. I use quite a few UK government surveys, and I get the raw data from the UK Data Archive. They're often of the order of 10,000, 8,000. So, under 10,000 rows. I could use it free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.  I'm unwilling to give anything a ten, because everything can be improved. But it's been very useful so far to me and has saved me many hours of work. I could have written it all in Python if necessary, but it would have taken me weeks for what would been a few days' work. My advice is to just download it and use it. The documentation is pretty good. There are many good videos online for it. If I go to YouTube, you can get pages and pages of RapidMiner tutorials. They're pretty clear, and they are produced by people who've used it. It's not just company advertising, as far as I can see.
    SnehaaSelvakumaran - PeerSpot reviewer
    BI Solutions Developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Open source with good analytic capabilities and very stable
    • "The product is open-source and therefore free to use."
    • "They should look at other vendors like Alteryx that are more user friendly and modern."

What is most valuable?

The data analytics capabilities in KNIME are excellent. It's not just a statistical ETL tool. We can go deeper and do various types of tasks beyond straight analytics.

The product is open-source and therefore free to use.

The solution offers lots of different options.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be a bit better. It's currently very dated.

From a systems point of view, the tool is not completely user friendly.

Users tell us they would like to do their own analytics and find it difficult to accomplish without the help of a technical service.

You need to be a bit more knowledgeable in order to handle the solution. It's not difficult, it's just more technical than other options.

I've been dealing with the solution for four years.

The solution is very stable. There aren't issues surrounding bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

It depends on the requirements you have, however it is scalable, at least for the next two years.

We typically work with enterprise-level organizations. The companies aren't that small.

The technical support is okay. I'd give them three out of five stars.

I don't find any of their online tutorials help anyone at all. I am comparing KNIME with Alteryx mainly due to the fact that those two are the main ETL tools which most of my clients use. The technical support and documentation that are available for Alteryx are quite good. We don't get that level of documentation or videos from KNIME's support. It's very limited.

We also use Alteryx. We use both solutions, depending on the client. I tend to recommend Alteryx. For someone who has good technical knowledge, they can go with KNIME. However, if they're not a techy person, I would recommend Alteryx for them.

The initial setup is not complex. It is pretty easy. However, you have to know what to do. If you have software demo documents or if you have tutorials to support you, then it is easy. I wouldn't say that it's a complex tool at all. It's pretty easy.

The solution is open-source and therefore cheap to use. Anyone can access it. They can just download it off the internet and start. Alteryx is way too expensive. In terms of pricing, it's always better to go with KNIME.

What other advice do I have?

I am both consultant and a vendor right now. We do a bit of consultant work for some of our clients and we give the tutorials to them. We typically get in touch with them, and they send what they need and we do the distribution for them.

I'd recommend new users have their requirements sorted out first so that they know what they need out of the tool. If that is clear, they can install the custom content required in KNIME to get their analytics done correctly. If that is there, then it's a piece of cake.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the user interface was better and it offered better technical support, I would rate it higher.

KNIME
    June 2022
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Visually appealing, user-friendly and intuitive in creating workflows and automating tasks
    • "From a user-friendliness perspective, it's a great tool."
    • "If they had a more structured training model it would be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I am a basic user, doing a data science course.

I am using Knime more from a study perspective, rather than a practical work application.

I am fairly competent with creating workflows and automating some basic things in Knime.

How has it helped my organization?

NA

What is most valuable?

From a user-friendliness perspective, it's a great tool.

What needs improvement?

I think some of the online training content could be better, although I have been able to find all of the information. At times they're quite lengthy, and for me to go through everything and then get a resolution takes a good amount of time.

They could have a more structured node-wise training model, where I can simply get into it. For example, if I need to understand a node to create pivot tables, I have to go through the training mode to understand what the functionality is.

If they had a more structured training model it would be very helpful.

It would be helpful to launch more certification programs online.

There could be better marketing. The awareness of Knime is limited, especially for small organizations. When you compare with PowerBI, there is a lot of active marketing put into their product, also, having Microsoft associated with it is an advantage.

They have to step up on the marketing aspect and the ability to digitize using Knime. Many are aware of other tools such as PowerBI.

In the next release, I would like to see the certification available for active users.

Also the costing aspect of the certification, there could be more local impact time zone programs with a bit of costing dissension to encourage more active users in Knime who can then move to the server version in their organization.

I have been using Knime for approximately one year.

We are in the testing phase of this solution.

It is quite stable. I have not been faced with any issues since I have been using this solution.

Knime is a scalable product.

