IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Entrinsik Informer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Entrinsik Informer?

Founded in 1984, Entrinsik is an established, global software company based in Raleigh, North Carolina. Entrinsik Informer 5 is a robust, extensible data discovery and analytics platform that simplifies the process of accessing, cleansing, blending, and analyzing on-prem and cloud data. Aggregate disparate data using a single web-based platform to create a cohesive, curated, governed data hub for self-service data analysis. Explore, visualize and analyze relevant data on the fly. Securely publish Reports and collaborate with colleagues. Generate Dashboards that consolidate critical performance metrics.

Contact us at informersales@entrinsik.com, 888-703-0016 for to schedule a one-on-one conversation or demo.
Entrinsik Informer Customers

Elon University, North Carolina Community College System, American University, American Museum of Natural History, New York Botanical Gardens, BP North America, Campbell University, Carnegie Museum of Pittsburgh, Linux Foundation, Julliard, Lake County Sheriff's Office, Raleigh Police Department, Loyola University, R & R Insurance, Schoolcraft College, Texas A&M, Two Rivers Insurance Company, University of Alabama, Advanced Medial Transport, Texas Title

Entrinsik Informer Video

Archived Entrinsik Informer Reviews (more than two years old)

Systems Analyst / Data Architect at a university with 51-200 employees
Informer empowers end-users with the tools to retrieve their data quickly and efficiently

What is most valuable?

The logical creation of selection criteria make data retrieval much easier to teach end-users. The ability to create custom functions also allows for business intelligence at their fingertips.

How has it helped my organization?

FPU continues to use informer as our main retrieval and delivery system. Pulling data from so many datasources and delivering it via email or writing files for systems integrations, it's an invaluable tool.

What needs improvement?

While not as robust as other platform/systems, informer could continue to expand it's offerings in their dashboard offerings.

Fresno Pacific University has been an informer user for 10+ years.
Business Intelligence (BI) Tools
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Entrinsik, Tableau, Microsoft and others in Business Intelligence (BI) Tools. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The installation is very simple. Once our server was setup, we installed the software, added a datasource and was writing reports within an hour.

There have been a few issues with stability over the years. Their developers are very responsive and have always worked with us to ensure we had resolution quickly.

The tool itself doesn't have a problem with scalability, sometimes the systems it reports against are the bottleneck.

Customer Service: Excellent. Every case I've opened with them, or phone call I have had have been more than helpful. It is clear they care both about my needs as a customer and their product. Technical Support: Excellent. Each question I've asked, intelligent or not, has been met with the same level of professionalism and expertise. I always feel they will come to some resolution if possible and they do.

Our previous solution barely qualifies as a solution. What we were doing before had so many steps between request and delivery, we couldn't keep up with demand, let alone account for the changes to data. We switched because this tool empowers our users to get their data when they want consistently and reliably.

The initial setup is now very straightforward. The installshield wizard walks you through and makes the whole setup a breeze.

We implemented with a team here at our institution, with myself as the driver and many others in support. We did not use a vendor team.

It's difficult to quantify the ROI on the data that has been retrieved. I can say, just by using informer and calculating the time spent executing the reports, it saves us over 1 FTE a year. And that's just in the time spent executing the reports, it also cuts out the formatting and delivery we used to have to do, so I can easily say we save over 2 FTE a year.

Our setup cost was the server, I don't know the exact cost, but we have scaled it up over the years.

Not really, what we needed, a solution to report against our Unidata DB backend (multivalued) just wasn't available at the enterprise level we wanted. Informer was not chosen by default, however. Informer brought an impressive tool that exceeded our expectations and needs.

What other advice do I have?

We use informer constantly. It is integral, it is vital, it is invaluable. We quite simply could not continue without this tool. It is the workhorse behind so much of what drives our institution operationally and in terms of integrations.
Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A workhorse for reporting that is intuitive and user friendly.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is intuitive and simple. I rarely have to ask for help from IT to use this software.

The ability to create custom scripts in Java is wonderful and though I know very little Java I still find this useful to have this flexibility.

The forum is helpful, especially for finding Java code that I can use or modify for my needs.

How has it helped my organization?

The Live Excel feature is a wonderful tool. It has allowed me to automate many reports that I used to run over and over and let the end-users be able to run them whenever they want on their own. They love not having to come back to me to ask for the same data, but for a new term. With Live Excels they can just enter the new value and the report refreshes with live data.

What needs improvement?

