IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Eaton PredictPulse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Eaton PredictPulse Buyer's Guide

Download the Eaton PredictPulse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Eaton PredictPulse?

PredictPulse Insight is the first cloud-based analytics service for data center infrastructure to predict the failure of power components. The new service adds predictive analytics to Eaton’s next generation PredictPulse remote monitoring service, shifting power monitoring from a reactive to a proactive model. The new PredictPulse is a cloud-based monitoring and management service that collects and analyzes data from connected power infrastructure devices, providing us with the insight needed to make recommendations and take action on your behalf.

Eaton PredictPulse was previously known as PredictPulse.

Eaton PredictPulse Video

Eaton PredictPulse Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Eaton PredictPulse pricing:
  • "It's part of our service contracts, so it's not broken down as a separate line item."
  • "In order to give us the latest, greatest version of PredictPulse, Eaton had to give us new cards on our UPS systems. Eaton provided the cards and had our technician install them at no cost to us."
  • Eaton PredictPulse Reviews

Automation Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    If you have a fault, it will tell you what the fault is
    • "PredictPulse tells me stuff like, "Hey, this room's too hot," that's going to kill my UPS. That's going to shut this thing down. It might prevent a power outage. Right there, that one's not quite as critical, but you're talking, if they go down, tens of thousands at a minimum of loss. So, it pays for itself by having the ability to know without having to walk out there all the time and look at it, because people will get busy, then they won't do their rounds and stuff getting missed. With PredictPulse, it doesn't get missed."
    • "They have redone the monthly report to make them easier to read through."

What is our primary use case?

We get a monthly report, which is emailed to me from Eaton, with PredictPulse. We don't have software onsite. We just get the monthly report emailed to us. Then, I have the ability to use a web browser, like Microsoft Edge or Chrome, to dial into the IP address of the device and look at it. We have 11 Eaton UPSs, which take on through controls equipment processes that basically cannot shut down. If they shut down, it gets extremely ugly, extremely quick. So, to prevent it from shutting them down, we have UPS systems which protect them and are scattered throughout our plant. It's a large physical facility, so we have 11 of them, and they are scattered throughout the plant.  The UPSs are very reliable. We're about to replace one that's 19 years-old. They've been using them longer than that, but the oldest one that we have is either a 2001 or 2003 model. However, at that difference, it's not that big a deal as far as electronic equipment goes. The UPS, if they have a fault for any reason, it tells you. We have remote locations. Nobody goes in there on a frequent basis. So, it tells me, "Hey, you have a problem," without me having to jump in the truck (or on the bicycle) and ride over to the plant, checking them weekly or monthly, to see if they're good. I get instant analysis on things. If there is a critical fault, I know within seconds. I get an email saying, "Hey, you have a critical fault on this thing. Here is what your critical fault is." That is a huge advantage. If there are other issues that are not critical, like the temperature, that I don't need to fix immediately but do need to be fixed very soon, it gives me notice so I can get the issue resolved before we do have a power blip that shuts our process down. It provides a very valuable function, which is vital for me. The solution has helped proactively mitigate risk of issues, such as thermal events, because they put temperature probes in all the UPS units. I get these all the time, and UPSs do not like extreme heat and neither does my other equipment that is in those rooms. So this helps me monitor the whole room. It isn't the UPS's fault that the AC went out, but it allows me to see that and notify people. People go to some of these rooms about once a month. You don't want your room at 100-plus degrees for over a month before somebody realizes it. So, it helps mitigate UPS and other issues.

How has it helped my organization?

I just got a handy dandy email telling me my control room is over temperature, which is endangering the UPS. Therefore, I know to call the HVAC guy to go out there and fix the air conditioning in that unit. It's a unit that nobody visits very often. If the air conditioner craps out, it could sit up there a couple of weeks at 140 degrees and nobody would know it. That could absolutely destroy a UPS and other equipment that is in there. I get automatic emails telling me, "Hey, this thing is at 95 degrees, and that equipment is not supposed to run at over about 75 degrees." That is a huge benefit of it right there. Years ago, we had an issue. Somebody made a booboo. They wired a receptacle into the wrong panel. This is a receptacle that runs high energy power equipment. It would trip the UPS out. The UPS was no longer functioning because it drew so much amperage that the UPS tripped. That is not the UPS's fault. It is whomever wired it; a contractor got the wrong panel by accident. Therefore, our unit had no protection. If the power blips, even for a fraction of a second, the losses were in hundreds of thousands of dollars. We were not protected, but I got my handy dandy email that blipped, saying, "Hey, you got a fault on this thing." We kept getting faults, and I was finally able to figure out, "Hey, it's one of the contractors working with his power drill out there." We were able to figure it out because of the constant updates via email stating that, "We had a problem."  We get a lot of lightning storms. However, if the power would have blipped from a lightning storm, and the UPS had not been working, then it's an immediate six-figure loss. By having the emails coming to me, it told me the issue, then I was able to get it resolved before we lost power. Another example: Something shorted out in our process. I didn't know what, and some people said, "Oh, this has happened several times recently." I was able to go back and look at the database, which is easy to pull up, as I can put in a date a year ago, and cycle through it really quick, and say, "No, there have been no extreme phase overloads in the last year, except the one that happened last Tuesday morning at 8:04 AM." That's helpful for me, having that database there, because I can pull and sort through to see if anything like that happened preceding the fault last Tuesday.

What is most valuable?

It tells me, "Hey, we had a problem." Last night, something happened at the power company substation, and I'm about ready to go to bed at about 10:38 PM, but I have all these emails. Uh-oh, we have power issues at the plant. I know we have power issues before they even have time to call me from the plant, and it's all over the plant. I'm going, "Okay that is the power company. That's not us." It lets us know so we can address the issue sooner rather than later. If you're looking at power imbalances and stuff, you can look at your load, and go, "Oh, phase A is overloaded or phase B is underloaded." Then, during the shutdown, you can do stuff that balances the load more. The main thing is just knowing ahead of time that there are issues. If the UPSs are in an office building where everybody is at, that is not that big a deal. However, when they are nearly a mile from my office and it's in a room that people very seldom go into, you have no idea and it is on a very important process. So, I get the emails, and if I need to, I can pull it up on the web browser and look at it. All of these features are very helpful. If you have a fault, it will tell you what the fault is. Just like if you went out there remotely and looked at it. It gives you, e.g., lost source. This means I've lost my power coming into it.  The emails don't give you in-depth alarm notices, but they do give you enough. For example, if I get utility power missing, then I'm like, "Okay, that tells me, incoming power is gone." It allows us to hopefully get someone headed this way and get the issue resolved before the UPSs die and all the control systems go down.

What needs improvement?

