IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Tektronix Oscilloscopes OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Tektronix Oscilloscopes?

8 out of 10 engineers around the world trust Tektronix to help them debug and test tomorrow's designs faster. With the broadest portfolio of digital oscilloscopes available, the richest set of product features, the most extensive analysis capability and our award-winning service and support, Tektronix has the right oscilloscope to meet your needs.

Tektronix Oscilloscopes was previously known as TBS Series, TDS Series, MDO Series, MSO Series.

Tektronix Oscilloscopes Video

Archived Tektronix Oscilloscopes Reviews (more than two years old)

Sr Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
B-scan is its most valuable feature. However, we are looking for an Intel platform with the newest chipset.
  • "B-scan is its most valuable feature."
  • "We have multiple systems for manufacturing tests, and it's critical for our support. The support increases our productivity."
  • "We are looking for an Intel platform with the newest chipset."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for testing. The application space that this solution targets is embedded systems, i.e., security and data storage.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it a lot. We have multiple systems for manufacturing tests, and it's critical for our support. The support increases our productivity.

What is most valuable?

B-scan is its most valuable feature. The user interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for an Intel platform with the newest chipset. They have to support the new industry standard.

More than five years.

We are utilizing the full bandwidth of the product. The product is field upgradable, and we plan to utilize this going forward.

We call the technical support all the time.

We got a demo before purchasing. It helps us to have a high-level of understanding for what they do. The pricing is okay. It was within our budget.

Our second choice would have been Keysight.

What other advice do I have?

Try it if it is within your budget. It is a good product. The learning curve is very quick. It takes about one or two days. While we have plans to use this product to support connect devices, we are not currently doing so. We are currently measuring signals from 3.0 and 4.0, and looking for 5.0.
Lead Design Engineer at Cadence
It is easy to handle, but not cheap
  • "It is easy to handle, so everyone likes to use it."
  • "I use microservices, but you cannot really probe it, since the technology is not really there."

What is our primary use case?

It's a different bandwidth, so I use it for test compliance.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to handle, so everyone likes to use it.

The user interface is nice. There is also some pre-evaluation software that you can try.

More than five years.

I use the full bandwidth of the product.

It costs a quarter of a million. This technology is not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We have pretty good scopes.

The console is pretty standard. It is easy to use, without too many knobs around the scope.

When learning how to use the scope, the technical terms are mostly the same. You can also Google Tektronix, as they have their own documents, which are good to read and informative.

Post Doctoral Researcher at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Time domain measurement is very accurate compared to other devices
  • "Time domain measurement is very accurate compared to other devices."
  • "If you are dealing with time domain measurement, I strongly recommend using a vendor other than this company."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for TDR measurement. Sometimes, we convert them into a frequency domain. I'm working on a standard. They have a frequency requirements and time domain requirements. Sometimes, we will mix our equipment, but it's easier to do everything at the same time, so we measure in the time domain and convert it to the frequency domain.

I'm measuring high speed differential lines.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to use, which is why I'm mainly using it. I found with its measurement and simulations with its results are very similar. There is value in its accuracy.

When you use same model with the same test point fixtures and do a comparison with other measurements, it seems to provide the most stable results in the time domain state. Therefore, I trust it.

What is most valuable?

Time domain measurement is very accurate compared to other devices.

More than five years.

We demoed the product before purchasing it.

The functionality between devices is almost the same.

What other advice do I have?

The application space that we are using the solution to target is high-speed serial, like USB or HDMI.

We used to connect this product to supported devices, but anymore because we don't need to, though we should.

Jason Rivera - PeerSpot reviewer
Computer Engineer at Sandia National Laboratories
Leaderboard
Provides high confidence in the data being presented in the measurement. There are other devices out there which are more capable, offering more features.
  • "This solution provides high confidence in the data being presented in the measurement to inform a design decision going forward."
  • "There are other devices out there which are more capable, offering more features, with as good quality tech support."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is usually for testing analysis and diagnostics, or characterization.

We are using various models, power supplies, and scopes.

We are measuring all classes of signal families: Power, high-speed digital, RF, and analog.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides high confidence in the data being presented in the measurement to inform a design decision going forward. If I see that I've botched a design and believe in the measurement, then I'll fix it. If I don't have any confidence in the instrument and the measurement presented to me, I would struggle with using that instrument or knowing how to move forward and solving my problem.

What is most valuable?

• Bandwidth
  • Reliability
  • Flexibility of measurements

More than five years.

We are using the full bandwidth of the product.

The product is usually field upgradable.

Tecktronix pricing tends to be pretty fair and reasonable with current market trends. They don't usually bump up the price too much.

What other advice do I have?

