IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Wordpress.com VIP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Web Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Wordpress.com VIP?
Wordpress.com VIP is the world's most elegant publishing platform and also its most loved. More sites are powered by WordPress than any other Content Management System (CMS) combined.
Wordpress.com VIP Customers
Gigaom, Re/code, Grantland, National Post, TIME.com, National Post, LIN Media, NFL Blogs, Tim Ferriss, NextDraft, Metro UK, USA Today, Foreign Policy, NBC

Archived Wordpress.com VIP Reviews (more than two years old)

Daniel Morris - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at eScribers, LLC
It provides flexibility in building and adding plug-ins, but the plug-in interface is not object-oriented.

What is most valuable?

Constant bug fixes Security patches Flexibility to add plug-ins Building plug-ins is easier than other CRMs such as Joomla Can jump in quickly Easy to use

How has it helped my organization?

I've been able to quickly build websites as needed.

What needs improvement?

Not really anything, but the plug-in interface into the system is not object-oriented. It's diffuse, and you feel like you're dropping bits into many places. They're called plug-ins, but you don't feel like you're plugging in your code, but just reaching in with a hundred tentacles. Lastly, the process doesn't feel encapsulated.

5+ years
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Wordpress, EPiServer, Drupal and others in Web Content Management. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have not tried to scale it very much.

The community is enormous and everyone is very helpful, and other people have problems already solved.

It's pretty straightforward.  There is a wizard that walks you through the setup process.

I have tried Joomla as a CMS, but it's extremely complicated in comparison.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it If it's for a website that's static (just showing content), you can't go wrong, as it can a handle website with 100's of pages easily. If
it_user134607 - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User
It helps us quickly install blogs, publish articles, and optimize SEO, but scaling it requires experienced engineers.

What is most valuable?

The features which are most valuable are:

1. Easy installation

2. Plugins community

3. Third party integration

4. Ability to extend

5. Affordable for beginners

6. Easy development platform (PHP, MySQL, JavaScript)

7. Multi language support

8. Backup support and availability out of the box

How has it helped my organization?

Improvements to our organization include quick blog installation, article publishing and SEO optimization for search engines.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas for improvement: You can extend the core, you have to comply with GNU GPLv2 license, you can build your own front end theme, you can use a theme out thousands free and commercial themes, you can build any plugin to do your desired functionality, thousands of plugins available to supplement extra functionality, freelance developers are available easy with reasonable pricing to develop your desired functionality.

I have been using WordPress for 5 years.

No issues in deployment.

We are facing issues with outdated plugins and shared hosting security issues, only if WordPress is implemented in dedicated environment it is highly secure.

WordPress is scalable, with reasonable efforts and time, but you need experienced engineers to do it.

WordPress has very good customer support.

WordPress provides very good technical support.

We used to use PHPNuke and Xoops, but switched from both because WordPress is a more mature product.

Setup is straightforward.

We implemented in-house.

This product has excellent value, and good reward for the purpose.

Initial cost of setup is my time and say to day cost, is via vendor newsletters to implement patches.

We evaluated PHPNuke, Xoops and Drupal.

What other advice do I have?

To use any product, write down your desired goals and usage scenarios, implement the core product. Spend enough time using the product and testing its functionality. Start by searching readymade plugins to supplement your functionality. Do not rush to write your own code until you did enough search on readymade plugins. If any functionality is available through third party plugin with fees, do not write it if you can afford paying the price and asking for third party developer support and development. Act as the end user, do not deal with the product as a developer. Measure your results with users satisfaction and goals achievement, do not measure results with your own developer mindset. Work with users from day one, do not build and build for long time before you get users feedback. Implement the product, and monitor how your users are using it.

June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Web Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It can be scaled, but needs to be improved for smaller websites.

What is most valuable?

From a website developer point of view:

• Ease of installation
  • Ease of customization (if you are an experienced programmer)
  • Excellent community
  • Excellent plug-ins and themes.

From a website editor point of view:

• Very simple
  • Straightforward CMS
  • Easy to use

How has it helped my organization?

Building custom websites for customers has improved, generating more revenue.

What needs improvement?

Scalability for small websites on shared hosting.

I've used it for five years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

As website content and number of visits grow, one does recognize scalability issues for websites on shared hosting. I do need to note, howeve,r that Wordpress can be scaled indefinitely, and what I have noted is more a host issue than a Wordpress issue.

There is an excellent Wordpress community.

The Wordpress community and the plug-in/theme developers, typically provide outstanding support.

We previously used Joomla (Up to 1.7). I have found Wordpress to be a lot faster and a lot easier both to setup and use.

It was straightforward.

We did it in-house.

There was no cost to using Wordpress for us.

• Joomla
  • Drupal

What other advice do I have?

Installation and usage manuals on the Wordpress.org are really helpful for beginners. In addition, the Wordpress community is outstanding for advice and troubleshooting, so take your time to browse through the various forums.

it_user795 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager of QA at a tech company with 51-200 employees
The quickest and most cost-effective way to get a fully functional website up.

Valuable Features:

- Easy to use and easy to assemble a fully working wordpress site - Flexible in terms of hosting - WP can host your site or you can host it on your own server - Plenty of themes available (free and commercial) - Search Engine friendly (Google bot likes WP sites) - Has a built in content management, so you can upload new content and even arrange the layout on a daily basis

Room for Improvement:

- The code behind a WP theme is not easy to modify in case you need additional features not provided by the theme.

Other Advice:

If you want a website ASAP, that is also search engine friendly, I suggest you download a WP theme and hire a WP developer. A fully functional website can be up in a matter of hours. You are then free to modify the content and add images and even change the layout to your heart's content!
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I wish Wordpress had come out a long time ago

Valuable Features:

Wordpress is an excellent multi-purpose platform with a wide variety of uses and features, including:- An incredibly large theme base. - An incredibly large plug-in base. - It's written in PHP and HTML5, which is an incredibly extensible language. - It's easily transitionable from server to server. - It works very well as a CMS (content management system), which is kind of funny because it wasn't designed to be one. - It's scalable and customizable.

Room for Improvement:

The only major con I can think of is that, because it's written in PHP, if you make a manual edit to one of the theme configuration files (which you probably will end up doing during customization), and have even one minor typo, it will pretty much break the whole site.So, my recommendation is to BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE YOU EDIT SOMETHING and make sure you have access, whether it be physical, FTP or cPanel, to your host server.

Other Advice:

I use Wordpress almost exclusively as a CMS nowadays. It lets me set up web sites quickly and efficiently, and is really easy to use and administer. Each and every time I use it, I find myself learning something new and surprising myself with the extensibility of the platform.
it_user1077 - PeerSpot reviewer
Developer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
wordpress.com is one of the most popular and excellent platforms for creating and maintaining blogs and simple websites.

Valuable Features:

Offer hundreds of free themes (templates) to choose from.Intuitive user interface (UI) and SEO friendly.No hosting required (Freely available, followed by .wordpress.com).Smaller learning curve.

Room for Improvement:

Doesn't provide option to modify PHP and CSS files for free members.Not scalable for big and complex websites.No option to monetize the website (Affiliated links or Advertisements).

Other Advice:

No doubt, wordpress.com offers great features from newbies to experts. In order to improve the product, some of the basic and important features should be freely available (Like Uploading Custom plugins and themes).
Download our free Web Content Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Wordpress, EPiServer, Drupal, and more!
Updated: June 2022