They have redone the monthly report to make them easier to read through. They made it a little bit easier to go through and scan all of my UPSs into that report. The information is the same, but now it is easier to scan through.
    Eaton PredictPulse
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Eaton PredictPulse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using it for three or four years. The company has been using it for a while. They were using dial up modems to dial out and indicate they had issues with stuff, then they got it hooked up to Ethernet connections. This was before I started working here.

The stability has been very good. I have not had any issues with bogus or bad PredictPulse stuff. We have not had any downtime with it. We have had issues where we lost a switch, but that is not PredictPulse. That's between PredictPulse and the UPS. It is also not the UPS's fault that a switch fails.

We have three replacement units that maybe coming online by the end of the year, if nothing goes wrong or changes. There are a couple of other people besides me who can get the emails. There just three people who look at it. Two of them really don't look at it much. Mainly, it's just me looking at it. We have 15 units onsite. Four of them are so old they aren't sending emails. Therefore, we have 11 units that are really receiving the full PredictPulse. Hopefully, three of those will get changed out this year, then we will have 14 units sending out PredictPulse reports every month with availability and stuff. However, that is just because they are very old. It is not worth trying to make those work at this point, as it's just me looking at it. There are electricians who go and fix electrical or power issues going to these things or I call the folks to fix the HVAC. I get the emails and notices, then schedule the electrician or technician to come in and work on them. This is just a small amount of my job. It is not a major thing on our part to manage it and keep up with it. We are adding one more new UPS. I would like to get all 16 UPSs on PredictPulse. That would be something that we would like to do. That is the only increase that we're going to do. We just need it on all the machines. As we upgrade these old obsolete units, we'll get them on the network and should have all of that resolved. Hopefully, within a year, I will have all 16 units on PredictPulse.

The 24/7 monitoring is good. I don't know if it's as critical because I get the automatic emails. Typically, when they call and tell me, "Hey, you've got a problem," I'm like, "I've already have an email." However, sometimes during the middle of the night, I get an email and it doesn't wake me up. If it's critical, they will say, "Hey, you have a critical issue with this," and so I get a phone call, which does help. Because you get so many emails, you don't want it waking you up all through the night. This is its advantage, then I can look at the email and figure out what we need to do to get the issue resolved. For example, there was an extreme overtemperature, where the switch failed, and it locked the heater in on the MCC room in the middle of the summer. Even though it was at night, the heater was running, so they called me. They woke me up on that one, and they're like, "Buddy, it's like 120 degrees in your MCC room." That's getting critical. So, we were able to get folks directed that way who shut off the heater instantly, and then we fixed the thing when the normal crew came first thing in the morning.  For other issues, we are typically already hearing from the operators. So, the 24/7 monitoring is good, but I don't know if it's absolutely critical for my application. We have a next day service with them. If I call them today, they're here tomorrow. The capacitors and batteries are not covered under warranty, so on the older units, they tell me, "Hey, your capacitors are near the end of their life. The UPS looks good but your capacitors are near the end of their life. You need to replace those before much longer." This is not covered under the warranty because the capacitors and batteries are a wear item, like the tires on your car. They tell me, "Hey, these need to be replaced," and that's part of the annual PM, where they come in and check stuff. They'll open it up and look at it.  One was very obvious. The guy pointed out, "Hey, look at your capacitors; they're swelling." The top is supposed to be flat, but it was rounded off. It was easy to see those things are rounded off. They were bad and swelling. Something inside had failed. They were at the end of their life and had failed. So, they were able to do that before we ever had power loss from the UPS. Part of their annual PM is having them come in, and they are proactive and checking things. However, they don't typically replace the parts before they fail. We will do the PMs annually, which are done during our shutdown. So, we will do shutdowns and tell Eaton, "We will be shutting down this week. These are the best days for your guy to come in." That is regardless of the PredictPulse, which is more for the day-to-day maintenance. The annual PM revolves around our shutdowns because they don't want anybody messing with the UPS when everything is running. They would rather do it when everything is shutdown. We have a PredictPulse alarm. The technician seemed to know what it was, and when I talked to the technician, and the guy was going, "Man, I am swamped. That is not going to shut you down. Reset it if you can, and could I come the next day?" I was like, "I'm fine with it." So, he didn't come the next day per contract, but I also didn't want the man in here after he had just worked 24 to 28 hours straight either. So, the issue was something that wasn't going to shut my plant down, but it better prepared him. Because he could look at it, and go, "Oh, that's not an issue that's going to blow your UPS up, and I can fix it then." Other times, you can look at it, and go, "Hey, this is what we have," and he's going, "Oh, I don't have that board in my truck. It's going to take me 30 minutes longer to get there, but I will run by my house and get my spare parts out of the garage because that fault is 99.99 percent of the time this power board. So, I'm going to put that in my truck before I come up there." We're like two hours from his house, so the last thing I need him do is drive up here, and then go, "Oh crap, I need that board," and then turn around and have to go back. By having the PredictPulse, and it saying, "Here's what your fault is." Then, he can say, "This is what it is the vast majority of the time," and get the board before he comes up here.  It helps him prepare, rather than just going, "Okay, I've got a UPS fault." That doesn't help a whole lot. By having the PredictPulse with the errors popping up, he can say, "Yeah, that's probably this one. It will take me a little bit longer to get there, but I'm going to go by and do this on the way."

I don't know what they did before PredictPulse here.

It was a absolute major pain to set up in the organization, but that was not PredictPulse, that was our IT department. If you take a new system and go online with it, it is absolutely horrible because PredictPulse has to send an email out, and it is incredibly difficult to get our IT security to allow the solution to send an email out. We hook it up with Eaton, then it's ready to go. I can immediately ping and pull it up with the web browser and look at the system, but then IT blocks it for the next three months while we try to convince them to let it out.

The Eaton technician has the setup done before he leaves at the end of the day. It is not that big of a deal. They came in and did it for us so we did not have to do it. Even without them, I think we could have done it fairly easily. To just add the cards to a system that did not previously have the card, the UPS tech comes in and he calls his 1-800 number for his engineering support. They talk about it a bit, and in a couple of hours or so, they have it working. The only time I talked to their tech support was when we first were putting one in and couldn't get it to email out. That turned out it was our IT department. They gave me the information I needed to go to our IT department. I called Eaton and they directed me to their PredictPulse expert there. That's the only time we've ever had to use the PredictPulse tech support.