There are some features that are available in Informer that aren't available in the Live Excel documents that are created. It would be nice to have the ability to have all the feature in the Live Excel documents.

3 years

This is not my area of expertise as I did not deploy this software, but as far as I know I have not heard of any issues.

No, the system runs very reliably and is stable 99% of the time. Whenever there do seem to be interruptions they seem to be more related to our network issues rather than any fault of the software itself.

This is not my area of expertise as I am not the software administrator, but as far as I know I have not heard of any issues.

They have been great the few times I needed to check with them. I have not had to contact them very often so this also is a testimony to the quality of product that Informer is.

I was used to using TELNET (colon prompt) for all my reporting before we adopted Informer. At first, the graphic user interface seemed slower and more cumbersome, but over time I've realized that tools like the Live Excels and the ability to connect between different files in the database seamlessly make up more than enough for the slower graphic user interface instead of a command prompt.

What other advice do I have?

Entrinsik Informer is a great solution. As an end user and heavy report writer I find it useful and intuitive. Compared to other solutions I have used in the past, I find Informer to be the best. I couldn't imagine doing my work without this great tool!

Business Intelligence (BI) Tools
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Business & Applications Analyst with 51-200 employees
Super reporting tool in interfacing with Community Colleges.

What is most valuable?

Packaging tool lets you share report designs easily and efficiently.

Versatile in report design with script writing capability.

How has it helped my organization?

Normally programs can take as long as 6 weeks during its review and approval of new release packages to the Colleges.

The Informer product allows the easy flow in the approval process especially with the incorporation of the Import and Export Packaging feature. This packaging feature allows for a developer within one environment to share their reports to other developers in a different mapping of files and fields environment. Saving time and possibility of errors during conversion.

What needs improvement?

The use of computer columns created locally will not work in the logic but does work in the reports columns. More attention to how it can work in both places can be improved.

2 years

Minimum deployment issues have been encountered or in my experience while work this this particular application.

Minimum stability issues have been encountered or in my experience while work this this particular application.

Minimum scalability issues have been encountered or in my experience while work this this particular application.

Good customer service. Even better Community Forum and training services while work this this particular application.

Very Good Technical Support with both on-site and webinar training classes available while work this this particular application.

Can not comment on this piece of the product. I work for the Community College Systems office and all parts of application purchase and installation performed by upper management.

What other advice do I have?

I have use the software for 2 years and enjoy the versatility and ease. I work for the Community College Systems office and can not comment and a couple of your questions but in my years of IT experience this product (in my opinion) rates high.

Programmer Analyst at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Great Tool for a busy IT department, easy to use and implement.

Valuable Features

The easy of use and implement with our MultiValue database (UniVerse) and our SQL servers.

Improvements to My Organization

• Informer allowed the end-user to create, scheduled and emailed reports. The Live Excel reporting is a great function when you want to share the report among the user community.
  • Before Informer the end-users were relying on a busy IT department to create a process that generate needed request.

Room for Improvement

• We would like the ability to generate a report using multiple datasources.
  • Presently we generate separate reports from our MultiValue database and our SQL server.

Use of Solution

We have used this utility for four years.

The customer service is great any issue is resolved in a timely fashion.

The customer support is excellent, with the knowledge of the product and ability to resolve any issue that we have encountered.

Institutional Research Specialist with 501-1,000 employees
Very User Friendly

What is most valuable?

The live excel function has been our most valuable as we can push out reports that program people can run anytime they want. It has taken the burden for tracking performance off IT/IR and placed it back with the program, where it should be.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Informer, data was difficult for end-users to obtain on their own. They also struggled with asking for exactly what they were interested in learning. Consequently, decisions were often made with old, lacking, or erroneous data. As we expand Informer usage, end-users can call about a query, ask to have a different field added to it, and IR can immediatlely make that change. The process is much faster and a better line of communication has been developed between those needing data and those providing it.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we think Informer is running slowly, but I suspect that has more to do with how we have it installed at our institution.

Six Years

Deployment would have been faster if we had already had a data dictionary created. We opted to not add all Datatel/Ellucian fields to Informer; to only add those fields that are filled with real and accurate data. The data dictionary created held up our deployment and is something that we are still working on from time to time.

EXCELLENT - any time we contact support, they are very quick to respond and will stay with the issue until you are satisfied.

No, we shopped around on the front end, and Entrinsik Informer was the choice we made.

Straightforward - closer to "out-of-the-box" than any other product I have been involved with at my institution.

