IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Fortinet FortiWAN [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the WAN Optimization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Fortinet FortiWAN [EOL]?

FortiWAN intelligently balances Internet and intranet traffic across multiple WAN connections to lower bandwidth costs and keep users connected. It offers easy-to-use multi-WAN management and a flexible policy-based performance management system.

Fortinet FortiWAN [EOL] Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiWAN [EOL] Video

Archived Fortinet FortiWAN [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to use and the optimization is good, but better regional support is needed
  • "The most valuable feature is optimization."
  • "Having more documentation would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and FortiWAN is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is optimization. It is very good compared to other products. It is very simple to use.

What needs improvement?

More needs to be done with engineering frameworks, such as aggregation. When we add a lot of rules, perhaps 100,000 to 200,000, the bootup process is very slow. Technical support has room for improvement. Having more documentation would be helpful.

I have a lot of experience with Fortinet products and I have been working with FortiWAN for about six months.
WAN Optimization
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Citrix, Riverbed and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a stable product, although they do have to resolve some known issues.

This is a solution that has to be scalable, and it is. We have a team of between 10 and 12 members working on it. My role in the team is as an architect.

I would rate the Fortinet technical support a seven or eight out of ten. This would be improved with better regional support.

FortiWAN is the first product that we have used for WAN load balancing, and we are happy with it.

The installation and initial setup are very easy. We completed our deployment within eight hours.

I am part of the implementation team and we deploy this solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this product is to complete a proof of concept so that you are comfortable with the use cases. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Senior System Administrator at Pulsar Knowledge Centre Pvt. Ltd.
Easy to deploy with good connectivity and robustness for managing WAN links
  • "The most valuable feature is connectivity."
  • "From a security perspective, FortiWAN needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This solution manages WAN links.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is connectivity. Without this solution, the major complaints from our customers are related to connectivity with their networks.

What needs improvement?

From a security perspective, FortiWAN needs to be improved. The data in FortiWAN is not secure because they are not upgrading to the latest technology, whereas the OEMs are upgrading day by day.

We have had no issues with stability. Everything is good.

This is a scalable solution. We have 100 users.

We have been in contact with Fortinet technical support and if we require anything then they are ready to provide support, as per our contract.

The initial setup is not complex. All of the Fortinet products are easy to deploy in the network. The deployment will take approximately one day.

We used our own team to deploy FortiWAN and they also handle the maintenance.

FortiWAN is not a cheap solution.

I have used many different solutions. Palo Alto and Cisco are more up to date security-wise than FortiWAN.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and my only complaint is about the security.

Download our free WAN Optimization Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Citrix, Riverbed, and more!
Updated: June 2022