It has probably saved us six figures several times. That's my opinion, because it allows us to fix issues before they bite us. If there wasn't a return on investment, I would be telling them, "Hey, let's get rid of this junk. It ain't worth it." But, I think it is worth it. Having a technician look at it once a year and advise the capacitors that were bad by saying, "Here they are. They're bad." Anybody can tell they're bad when he points it out. Look at them swelling. That prevented the plant from going down. That was only one unit, but it would have been six figures if it flipped even for a fraction of a second. PredictPulse tells me stuff like, "Hey, this room's too hot," that's going to kill my UPS. That's going to shut this thing down. It might prevent a power outage. Right there, that one's not quite as critical, but you're talking, if they go down, tens of thousands at a minimum of loss. So, it pays for itself by having the ability to know without having to walk out there all the time and look at it, because people will get busy, then they won't do their rounds and stuff getting missed. With PredictPulse, it doesn't get missed. Someone doesn't have to waste time gliding around the plant checking the UPSs that are warped. PredictPulse notifies you which makes it so you don't have to worry about it. Nobody has to waste any time going and looking at these things. We get emails saying, "Hey, I'm not happy," for whatever reason. I really don't know how often we would need to check them if we did not have PredictPulse. They probably would want somebody walking by and looking at them weekly, so I would say that we are saving several hours for someone a week.

It's part of our service contracts, so it's not broken down as a separate line item. The PredictPulse is wrapped in with the PMs that are done, so it's not like, "Oh, PredictPulse has half the PM cost. We need to get rid of that." I don't know what it costs. It's just all-in-one: Here is the price to do an annual PM, including PredictPulse, having the technician respond within one day of a call.

What other advice do I have?

It provides us the information and data that we need. I would recommend it. I had the PredictPulse mobile app on my other phone, but then they gave me a new phone and I need to get that loaded. I didn't have any issues with it at all when I used it. I was able to breeze through it with no problems. This was something they just started in the last few months. They sent me an email to put PredictPulse on my phone, and I loaded it, but then they sent me another phone and I have not loaded it. I explored it a little, but not a lot. Instead, I get the emails which tell me what's going on. That's what I rely more on than looking at the app.  I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10. I don't if it is perfect, but it is pretty close.
    System Engineer at a government with 51-200 employees
    Helpful, user-friendly solution that I can rely on
    • "Event Viewer saves me a lot of time when getting everything ready for our fire insurance rating inspection, once every seven to eight years."
    • "Right now, the problem with our emails is we do not have a way to separate emails to Eaton versus us. So, we get a lot of alerts that we might not get, which are almost considered spam. It would be nice if we could segregate them: This group of people gets these emails and this other group of people gets these emails. As of now, it's a shotgun approach where we get so many. It's like, "Oh God, another one," as opposed to being able to filter out exactly what we do want, since we don't want to miss any."

What is our primary use case?

We are a 911 center, so we have building-wide UPS. We have two very large UPSs, and each of our systems are on either UPS A or B. We were very careful to make sure that everything was on the same UPS. Therefore, if one goes down, we only lose half our center. That is why we went with Eaton. It is just built for that type of resilience. Resilience is everything when you are a 911 center. We have two PDUs supporting the UPSs: Model 9395-550 UPS units.

I use a weblink to access PredictPulse, primarily using the email. We have certain emails for critical things set up to come to us, so we don't really have to use the dashboard often. We use the solution as an alerting system.

Right now, we very carefully filter through and select the emails that we're interested in. When we get an email that says, "I'm sorry, this is going on," then we try to figure it out. For example, with circuit breaker overload, we say, "Let's look at our spreadsheet and see what that circuit breaker goes to. Let's go figure out why this is overloading. This is not good."

Another example might be if we get an email that says, "The building is on generator." Then, why is the building on generator?

Should there be a very catastrophic situation, then we get an email that says, "I'm sorry, but I'm running on UPS." This means we need to figure out why the generator didn't kick on and transfer to our emergency generator number three by using a manual transfer switch ASAP.

The solution is hired wired to our network.

How has it helped my organization?

We mostly use it for alerting via email. We rarely find a need to log in. However, when we do, a picture is worth a thousand words. The graphics are really nice if I want to give it someone. For example, if somebody said, "How reliable do you find Eaton?" I could print them those beautiful little graphics, and say, "Well, what do you think?"

What is most valuable?

The alerting and Event Viewer are the most valuable features. We have to maintain certain records for fire insurance ratings and Event Viewer helps with that.

The alarm notification calls have helped us feel more secure.

I like the dashboard and the way it looks. I like the pretty view.

The email is fantastic. If we just relied on using the web browser once a week on Mondays at two o'clock, then there was a generator failure or something significant on Friday, we don't want to find out on Monday. Therefore, we get instantaneous email. That is why so many people get the email, because whoever is on call/onsite gets that email.

What needs improvement?

It is just so reliable that we use the email and don't really use the app. The PredictPulse application dashboard lets us know about more information than is there. The reason we found out about this initially was I noticed it on our contract, "Wait a minute, we have what?"

My problem is that certain ports are blocked. I haven't figured out what the problem is and gotten the problem fixed. It might be nice to be able to have some configuration options.

It is part of our annual contract. We started using it in January of 2012. We used it minimally because our UPS board did not have the ability to provide everything that we now have. Over time, they have upgraded the board to upgrade the solution.

We have yet to have a failure since we have had them. We are a public safety, 911 center, so Eaton was selected for two reasons: its reliability and ability to go into power save mode.

The system is so reliable. We certainly count very heavily on our vendors as a 911 center. Also, we do have other 24/7 vendors who watch everything, which is important to us. As the system gets older, we may start relying on them more heavily to double check things, e.g., with some of our other systems, we had have them come in and remotely check everything before a hurricane because we can't take a chance.

We got a new control board with the new version of PredictPulse a little over a year ago. It's just so reliable that we haven't really gone in and played that much with what it does now that it's been updated.

I called their contact on their webpage for assistance: The first number was an invalid number and the second one got me to BMW who asked me for my contract number.

When the technical support updated Eaton, there was an issue with getting our accounts setup. It seems our email addresses have numbers in them, and apparently, that was the issue. So, we had to call tech support and create an account. They got that fixed. Other than that, I haven't had to call them. It took a while to fix, but they were very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to help us out.

Eaton has a subcontractor from General Power and Control Corp. that does the scheduling. Those kinds of things go through them rather than through Eaton themselves.

PredictPulse Insight might be something that would be feasible. I don't know if you need to have a place to add extra nodes, but if they could consider giving us a YouTube video on some of the features of it or a quick webinar, like Zoom meeting or training on it, to let us know what all we can do with it. Then, it might be feasible. Obviously, this is not something that you want to schedule right now when everybody is doing virtual conferences. We don't want to do anything now, as it's a 480 volt system. So, I'm not touching it.

Compared to our old solution, if we had a power failure and were on generator, we relied on text messages from Entergy or a text message from the people on the floor that said that the lights had been on dim for way too long.

I don't want to know what would happen if we had to go back to the old days where they sent emails that said I'm sorry that the lights went a little too long or the generator kicked in again. We knew that it kicked in for exercise on X day, X time, but you'd be surprised how often we didn't get that email. In fact, we had to set up a UPS workstation hiding in a corner, Then, when the power went off, it sent out an audible alert so they would know to send us an email.