The user interface is simple and straightforward.

The application space that we are using the solution to target is vehicle devices.

We are not using this product to support connected devices, e.g., IoT development, nor are we planning to going forward.

Radio Frequency Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The learning curve is fast. It takes about a day.

What is our primary use case?

The application space that we are using the solution to target is 5G and WiFi. We are using this solution to measure WiFi signals.

We are using this product to support connected devices for IoT development.

What is most valuable?

Its transferring function: I can check transfers and responses for checking if a signal is back up and posting a response.

The learning curve is fast. It takes about a day.

The user interface is good, not very complicated. It is very intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I want the system to have a wider bandwidth because high-speed continues to move faster, so there is more bandwidth to cover.

The solution is field upgradable, which will be cost-effective for us in the future.

We have contacted them about demos and new features.

The cost has room for improvement. Though compared to other companies, it's okay.

SI Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
  • "The most valuable features are its ease of use, user interface, and PAM-4. The user interface is good and easy to use."
  • "On the source side, their AWGs don't have enough bandwidth. They need to increase the bandwidth of their AWGs, meaning they have to have a faster sample rate."

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently using the 200 gigasample per second real-time scope and have a 70000 Series.

The primary use case is optical product development for 56 gig PAM-4 with the ability to acquire and display at those rates. We need the 70 gigahertz bandwidth and 200 gigasample per second.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a real-time scope. Because it does a smart software trigger in the PAM-4 GUI, it's very easy to hook up. All I have to do is connect the signal, then I don't have to hook up any trigger source and worry about that dimension. So, it's a very smart, well-designed software.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its ease of use, user interface, and PAM-4. The user interface is good and easy to use.

Tektronix has the acquisition side done very well.

What needs improvement?

In the signal integrity business at these data rates, we are always looking for higher bandwidth and a lower noise floor. Because this product is an 8-bit real-time scope, I would like a lower noise floor and have it go to a 9-bit or 10-bit resolution. That would be beneficial.

On the source side, their AWGs don't have enough bandwidth. They need to increase the bandwidth of their AWGs, meaning they have to have a faster sample rate. Though, they generally have plenty of resolution. A 100 gigasample per second AWG would be excellent.

More than five years.

We are using the full bandwidth of the product. 70 gigahertz bandwidth for real-time scope is important. To get the step response, we need that excess bandwidth. If I wanted to get a 33 gigahertz bandwidth with a good step function, I would need that excess bandwidth so I can apply appropriate vessel filters.

They do have optical front-ends which are optional. We are taking advantage of that. In certain, very specific ways, it's field upgradable. I would imagine when they have the next product that it goes to a higher sample rate, and that'll be a whole new product.

We're very lucky to have very close Tektronix support since the company is local.

In the 100 gigabit Ethernet and 400 gigabit Ethernet category, everything is in the multi-hundred thousand dollar range, so it was fair pricing because everything is expensive.

At the time that we were considering, we considered all the big players: Teledyne LeCroy, Keysight, and Tektronix. Tektronix had the best bandwidth and sample rate. The field keeps changing regarding who has the best product. It keeps bouncing back and forth. Tektronix was the best product at that time and is still a great player now.

We have seen the products at shows.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very capable instrument. It really does the job. It's in a fairly compact form factor at a reasonable power level. There's some other products right now that are huge and take an enormous amount of power, so I would still say it's a key player in the market.

The learning curve was pretty quick. We needed some hand-holding on a few items, but it went pretty fast.

We're measuring electrical signals to ICs that are in the optical modular space and out of the ICs from the ICs in the same space. The application space that we are using the solution to target is 100 gigabit Ethernet and 400 gigabit Ethernet. We are using this product to support optical links.

Real-time scopes offer abilities to see all of the signal. The alternative is equivalent time scopes. You can get an equivalent time scope with the same high bandwidth, but equivalent time scopes sample at such a low rate that we miss errors in diagnostic information. Real-time scopes sees everything. To get a real-time scope above 50 gigahertz bandwidth requires the very best.

George Brown - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr Electrical Engineer at TVH Americas
Leaderboard
Sensitivity of the trigger and reliability are key for us in troubleshooting the HF arena
  • "The sensitivity of the trigger and the reliability are the most valuable features."
  • "It needs one button and every time you push it, you get whatever you need."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for detailed troubleshooting, mainly in the time domain. It has very slow ports. We use the measuring functions of the scope, tracking peak-to-peak, average, and min-max. For us the application space it's targeting is mainly the HF arena. We do get into 2.4 gig on a regular basis, but not usually much higher. We predominantly measure analog signals and signals that are power-supply related. With the switching of power supplies the way it happens now, the more information the better.

What is most valuable?

