IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

FileMaker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

FileMaker is #2 ranked solution in top Non-Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give FileMaker an average rating of 8 out of 10. FileMaker is most commonly compared to FoxPro: FileMaker vs FoxPro.
What is FileMaker?
Cross-platform relational database application
FileMaker Customers
VUHL, Reynolds Services Inc., Market Refrigeration Specialists, Sea Breeze Farm, Jordan Lindblad, Henry Schein Dental
FileMaker Video

Archived FileMaker Reviews (more than two years old)

HeikoWitte - PeerSpot reviewer
Account manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Leaderboard
A good database that's easy to use and quite stable
  • "It's a good application that's easy to use."
  • "The UE is not very up-to-date. It looks like something that was created in the 90s. In that sense, the user experience is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We are using FileMaker for our customers. When we are sending invoices, or making proposals, etc., we make calculations and offers to our customers via the solution. We also store our assets in the FileMaker inventory.

What is most valuable?

The database is the most useful aspect of the solution. It's where I spend most of my time when working with it. It's a good application that's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I've only used the solution for about five months, so I haven't used it long enough to notice if there are any features that are lacking. The UE is not very up-to-date. It looks like something that was created in the 90s. In that sense, the user experience is lacking. It would be nice if it was easier to export data. There's a lot of clicking involved. They should simplify the process so that it's not so difficult to send offers to our customers. It should be easier to do a global search. You must know what you are searching for and can't be vague, otherwise, you won't find what you need.

I've been using the solution for five months.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. In some instances, I've just had to make a call and the solution was adjusted according to my request. We use the solution every day, but I'm unsure if the company has plans to increase usage at this time. We are planning to grow this year, so it's possible that we might find that we need to scale the solution.

I've never contacted technical support, so I don't have any experience with them to speak of.

I was not present when the solution was originally implemented. They set up the solution maybe 10-15 years ago, and I just started using it when I came to the company.

What other advice do I have?

Our company is now an Apple premium reseller. I'm only a user of FileMaker within our organization. I'm not sure if I'm completely knowledgeable about a lot of the intricacies of the solution. The version of the solution we're using is FileMaker Pro 18 Advanced. 18.0.3.317. We have about 20-25 people on the solution at our organization and there are about three to four technicians running the solution that are admins. I'd advise others considering using the solution to test it out and try it first. If you plan to use it every day, it's important to talk to someone who uses it extensively to get a feel for what to expect. The UE is a bit difficult at first. I'd rate this solution eight out of ten. If they updated the user experience and made its look and feel more up-to-date I'd rate it higher.

Executive Medical Director with 51-200 employees
The Mercedes Benz of DB management and development with easy user and developer access

What is most valuable?

Secure server client network. Scripting is a gem and the engine behind many of my seemingly complicated but actually simple solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

Quality management runs through a collaborative platform. Many user defined levels and entries offer a excellent user interface ('web like') and outputs are tailor made for each management level incorporating reports, graphs, exports and links to communications.

What needs improvement?

It is expensive to run a client server set up in a large corporation due to the requirement to purchase individual licences, thus changing to JS or similar web based programming is tempting...However FM remains very easy to develop without need for a large IT team. Dynamic field presentation on the front end is lacking and requires roundabout scripting.

10 years, started with version 5

FM is nearly an out of the box solution. As our solution grew over the years we have had to go back and redesign a number of solutions to avoid system lag. Bit this is inherent to all systems.

FM is extremely stable,

1. Finance: any expansion requires new licences

Customer Service: We work from Asia and support is particular poor. We rely on our IT team. That said, FM IS EXTREMELY STABLETechnical Support: Asia does not have great support

The battle between MS Access and FM is, in my opinion, easily won by FM.

Simple

We set up in-house. Skills required were simple client server networking.

We now run one server and 50 clients; Our running costs are minimal. At some stage we will move to FM12: as it has limited reverse compatibility it will require a total overhaul; with excellent new JS node etc languages and solutions becoming available, we may ADD this to our solutions

At the time we reviewed FoxPro, Access. Now we would include any JS development in the discussion, however this would require expert IT support.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great starter to commence with in the world of database management, even if you have limited development knowledge and is a sure bet for professional and long term expansion. Plenty of support and documentation out there.
Product Categories