One of the reasons Eaton was selected was the power save mode. In fact, I believe the building contractor had hoped to use what they considered some equivalent UPS system, and it was vetoed because it didn't have a power save feature. This one was spec'd, and we're very happy with it. We've always been extremely happy with the professionalism and training of the technicians.

When it was initially set up, we built a new building. This solution was spec'd to be put in the building when it was built. Before we took significant completion, they trained us, but it was installed before the building was active.

Eaton had to change the cards so we could use all of the features of PredictPulse. Apparently, there were some issues when we were getting it programmed. I believe it failed, then Eaton's person came in, but he got called out for an emergency so we didn't get the new one in and programed. So, for that two week period, we received an alert that said, "We can't see your equipment. What's going on?"

Our entire team is responsible for administrating and maintain this solution. This is our entire tech and facilities team, which includes approximately eight people.

It hasn't really saved us money. Because if the system goes down, we have to go to our backup sites. We need to have power. There is no way a 911 center could run without it though, it carries us over every time our generator kicks in. It gives us the confidence that should the generator fail, we have enough time to get our generator functional or get to our backup site. As a 911 center, we're not exactly a big office building or even a big medical center, so we need to have the suspenders and a belt.

This solution has kept us from having to go to the backup site due to the generator. We have had the generator fail and the automatic transfer switch fail, but the UPS carried us over.

The solution has saved us time and increased productivity by allowing us to focus on other tasks. We don't have to do a thing for this solution, other than schedule our preventative maintenance annually, e.g., we're scheduling the capacitors and batteries right now. We had some scheduling issues last year because it was hurricane season as well as all the problems with changing out the cards, but they did all the work for that.

Event Viewer saves me a lot of time when getting everything ready for our fire insurance rating inspection, once every seven to eight years.

In our case, the pricing and licensing were put it in our annual contract.

What other advice do I have?

While Eaton is not an educational application, it's very helpful and user-friendly. I learned I can rely on it.

I cannot access it using the web browser, but I'm going to fix that today.

I would rate this solution as a nine (out of 10).

Eaton PredictPulse
    July 2022
    610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Manager at LA METRO
    Technical data presented in reports reduces maintenance frequency and manpower
    • "The most valuable feature is the instant notification, remotely via email, of any change in the status of the UPS, which is important. The UPS's provide critical control functions, such as emergency lighting and operation of emergency communications for passengers, and operation of critical radio systems which are needed for communication between Metro and the local Sheriff department."
    • "You can also program a report at the frequency you choose — I chose a monthly frequency — and get a report from each unit describing the average performance throughout that time period. That's very critical because we can use that as a maintenance tool to monitor the health of the unit."
    • "I don't have problems with Eaton products, except that they're proprietary."

What is our primary use case?

The use case for PredictPulse is because of the critical function of the UPS's and the scarcity of manpower. Although we have a SCADA system, we wanted a monitoring system for the UPS's that will give us much information about their status, which would aid in quick maintenance, given the reduced manpower available.

We plan to install 25 Eaton 93PM UPS's. These UPS's are primarily used for emergency lighting and data notification in an emergency. They also operate our communication radios during an emergency.

This is our second generation of Eaton UPS's. Since the system opened we have had Eaton units and we're now replacing those obsolete units with the newer model UPS's. That means we are confident in the performance of the Eaton product because of our experience with it for the past 15 to 20 years.

Our units are deployed in passenger stations in the underground commuter rail system for the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

How has it helped my organization?

PredictPulse reduces the manpower needed to do maintenance because the technical data presented in the reports save precious time. We can do less maintenance, from every three months to every six months. So we're saving on critical manpower resources by the monitoring of the unit.

It will save me money on manpower needed for maintenance, as we will be able to maintain these units with a smaller staff because of the PredictPulse data reporting feature. These things were just put online three months ago so an evaluation of the hours saved is still premature. The rail system covers an eight to 10 mile area and for maintenance we have to travel each site to look at each unit, work on it, and then travel back. All that time would be charged to maintenance. We will be saving significant amount of hours, cumulatively over time, because we won't have to travel to the sites. The PredictPulse software will be reporting the status of the units back to us, remotely.

We're a 24/7 operation and my staff does maintenance 24/7. Anytime a unit is taken offline for maintenance, I'm notified, anytime of the day and any day of the week. PredictPulse notifies me remotely what's happening. That gives me proof and demonstrates that I can have confidence in knowing that this critical piece of equipment is always available for its purpose and critical use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the instant notification, remotely via email, of any change in the status of the UPS, which is important. The UPS's provide critical control functions, such as emergency lighting and operation of emergency communications for passengers, and operation of critical radio systems which are needed for communication between Metro and the local Sheriff department.

I receive notification from the call center when a unit's critical function has been lost. When a unit was on battery, I was notified multiple times by the call center. Of course, it was planned maintenance; we do testing and as part of that we do have to take them offline and test them for 90 minutes. We have a city ordinance which requires all emergency systems to be tested annually for 90 minutes. When we perform this test, I get a notification from Eaton's call center that the unit is offline. That makes me confident that the performance of the PredictPulse software is as desired.

Currently, we're in the one-year warranty period offered, so Eaton is hosting PredictPulse on their cloud. But one of the great functions of it is that we still get a local email notification of the statuses of the UPS's, in addition to the dashboard in the cloud which provides a lot more clarity about the information collected and monitored. That information includes things like battery voltages, battery life, installation history, and current voltage in power flow to the load. Those detailed data are really critical to see the status of UPS and make sure it's functioning and healthy in all phases and that all the data and levels are within the proper parameters. The dashboard they provide is a very informative tool for monitoring the health of the UPS.

You can also program a report at the frequency you choose — I chose a monthly frequency —  and get a report from each unit describing the average performance throughout that time period. That's very critical because we can use that as a maintenance tool to monitor the health of the unit.

I have been using Eaton PredictPulse for about three months.

The stability of PredictPulse is really good. I have had no problem with stability.

It scales. We have plans to add several units to the account. Each one has to be individually activated. We intend to get all 25 units on it.

The scalability is there even more so because we have other units from other projects. I plan to recommend putting the communication card in them for PredictPulse, in the future, so we stay on the same platform.

Their technical support is very good. Contacting them is good and they respond in a reasonable amount of time. And the solutions are implemented in a reasonable amount of time.

The system we had before was a local monitoring system but we never really had a monitoring system for the UPS's before now.

The primary reason we went with PredictPulse was to have optimum maintenance of the system with minimal manpower because. Manpower resources are scarce in the agency. It's difficult to hire a large number of people and it's also difficult to get skilled people because you have to be trained in the skills for maintaining UPS's. You have to train the staff for each model. There is a cost saving there because now I don't have to train people because the PredictPulse software, along with the service that Eaton offers, will save me maintenance and training.

The setup is really easy. Eaton's technical department was really helpful in teaching us how to set things up and to register each unit.

