We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

SQLite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is SQLite?
SQLite is a software library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL database engine

Download the Open Source Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

SQLite Customers
Oracle, Bloomberg, Bentley, Mozilla

Archived SQLite Reviews (more than two years old)

Co-founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
SQLite does not have spatial extensions but a project called SpatiaLite takes care of this.

What is most valuable?

Whenever I need a single file database that works server-less, cross-platform and has acid properties, I use SQLite. It also supports triggers which can be used for many things like handling data integrity. One more important point is that there is a Firefox extension called SQLite Manager which is a free client that helps you to do almost anything that you expect from client software.

How has it helped my organization?

I mostly used it at university in a Database Systems class where students are first introduced to SQL. They need something easy to use in their projects, so SQLite is the perfect candidate. As SQLite truly is cross platform some students were able to build Android applications for their final projects.

We can share sample databases as files so no one has to populate their own. People are no longer needed to setup a server which saves time. As it is server-less you can just pop-up a browser window and start experimenting on your SQLite DB, or create one without installing any drivers whatsoever.

What needs improvement?

SQLite does not have user defined functions like other database management systems do, and you have to write C code, which is a complication that you may not get into for a user defined function.

Over four years.

I previously used the H2 database and I changed because I had problems while connecting with the PHP server.

I also looked at using an embedded MySQL DB but it was not single file and there are problems using it on a PHP server as it needs some effort to run on a Windows machine.

What other advice do I have?

In my experience, I have never used SQLite in a large project, but I used it teach and create proof of concept applications, and it has served me well. For one case, I needed spatial extensions which SQLite does not have but someone else created a project which extends SQLite called SpatiaLite.

Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Single-file based database which is useful for testing and for embedding in many applications

Valuable Features:

- For me it was a really fast setup, I only needed to include a library into my application - This DMS is embedded, there is no need for the user to think about connections - It is used for testing because many frameworks, for example Rails use SQLite as testing database - For me was very easy to move a database - I observed that it has not external dependencies

Room for Improvement:

- I used both SQLite and MySQL and I observed that SQLite’s capabilities are inferior to MySQL. - I noticed that SQLite does not have users and permissions, so everyone who can access the file can access all data - Also SQLite does not have performance improvement, it does not cache queries or optimizes selects. - I wanted to use SQLite with PHP, but I did not find many articles on the web about combining PHP with SQLite

Other Advice:

When I first heard about SQLite, I read that it is a single-file based database which is useful for testing and for embedding in many applications. This means that all the information is stored in a single file on a file system and I use a SQLite library to open this file to read and write my data. Then I compared it with MySQL and I noticed that MySQL is a database server which got different forms to store its data.
Product Categories
Open Source Databases
Download our free Open Source Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about SQLite, Firebird, Oracle, and more!