We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
GaurangPatel
Technical Director at Allot Group
Easy to use, efficient, and the replication is good, but the technical support response time needs to be minimized
  • "This solution is easy to use."
  • "Technical support should respond more quickly because the turnaround time is very high."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we provide for our clients. We have deployed it for more than seven customers

It is used for several purposes including server consolidation and business applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the efficiency and replication.

This solution is easy to use.

Dell offers a good warranty on this product.

What needs improvement?

Although the pricing is competitive, it is a concern because competitors such as HP are also competitive.

We have been using Compellent for two years.

Compellent is a stable solution.

This is a very scalable product.

The technical support is reasonable but I feel that the turnaround time is very high and can be improved.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is complex but straightforward. It takes approximately 45 minutes to configure.

The pricing of Dell EMC Compellent is competitive.

The pricing for solutions by HP is also competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend Compellent to my customers because it is a very good product that is very scalable, it is easy to use, and Dell offers a good warranty. I find the features handy and it is a good match for my customers' requirements.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Information Technology Operations Manager at Weber Metals
An expensive product that should be more user-friendly, but they have good support that is proactive
  • "One time, we had a drive fail and we were notified before we even saw it on the device."
  • "This product should be a lot more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

This is our SAN product for use with a traditional VMware setup, using VMware clusters. We have the 150 terabyte enclosure.

What needs improvement?

This product should be a lot more user-friendly.

A central management system should be put in place to make it easier to configure.

I have been using this solution for two years.

The technical support is great. We have 24/7 support with a four-hour response. They are responsive and they stay to help until the problem is resolved.

One time, we had a drive fail and we were notified before we even saw it on the device. Then, the new hardware was shipped to us the next day.

I also use HPE Nimble and I find that it is a lot easier to use and offers us more features.

I inherited this solution when I joined the company. In terms of setting it up, we add this SAN into a VMware cluster. The initial setup is unnecessarily complex, and much more so than a solution like HPE Nimble.

This product is too expensive compared to others, and I don't see any value in using it.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, it's a nice product but it's too expensive and too complicated to set up.

If I were rating this product solely on the management or administrative side, I would rate it a one out of ten because it's just ridiculous. Performance-wise, I can rate it a four or five out of ten.

Overall, I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC SC Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EMC Storage & Backup Implementation Specialist at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
It's high speed performance-wise and has good stability and scalability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the traditional environment like virtualization and the database exchange.

What is most valuable?

Performance-wise it's high speed. It's also more stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved. It should have an application point of view.  In the next release, I would for them to improve their application feature.  I would also like to see some cloud integration.

I have been using Compellent for around two years.

We have zero downtime. There is no disruption at all. It's highly stable with all the types of abundant solutions. All the hardware parts are in abundance.

What do I think about

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Performance-wise it's high speed. It's also more stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved. It should have an application point of view.

In the next release, I would for them to improve their application feature.

I would also like to see some cloud integration.

I have been using Compellent for around two years.

It's easy to expand without affecting the current production but there definitely is a limit with each model but that's to be expected.

Support wise, it's very stable. The support is 100% good. Support is the key for Dell EMC.

The setup was straightforward. I implement it for my customers. It can be deployed within an hour.

You only need one person for the deployment. One person is more than enough. There's no dedicated team required.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a ten out of ten.

It's better to have it certified first then hand in the petition.

Technical Manager at a manufacturing company with 11-50 employees
Knowledgeable support, reliable, and good performance

What is our primary use case?

We only build the basic foundation and the basic installation for the end-user on Dell EMC SC Series. However, I'm not sure what they install on it. Our main use case for Dell EMC SC Series is for VMware.

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be easier in Dell EMC SC Series.

I have been using Dell EMC SC Series for approximately one year.

The stability of the Dell EMC SC Series is very good.

We have approximately 100 users using this solution in my organization.

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be easier in Dell EMC SC Series.

I have been using Dell EMC SC Series for approximately one year.

The stability of the Dell EMC SC Series is very good.

We have approximately 100 users using this solution in my organization.

The Dell support is helpful and the response is quick. The agents' knowledge is very good.

The installation could be easier. The comparable IBM solution is much easier to install.

The process for the installation takes approximately one day.

I did the implementation of the solution myself using the user guides.

We have the basic license for the use of this solution and it is a permanent license. The overall cost could be less, it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell EMC SC Series a nine out of ten.

System Administrator at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
The solution is stable
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "While the scalability is good, there are certain limitations."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product in our company and I deal with it personally.

What needs improvement?

The solution is automated, but we still don't get a complete speech from the disc. The flash speed should be addressed.

While the scalability is good, there are certain limitations. Our racks are at their limit, so we do not have the requisite scalability to expand.

We would like to see replication of the data storage without the need to resort to third party tools. Storage to storage repetition would be a nice feature.

We have been using Dell EMC SC Series for four years.

The solution is stable.

When it comes to upgrading, we are contemplating a move to TISON, TI-1, TI-2 and TI-3. There may be a need to move between the TISON.

What other advice do I have?

As this is our first product, I cannot give a comprehensive review or rating.

I rate Dell EMC SC Series as an eight out of ten.