The setup of PredictPulse took about a week because we had internal problems with our network. As a government agency we're required by law to isolate and set up firewalls and have a lot of security. All of our networks are highly secured from the outside. Each new network has to be separated from the others. That makes it very difficult because there is so much security in the design of the system, because the government doesn't want cross-contamination, or if one system goes down that it doesn't bring down the enterprise system. PredictPulse needs internet access to talk to the computer and all that has to be isolated in its own network and firewall. I have a big challenge, internally, setting it up and it's in process at this time. It's very difficult to get permission to get outside access to the world. It's not PredictPulse's problem, it's just the way we're required by government to operate.

I have UPS service contracts with Liebert and Vertive and Eaton's prices are comparable.

The cost is reasonable compared to the risk if our systems were to go down because we are a public agency and we want to reduce the risk to our clients who need that service if there's an emergency.

For the first year, there is no cost to PredictPulse, with the warranty. In future years, we'll have to enter into a contract for professional service and parts supply.

We did not evaluate other options because the product requires Eaton software. I don't know of a third-party that would be compatible with the Eaton communication part.

What other advice do I have?

The lesson I've learned is that it's a dependable solution to the maintenance and operational requirements for the UPS's that we have.

In our company I use PredictPulse as the manager and my team of inspectors maintain the system. Ultimately, there will be about 10 people who will have access to it, when it's finished.

I plan to use the PredictPulse mobile app, but at this time, since we are just in the beginning stages and we have only installed three units so far out of the 25, I haven't started using it. I will use it as soon as we have finished setting up.

In terms of proactive parts replacement, at this time we are still in the first phase of the use of this product and we are under warranty. After the warranty phase is up, we'll go into agreement regarding parts replacement, because we don't stock any parts on hand at the company. We have parts agreements in other contracts with Liebert and other companies, because we have other models. We will be making an agreement for parts and service because we don't have trained staff on hand for the UPS's.

I would rate PredictPulse at nine out of 10. I'm still new to it but I was able to go in there and do some configuration and I liked that feature, that functionality, that it allows you to do some of the configurations yourself. Everything is automatic.

I haven't studied the whole UPS market and all that's available. I'm a very busy person. I'm running a department of 100-plus people and a lot of capital projects. My background is a degree in electrical engineering and I've been at my company for 30 years. For 28 of the 30 years, I've been writing specifications for batteries and UPS's. I analyze them. I do calculations on battery capacities. So I understand UPS's and their function. Because I didn't do a full market study I wouldn't give it a 10.

I know there are many other UPS companies but all my Eaton products have performed well for the duration of their lives. I don't have problems with Eaton products, except that they're proprietary. I've had people trained on Eaton products and there is a learning curve for getting to know these devices.

Lead Radiation Therapist at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Leaderboard
    Alleviated stress by informing us of issues, and saved us money by reducing downtime
    • "It gave us email warnings when there was a power interruption, or if we were going to be utilizing backup power from them. If it was a weekend and I needed to go in, it would let me know. I didn't come in after the weekend, or in the morning, to treat patients only to find that our machine was down or that there was an issue. We always knew in advance that there was a power issue."
    • "It was a really bumpy install. There was a lot of miscommunication... I talked to a gentleman from Eaton who told me that if we didn't have things ready to go at a certain time on that install day, we would have to pay for someone else to come.... the Eaton guy couldn't even set up the connection for PredictPulse, so that we could get started right away..."

What is our primary use case?

We had a tall UPS system that was installed to help with backup power to our linear accelerator.

How has it helped my organization?

During my time with that employer, we went on backup power about two times. The Eaton UPS helped us finish a patient's treatment and get them safely out of the machine.

In addition, PredictPulse's 24/7 remote monitoring helped to alleviate stress for our team by giving us a heads-up. If we needed to go in earlier in the morning to try to reestablish power after an outage, or if we needed to have the field technicians for our machines come in, who were four hours away, at least it gave us a heads-up. It gave me a warning about what I was walking into, potentially. I knew if I should be calling patients to cancel them. It helped me do what I needed to, in advance, to help myself.

PredictPulse helped us to save money by avoiding downtime. It enabled us to call for service on our linear accelerator and make sure they were on their way, which reduced downtime. We knew when the machine was offline or online and when the battery was being used, so we knew when we were having dirty power come into the clinic and into the machine. That way, we knew if we needed to call the power company to come out to do a repair, because we were at the top of their list as a healthcare facility. It also allowed us to reschedule patients during the day if we knew we were going to be down, and that saved them time.

What is most valuable?

What I liked about it was that it gave us email warnings when there was a power interruption, or if we were going to be utilizing backup power from them. If it was a weekend and I needed to go in, it would let me know. I didn't come in after the weekend, or in the morning, to treat patients only to find that our machine was down or that there was an issue. We always knew in advance that there was a power issue. That was helpful for the engineers of our machine, and for us, if necessary, to get back on site and reestablish power to the machine.

In terms of the reporting from PredictPulse, I didn't get into it in-depth. The doctor did. But it was simple as far as telling us what we needed to know, such as when it was in use and providing backup power and when it was shutting off. The controls on the unit itself were digital. As long as you follow the directions on the unit itself, you can find whatever information you need, quickly and easily.

It gave us a report every month, which I liked. It showed how often you were going to the battery backup and how long you were on it. I kept those details in a folder so that if the higher-ups in the company I worked for wanted that information, I could get it to them quickly and easily.

It was installed in December 2020, and I left that cancer center in August 2021, so it was about nine or 10 months.

PredictPulse was very stable for the time I was there. We didn't have any issues or warnings that there was something going wrong with the system.

The organization was supposedly going to be ordering UPSs to be installed at their other clinics after this one, but I don't know if they did.

Every once in a while they'd call just to make sure that we were happy with it.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The installation was interesting. Getting and installing the unit was the biggest issue, but that was not connected to PredictPulse, that was Eaton.

The Eaton people irritated me to no end on the install. It was a really bumpy install. There was a lot of miscommunication and I was having it done on a Saturday. To make a long story short, I talked to a gentleman from Eaton who told me that if we didn't have things ready to go at a certain time on that install day, we would have to pay for someone else to come. My organization was a small cancer center so I didn't appreciate that part of it. We had a project manager, and other people involved, who gave information to Eaton that somebody in their call center didn't follow through on. It was left to me, on site, to sort through all that.

I was pretty annoyed by the whole thing. I had to hire electricians to come in and install the unit, and then I had to have an Eaton person come in and check it to make sure it was installed properly. They didn't want to work with the electricians. It took the guy from Eaton who came in an hour to get there, despite my being threatened with something else the day before. And he didn't seem to know what he was doing. He was asking the doctor, "Well, what about this? or "What about that?" My thinking was, "You should know what you're doing here." And then the Eaton guy couldn't even set up the connection for PredictPulse, so that we could get started right away, get our information in there, and get everything on board and going. That was left to the doctor.

