We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Stormshield Network Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Stormshield Network Security is #8 ranked solution in top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. PeerSpot users give Stormshield Network Security an average rating of 8 out of 10. Stormshield Network Security is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Stormshield Network Security vs Fortinet FortiGate. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 46% of all views.
What is Stormshield Network Security?
NETASQ's integrated intrusion prevention engine uses protocol conformity analysis, application filtering and antivirus analysis to inspect authorized traffic flows and strengthen application security. NETASQ enables you to establish and configure user-based security policies, giving you greater control over which network resources each user is authorized to access.

Stormshield Network Security was previously known as NETASQ Firewalls.

Download the Unified Threat Management (UTM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Stormshield Network Security Customers
ACESUR group, Ministry of Education Oman, Anios Laboratories, Zain, DLM Location
Stormshield Network Security Video

Stormshield Network Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Stormshield Network Security pricing:
  • "I think the price is good."
  • "We bought a three-year license, and we renew it whenever it expires. The price could be better. It's always very expensive."
  • Stormshield Network Security Reviews

Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Robust, provides a high level of security at a reasonable cost
    • "A very robust product."
    • "Improvement is needed in terms of the technical support of the manufacturer."

What is our primary use case?

We are a value-added distributor of Stormshield and I'm the owner of the company.

What is most valuable?

This is a very robust product. We've sold it here in the U.S.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see an improvement in the design of the product. Improvement is also needed in terms of the technical support of the manufacturer, they're not very responsive when it comes to technical support. They're also not very active on presales. Those are the main issues.

I'd like to see a strengthening of the ransomware component. The former version that we have has no ransomware on it. The reporting also needs improvement so that we can receive it in several languages. We leave some of the equipment with customers and monitor security for them. Each month we have to pull a report and most of the time, some of the languages are not available so it also requires translation.

I've been using this solution for eight years.

Stormshield's pretty robust, compared to other products like Fortinet. You get more security with Stormshield and spend less money.

We have a total of about 60 people using Stormshield, and they are deployed throughout various departments. We have our PKI platform, and it's used there. We also have some Stormshield equipment on another network. I'd say 50% of the people here are on Stormshield, working on projects or connecting to the networks.

When you don't know the product, the initial setup is a little complex. But once you're familiar with it, it's pretty easy to configure it with the parameters. Deploymentook us five days but deployment time would depend on the security policy that you have within your organization. What is the policy? What are you trying to protect? The program has so many features that one cannot activate all of them, but you need to activate and put parameters in the system based on your policy. As resellers, we have people who have been trained to deploy and support it.

We have a perpetual license so we just pay for maintenance. We've had training in maintenance so we tend to do it ourselves unless we need some upgrade. In that case, we ask the manufacturer to come and help.

We did an apples-to-apples comparison of Stormshield and some of the Fortinet equipment, and we've seen that Fortinet is a bit more expensive. In terms of security, Fortinet offers less than we've seen with Stormshield. Stormshield lacks the huge marketing budget that Fortinet has to go out there and make themselves known.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise being very patient when it comes to getting pricing from the company. We used to have a direct contact with Stormshield when it was Netasq. After a few years they tried to appoint a so-called master distributor. Apparently that is not working and the sale channels are scrambled and pretty difficult.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

CEO & Founder at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    A good protective shield that is easily manageable in a variety of environments
    • "Easily manageable in a variety of environments."
    • "The SD card could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT service provider not end users. We are the only service provider of this solution in Central Africa. I'm the CEO and a founding partner of the company.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution can be managed in a variety of environments, and that it provides us with a shield.

What needs improvement?

Many products are in front of the firewall and anybody can pick them up and the firewall will crash. It requires protection of the software and the SD card to avoid that kind of damage. I don't feel the SD card is particularly secure.

I've been using this solution for two years.

This is a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution

Support is always and issue because they're constantly busy. It can take a few hours to get a response. When we sell the product to a new customer we also need to get through to them and it can sometimes take several days.