The sensitivity of the trigger and the reliability are the most valuable features. I see a lot of phase shift take place on a trigger but Tektronix always has the best.

What needs improvement?

It needs one button and every time you push it, you get whatever you need. Label it W.I.M.(what I mean) and advertise it as a wimp interface. Naturally the GPIB has only one command and does whatever you mean it to do.

More than five years.

Technical support is very good at Tektronix. We get to the right person most of the time.

What other advice do I have?

I was at KU for 18 years, where I was director of the electronics labs there. Yes, every semester there was a new learning curve but they did catch on fairly quickly. The scopes were extremely reliable.

Curtis Jones - PeerSpot reviewer
Teacher (emeritus) at San Jose State University
Leaderboard
High sampling rate enables it to clearly render the envelope
  • "When I was looking for a scope for that lab, that five subdivisions per division was important."
  • "I wish we could turn off the automatic measurement feature of the oscilloscope, for teaching purposes."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for teaching students, familiarizing them with the oscilloscope. I want them to spend some time looking at waveforms.

The main signals that we measure are pretty simple sine waves. The interesting waveforms are the succession of waveforms in a simple power supply, where you have the rectified AC and then the filtered AC, so you have to measure the DC and then you have to know how to use AC coupling to show the ripple clearly.

We don't utilize the full bandwidth. We get up to a couple of megahertz.

How has it helped my organization?

The waveform that was particularity badly rendered by some early digital oscilloscopes which we had in the laboratory was a one megahertz carrier, modulated at 500 hertz. To show the envelope requires a fairly substantial sampling rate and this scope has a nice, high sampling rate.

For this introductory electrical engineering lab, it's pretty well-suited to my needs. A lot of students will copy the waveforms onto a memory stick and put them into their reports. That interface exists.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that I look for is five subdivisions per division, because I want students to count divisions on the scope. I don't want them to just read numbers off the screen, I want them to get a feeling for what the waveforms are doing. When I was looking for a scope for that lab, that five subdivisions per division was important.

It's also important to me that we can turn off the automatic setting feature of the oscilloscope.

What needs improvement?

This probably sounds weird, but I think it important that students get familiar with the waveforms and actually count divisions.  This gives a feel for how many digits are really significant, that noise can be part of signals, that it helps to increase the sensitivity to fill as much of the screen as possible  and maybe notice artifacts.  e.g. Students might be asked to measure frequency response of a circuit with a uA 741 op amp.  If the signal level chosen is too high and students don't actually watch the waveform they may not realize the numbers come from the slew-rate limit and not the frequency response.  I actually recognized the problem of the seductiveness of digital displays in another lab where students used a lock-in amplifier with both a digital display and a d'Arsonval meter.  The voltage went through large changes in value, and students were happily writing down the numbers when the instrument was on a totally inappropriate range.  So for the first electrical-engineering lab I think forcing the students to rely on measuring the waveform themselves and not relying on the scope to do it for them gets them started well.

More than five years.

We've had mostly good technical support. The first time I called Tektronix about the difficulty turning off the automatic measurements, I got a "read the manual" response. They had sent the wrong manual, so that didn't work so well.

Another problem we had was instability that developed in the position controls - we're talking about a dozen oscilloscopes in the laboratory - and they were all developing this problem. They ended up having to replace the front panel which contains the circuitry on all of those scopes. That was a little disappointing.

On the whole, I expect Tektronix equipment to be highly reliable and, indeed, there has been virtually no other maintenance that they've required.

They have academic pricing which is helpful. We were very fortunate to have a head of the department who recognized the importance of having high-quality equipment in the lab.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using Tektronix scopes since about 1962. I would recommend the product to a colleague.

The user interface is fine. It has knobs. There was a phase where the oscilloscope designers - and this may have been Hewlett Packard, Agilent, Keysight - tended to have one big knob and then you had to push various buttons and you had to have the buttons pushed the right way for the knob to do whatever you wanted it to do. These scopes are a reversion to the old scopes where you have an individual knob or button for each function, and that has helped.

In terms of being upgradable, there are modules one can get. We do have a power module for some people who sometimes share the oscilloscopes.

Product Line Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
The user interface is like an Apple iPhone, but for oscilloscopes
  • "The Tektronix user interface is like an Apple iPhone, but for oscilloscopes. It is simple to use."
  • "It takes 35 to 45 minutes to get acclimated to the solution."
  • "I would like to see some WiFi capabilities. I would like to upgrade equipment, and if I was in the U.S., I could do that with WiFi capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is measuring data.

It is a great software. It's quite good. I like the hardware. I like the user interface. We use Tektronix just like Apple.

How has it helped my organization?

We are effectively able to manipulate the data and get analytics from it.