It was a mess, but we got through it. We learned a lot, but it wasn't the best. Even delivery from Eaton of this massive, 1,700-pound battery unit, even though I gave dimensions of everything of what we had, was handled by some random transportation company they hired. They couldn't get it into the building, and then they couldn't get it into the room where we needed it. It was quite a nightmare. It was a two-week-plus process. They were just going to drop it off and leave it in the parking lot. The instructions were given to Eaton to make sure that they had the right transportation. This wasn't a hospital, this was a clinic. None of that has anything to do with PredictPulse, but the whole installation was not smooth. These things happen and you learn a lot in the process. You learn what you did wrong and you figure out what they probably could have done better and you move on.

I would rate Eaton's support at a five out of 10, if that. It was a mess but everybody lived through it.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure, when working with Eaton, that you understand the delivery and installation processes. Make sure they are aware of door and hallway openings and sizes, and make sure they have the proper equipment to get the unit from a truck into your building. Also, in the run-up to installation, make sure that you have continual meetings with Eaton's customer service so that they don't have expectations of a one-day installation. Make sure that that's coordinated so that you're not put in a situation where they're threatening you that they'll have to come back and charge you more.

Eaton should make sure that their engineers that are checking out the unit work with the electricians. They also need to make sure they have someone who knows how to set up the system right away, instead of someone who says, "Oh, I'm not sure how to do this computer end of things." That is part of the installation package. The guy was new and probably nervous, but ultimately he did fine. It just could have been a lot smoother.

Field Service Technician at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Saves us time and helps us know that our medical hardware is up and running
    • "The most valuable feature is being able to run reports on it. We get a monthly report on outages and usage and we can see how often we've had downtime, if we've had downtime."
    • "It's been working very well. The only issue I've ever had with it was when we did the initial setup. We had issues getting it to bypass through the firewall. Their support staff were very helpful and we were able to get that taken care of pretty quickly, within a day or two."

What is our primary use case?

I've only really used it for sending out a report whenever there's an outage. Occasionally I might run a report for the health of it, and that's about it. The real use of it would be for our radiology department, since they were the ones who purchased the UPS itself. We just helped set up the notifications, if there is an outage, and anything that deals with the reports for it.

The Eaton equipment we have is mostly the UPS, which is directly for our CT machine. It's the only thing that's hooked up to that UPS.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't have any examples of how it might have changed the function of our radiology department. But if we've ever had an outage or anything happened with our CT, it's made it quicker when contacting our third-party vendor that supports the CTs. That has been faster, but I've had fairly limited experience because it's the first one I've ever really dealt with. But Eaton themselves have been very reliable. I haven't had any issues with them.

PredictPulse's 24/7 remote monitoring has helped to alleviate stress. Whenever we've had downtime for the hospital itself, we've been able to run reports and send them. Because I have email on my phone, I get the reports there and I can send them to the chief of nursing for the hospital or to the CEO. And they can see if at least the CT is doing okay, and that there's no damage to the CT unit. That has been a relief. Management has been happy with having that kind of knowledge.

PredictPulse has saved us money by the CT unit being up and accessible for ER and for med/surge. Even if we've had an outage, they have at least been able to continue to run CTs. The downtime doesn't usually last more than a day or two, at most. If we were to run eight or nine CTs in a day at $800 per CT, those are the kinds of savings we're talking about for a given incident. We've had three or four such incidents in a year.

It has also definitely saved time, helping us know that things are up and running and that there is no issue with the CT itself.

We haven't received any alarm notification calls from Eaton as a result of using PredictPulse. They did reach out to us once, but that was only because I had not properly set up the report portion of PredictPulse and the reports were not going out to everybody. That was just user error on my part. But they did proactively reach out to me to correct that.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to run reports on it. We get a monthly report on outages and usage and we can see how often we've had downtime, if we've had downtime.

What needs improvement?

It's been working very well. The only issue I've ever had with it was when we did the initial setup. We had issues getting it to bypass through the firewall. Their support staff were very helpful and we were able to get that taken care of pretty quickly, within a day or two.

We've had Eaton PredictPulse for about a year.

The reliability of the UPS has been pretty good. While we have had ups and downs with power supply in the area, in general—we have had some strong winds that knocked out cable lines—we've never had any issues with the CT scanner being out or being unable to be used. We haven't had any issues with the Eaton equipment. I have no complaints whatsoever.

We only have one Eaton UPS in our entire environment at this time. That might change. We have a nuclear radiology machine, but, at this time, for budget reasons, we only have the one.

Outside of nuclear med, we don't have very many heavy duty machines in our location.

It's being utilized on a once-a-month timeframe to check on the overall health of it. Other than that, it's just the messaging whenever there's an outage going on. It's used systematically, but on occasion.

My experience with their technical support has been very good. They're responsive and knowledgeable.

We did not have a previous analytics solution.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward, once we got the white paper. I provided that to our firewall engineer. As soon as they had that part, it helped immensely in getting the reports sent out. At that point we fixed how the reports were set up because I did not set that up correctly.

It took about four days, but it wasn't four days of trying real hard. It was something on my plate that needed to get done and I worked on it for about two hours a day over those four days. And that included getting people on my side to get it allowed through.

In addition to me, the firewall person and a networking person were involved to make sure that we had the right VLAN set up for it. At this point, it only requires me for maintenance. There's nobody else involved in that. The radiology manager is the only other person who uses it.

We had someone from Eaton involved because I had opened up a ticket for additional support.

We have seen return on investment using PredictPulse, especially if we've been saving about $25,000 a year on downtime. That's a fairly good return on investment. That offsets the cost of PredictPulse pretty well.

It costs a bit, but it's been fairly good. I can't say I have any complaints with the pricing of it.

I've used other vendors' UPS products in other hospital areas, for quite some time. They're older ones that, as far as I know, do not have any reporting capabilities. With those, we've kept manual track of things. It's a little bit easier, obviously, if you can just run reports.

We didn't look at any other options before purchasing this solution. It was purchased directly through the radiology department. They liked the idea of being able to have those reports directly. Since they were the ones forking up the money, we went in that direction.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend Eaton if you want reliable reports and good uptime for whatever units you are going to have plugged into it. And I'd also recommend the solution because of the professionalism of their support.

What I've learned from using the solution is the reliability of it, which I've been happy with. I've also learned that I need to check out the hardware on Insight a little bit more to see if there are any issues.