In-house for the initial implementation but we have hired a vendor team for training and initial creation of our dashboards. Their expertise is just that - expert!

iStragegies, Crystal Reports

What other advice do I have?

Get it - you won't be disappointed!

Sr. Donor Data Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Great Product. I have so much more to learn.

What is most valuable?

• Mappings/Mapped Files.
  • Scheduling.
  • Saving Reports.
  • Quick launch is great.
  • Live Excel Reporting is great.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows me to schedule and share reports. Quick launch is great. Easy to share reports with campus partners. Live Excel has really benefited me by saving time.

What needs improvement?

More tutorials and free training. There is a lot to learn and having short cut learning tools would be great.

Six years

Larger reports can hang up, but not sure if that is an Informer issue.

Used Query Builder in Datatel. It was time to advance.

I appreciate the scheduling, saving, quick launch and ease of sharing of reports.

Database Administrator at a university with 51-200 employees
Informer is easy to setup, easy to use, and our users love it.

What is most valuable?

• We needed to be able to report off of a UniData database and Informer was the best tool to do that. Since they have added support for other databases it is now used to report off of all of our databases.
  • The report scheduler has been valuable. Before Informer users could not schedule their reports.
  • End user customization. The ability for the end users to customize their reports to how they want them to look is a great feature.
  • The ability to combine data on the same report from multiple data sources.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Informer our reporting system looked like something out of the 1980's. Users hated the way reports were run, how they looked, and how long it took to develop a new report. Since implementing Informer our users are much happier with reporting. Many of our users are able to create their own reports and all of our users are able to modify their reports to change sorting, grouping, column layout, add/remove columns, etc.

What needs improvement?

We have a lot of reports in Informer and many of them are old and no longer in use. I am reluctant to delete old reports because occasionally we will grab an old report and modify it for a specific need but I would like the ability to archive reports so they don't show up in the general list of reports. It would also be nice to have the option to archive all reports that haven't been run in X number of days.

5+ years

Deployment was incredibly easy. We had Informer running and producing reports the first day we had it.

It's been pretty stable.

Entrinsik provides excellent customer service.

Entrinsik provides excellent technical support.

We used native UniData reporting. We switched for many reasons, Informer has more security than the native DB reporting, it is far more end-user customizable, users can schedule their own reports, users can export the data to many formats without IT programming the export, etc.

The initial setup was super easy. The installation documentation was good and the user documentation was easy to understand.

We implemented in-house.

Informer has been one of the best purchases we have made. The other reporting options we had were all very expensive and cumbersome systems. Informer was an easy decision.

I can't remember what our initial cost was but it was far less than any of the other options we looked at. The day to day cost is pretty minimal. The annual maintenance is very reasonable for the benefit we receive from Informer.

We evaluated Safari and MITS. Our options were limited because our database runs on UniData but Informer was easily the best of our options.

What other advice do I have?

It is well worth your time to install the software and "kick the tires". Entrinsik has a free trial of the software and it is easy to install and get started writing reports.

Developer with 51-200 employees
Very user friendly

What is most valuable?

End users are extremely pleased with the ease of use and low learning curve to get a report written. Executives are very excited with the dashboard feature which gives them instant, real-time access to figures needed for operations.

How has it helped my organization?

Faculty Department Chairs have just received access to Informer and are very excited to be able to manage their advisees, faculty load, and student activities with reports. Previously these tasks were time intensive and involved many meetings and emails to get results.

What needs improvement?

The security features are a bit ubiquitous. I appreciate the vast levels of security, but it can be a bit overwhelming in trying to set up. Road maps showing different examples of security setups would help.

3 years

No issues in deploying Informer, other than the security setup may have taken a little longer than we would have liked.

Previous versions of Informer had issues with certain browsers, but that all seems to be in the past with the current version.

No issues with scalability.

Entrinsik's customer service is excellent. Very prompt responses to issues.

Technical support is very responsive and has been great.

Our previous reporting solution was no longer viable with our new software upgrade. We researched a few different products and were very impressed with the Informer reporting solution.

The initial setup and installation was fairly easy and fast.

We implemented the product in house.

The return on investment is immeasurable. We have empowered more employees than ever with report creation. Our faculty are very excited to be able to manage and gather data previously unavailable to them to help guide their decisions.

Obviously the cost of the product is considered in the startup cost. But other than the price of the software, the cost to install, setup, and maintain the software is minimal.

Yes, we looked at creating an in-house datawarehouse using Microsoft products to create reports. We also looked at using Business Objects provided by Ellucian's Colleague.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are very pleased with our decision to purchase and use Entrinsik's Informer.

