Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Amazon EC2 Container Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon EC2 Container Service is #2 ranked solution in top Containers as a Service vendors. PeerSpot users give Amazon EC2 Container Service an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Amazon EC2 Container Service is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Container Service: Amazon EC2 Container Service vs Microsoft Azure Container Service. Amazon EC2 Container Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Amazon EC2 Container Service Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon EC2 Container Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Amazon EC2 Container Service?

Amazon EC2 Container Service (ECS) is a highly scalable, high performance container management service that supports Docker containers and allows you to easily run applications on a managed cluster of Amazon EC2 instances. Amazon ECS eliminates the need for you to install, operate, and scale your own cluster management infrastructure. With simple API calls, you can launch and stop Docker-enabled applications, query the complete state of your cluster, and access many familiar features like security groups, Elastic Load Balancing, EBS volumes, and IAM roles. You can use Amazon ECS to schedule the placement of containers across your cluster based on your resource needs and availability requirements. You can also integrate your own scheduler or third-party schedulers to meet business or application specific requirements.

Amazon EC2 Container Service Customers

Shippable, Expedia, MyTaxi, Edmiunds.com, Okta, Upserve, Remind, Meteur, Segment, Linden Lab, Prezi, Airtime,

Amazon EC2 Container Service Video

Amazon EC2 Container Service Reviews

Moses NYOTA - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software and Cloud Engineer at Velocis Technologies LLC
Offers per second billing, has excellent support, and is easy to set up
  • "I like the per-second billing."
  • "The solution can still be expensive, even with per-second billing."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is to compute instances. Basically, it's a debit. It's a host. For example, if you need a computer that you want to install your enterprise application, instead of buying a server on-premise, you can spin up an instance online.

What is most valuable?

I like the per-second billing. Every second I use is billed. Any other time I am not using it, it's not billed, so it's better. It’s cheaper. It's good.

It’s easy to set up.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution can still be expensive, even with per-second billing.

We’ve used the solution for the last year.

Amazon EC2 Container Service vs. Microsoft Azure Container Service
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon EC2 Container Service vs. Microsoft Azure Container Service and other solutions. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is extremely stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn’t crash or freeze.

It is very scalable.

We started with AWS this year. We have one client so far.

Technical support is perfect.

The solution is very straightforward. The initial setup is very cheap also.

It's very easy to replace. You don't need a lot of teams to do it. One person can do everything.

We are integrators and can handle the initial setup.

You pay for only the time you have used the on-demand service. For example, if you are using software that does a lot of computation or analyzing your data for your company, you only pay for that time spent analyzing that data. The rest of the time, you don't pay for it.

Although I like the per second billing, the cost of it, even if you are being billed per second, it is still higher than competitor products.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators. We use a lot of Amazon products.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

I would recommend a competitor's product. I would recommend, for example, Oracle Compute Instances or Oracle Cloud. I wouldn't recommend AWS EC2 due to the cost. It can get out of control. For example, once I left my EC2 on for a few days with some services running, and in three days I lost a thousand dollars. It's quite costly if you are not very careful.

Venkateswarlu Paturu - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Delivery Manager / Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Very straightforward to use, easy to deploy; stable and scalable
  • "Good documentation and very straightforward to implement and use."
  • "Support could be better with response time and knowledge of staff."

What is our primary use case?

We have used various Amazon services including EC2 buckets for storage and the container services for deployment of the application. I'm an integrator and we are customers of Amazon EC2 Container Service.

What is most valuable?

I think this is a good solution with good documentation and is very straightforward to use.

What needs improvement?

We faced challenges with AWS and I feel the support could have been better - more timely with their response, more knowledgeable staff and more customer friendly. As a partner, I'd like to see a response from the appropriate team and know that they'd help us throughout. AWS is in partnership with other product vendors in developing the connectors and could have given a direction to another vendor, Tableau, for example, because when we try to use those connectors to hook up the data into cloud, it was challenging and a very difficult exercise to go through with AWS in order to resolve the problem. Both sides tell us it's not their problem.

We have used this solution for over a year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The support could be more straightforward and faster, and should provide an insight into what could be causing the issue we are having and how to solve it. At the end of the day there are boundaries here. As a system integrator, I definitely need help from the core platform to extend my services to the customer, so that both the platform customer and myself get the benefit, otherwise one of the pieces of the puzzle gets lost.

The initial setup is quite simple and doesn't take much time, I was able to do it myself. I installed it for one of my customers and they have around 200 users. There is no plan to increase use at this stage but we have credits from AWS, and we're using them. Once they've expired, we have to extend to continue to use AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Amazon EC2 Container Service vs. Microsoft Azure Container Service
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anteneh Asnake - PeerSpot reviewer
Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at IE Network Solutions PLC
MSP
Simple to access, easy to deploy, and quite reliable
  • "The solution is simple to access."
  • "The pricing could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

I've primarily used the solution for web hosting. It can also be used for development purposes.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to deploy.

The solution is simple to access.

The stability has been very good.

It's a product that can scale as needed.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing I would like to change about the solution at this time.

The pricing could be a bit better. The Amazon Cloud expense can get high.

I've been using the solution for one month.

The stability has been good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale. It's not a problem.

Right now, I'm the only person who uses the solution.

I've never used technical support. I can't speak to how their services are.

We did use a different solution. It was an on-premises product.

We have found the product easy to deploy. It's not overly complex or difficult.

In terms of the implementation, for the object storage, the installation is mostly configuration. Once you buy the Amazon Cloud, this feature is available, so the only thing you'll do is you'll need to choose which type of E-service you're going to use.

The solution can be handled internally, or a company can install it with the help of an integrator.

The pricing depends on the region in which you're using it. Most probably if you're using it in the UAE or South Africa, the price may get lower.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate it an eight out of ten. We have been happy with it.