What is most valuable?

• It is easy to use. It also has a great interface and products.
  • It takes 35 to 45 minutes to get acclimated to the solution.
  • The Tektronix user interface is like an Apple iPhone, but for oscilloscopes. It is simple to use.

More than five years.

We use the full bandwidth for the 1Gb and 10Gbs.

It is pretty upgradable.

I have always used this solution.

Pricing could be lower. I would want to buy it for an extremely, low price, but Tektronix is a high-end product.

It is a great price for a great product.

What other advice do I have?

The application space that we are using the solution to target is 5G.

We are measure the following high-speed signals: 1Gb, 2Gbs, 5Gbs, and 10Gbs.

R&D at LTK
Good user interface and good technical support help us with equipment testing
  • "The user interface is good."
  • "I would like to see an app from this company for test fixtures."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for testing. Usually, for testing equipment, we define the test frequency in the range of 50 gigahertz.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an app from this company for test fixtures. It's very difficult for us to find test fixtures, so it would be helpful if they were to develop them.

More than five years.

If we need technical help we contact technical support from the company. It's very easy. They have good service.

We needed a new generation product for testing equipment.

The pricing is very expensive.

We looked at HP, but Tektronix is famous in the area of products for equipment testing.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. I would recommend it to colleagues at other companies.

Regarding a learning curve for the equipment, when we purchase this testing equipment from the company, they provide training for us, so if we have any issues we can contact them with the details and they help us to resolve the problem.

I would rate the product at nine out of ten. I'm satisfied with it.

Designer/Consultant at a transportation company
It has the ability to monitor data from a CAN bus
  • "Being able to monitor data from a CAN bus while the vehicle is running will cut down a lot of the feedback for the design mode."
  • "We would like more features for the CAN bus decoding, such as importing DDC files, which allows us to take the raw data and convert it into engineering units."

What is our primary use case?

I develop electric vehicle systems. I use the serial protocol analysis tools, as well as using it with some high voltage differential probes for measuring motor voltage and battery current. We are measuring CAN bus RS232, as well as some power signals for voltage and current.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to monitor data from a CAN bus while the vehicle is running will cut down a lot of the feedback for the design mode. I can obtain things quicker because I can figure out exactly why things aren't happening. Or, if there's a fault, I can find out the source more quickly.

What is most valuable?

The ability to have the serial protocol analysis is key.

Isolated probes are good to have, as most of the scopes don't have it. It drives up the cost when you have to buy isolated probes.

What needs improvement?

We would like more features for the CAN bus decoding, such as importing DDC files, which allows us to take the raw data and convert it into engineering units. So, if I wanted to look at speed from a vehicle instead of looking at a hexadecimal or binary values on the oscilloscope it can load the DDC file and display the actual speed in miles per hour.

Its connectivity and ability to use it with PCs and smart phones needs improvement.

More than five years.

You can get application keys for it. The hardware isn't really upgradable, but you can unlock additional functionality,

I don't utilize the full bandwidth. Most of the stuff that I do is for CAN bus, which doesn't need anything in the gigahertz range

First, I'd go over to Google. The manuals are pretty well-written. They have a lot of documentation there. It's also not hard to reach out to the technical support, as they are fairly responsive.

When I first started using an oscilloscope, it was a Tektronix. That is what my university had. There was a learning curve, but it was mostly associated with the fact that I did not know how to use an oscilloscope.

I was an intern at Tektronix, then I got a deal on a Tektronix Oscilloscopes. That was pretty much the reason why I chose it. I didn't pick it over a previous scope, because I didn't have one before.

Tektronix Oscilloscopes are really expensive for small businesses. The low-end scopes don't really compare performance-wise to what the other companies provide, like RIGOL . Mostly that just has to do with the software options.

It's available on the low-end scopes for free, but on the higher-end scopes, it is expensive. Therefore, it's a bit more difficult to make stuff work.

What other advice do I have?

It is really solid hardware. The only room for improvement is the software.

Make sure that you understand what you are going to use these oscilloscopes for and don't spend money on features which you don't need.

Some of competitors' user interfaces are more intuitive. The Tektronix Oscilloscopes user interface is a lot of method menu. The newer Tektronix user interfaces are easier, because they have touch screens.

The application space that the solution targets is embedded systems for electric vehicle development. For example, I'm working on an electric bicycle dashboard right now.

There will be some Bluetooth at some point. I haven't gotten to it yet.

Hardware Design Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Software packages make it easy to do some really complex measurements
  • "The most valuable feature is the automation component in setting up some of these measurements."

What is our primary use case?

