IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Spectrum Computing OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Spectrum Computing is #5 ranked solution in top Hadoop tools and #20 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Spectrum Computing an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Spectrum Computing is most commonly compared to Red Hat CloudForms: IBM Spectrum Computing vs Red Hat CloudForms. IBM Spectrum Computing is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Hadoop Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is IBM Spectrum Computing?

IBM Spectrum Computing uses intelligent workload and policy-driven resource management to optimize resources across the data center, on premises and in the cloud. Now up to 150X faster and scalable to over 160,000 cores, IBM provides you with the latest advances in software-defined infrastructure to help you unleash the power of your distributed mission-critical high performance computing (HPC), analytics and big data applications as well as a new generation open source frameworks such as Hadoop and Spark.

IBM Spectrum Computing was previously known as IBM Platform Computing.

IBM Spectrum Computing Customers

London South Bank University, Transvalor, Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Genomic

IBM Spectrum Computing Video

Archived IBM Spectrum Computing Reviews (more than two years old)

Mohamed Youssef - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Pre-Sales Engineer at Advanced Technology Company
Provides stable backup for our databases and has good technical support
  • "We are satisfied with the technical support, we have no issues."
  • "SMB storage and HPC is not compatible and it should be supported by IBM Spectrum Computing."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to backup everything in our data center. This includes VMware environments, Microsoft Hyper-V, Unix machines including HP UNIX, and AIX, as well as normal machines for Windows. The deployment model we used was on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backup, which we use for backing up Oracle SQL databases.

What needs improvement?

Hyper-convergence can be improved. IBM Spectrum is not supported or compatible with Nutanix with hyper-convergence. SMB storage and HPC is not compatible and it should be supported by IBM Spectrum Computing. The GUI could be more user-friendly for the administrator. In the GUI you cannot do all of the administration tasks, you have to go to the Command-Line. In VM the GUI can handle everything, Spectrum should be like this. Also, I would like to have the Hyper-converged solution Nutanix with IBM Spectrum, it's a very good product.

I have been using this solution for one year.
Hadoop
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Cloudera, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Hadoop. Updated: June 2022.
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is stable.

We are satisfied with the technical support, we have no issues.

The initial setup was complex. The deployment took three to four days.  The implementation took two days and the configuration took three days because we have a large virtual environment.

We had a vendor to deploy this solution for us.

This solution is expensive.

I would prefer to go to EMC Data Domain, also VM supported by VMware is good.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with IBM, and we renew our partnership yearly. I tell everyone that they should go with IBM Spectrum Computing. The cost is high but I like this solution. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
System Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable Solution but the managing of tapes needs improvement
  • "This solution is working for both VTL and tape."
  • "This solution is no longer managing tapes correctly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary case use of this solution is data backup and storage for our customers.

The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

This solution is working for both VTL and tape.

What needs improvement?

This solution is no longer managing tapes correctly.

I had to script another one to make the software use fewer tapes.

Normally, you would have backup software tuned for speed or capacity and here, it was tuned for speed, which could be the reason for so many bad tapes.

I have been using this solution for twelve years.

This solution worked as expected and it is reliable.

We are operating an IBM shop, everything is IBM. Our customers are here for IBM.

What other advice do I have?

For now, I am pleased with this solution. I have been using this solution for twelve years and I know how it works. At this time I don't have any suggestions for additional features to be added, except for the bad managing of tapes.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free Hadoop Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Cloudera, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!
Updated: June 2022