Consultant at a university with 51-200 employees
Provides users with a uniform interface even when data sources are from different systems

What is most valuable?

• Informer is or has become our standard reporting tool for all systems.
  • Finding links to data items within the file that one is reporting on.

How has it helped my organization?

Has allowed users to create their own reports and to make changes to reports. I.E: Custom when needed or wanted.

What needs improvement?

• Better on line/within product help maybe a e-Learning session for users.
  • Can you get stats on report usage by users who are running the reports - would help to find reports that were created for a one time use and are no longer needed. Like a listing of who was the last run by and date - across all who logged in to Informer.

Almost 3 years

No, Once in a while I heare that the server will need to be re-booted to re-set connections to all data bases.

Have not had the need to do so yet.

Have not relied on support yet.

Have not relied on support yet, a colleague reports no problems dealing with support.

Not here, This was installed when I came here. I have used other reporting tools and Informer is a better product that what I have at another job site.

As I stated was not here for the setup/start up. My Initial learning was a little rough.

I think we used a vendor team.

I support this product and only deal with it a few hours a month or so.

Before me.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to have a report version tool - to log what reports are run and by who. This wou;d be helpful.

Senior Developer at a university with 51-200 employees
Empower the end user

What is most valuable?

The ability to let the end users get data and to customize reports.

How has it helped my organization?

Informer allowed the IT department to focus on other systems instead of retrieving the data.

What needs improvement?

The big issue for us is that there is no way to cancel a report from the browser. If an end user creates an incorrect report and runs it, they have to contact the IT department to kill that SQL thread/process.

None.

Very good customer service.

Very good technical support.

Straightforward.

In-house.

More time for both IT department and end users.

Minimal.

SRSS

What other advice do I have?

Informer did a great job helping end users.

Director of Information Technology at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Excellent, user friendly reporting tool

What is most valuable?

The user friendly aspect of the interface and flexibility of usage. Security is robust but simple to implement.

How has it helped my organization?

Now we have users who can edit and create their own reports. We can automate reporting, including emailing reports.

What needs improvement?

More integration with MS Office, better description of the fields and where and how they are used.

4 years

Not so far

Excellent

Excellent

No, we didn't previously use a different solution.

The installation is straightforward, deciding how to map your data is complex because the data is complex.

In-house team

1 year

$25k, $7k annually

Yes, Ellucian's CROA.

Programmer Analyst with 501-1,000 employees
Great reporting tool.

What is most valuable?

• Using links between files
  • Using save list for communication management and mailing and more

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it for reporting purposes which is working much better than selecting from column prompt.

What needs improvement?

Reporting for a wide range of information. Different department base by their requirement.

I would like to be able to use fields from third file links which is right now limited and difficult.

More than 5 years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

9 out of 10.

9 out of 10.

We were using Unidata and Unibasic at column prompt to create reports.

Setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Like I said in my previous comment, accessing fields using third links between files.

HRIS Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Great for auditing purposes

What is most valuable?

I think the analytics are great. I enjoy creating reports using scripts to get to exactly the data I need.

How has it helped my organization?

I can now run reports and use them in conjunction with some of my other audits for a full picture of a given time period. Especially great for for payroll audits.

What needs improvement?

I wish there was a cron expression for bi-weekly. This becomes problematic with payroll audits. Even using a 15 day solution doesn't always work especially for months like February.

2 years

Some of our reports didn't convert as expected but most of those reports needed to be re-written.

None that I remember.

I did notice some result parameters had to be expanded but that was a quick resolution.

8/10, I've never had an issue.

9/10, I think the tech team really know their product and offer great support.

Yes. Moving over was a college wide decision.

What other advice do I have?

It's been a good experience so far. I'm looking to learning about more functionality that we haven't really tapped into such as dashboards.

Associate Vice President at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Provides the much requested AdHoc reporting from end-users

What is most valuable?

Prior to licensing Informer, trained report writers were executing queries at the database level. This required custom programs to secure files/fields and left gaping holes where ens-users could overwrite Vocabulary records for files and directories with the name of a report. By moving our end-users into a reporting tool solution, we were able to secure files and fields, allow users to make copies of report without changing the original version and schedule reports to key decision making on a regular basis. My IT staff was relieved of having to create links to files through computed or calculated fields to get from file to file as it iq quite easy do make the links right within Informer itself. The export features provide the flexibility of using varying formats - the .pdf totals, subtotals and detail data is the absolute bomb! The Excel exports still satisfy the Finance folks. I would also like to add that Tech Support has been nothing but stellar since implementation. If we can' figure out a way to do or execute something, we call, get a real person and its usually resolved quickly. If it needs escalation, we can expect to see an enhancement available next release. It is one of the best investments Barry University has ever made.