We use a range of Tektronix scopes. We have a 33-gig, real-time scope, as well as some lower-end models that we use for general digital debugging. In addition, we do ISP/IO characterization and general analysis. We do high-speed serial designs that are embedded. We mainly focus on fiber-optic telecom gear.

We measure the full gamut of signals, whether it's low-speed control IO, like Is4c, all the way up to 28G certes designs. It's a full range of signals, and as far as the applications it's enabling, that's really our entire design.

We are utilizing the whole bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

For the high-end products, we do a lot of general analysis. We use it to verify reference plot jitter and that's very important, especially when problems come up with BER and particular types of designs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automation component in setting up some of these measurements. There a lot of software packages, which are a part of the 33-gig scope in particular, that make it easy to do some really complex measurements. For the most part, it's point and go.

With the lower-end scopes, we use the Is4c bus decoding. That's a very valuable feature for us. We use that on a monthly basis to debug a lot of Is4c problems that seem to pop up every so often.

More than five years.

Technical support is great. That's why we have been loyal to Tektronix. We have a local rep who helps us out with any problems that we have or assistance that we need in making measurements. That's really key. It's not so much the scope itself, but getting support when we need it.

It could always be cheaper, but I don't really get involved too much with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Research well what you need because, with the capabilities of the instruments, you definitely pay up for getting a very high-end piece of gear, and that might not necessarily be exactly what you need, even though the sales guys tell you that it is.

It doesn't take too long to get acclimated to the product. Whenever we do have a problem, the local rep seems to be able to help us with it. It's important too, to make sure you're doing things right, and not necessarily do them on your own, thinking you're doing things right.

The user interface is usable. It's nothing fancy.

I believe our solution is field-upgradable, especially when it comes to software packages. If there's something that we need, we can get a key for that pretty quickly.

Ramesh Thangellapslli - PeerSpot reviewer
    QA Director at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Leaderboard
    Works at both high and low frequencies and has an excellent user interface
    • "The user interface is excellent. The GUI is so self-explanatory and there are the same knobs everywhere; the design is a standard design line."
    • "The ruggedness could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Tektronix instruments for testing and measuring instruments. We use them in a broadcasting video technology, for video and video applications, to measure CD waveforms and other testing processes. We use them in almost every testing instance for automated design and research. We measure RF, video, and sometimes audio. We are utilizing the full bandwidth of the product.

What is most valuable?

The latest trend is that you can store things and then you can see them. And they work at high frequencies and low frequencies.

Also, the user interface is excellent. The GUI is so self-explanatory and there are the same knobs everywhere; the design is a standard design line. Tektronix has been in the industry now for 50 or 100 years. These are very good scopes.

What needs improvement?

The ruggedness could be improved.

More than five years.

Tech support is excellent.

From the beginning, I've been using the same vendor's products, although different models.

The pricing is not too high and not too low.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding a learning curve, if you are an engineer, it wouldn't take that much time. You could probably learn it in a couple of days.

I would rate the products at eight out of ten because of the design, performance, the ruggedness, and the ease-of-use for the layman. All those things put together make it an eight.

Engineer Manager
    Robust and reliable, it's a hammer-resistant machine
    • "Tektronix is robust and reliable. It's a hammer-resistant machine, a fact which is most important on our manufacturing floor."
    • "They need to add more memory to this machine."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the Tektronix 8300 for measurements. It's a very good machine. We typically run with a serial DSLR application. The signals we measure are pulse and we are utilizing the full bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

Typically, our customers ask us about the full set of signal integrated characteristics, including TDR measurements and VNA measurements. Tektronix gives us manual measurements and we also do automatic measurements with a robot. We provide 100 percent coverage of PCBs. It helps to make sure our customers are happy.

What is most valuable?

Tektronix is robust and reliable. It's a hammer-resistant machine, a fact which is most important on our manufacturing floor.

The user interface is also good. I'm not in love with it, but it's really good. It's easy to control with our applications.

What needs improvement?

They need to add more memory to this machine because at this time the machine can support random simulation to the power of 15 but realistically, in requests from our customers, we need it to the power of 31. It's typically memory which is the issue.

More than five years.

Technical support is okay. I'm happy with it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product.

Regarding a learning curve, there isn't one. It's a very good machine with very good support. If we need the support, they're there every time.

In terms of upgradability, again, I would like to see more memory. Right now, the machine has up to 50 gigahertz variance which, in most cases, is okay.

I would rate the product at eight out of ten because it's not too small and works in most cases. The two missing points are for the upgrades I mentioned. And if I give it a ten, they'll sleep quietly.