We have five power users who are test prototype users at the moment. We are trying to sell that prototype to the management so that we can deploy it on a larger scale.

I have never had the need to reach out to technical support.

At some point when I move on with the server versions, I might need some help.

The desktop version, it's more of an install and then just run it.

At this time, I am using the free version of Knime.

I did look at Tableau and was considering it to some extent. I felt Knime was more user-friendly and more versatile to automate tasks (most of them excel based).

What other advice do I have?

I am quite supportive of this product. It has been helpful in automating a few of my accounting activities.

Digital groups such as Knime have great potential, but there needs to be more aggressiveness with marketing. There are many executives that do not know what Knime is.

My journey starts by explaining what Knime is and what the functionalities are.

I like Knime, and I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Vivek Rane - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Alpha Analytics
    It's fast and the visualization provides a lot of clarity
    • "KNIME is fast and the visualization provides a lot of clarity. It clarifies your thinking because you can see what's going on with your data."
    • "KNIME's licensing and data management aren't as straightforward relative to Alteryx. Alteryx's tools are more sophisticated, so you need fewer to use it compared to KNIME. I think tab implementation could be easier, too."

What is our primary use case?

Some of the projects that require KNIME are related to sales or the supply chain. We use it to aggregate data from diverse sources rather than predictive analytics. It's primarily for data collection, management, and preparation.

How has it helped my organization?

KNIME is fast and the visualization provides a lot of clarity. It clarifies your thinking because you can see what's going on with your data.

What is most valuable?

We find KNIME useful and convenient for data preparation.

What needs improvement?

KNIME's licensing and data management aren't as straightforward relative to Alteryx. Alteryx's tools are more sophisticated, so you need fewer to use it compared to KNIME. I think tab implementation could be easier, too.

My company has been using KNIME for about a year and a half. I don't work on the solution personally, but our analysts do. We use it off and on, depending on the project. It's not every day that we have projects requiring that, but we use it when we do.

KNIME is stable. We haven't seen any issues.

I think KNIME is scalable, but we haven't had a project that would test that sort of thing. The projects requiring KNIME aren't on a huge scale. We haven't tried to scale it, but I think it should be okay.

My team has used the forum, but we never contacted support for any specific deployment query. I think the online documentation and training are quite sufficient.

We worked with Alteryx, but we switched to KNIME because that's what our customers wanted. Alteryx is a good solution, but the cost was exorbitant for the client.

Setting up KNIME isn't hard. When we first installed the solution, it took one or two weeks to understand the various features. After doing it a few times, it didn't take as long. It only takes one or two people to deploy.

The ROI would depend on how KNIME is being used. Some projects would be more economically viable and save a lot of money. Others wouldn't save much.

KNIME could be cheaper, but it's okay compared to other solutions. Our projects are primarily within India, and it is extremely price-sensitive here. If we were doing projects in the UK or the US, it probably wouldn't matter.

What other advice do I have?

I rate KNIME nine out of 10. I would recommend it. I think KNIME is an excellent solution.

Benedikt Schwaiger - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at SMH - Schwaiger Management Holding GmbH
    Stable and easy to set up with very good ETL features
    • "All of the features related to the ETL are fantastic. That includes the connectors to other programs, databases, and the meta node function."
    • "The predefined workflows could use a bit of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an ETL - to Extract, Transform, Load topics.

What is most valuable?

Technical support has been extremely responsive so far.

The solution is very stable.

The initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be a little bit more comfortable. The usability, in general, could be much better.

The predefined workflows could use a bit of improvement.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is pretty stable. I don't recall facing any bugs or glitches. The solution doesn't crash or freeze. It's fairly reliable overall.

We have about 10 users in the company that are on the solution regularly. They are all either engineers or business consultants.

The technical support on offer is very good. We rarely have issues, however, if we do, the support that is provided is very fast and the team is very knowledgeable. There's also a very strong and active KNIME community that includes KNIME developers.

At the end of the day, when we run into issues, it's dealt with immediately and we're very satisfied with the level of service provided.

The initial setup isn't complex. I'd describe it as straightforward. What makes it very easy is that there's so much material available online. Users have access to many forms of documentation, including webinars and training documents. When it comes to finer details, of course, it gets more complex, however, that's pretty normal in every product.

What other advice do I have?

We are KNIME partners and also provide KNIME training to clients as well.

We're a startup, and we're in the startup phase, however, we are working to build more business relationships with KNIME.

In my previous company, we were also partnered with KNIME. Currently, I'm working as a consultant and we have a customer who is using SAP Analytics, however, I am interested in learning more about the differences between KNIME and SAP Analytics. That's something I'm looking at right now.