There are numerous differences in the various solutions. I feel we have more options with the Stormshield firewall and new features that we haven't previously had. Cisco, for example, doesn't have the features that Stormshield has.

Implementation is very simple although variable depending on the features that require management. If it's just about configuring to set up internet access with basic filing options, it would take less than an hour and only requires one person.

Licensing cost depends on the features that you need. VPN is included in the license, for example, but if you want to buy antivirus or anti spam, there is an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Stormshield, Sophos, WatchGuard and others in Unified Threat Management (UTM). Updated: January 2022.
    564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Network and Security Engineer at Omdurman National Bank
    A stable and scalable security solution with a useful SMD filtering feature
    • "I like how you can configure the rules. There is the task for the rules and a task for the network configuration. It also provides SMD filtering, and it can be integrated with the active directory for the users, their mission, and the VPN configuration. We are here in Sudan, and Stormshield didn't work in Sudan for more than a decade. Stormshield is a very strong firewall and very easy to configure and maintain. I am just working with the firewall solution, and we don't have any other solutions like endpoint solutions or something like that."
    • "The filtering configuration could be better. We have some difficulties with the filtering configuration and the filter extension. It's not that easy. It's not that straightforward. In the next release, I would like to see a reporting system. Stormshield doesn't have any tutorials on how to do the configuration and things like that. They just have documentation on the website. If you want to configure, for example, Cisco or Fortinet, you can find tutorials on YouTube. They show you how to configure the features, and so on. In Stormshield, there is nothing on social media or the internet on how to configure different things. The lack of documentation or the lack of material makes it difficult for others to adopt this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use Stormshield Network Security for the firewall.

What is most valuable?

I like how you can configure the rules. There is the task for the rules and a task for the network configuration. It also provides SMD filtering, and it can be integrated with the active directory for the users, their mission, and the VPN configuration.

We are here in Sudan, and Stormshield didn't work in Sudan for more than a decade. Stormshield is a very strong firewall and very easy to configure and maintain. I am just working with the firewall solution, and we don't have any other solutions like endpoint solutions or something like that.

What needs improvement?

The filtering configuration could be better. We have some difficulties with the filtering configuration and the filter extension. It's not that easy. It's not that straightforward. In the next release, I would like to see a reporting system.

Stormshield doesn't have any tutorials on how to do the configuration and things like that. They just have documentation on the website. If you want to configure, for example, Cisco or Fortinet, you can find tutorials on YouTube. They show you how to configure the features, and so on. In Stormshield, there is nothing on social media or the internet on how to configure different things. The lack of documentation or the lack of material makes it difficult for others to adopt this solution.

I have been using Stormshield Network Security for seven or eight years.

Stormshield Network Security is stable. I think if you choose the right box, it'll work properly for you.

Stormshield Network Security is scalable, and I didn't find any limitations in the box.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I think the price is good.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Stormshield Network Security an eight.

User at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
    A stable multi-layer collaborative security solution that works fine
    • "I like that it works fine. Stormshield is a very good solution."
    • "It could be better if it were more user-friendly. It's too complicated for us to use it. The price could be better as well."

What is our primary use case?

We use Stormshield Network Security for IPsec VPN, URL filtering, QoS and the other ones. We also use it for SSL VPN for the user and some other things.

What is most valuable?

I like that it works fine. Stormshield is a very good solution.

What needs improvement?

It could be better if it were more user-friendly for us as we dont use it very often evn if we never had problems to modify setup when needed.

I have been using Stormshield Network Security for about four years.

Stormshield Network Security is a very stable solution. We haven't had any problems with it.

The solution works perfectly so we never had to contact technical support

We used Arkoon solution during 10 years and it worked perfectly. Arkoon evolved and was replaced by Stormshield solutions

Vendor team did it for us using previous Arkoon setup. It was done in a half day.

vendor team : level of expertise was perfect (10/10)

We bought a three-year license, and we renew it whenever it expires. The price could be lower but firewall licenses are always expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that it's a very good solution although I heard Palo Alto was also a very good solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Stormshield Network Security a nine.