Electrical Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Mixed Domain scope provides spectrum analyzer and regular scope together
    • "I haven't seen anything similar where it has a spectrum analyzer and regular scope together."
    • "The power of the computer inside is weak. Sometimes I send a lot of data and I'll feel the lag... I would like to see them improve the processing power."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the MDO3000 or MDO4000 series. They're very similar. We use them for making measurements or working on testing electrical signals. We use them for general purpose.

I'm working on computer motherboards. It's a different type of signal. The good thing is that it's very general-purpose. In most cases, the frequencies are up to six gig for the spectrum analyzer. For example, I measure I2C5 and USB. It cannot go into superspeed. But for superspeed I can look at the frequency. That's useful at times.

At times I'm almost using the full bandwidth of the product. For example, if I want to look at a USB clock, if it's Gen 1 it would be about five gigs. Sometimes I use that to see if the clocking has an issue.

How has it helped my organization?

Because it can detect both frequency and time domains simultaneously, if I want to check I send a command to the device and I can look at the frequency output. I can observe them and see the latencies together at one time. I don't need to use two pieces of equipment. That's the cool part.

What is most valuable?

I haven't seen anything similar where it has a spectrum analyzer and regular scope together. They work simultaneously, so they call it "mixed domain."

What needs improvement?

Tektronix sells a lot of options. Those options are a bit of confusing at times. It would be nice if the package included everything so I wouldn't have to figure out what I need to buy.

In terms of room for improvement, it's a powerful scope. But, the power of the computer inside is weak. Sometimes I send a lot of data and I'll feel the lag. The computer is slow. Eventually it provides the answer. I would like to see them improve the processing power.

Three to five years.

The company has a direct contact. I know the person I need to call, so it is very easy.

Tektronix came to our company and demoed it and I saw that it was useful. We work with them frequently so when they have a new product it comes to us.

The lower the better, that would be my suggestion.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this scope to colleagues.

There was a little bit of a learning curve regarding the menu, but I eventually figured out how to get multiple windows or single windows and how to turn on a given domain. Overall, it's really quick. The front panel, the operational panel, is very straightforward. It has the scope plus a regular spectrum analyzer, with keys for the numbers.

I rate the product at ten out of ten. If someone needs a general-purpose scope, it's a good one.

Hardware Engineer at Northrop
    Good user interface helps us with circuit debugging and signal analysis
    • "It has a good user interface. It's easy to use, easy to read. It's intuitive."
    • "If they could make the user interface even more intuitive that would help. If they could make it easier to read, to know where the buttons are, that's all I need."

What is our primary use case?

We're mostly using high-speed network analyzer models, but then we have some low-speed signal integrity work that we do as well. We use the product for circuit debugging and signal analysis. For us, the product targets high-speed serial applications. It's fantastic.

We use it to support IoT development as well.

I'm not personally utilizing the full bandwidth of the product but there are other people who are using it to the full bandwidth. It's working well for the stuff that's meant for high-speed.

What is most valuable?

It has a good user interface. It's easy to use, easy to read. It's intuitive. The easier it is to use, the quicker you can get your job done, figure out what's wrong and move on. Ease of use is really the key.

What needs improvement?

If they could make the user interface even more intuitive that would help. If they could make it easier to read, to know where the buttons are, that's all I need.

More than five years.

The technical support is great. They come in, they show us how to use it. If we have questions, they'll give presentations.

It's cost-effective. The company buys whatever we need to buy. It really isn't a matter of cost. It might cost a lot of money, but if we need it we buy it.

What other advice do I have?

There isn't so much of a learning curve. They'll come in and give you training for whatever kind of toy you want to use. The learning curve is fine.

The solution is field-upgradable. We have upgraded several modules as we have needed to. We'll buy the baseline and if something comes up, we'll upgrade.

Sai Ram Anand Vempati - PeerSpot reviewer
    Hardware Validation Engineer at Qualcomm
    Leaderboard
    Provides you the best way to view information without opening multiple applications
    • "It provides you the best way to view information without opening multiple applications, like a single solution."
    • "There was a learning curve, which was a little tricky at times. Getting used to the GUI took time because we had to learn the different features."

What is our primary use case?

The primary case would be passenger measurements and calculations for all PCIe US facilities.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides you the best way to view information without opening multiple applications, like a single solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the ease of use in terms of the different applications.

The user interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There was a learning curve, which was a little tricky at times. Getting used to the GUI took time because we had to learn the different features, but once we learnt it, it was good.

We are using the full bandwidth of the product, and it is handling it well.

The technical support are good and work quickly.

Some of the products are more flexible depending on the use case that you need.

We did demo this product and found it worked for us.

What other advice do I have?

The applications that this products target are more services. We do target certain applications, like PCIe and USB. We are not using it for IoT development.

It is mostly used for measuring NRB signals.