How has it helped my organization?

The most valuable aspect is being able to provide Ad-Hoc reporting at the fingertips of our end-users without having to wait on IT to handle a request. My IT staff was relieved of having to create links to files through computed or calculated fields to get from file to file as it iq quite easy do make the links right within Informer itself. The export features provide the flexibility of using varying formats - the .pdf totals, subtotals and detail data is the absolute bomb! The Excel exports still satisfy the Finance folks. I would also like to add that Tech Support has been nothing but stellar since implementation. If we can' figure out a way to do or execute something, we call, get a real person and its usually resolved quickly. If it needs escalation, we can expect to see an enhancement available next release. It is one of the best investments Barry University has ever made.

What needs improvement?

More reporting available in the hands of end-users and key decision makers. More secure features around sensitive and confidential data.

We have used Informer since August of 2007 within our IT department. Loaded our Colleague database, did some quick file/field level clean-up and deployed to the Superusers with reporting knowledge. With the latest version, we were able to separate out the report writers from the launchers and now it is deployed to 85% of our system users.

None what-so-ever

Extremely satisfying.

Extremely satisfying.

We originally purchased Safari but it was overall too complex for the standard end-user and report building by IT was not intuitive and very complex.

Entrinsik provided a detailed implementation plan. They came on-site for 3 days working with IT Tech administration, super-users and actually developing the needed reports.

Vendor team and the experience was excellent.

Priceless.

Informer for up to 225 UniData users @ $17,500. Included:

• One year of warranty support
  • One year of phone support
  • One year of free product upgrades
  • One web training session

Annual maintenance thereafter $3,500 with minor increases. Well worth the price compared to some reporting tools costing $50-60K

This solution fit the best as we are a Colleague/Unidata Client - Ellucian was not providing the reporting tools needed by the clients. We attend SEDUG and was convinced it was the solution we needed after attending a vendor session.

What other advice do I have?

We have signed a contract with Workday and will be moving off the Colleague product over the next 3-4 years. Get in with Workday as an alternative reporting tool. It would make the transition a much smoother one for our end-users.

Financial Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Gives live feed for reporting, data is more accurate, once main report is written it can be used in various ways.

What is most valuable?

I work in the Budgeting office and am a financial report writer. I have been able to write transactional reports as well as budget to actual summary reports. I have them set up in a way that when someone asks me for something, I can pull the data out quickly and easily to match their purposes. Once the reports are written it can be molded for many different scenarios. Once I became more familiar with the data and Java Script, I was able to build very nice reports. This saves valuable time building the reports in Excel from pieces of data. I can get the data in one sheet and work from there.

How has it helped my organization?

I can provide more timely reports for all levels of the college.

What needs improvement?

You have to know Java scripting for getting over hurdles. I wish it was more user friendly out of the box. It is geared towards Student Data. It took awhile to build a good Financial Reporting tool.

Since 2010

Not that I was aware of.

None.

Always available for questions. The blog is very helpful.

Good. I get answers quickly.

I used a combination of downloads with Excel. It was very time consuming and error prone. I still used Excel for many things, but my data behind it is much more solid.

Systems Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Easy access to all of my data

What is most valuable?

The ability to create run time computed columns is one of the best features in informer. Being able to manipulate data ad hoc as necessary without making changes to our ERP database is incredibly helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization uses Informer extensively. Because of the easily understandable UI, end users are able to retrieve their own data with little or no IT support. The ability to schedule and deliver reports has also helped to streamline processes by eliminating the need for users to pass information along manually.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see further development on customizability options in the dashboard module. Geomapping and color selection parameters are two areas that lack at the moment.

10 years

Not that I am aware of.

I have not had a need to contact Entrinsik service directly. I do wish that there was a better response to questions raised on the user forum.

I have not had a need to contact Entrinsik support directly. I do wish that there was a better response to questions raised on the user forum.

Previous reporting was handled at the database level via a terminal emulator. Informer was a much easier tool for end users to work with.

I was not involved in the initial set up of the product.

We implemented in house.

What other advice do I have?

In my experience Informer is a powerful tool that can be used in a variety of ways to allow end users to get easy access to their data.