We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

vRealize Log Insight OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vRealize Log Insight is #21 ranked solution in Log Management Software. PeerSpot users give vRealize Log Insight an average rating of 8 out of 10. vRealize Log Insight is most commonly compared to Splunk: vRealize Log Insight vs Splunk. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is vRealize Log Insight?
vRealize Log Insight delivers indexing and machine learning based Intelligent Grouping, to enable searching, for faster troubleshooting across physical, virtual and cloud environments. It help monitors and manages Machine Data at Scale through analyzing massive amounts of log data and delivers near real-time monitoring, search and log analytics, coupled with a dashboard for stored queries, reports and alerts. Speeds correlation of events across an entire IT environment. vRealize Log Insight creates Structure from Unstructured Data by collects and automatically identifies structure in all types of machine-generated log data (application logs, network traces, configuration files, messages, performance data, system state dumps, etc.) to build an index for performing analytics. And it offers a pricing model that includes unlimited data and does not require buying licenses based on peak usage and worst-case scenarios.

Download the Log Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

vRealize Log Insight Customers
Wildlands Adventure Zoo, Medic Mobile, IBM, Seventy Seven Energy, Baystate Health, Osis, Oxford University, Columbia University, Siemens, Cardinal Health, Ashdod Port, Vasakronan, Sydney Adventist Hospital, University of Derby
vRealize Log Insight Video

vRealize Log Insight Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vRealize Log Insight pricing:
"The license cost for any other monitoring tool is too high compared to this product."

vRealize Log Insight Reviews

Systems Operations Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A log analysis and alerts system that is inexpensive compared to the competition
  • "The setup and installation are very easy."
  • "It is very scalable and can handle a large workload."
  • "It needs better integration with third-party analytics tools."
  • "Log retention should have more options for user control."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for system log collection and analysis.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about the solution is the interactive log analysis and then that we can use the analysis to send alerts.

What needs improvement?

I think there are a lot of areas where the product could be improved. To start with I would like the capability to do additional customizations, like integrating with third-party products. Every customer that we have is not using Log Insight. For those people who are using Solarwinds or Splunk or any other monitoring tool, there should be an option to forward the logs from Insights to the other products and options for this that we can choose. It would be good to make it so we can start forwarding logs and analysis to other monitoring systems.

It would be good to be able to increase log retention. They improved log retention in the latest version. Before it was only 30 days that you could keep the logs, but in the latest version, they have increased that limit to a number of months. One thing that goes along with the enhanced log retention is we need to have a lot of space to store the logs.

So, integration with other monitoring tools and log retentions are things that should be more under user control. We need to have additional storage, fine. That is okay, we have a lot of storage at our data centers and if necessary we can put in additional disks.

But the license cost is too much. Compared to the storage costs we will have to increase capacity, the license from vRealize will be more costly.

We have been using vRealize Log Insight by VMware for a few years, from 2014 to the present.

I think it is a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution. I can say that I agree with the claims that it can be scaled. It is an awesome product. Organizationally it is able to cover our needs completely. Most likely we have nearly 40,000 fixed logs. There are a lot of things that we can do with Log Insight.

We used to have HP OpenView monitoring. Then we moved to Centreon monitoring. Then we moved to Splunk. Then later we changed again to using Log Insight.

The reason for changing finally to vRealize was it based on the fact that we got a vRealize site license site. Log Insight is a part of the vRealize Suite. With this product, we did not need to buy an additional license for log monitoring.

The setup and installations are very, very easy and straightforward. There is nothing that takes much effort and in that way it is fine.

The amount of time that it takes to do the installation depends on how big your infrastructure is. If we are going to do a single node, it may take a few minutes. If you are going to do an installation for a cluster using Log Insight, then it might take some additional time, but it based on the number of modes. It total, it may take an average of twelve hours.

Log Insight does not cost much when compared to Splunk. The license cost for Splunk or any other monitoring tool is too high. Compared to Insight that way — just looking at the license — the vRealize solution is kind of a cheap and better than other products cost-wise.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people looking at Log Insight as a monitoring tool is that it is good and that they can go ahead and go for it because it is a good solution.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the product overall as an eight-of-ten.

Senior Specialist: IT Enterprise Systems at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Good interface and log search functionality but could use better pricing
  • "The interface of the solution is good."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for a basic login switch.

It's a centralized login server for us. When we have some incident or some log that we want to query, instead of querying directly to its server we analyze the logs and create our own specific queries.

What is most valuable?

The log search functionality is very good.

The alerts, based on patterns, is quite useful.

The interface of the solution is good.

The dashboard offers good functionality.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution could be improved.

The vRealize content packs should be able to pass more information from the UNIX log.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The stability of the solution is good.

We have some issues regarding space management. We may need to get fully comfortable with the idea of deleting the old logs. We usually have some issues with space and it requires more intervention.

We've been in contact with technical support in the past. They're quite good. We're satisfied with the level of service we've been provided.

We're also using Elastic's X-Pack. There aren't too many differences between the solutions. To me, they are almost the same in terms of offering and functionality. The biggest difference is that Log Insight has some items built-in and Elestci requires you to do a few things yourself.

The initial setup of the solution, as far as I can recall, was straightforward. There wasn't much complexity involved.

What other advice do I have?

I personally am not actively using the solution for searching for logs or creating log analysis. I'm just using it for a few needs here and there when we have some requirements.

It depends on a company's use cases, but I would advise that if they've got the infrastructure and it is all based on VMware, they should use Log Insight despite the price. I personally have more preference for the open-source tools but because of the price, also. However, Log Insight is quite good and very useful.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's a good product, but it has room for improvement and could improve upon the pricing.