Distinguished Technologist at HP Enterprise
    Provides fast response, helping our design-verification cycle
    • "It has very fast response with deep memory."
    • "I would like to see more integration into machine learning because that's what we try to apply it to."

What is our primary use case?

We use many models of oscilloscopes for lab tests. We use it for high-speed systems, mostly for PCIe Gen4. We utilize the full bandwidth of the product.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps our design-verification cycle.

What is most valuable?

It has very fast response with deep memory and gets the job done. The user interface is also very intuitive with a fast response.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration into machine learning because that's what we try to apply it to.

More than five years.

They have great technical support.

The company was already using it when I started with them.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very reliable product.

I would rate the product a ten out of ten. They provide a great partnership with us. We have certain projects going on with together with Tektronix and they're great partners.

Jose Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Design Engineer at PETsys Electronics SA
    Leaderboard
    Enables us to validate electronics designs and to use it for debugging and prototyping
    • "The Ipath and measurements are fantastic and simple to implement."

What is our primary use case?

We use several models for validation of electronics designs, for particle physics, or for medical applications. It's a debugger and for prototyping. For us, the solution is mostly targeting 6G. We are measuring data transfer applications, mostly; data links and transference stability. We don't utilize the full bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the quality. Also, the Ipath and measurements are fantastic and simple to implement.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a lower price.

More than five years.

We haven't needed much technical support. And when we have needed it, we have a very good contact person. He always responds fast. But it's not usual for us to need him.

The problem is that the products are expensive. But we know academics get a big discount so I cannot complain much. We are in the academic world, so it's nice.

We also have Keysight and LeCroy. There are always competitors. In terms of demos, at the large companies, they will bring the equipment to them for testing.

What other advice do I have?

We would definitely recommend this product.

There is an ongoing learning curve. They exponentially increase the number of functions. I don't think I ever use 80 percent of the functionality. I probably use only 20 percent of the functions. The user interface is complicated when you first start it up, but then you get used to the sequences.

Our solution is field-upgradable up to 10 gigahertz.

I would rate the product at nine out of ten. A ten is never achievable. There is always room for improvement.

Glenn Snyder - PeerSpot reviewer
      Principal Electrical Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
      Leaderboard
      Multi-channel, with bandwidth filtering, it helps reduce my testing time
      • "Valuable features include that it's multi-channel... and has bandwidth filtering. The user interface is good."
      • "I know you can get the Bit Masks but it's generally really expensive to get the eye diagrams and Bit Masks with it. I wish they were included or cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

Debugging is our primary use case for the product. We use it around 500 megahertz, maybe one gigahertz, but we're not implementing any serial links. The signals we measure are clocks and data. For the most part we're measuring between FPGAs and memory chips and looking at their data buses. We're not usually utilizing the full bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps to reduce my testing time.

What is most valuable?

• It's multi-channel, four-channel
      • The frequency range that I can run it over
      • It has bandwidth filtering
      • The user interface is good, I don't have any complaints with it

What needs improvement?

I have not needed technical support. I had a broken fan once and I just sent it back and it came back.

What other advice do I have?

It's pretty intuitive after you've used any scope. It's relatively easy. I like to use it and it does what I need it to do.

For what I use it for, it works perfectly well for me. Our solution is field-upgradable, but it's good the way it is for us.

I would rate the product at eight out of ten. I don't usually find that the scope is holding me back from finding out what I need to.

Electrical Design Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
      MSP
      The O-scopes help us figure out what's going wrong with our scope out signals
      • "The most valuable features are everything they do. We primarily use the O-scopes and they help us figure out what's going wrong with our scope out signals."
      • "There is room for improvement when it comes to the screen size. I don't really have a lot of complaints but screen size would be the biggest thing."

What is our primary use case?

We use them for testing and measurement.

We do pretty standard stuff. We come up with a circuit and we expect it to do something. We simulate it, and then we test it out in the lab. We prototype it and then use the O-scope to verify our results, and if something's going wrong we try to track down what it is.

The application space we use it for is embedded systems. We do contract engineering and we pick up projects from different groups. We make an end solution for them. It's business-to-business, it's not really like end-consumer stuff. They come up with all sorts of things, like printers or reusing cameras in different ways.

We're measuring analog and digital signals. SPI is the fastest thing we run with. I don't think we're using the full bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

In term of the user interface, it's okay. Ours are older models and I know some of the newer ones have touchscreens on them. But still, it's not difficult to use, once you get used to it.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement when it comes to the screen size. I don't really have a lot of complaints but screen size would be the biggest thing.

More than five years.

I have used technical support maybe once or twice. It was alright. I tried to get something fixed one time and I got an initial response and then I didn't get another response. But other than that, it's been okay. I haven't used it very often.