We would definitely recommend this solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I don't know if there's a tool better than this particular product, however, there's always room for improvement on any technology.

Piotr Świątek - PeerSpot reviewer
    Test Engineer at ProData Consult
    An impressive open-source product that is stable and easy to use
    • "What I like the most is that it works almost out of the box with Random Forest and other Forest nodes."
    • "The documentation is lacking and it could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I am advocating the use of this solution in my organization. I use it personally for my purposes and for the company, I use it for internal data science with very good results.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is that it works almost out of the box with Random Forest and other Forest nodes.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to say at this time, as I am not using the latest version. I have noticed that I don't have the latest modules that were added, such as ML.

In my opinion, there's one thing lacking. As far as algorithm notes go, it would be handy if category algorithms of C4 or C4.5 could be set with a checkbox or something like that.

Once you go to the forum or the documentation, to see how to implement a C4.5, you mark the checkbox, and only then it would be content for C4 or C4.5.

The documentation is lacking and it could be better. It's a community-driven product but there are a few crucial models missing such as ANOVA and MANOVA.

I have been using KNIME since December 2019.

In my opinion, it is very stable.

I have not yet explored the scalability as I am using it on my local machine and I don't have the experience of putting it on the cloud.

I do plan to increase my usage.

The documentation is okay, although there are things missing. At the same time, the forum support is great.

Previously, I was using SPSS Statistics, although that was ten years ago. I had a gap in data mining and the statistic field as a whole.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

It's an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I am considering further courses and maybe some certification in the next year.

I would strongly recommend KNIME. It's a modeling or statistics product that can be used by almost anyone with knowledge in the field. It works almost out of the box.

For starters, it's approximately two hours of watching videos and/or reading the documentation, and then off you go.

I built my first working model in two days when I started using KNIME, and it only needed to be tweaked. It was impressive.

Crystallization Lab Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Simple setup, highly scalable, and overall functions well
    • "Overall KNIME serves its purpose and does a good job."
    • "KNIME can improve by adding more automation tools in the query, similar to UiPath or Blue Prism. It would make the data collection and cleanup duties more versatile."

What is our primary use case?

KNIME is used for collecting data for data science.

How has it helped my organization?

KNIME has improved our organization because we are able to collect data in a way that we can interpret and it provides visuals.

What is most valuable?

Overall KNIME serves its purpose and does a good job.

What needs improvement?

KNIME can improve by adding more automation tools in the query, similar to UiPath or Blue Prism. It would make the data collection and cleanup duties more versatile.

I have been using KNIME for approximately four years.

KNIME is stable.

KNIME is always highly scalable, as new features come out and things that we learn from the new features can help us interpret data better.

We have approximately 12 people using the solution. There are three groups of users, the data entry team, data collection experts, and data interpreters. They use the solution for two months for each project we work on. We are planning on hiring more data scientists.

I rate the support from KNIME a three out of five.

I have not used other solutions other than KNIME.

The initial setup of KNIME was not challenging, but it took some practice.

The full deployment took us approximately one year. It took us a little while to adjust to the solution because many of the users did not have an analytics background, we had to teach them.

I rate the ease of setup for KNIME a four out of five.

We did evaluate other solutions. We decided to use KNIME because it is open source and was easier to start with.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to start out slow and gradually increase operations.

I rate KNIME an eight out of ten.

There are other applications that I've used that make collecting the data and interpreting it a lot easier. If they could improve this my rating would increase.

Private Cloud

Other
    Sanyam Jangir - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President Business Transformation at AJA
    Good sample features, scales well, and the community support is helpful
    • "KNIME is quite scalable, which is one of the most important features that we found."
    • "Compared to the other data tools on the market, the user interface can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are users of KNIME and we also resell this product.

The primary use case is for data analysis.

What is most valuable?

KNIME has a good set of features for data analytics.

The sampling features are some of the most important ones for us.

What needs improvement?

There are quite a few features that are not available in the Community Edition. Having more of these features brought into the platform would be helpful.

Support from KNIME could be enhanced, although the community support is great.

I have been working with KNIME for between three and four years.

It has been stable for a while, since the release of version 4. However, between version 2 and version 3, it was quite unstable. The stability has improved.

The support for KNIME is good, although it comes from the community rather than from KNIME itself.

The initial setup is quite simple, especially if you have already worked on other tools.

The deployment can be completed within a couple of hours, including the setup of permissions and other configurations.

There is a Community Edition and paid versions available.

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is looking for a new data science platform, KNIME is a product that I can recommend.

Download our free KNIME Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022