IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Juniper NetScreen [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Juniper NetScreen [EOL]?
The Juniper Networks NetScreen Series is a line of purpose-built, high-performance security systems designed for large enterprise, carrier, and data center networks. Architected with both existing and future network design in mind, the NetScreen Series consists of two platforms: the 2-slot NetScreen-5200 and the 4-slot NetScreen-5400. Integrating firewall, VPN, traffic management functionality, Denial of Service (DoS) and Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) protection in a low profile modular chassis, the NetScreen Series delivers scalable performance for the most demanding network environments.
Juniper NetScreen [EOL] Customers
LIME, Telecom Italia

Archived Juniper NetScreen [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user701430 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network and Security Engineer
It is easy to use with access via CLI and GUI. It also has good stability.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use with access via CLI and GUI. It also has good stability.

How has it helped my organization?

I am not able to answer this question.

What needs improvement?

Features which could be improved include the search functions and the database size. From what I remember it wasn't very easy to search for specific objects or rules. One issue I remember dealing with was having to rationalize rules due to running out of space to create new objects.

We used the solution for four years, from 2009 to 2013.
Firewalls
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Fortinet, Netgate and others in Firewalls. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We had some scalability issues when object limits were reached so rules had to be rationalized.

The technical support was very good on the few occasions I required it.

I am not aware of any previous solutions.

I am unable to answer this as I did not carry out the initial setup.

As far as I know the pricing and licensing is OK.

I am unable to answer this as I was not involved in the evaluation process.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think this is relevant for a device that is EOL.
ProductLd10b - PeerSpot reviewer
Product Line Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The valuable features include dynamic OSPF routing and dual ISP failover.

What is most valuable?

• Policies
  • IPSec VPN
  • Dynamic routing (OSPF)
  • Dual ISP failover
  • Great debugging
  • Responsive web user interface

How has it helped my organization?

Stable products provide no downtime in customer networks. Their business depends on stable equipment.

What needs improvement?

Next-Generation Firewall functionalities. There could be better logging and reporting capabilities.

We have used the solution for more than 12 years. Some customers still run the Juniper NetScreen platform.

We encountered a few minor issues, but solved them with a great Juniper JTAC team.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of 6/10. On the average, I would give them a rating of 9/10.

The initial setup was quite complex. However, everything can be done if you are prepared well and if you know the customers' environment and their needs.

I have no comment about pricing and licensing.

As a partner and integrator, we had only one option.

What other advice do I have?

Retrospectively, I would definitely recommend this product because of its functionalities, its reliability, and the good support.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an Elite partner with Juniper.
Firewalls
June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Security Analyst - ISO 27001 at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides a packet debugging, packet handshake visibility, VPN configuration, and integration with central management server. But there are remote accessibility issues in older models.

Valuable Features:

Juniper NetsScreen is a pretty straightforward firewall appliance which is certainly a good fit from mid-size organizations, to big enterprises (a lot of varieties are available). However, NetScreen is going to be EOL by 2018 per my latest knowledge.

Improvements to My Organization:

There are a few useful features in NetScreen, which makes the life easy for a firewall administrator i.e. packet debugging, packet handshake visibility, VPN configuration, integration with central management server etc.

It has provided reasonable firewall level security to the IT networks.

Deployment Issues:

There have been some compatibility issues with the integration of central management.

Stability Issues:

There has been some remote accessibility issues at times with older models.

Initial Setup:

It's easy to deploy.

Other Advice:

It's good, and user friendly platform.