I didn't switch. The products were there when I started with the company.

They're all pretty expensive. If everything costs that much, I suppose the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

It works really well for general lab stuff, general testing, prototype and measurement.

I have been using Tektronix products since I started. I might have used them in college, too, so it's been about seven-and-a-half years. We're using a couple of the O-scopes, the MSO3000 and the MSO4000. We also have some arbitrary function generators and some power supplies.

There is definitely a learning curve. It was so long ago that I don't really know how long it takes to get acclimated to the equipment.

We actually just started an IoT project, so I'm now using it for that.

I would rate the products at nine out of ten. Personally, I don't give things a perfect score unless they really are perfect. They do what I need them to do and work pretty well. They're just a little outdated, but that's not really their fault.

WenjunShi - PeerSpot reviewer
      Engineer at NVIDIA Corporation
      Leaderboard
      An accurate, high speed product which could use more customer engagement
      • "I trust Tektronix for its accuracy. The probes of solution fit my application. E.g., the speed of probes, the way that it is using probes with designs, and the probes' size."
      • "I would like if they could have more customer support engagement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for signaling to every waveform measurement and doing some post analysis of the waveform.

How has it helped my organization?

I trust Tektronix for its accuracy. The probes of solution fit my application. E.g., the speed of probes, the way that it is using probes with designs, and the probes' size. I like that.

What is most valuable?

• Accuracy
      • High speed

I mainly use the basic version, as I am working with signaling 30 minute measurements, and just need the origin waveform. I and taking that waveform out from the scope and do further analysis with the other tool I have. Therefore, I don't use too many features of the scope.

What needs improvement?

I would like if they could have more customer support engagement.

Going forward, they should keep up with the industry's speed for oscilloscopes.

We have direct contact with technical support. We are always calling the person that we know there. That is the way it works.

I did not experience a learning curve because of contact person who we work together with at Tektronix.

Founder at a tech company
      I can take my lab to customers by accessing their domain and showing them signals
      • "It has digital scopes with a high bandwidth and digitized signal. It can do whatever you want with the signal. Since its user-friendly software allows you to work with the signal, which is pretty cool."
      • "I am not utilizing the full bandwidth of this product."

What is our primary use case?

I do everything with this product. I categorize and test. It can be online on the cloud in the lab, allowing us to see what the data conditions are. It has an automatic extracting level.

I use most of the high end digital scopes that I like, because they have a lot of features for software user interfaces, captures, or shared transit control. The user friendliness of these boxes is very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

When you have a very high-level interface (test boxes), you can do extractions in any format. Then, externally, you have all these math labs solving for mathematical software. Afterwards, you can take it beyond. That is what the box does for you, it obtains the signal. Then, you can search for other things in the signal that you want beyond the scope, e.g., spectral stuff with the data.

We like that Tektronix offers a user interface and data acquisitions in formats which we can take to the next level.

When we connect Tektronix through our test boxes, that is the internet of things, because I have reached the Internet through the box. My engineers are not in the lab all the time, so they just hook it up, then we go to the office. We are reaching our test sites through the boxes where we extract our data while staying in the office doing our analysis.

I could access a customer domain in Asia and show them the signals. They don't need to be in my laboratory. In the past, I had to invite my customers to my lab. Now, I can take my lab to customers. It is a different reality.

What is most valuable?

It has digital scopes with a high bandwidth and digitized signal. It can do whatever you want with the signal. Since its user-friendly software allows you to work with the signal, which is pretty cool.

It has a very good interface. There are fewer buttons, even though their boxes are very heavy in analog.

What needs improvement?

Their hardware piece for their test engagement boxes builds on its own. The chips from some of the ICs technically build it themselves. Then, they look for a market for ICs from high end analog to augment their solutions. It is important for Tektronix to own the digitizer chips in the ICs and roadmap.

Tektronix should continue to invest in their own hardware, since most companies cannot do what they do due to size and power. They should continue to invest on their own process going forward.

I am not utilizing the full bandwidth of this product. However, Tektronix is organizing the buttons, menus, etc., so it's not cluttered and user-friendly.

More than five years.

Their technical support and help line are good. It is backed up by a very good user interface. Otherwise, I would just be burying myself in manuals unsure of the questions to ask technical support when I called.

Their scopes are fancy to me, since I used to use tube scopes before, but I like them because I can do a lot of different things with them than in the past. I still use my 30-year-old scopes, but Tektronix Oscilloscopes are useful. You just have to adapt to them.

The prices are compatible with what they offer. Going forward, I would like them to become more competitive and dominant with their pricing in the market.

What other advice do I have?

They are closer to 4G in the applications space.