IBM Spectrum Computing OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Spectrum Computing is the #4 ranked solution in top Hadoop tools and #14 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Spectrum Computing an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. IBM Spectrum Computing is most commonly compared to Red Hat CloudForms: IBM Spectrum Computing vs Red Hat CloudForms. IBM Spectrum Computing is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Hadoop Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM Spectrum Computing?

IBM Spectrum Computing uses intelligent workload and policy-driven resource management to optimize resources across the data center, on premises and in the cloud. Now up to 150X faster and scalable to over 160,000 cores, IBM provides you with the latest advances in software-defined infrastructure to help you unleash the power of your distributed mission-critical high performance computing (HPC), analytics and big data applications as well as a new generation open source frameworks such as Hadoop and Spark.

IBM Spectrum Computing was previously known as IBM Platform Computing.

IBM Spectrum Computing Customers

London South Bank University, Transvalor, Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Genomic

IBM Spectrum Computing Video

Archived IBM Spectrum Computing Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Manager, Deputy Chairman of the Board at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Can be used to backup our data, but the deduplication does not work and it should support different algorithms
  • "The most valuable feature is the backup capability."
  • "We have not been able to use deduplication."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to back up our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backup capability.

What needs improvement?

We are not fully satisfied with this product at the moment because we are having issues with reliability.

We have not been able to use deduplication.

I cannot use any protocol other than VTL. We have VTL hardware that has some additional functions there are not supported by the VTL protocol. Also, VTL is a little bit slow. For example, we use a VTL from EMC and they use another protocol for the copying. At this moment, TSM will not use a protocol that is different from IBM.

We have been using IBM Spectrum Computing for approximately 15 years.

Hadoop
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Cloudera, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Hadoop. Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We did not work with a similar solution before this one. However, we are switching away from this product and going to use EMC Data Protect because, from our point of view, it is more functional than TSM. We also use EMC products in our infrastructure.

EMC Data Protect uses a faster protocol and it is simpler to use.

VTL is an emulation of tape but for us, at this moment, it is not so useful because we have hardware that supports another, faster protocol.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Mohamed Youssef - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Pre-Sales Engineer at Advanced Technology Company
Provides stable backup for our databases and has good technical support
  • "We are satisfied with the technical support, we have no issues."
  • "SMB storage and HPC is not compatible and it should be supported by IBM Spectrum Computing."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to backup everything in our data center. This includes VMware environments, Microsoft Hyper-V, Unix machines including HP UNIX, and AIX, as well as normal machines for Windows.

The deployment model we used was on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backup, which we use for backing up Oracle SQL databases.

What needs improvement?

Hyper-convergence can be improved. IBM Spectrum is not supported or compatible with Nutanix with hyper-convergence. SMB storage and HPC is not compatible and it should be supported by IBM Spectrum Computing.

The GUI could be more user-friendly for the administrator. In the GUI you cannot do all of the administration tasks, you have to go to the Command-Line.

In VM the GUI can handle everything, Spectrum should be like this.

Also, I would like to have the Hyper-converged solution Nutanix with IBM Spectrum, it's a very good product.

I have been using this solution for one year.

This solution is stable.

We are satisfied with the technical support, we have no issues.

The initial setup was complex.

The deployment took three to four days.

The implementation took two days and the configuration took three days because we have a large virtual environment.

We had a vendor to deploy this solution for us.

This solution is expensive.

I would prefer to go to EMC Data Domain, also VM supported by VMware is good.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with IBM, and we renew our partnership yearly.

I tell everyone that they should go with IBM Spectrum Computing.

The cost is high but I like this solution.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hadoop
November 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System, Storage and Data Administrator at ORNESS
Reliable Solution but the managing of tapes needs improvement
  • "This solution is working for both VTL and tape."
  • "This solution is no longer managing tapes correctly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary case use of this solution is data backup and storage for our customers.

The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

This solution is working for both VTL and tape.

What needs improvement?

This solution is no longer managing tapes correctly.

I had to script another one to make the software use fewer tapes.

Normally, you would have backup software tuned for speed or capacity and here, it was tuned for speed, which could be the reason for so many bad tapes.

I have been using this solution for twelve years.

This solution worked as expected and it is reliable.

We are operating an IBM shop, everything is IBM. Our customers are here for IBM.

What other advice do I have?

For now, I am pleased with this solution. I have been using this solution for twelve years and I know how it works. At this time I don't have any suggestions for additional features to be added, except for the bad managing of tapes.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free Hadoop Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Cloudera, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!
Updated: November 2022