Isaac Baylis - PeerSpot reviewer
    Electrical and Instrumentation Technician at Marathon Petroleum Corporation
    The information it provides is very in-depth, helps me during weekly inspections, and notifies me of any trouble or any predictions
    • "PredictPulse saved us time by helping to avoid downtime and other problems. It would take 20 minutes to an hour to try to figure out the problem, whereas we immediately knew where the problem was with the help of PredictPulse. It easily saves us hundreds of man-hours just for that downtime. For production, we did have production lost and that could be in the thousands to possibly millions of dollars."
    • "I would like to see more voltage and current values. Input voltage has a phase to phase option and then there is a phase to neutral option for each phase and there are three phases. So it would be nice to see an average of each of those instead of just a voltage for each individual phase. If there was an average of those three, then that would be less math for me."

What is our primary use case?

We have three 93PM UPS systems from Eaton. We use it as backup power for the control systems that we have at our facility. We're pretty happy with them. We're pretty happy with the PredictPulse system as well that was installed about a month ago because since then, we have had two events where PredictPulse has notified us and cut our troubleshooting time down tremendously in each of these instances.

We have had these units for almost three years now. We have been very satisfied with the operation of these UPS systems. We have had two units in the past month since we've had this PredictPulse system installed that had issues where they needed to be repaired, but Eaton was able to come out and repair them in a very timely fashion. And we've been very happy with the operation of this equipment.

PredictPulse is a system that is hooked up to each of our UPS systems that notify us as the end-users of any faults, problems, or issues that might arise in the UPS systems during its lifecycle and during normal operations.

How has it helped my organization?

PredictPulse saved us time by helping to avoid downtime and other problems. It would take 20 minutes to an hour to try to figure out the problem, whereas we immediately knew where the problem was with the help of PredictPulse. It easily saves us hundreds of man-hours just for that downtime. For production, we did have production lost and that could be in the thousands to possibly millions of dollars.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that I can get on my computer and I can click on each of the three units that we have here in the facility. I can pull up all the information that I need to perform an inspection as far as gathering data, input voltage, output voltage, output current, and total input KVA frequency, and stuff like that.

We are very satisfied with PredictPulse's reporting in terms of the visibility and insight it gives us into our UPS equipment and how it operates. When something happens, we not only get an email to notify us but also a phone call. At the same time simultaneously, the Eaton technician gets the same notification and he is able to dispatch with the correct parts to come and repair the system.

I find the PredictPulse mobile app to be very easy to navigate. I have no problem with it and I enjoy using it.

The information it provides is very in-depth, helps me during weekly inspections, and also notifies me of any trouble or any predictions. We haven't had the system long enough to really be able to generate predictions to let us know battery life and stuff like that. In the future, I'm sure these predictions will come out and we'll be able to assess future issues that might arise.

Eaton's 24/7 remote monitoring has definitely helped to alleviate stress for us. It cuts down our troubleshooting time if there's an issue. We know exactly where to go when we're having a power issue because we've been notified, which is nice.

We had an issue over the weekend. My colleague knew exactly where the issue was so he immediately went to the problem and was able to go from there. But if he did not have that notification or knew that the problem was at the UPS system, then it could've taken him anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to figure out where the problem was.

If something happens where we need technicians to come as soon as possible to make a repair, they are here in a very timely manner. They leave pretty much wherever they're at and they come to help. We've been very satisfied with their service.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more voltage and current values. Input voltage has a phase to phase option and then there is a phase to neutral option for each phase and there are three phases. So it would be nice to see an average of each of those instead of just a voltage for each individual phase. If there was an average of those three, then that would be less math for me.

I'm sure as I use it more, I'll be able to come up with things that need improvement, but as of now, I'm pretty happy with the way it performs and how easy it is to navigate around the PredictPulse application online and on the cell phone.

I have been using PredictPulse for a month.

It's pretty stable. It's been pretty reliable so far.

No maintenance is required. It's, for the most part, very hands-off.

Their support is top-notch. They do a great job.

The communication between the Eaton technicians and my colleague is good. They're very good with communication and calling us, letting us know when they'll be here, when parts for these repairs are coming, and things like that. They're very personable as well onsite.

We did not previously use a different solution. We just did it the old-fashioned way and went up and visually put eyes on the systems and made sure there were no alarms on the screen. That was about it.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was very easy.

We had to install a couple of outlets coming from the UPS systems. That was very easy. And then the Eaton technicians came in and it only took them a day to install the routers and ethernet switches for our three units. So it took no time at all. It was very fast.

The pricing was nice. The whole reason we got into it initially was that they had a discount and so we jumped on that discount. But we're very happy we did because it has served us well so far.

There are additional costs. There's a yearly or monthly fee. I remember it not being too expensive. I remember it being worth the price.

The costs are completely worth it. We saved a lot of money figuring out where the issue was first because it significantly decreased our troubleshooting time during plant outage events.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend Eaton PredictPulse to reduce overall troubleshooting time. It's easy to view any information on the UPS system from anywhere. I can be at home and pull it up and view the UPS systems, all the values, and make sure that they're in a good state and not in alarm. That is definitely very nice. It's remote monitoring. They dispatch their technicians with the correct parts quickly. Sometimes I don't even have to call and they'll call me and tell me they're on the way.

I would rate PredictPulse a nine out of ten.

Kevin Sweeney - PeerSpot reviewer
    Facility Manager at a hospitality company with 501-1,000 employees
    With the remote monitoring, I don't have to physically look at the piece of equipment; I can do it from my phone
    • "Many of its features are valuable, but the ability to be notified in real-time is the most valuable aspect. I can be at home, it could be the middle of the night. We have it set up so that it sends emails to people if it engaged."
    • "The only thing I can think of is the remote monitoring. When it's communicating something, if there's an event or there's an issue, the dashboard and how it's presented could be improved. I know what it's communicating, but if we had someone at a different level monitoring it, they might not understand if it's a critical item. The remote monitoring dashboard could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to provide uninterrupted power to security systems, gaming systems, and surveillance systems on a gaming floor at a casino.

How has it helped my organization?

On our casino floor, in a power outage, hundreds of games could go down and would need to be manually brought back up. Even though we can run off generator power, we need that bridge to get us there and it's been doing it since. It has been taking care of it.

We use Eaton's remote monitoring and it's pretty comprehensive if there's any kind of issue. It's measuring and monitoring things. The remote monitoring makes my job easier and makes me more productive. With the remote monitoring, we don't have to physically look at the piece of equipment. I could be offsite. I could be anywhere and I can see how it's operating or any issues it could be having. I can do that from my phone.

What is most valuable?

Many of its features are valuable, but the ability to be notified in real-time is the most valuable aspect. I can be at home, it could be the middle of the night. We have it set up so that it sends emails to people if it engaged. If the power has gone out or something has gone wrong, we're notified immediately. There are three of us who receive those alerts, in the roles of director of facilities and facility managers.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can think of is the remote monitoring. When it's communicating something, if there's an event or there's an issue, the dashboard and how it's presented could be improved. I know what it's communicating, but if we had someone at a different level monitoring it, they might not understand if it's a critical item. The remote monitoring dashboard could be simplified.

