Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

HelpSystems Powertech Identity & Access Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Privileged Access Management (PAM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is HelpSystems Powertech Identity & Access Manager?

Powertech Identity & Access Manager (BoKS) transforms your multi-vendor Linux and UNIX server environment into one centrally managed security domain. It simplifies your organization’s ability to enforce security policies, and control access to critical systems and information. With full control over accounts, access and privilege, IT and security teams can proactively prevent internal and external attacks on critical systems before they start.

HelpSystems Powertech Identity & Access Manager was previously known as Powertech Identity & Access Manager, BoKS, BoKS ServerControl, Fox Technologies ApplicationControl, ApplicationControl.

HelpSystems Powertech Identity & Access Manager Customers

Integris Health

HelpSystems Powertech Identity & Access Manager Video

HelpSystems Powertech Identity & Access Manager Reviews

Practice Lead at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Inexperienced support for old product, but good flexibility for use case customization
  • "HelpSystems Powertech's feature that I have found most valuable is its flexibility. It is able to be extended. A lot of the products these days, especially the ones on the cloud, are limited and can't handle all the use cases. Often there is not even a way to customize the application to meet uncommon use cases and HelpSystems provides an infrastructure that lends itself to the ability to be customized."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, I would say the support of the product. It's hard to get support for it. I think this is emblematic of the fact that they don't have a lot of employees who have long-term experience with it."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it for onboarding, terminations, password reset, and certifications.

What is most valuable?

It is able to be extended. A lot of the products these days, especially the ones on the cloud, are limited and can't handle all the use cases. Often there is not even a way to customize the application to meet uncommon use cases and HelpSystems provides an infrastructure that lends itself to the ability to be customized.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say the support of the product. It's hard to get support for it. I think this is emblematic of the fact that they don't have a lot of employees who have long-term experience with it.

I have been using HelpSystems Powertech Identity & Access Manager for 10 years.

Privileged Access Management (PAM)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about HelpSystems, CyberArk, BeyondTrust and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: September 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable. I mean, if Windows is up then they're up.

HelpSystems Powertech is scalable if you throw more servers at it. Then you can distribute the load, which is a Microsoft SQL Server backend, and as long as you allocate enough resources to those things, then it is scalable. That's good enough.

It would be an entire organization that uses it. So at a hospital for example, a healthcare system, a bank, and it would be the entire workforce on it.

I haven't see a lot of customer's specific use cases, but it is for the whole workforce, everyone. The CEO of the company to the janitor.

In terms of maintaining it, that requires application administrators or system administrators. There is a manual process to update the product, at least with the on-premise version.

I don't think support has the experience in their tech support department. It's not a matter of responsiveness or lack of attention. I just think it's because the product has been turned over so many times and bought and sold from different organizations. They don't have the personnel infrastructure to be able to just support it.

The initial setup was straightforward enough. If there's an installation file, it's straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering it is that I don't think it's a dinosaur of a product. I don't know if they have any new customers. 10 years ago it was in the Magic Quadrant of products. People just don't use it anymore. I would not necessarily recommend customers use it. I don't know what its cloud capabilities are. It just has support for legacy customers who've been using it over the years.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give HelpSystems Powertech Identity & Access Manager a five.