IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Barracuda Email Threat Scanner OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Email Threat Scanner is #11 ranked solution in top Anti-Malware Tools. PeerSpot users give Barracuda Email Threat Scanner an average rating of 10 out of 10. Barracuda Email Threat Scanner is most commonly compared to CrowdStrike Falcon: Barracuda Email Threat Scanner vs CrowdStrike Falcon. Barracuda Email Threat Scanner is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 36% of all views.

Download the Anti-Malware Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Barracuda Email Threat Scanner?

Find out what's hiding in your inbox.
It's critical to assess and understand your email security vulnerabilities. Using artificial intelligence and API integration with Office 365, the Barracuda Email Threat Scanner quickly and effectively finds social engineering attacks currently sitting in your mailboxes.

Barracuda Email Threat Scanner Customers
Entisys 360,
Barracuda Email Threat Scanner Video

Barracuda Email Threat Scanner Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Email Threat Scanner pricing:
"Barracuda Email Threat Scanner is provided by our IT service provider, who also provides all the support. The licensing fee that we pay to our provider is $200 per month, that is, $1 per user. There is no additional cost. Before taking the subscription from our provider, I researched the market for Barracuda. The cost is between $5,000 to $8,000 for three years. After that, the same cost is there for renewal. If you have 200 to 500 users, it is better to take a subscription from a provider. If you have more than 500 users, then you can own the Barracuda server through the cloud or on-premises deployments. It is costly for a lesser number of users. If you increase the usage or the number of users, then the overall cost decreases. They can reduce the cost of Barracuda Email Threat Scanner for a small number of users. We could not and would not have used this solution if we had not got the renting or subscription option."

Barracuda Email Threat Scanner Reviews

S. M. Rabiul Islam - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. System Engineer at Quazi Abedin Group
Works perfectly and filters almost 95% of spam mails
  • "The main benefit that I am getting from this solution is that it filters almost 95% of my spam mail. Some spam mails bypass Barracuda Email Threat Scanner, but when I add those domains or addresses to the filter list, they get blocked. Some users on my premises do not understand which mail attachments or links should be opened. By filtering with Barracuda Email Threat Scanner, we are not getting any type of phishing mails. So, our infrastructure is safer, and as an IT person, I feel relaxed."
  • "We had an incident last month where the PCs of one or two colleagues, who were outside of our factory and were using a defined network, got infected by some kind of malware. From their PCs, more than 1,000 mails were produced per hour, causing spamming on our mail server. Barracuda blocked the full mail communication. Only one to two accounts were compromised, and for that, Barracuda blocked all incoming and outgoing mails. It created a great problem for other users and our office activities. Our server was blocked for three days, which we did not expect. Technically, only one or two accounts should be blocked. When a domain or IP is blocked, communication becomes tough. It may be a configuration issue at our provider's end, where there was a mistake in configuring Barracuda. It could also be a problem related to Barracuda."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to filter spam mails. We have taken a rental subscription for 200 users from an IT service provider. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The main benefit that I am getting from this solution is that it filters almost 95% of my spam mail.  Spam Scoring, with Block or Quarantine actions IP Address Filtering Sender Domain Filtering Sender Email Address Filtering Recipient Filtering Content Filtering (Subject, Header and Body) Attachment Filtering Fingerprint Analysis Image Analysis Intent Analysis Our most of communication tool was email. phishing mail was the biggest headache for me. So I decided to go with Barracuda email security gateway Now, our infrastructure is safer, and as an IT person, I feel relaxed.

What needs improvement?

We had an incident last month where the PCs of one or two colleagues, who were outside of our factory and were using a defined network, got infected by some kind of malware. From their PCs, more than 1,000 mails were produced per hour, causing spamming on our mail server's IP. Barracuda blocked the full mail communication. Only one to two accounts were compromised, and for that, Barracuda blocked all incoming and outgoing mails. It created a great problem for other users and our office activities. Our mail server was partially blocked for three days, which we did not expected and suffered a lot.  Technically, only one or two accounts should be blocked if those are compromised. When a domain or IP is blocked, communication becomes tough, mails are bounced by receiver server. It may be a configuration issue at our provider's end, where there was a mistake in configuring Barracuda. It could also be a problem related to Barracuda.

I have been using this solution for the last six months.
Anti-Malware Tools
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, CrowdStrike, Microsoft and others in Anti-Malware Tools. Updated: June 2022.
610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable. I am very satisfied with its performance. It did block some mails that should not have been blocked. At that time, we had to manually change the list of blocked mails.

It scales well. We have 200 users.

I have not contacted them much.

We did not have to set it up on our premises. We have a rental subscription from a provider. They take the user list and configure the users in their server. We just had to change our DNS routing so that the incoming or outgoing emails go through the Barracuda server. Before using Barracuda, our server IP was the main IP for mail communication, but now the routing has changed. The incoming mails come through the Barracuda server, and the outgoing mails go via the Barracuda server after passing our server.

Barracuda Email Threat Scanner is provided by our IT service provider "MetroNet Bangladesh", who also provides Internet and Data link Support support for us. The licensing fee that we pay to our provider is $60.97 per month, that is, $0.33 per user per month. There is no additional cost. Before taking the subscription from our provider, I researched the market for Barracuda. The cost is between $9,000 to $11,000 for three years. After that, the same cost is there for renewal. If you have 200 to 500 users, it is better to take a subscription from a provider. If you have more than 500 users, then you can own the Barracuda server through the cloud or on-premises deployments. It is costly for a lesser number of users. If you increase the usage or the number of users, then the overall cost decreases. They can reduce the cost of Barracuda Email Threat Scanner for a small number of users. We could not and would not have used this solution if we had not got the renting or subscription option.

What other advice do I have?

It works perfectly and decreases the spam counter by more than 95%. I would rate Barracuda Email Threat Scanner a nine out of ten. I would rate it a ten if the cost was more user friendly for smaller user groups, and they improved on blocking only one or two compromised accounts rather than the whole server.

Private Cloud

Other
Download our free Anti-Malware Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, CrowdStrike, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: June 2022