I have been using Eaton PredictPulse for about 10 months.

It's stable, absolutely. We haven't had any issues.

It's expandable. Whether we have the space to expand it is another story.

We're not maintaining it internally. If there's any maintenance or repair work to be done, that would be done by Eaton. Other than checking it and making sure it's running, we're not maintaining it internally.

We haven't had to use Eaton's helpdesk or field service so far.

If I recall correctly we had an Emerson unit previously.

We had a room we had to fit the solution in. That's how we came to the system, so it would fit in the room that we had for it. Compared to the old system we had, it has a larger footprint, but the old one did not take care of as much as the new system does. The power density is greater than what we were dealing with before.

If we would have upgraded the old system, the footprint from adding on to that old system wouldn't have fit in the space that we had available.

We had a greater comfort level with the Eaton products. In part that was because of how it fit in the space we were dealing with; we were constrained. In addition, there are no issues with hotspots. Beyond that, we also use a lot of Eaton equipment throughout our property. Keeping in line with that was definitely a positive.

The initial setup was a complex project, but the install was pretty straightforward. It was handled well. An electrician was used as part of the install and there were people from Eaton here. It was a positive experience. They were fine.

The deployment took a few days. Once they had the equipment in there it was a few days until they had it up and running.

We were converting how the power is distributed to all parts of our building. We had to take down the old UPS system and bring up the new one to supply areas of our property, in sections. We would do it overnight to lessen the impact on our guests and team members.

The cost associated with having to bring our gaming equipment up manually anytime there's a power outage, surge, or sag in the area is where we see ROI. I couldn't really put a value on that. It provides us with uninterrupted service for all our other systems.

We priced out the entire project with multiple options and the Eaton equipment was right in line with our budget. I'm not aware of any costs in addition to initial fees.

What other advice do I have?

It saves us time and it saves us money. If the equipment that it protects is valuable to your business, it will keep it operating.

It was the right system to go with. We're close to a year in, and there have been zero issues. In the preceding couple of years we had so many issues with the old system; it was undersized and it wasn't really protecting everything that the current one is. It has given us that reliability. We were able to make the system larger and cover more equipment. It's hard to compare apples to apples because we weren't covering the same things, but it makes all the difference in the world, if you're going to use a product like this, to make sure it's covering all of your important, the critical items.

We're using other Eaton solutions in our environment and they're reliable. We've had power issues here and the Eaton equipment holds up. Eaton covers it all. There are things that they provide that we don't have here on our property, but what they have is pretty comprehensive.

Systems Engineer at a university with 10,001+ employees
    You can look at your policy in real-time and get an alert that tells you exactly where you are dropping
    • "PredictPulse has been pretty stable. Our older UPS was approaching the end of life. Eaton came by and upgraded all the hardware, so we could install the latest interface and use PredictPulse on it. We didn't even have to ask."
    • "We get the alerts almost instantaneously, but it doesn't give you as much information as the system notice. And I don't know what the alert means. It's not really indicative of the problem because it's non-descriptive to us. Is there a problem, or is it only a standard utility blip for something?"

What is our primary use case?

We use PredictPulse to sustain our data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

We're not awake 24/7, so it's good to have somebody else receiving data constantly. A few times, I've gotten a call from Eaton when they noticed abnormal data in our data center. They were dispatching one of our service reps, but I needed parts, so Eaton was given access to do what needed to be done before I even knew anything was wrong.

What is most valuable?

PredictPulse's reporting capabilities are pretty good. I like the web interface in PredictPulse. You can look at your policy in real-time and get an alert that tells you exactly where you are dropping power and if you're on bypass or not. If a module has gone bad, it tells you precisely what module and your risk capability. The PredictPulse usage gateway is pretty informative and gives you many options.

We use the PredictPulse interface for alerts, and it sends out remote notifications almost immediately after detecting any abnormalities. We get text and email alerts whenever something happens. It costs because we pay for 24-hour monitoring. They also send us emails almost at the same time, so we don't really need to use the mobile app.

What needs improvement?

We get the alerts almost instantaneously, but it doesn't give you as much information as the system notice. I don't know what the alert means. It's not really indicative of the problem because it's non-descriptive to us. Is there a problem, or is it only a standard utility blip for something?

We have two different data centers. We've been using PredictPulse in one data center for about 15 years and in the other for nearly 10.

PredictPulse has been pretty stable. Our older UPS was approaching the end of life. Eaton came by and upgraded all the hardware, so we could install the latest interface and use PredictPulse on it. We didn't even have to ask. It now has even more capabilities than the newer UPS in the other data center. The older one was more a text-based web interface. I have the same web interface running on the older UPS that I have on the newer one, and that's still relatively safe.

So far, the UPSes have never let us down. They're 100 percent reliable at supplying power to our equipment. We do make sure that we contact only Eaton for maintenance. This is because the third-party providers tend to use aftermarket parts, and we've been compromised before when we let a third party put second-hand batteries in the UPS. So that was able to convince our company leadership to go to Eaton for maintenance and support exclusively.

Occasionally, I take a look at PredictPulse's predictive analytics. We've had no downtime, thankfully. But it can tell me the age and the predicted lifespan of configured parts, like batteries and stuff like that. Then it gives me a heads up to notify my upper management that it is time to start thinking about replacing batteries or caps when needed. Those parts are replaced in addition to the regular maintenance that we perform on our Eaton every year.

I rate Eaton support 10 out of 10. They've been very supportive. One of our UPSes had an emergency install because the previous UPS burned out. The generators in the data center were down for three weeks. They bypassed installing an environmental module during that emergency install and just rushed to put the data center back on UPS power. Eaton detected that, shipped the parts to our location, and arranged to meet our engineer on site to install the module so they would still get reporting on the UPS.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We do have another data center, which was already equipped with two different names, we don't know their versions, so their UPSes, it's pretty stable as well. It just doesn't seem to have any much of a web interface as the Eaton does, but they're both equally stable and dependable.

Setting up PredictPulse is pretty straightforward. We assign an IP to the UPS, the engineer sets it all up, we log in, and it's live. Then we set up the remote notifications to the different responsible teams, and I activate PredictPulse on the web interface. That's about it on our side.

I have nothing to do with budgeting because I'm not on the financial side. I'm on the technical side, so that wouldn't apply to me. I don't say this is what I need, and this is the service I want. I don't want any aftermarket third-party services. The company paid whatever it costs, and they must be getting some kind of return because they keep renewing the license every year.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PredictPulse 10 out of 10. The support and everything I've gotten from Eaton has been great. They're very reliable. You won't go down. I don't support third-party service because I've used another Eaton product and when the tech inspected it, he was like, "We don't know who installed that and that's why you dropped." After that, we replaced him with an Eaton service provider. Since then, we have never had an outage.