IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Berkeley DB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Oracle Berkeley DB?

Oracle Berkeley DB provides the best open source embeddable databases allowing developers the choice of SQL, Key/Value, XML/XQuery or Java Object storage for their data model. At its core is a fast, scalable, transactional database engine with proven reliability and availability. Berkeley DB comes three versions: Berkeley DB, Berkeley DB Java Edition, and Berkeley DB XML.

The Oracle Berkeley DB family of high performance, self-contained databases provides developers with a fast, transactional database solution with a track record of reliability, unmatched scalability and five-nines (99.999%) or better availability. Oracle Berkeley DB is well suited to Independent Software Vendors, device and equipment manufacturers, and enterprises or software companies building solutions which need a data management component. The Oracle Berkeley DB family of products provides fast, local persistence with zero oversight administration.

Customers and end-users will experience an application that simply works, reliably manages data, scales under extreme load, and requires zero oversight in deployment. Your development team can focus on your application and be confident that Berkeley DB will manage your application’s data.

For more information on Oracle Berkeley DB, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Berkeley DB was previously known as Berkeley DB.

Oracle Berkeley DB Customers
Safe Water Kenya
Oracle Berkeley DB Video

Archived Oracle Berkeley DB Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user494169 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It helped us to develop a performance-critical DB backend module in the healthcare domain.

What is most valuable?

Transactional data store Concurrent data store

How has it helped my organization?

This product helped us to develop a performance-critical DB backend module in the healthcare domain.

What needs improvement?

Environment corruption is a common problem found when a DB environment is used by more than one process on a machine at a time. Another thing is that an entire page will be locked when updating a record. This will cause locking of other records on the same page. This can be improved a bit more.

I used it for two years, about nine years ago.

When multiple processes are holding handles to same environment, then there is a high possibility that the environment handles might get corrupted and the whole connection to various databases need to be recreated on the fly. This will also cause ongoing DB operations to get terminated. One solution to this problem is to design the DB access mechanism in such a way that only one process (we can call it a server process and it can be a COM server) is holding the database environment handle and all other client process should communicate with this server process to read/write DB records.

There was excellent support in the Oracle Berkeley DB forum. Also, we had an opportunity to talk to a Oracle Berkeley DB technical person in their Japan office.

We had a previous solution. Because of its proprietary nature and non-conformance to our performance requirements, we considered this product.

Initial steps were pretty straightforward.

We were an in-house team. Things such as database page size, locking model, etc. need to be carefully chosen and designed. A prototype development model would be highly effective.

Since I am a technical person, I don't know any good details about pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Because I was primarily concentrating on the performance side of this product, one will have to first benchmark their own performance requirements. Next, consider concurrency requirements. Then, evaluate how Berkeley DB can satisfy your performance and concurrency requirements using a prototype model of software development.
it_user496320 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Specialist Technology at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Directly dumping the XML, querying business attributes using Xquery and creating custom database runtime helped us.

What is most valuable?

Deployment (file-based database), and replication were life savers for my assignment.

How has it helped my organization?

The firm needed a database that could hold sizable volume, along with fast performance. We had many relational database options, but because the communication format of data was mostly FIXML, we really wanted to avoid changing the data shape. That is where dumping the XML directly, querying into business attribute using Xquery and creating custom database runtime helped us win big.

What needs improvement?

There have already been a lot of improvements since I last used the technology. However, I would be excited to see how the technology has developed into the area of blockchain.

Also, technical support is something they should improve.

I used for almost four years, from 2006-2010.

There were some mid-term small releases that caused database crashes, but this was later fixed.

I used technical support a few times, and found it responsive but turnaround time can be improved (6/10).

Oracle 10g XML was the closest to this product. However, open source along with opportunity to explore and add gave us the reasons to go ahead with this technology.

Initial setup was quite easy.

An in-house team implemented it. My advice is that you need to really learn this technology to use it better.

What other advice do I have?

We always had predictability, and by using a custom-built data service layer with plugins, it provided us a lot of scalability, fast turnaround for our fast-moving business requirement and huge data.

We were quite satisfied with the product. For 2006-era technology, Berkley DB XML was quite unique and state-of-the-art.

it_user488793 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Leader at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use key-value store. I'd like support for bulk retrieval of entries via their keys.

What is most valuable?

It is a relatively easy to use key-value store. As a NoSQL solution, it has been around for quite a while, and thus been thoroughly tried and tested. It provides ACID transactions, which is not very common in the NoSQL universe. Response times are relatively fast. It runs as an embedded DB within your application, so a server is not necessary.

What needs improvement?

We have experienced two limitations:

- Oracle BDB Java edition does not support bulk retrieval of entries via their keys. In situations where various entries need to be retrieved, individual calls by key need to be made, instead of just firing one request with all of the keys. There is the alternative of using a cursor, but the whole key set would need to be traversed.

- Memory usage becomes a problem when the number of entries stored within the key/value store are quite high (hundreds of millions).

5 years

We encountered issues with the amount of memory necessary to keep the keys of the key value store in memory. Running BDB as an embedded database means we need to closely manage the amount of memory used by the application. The more our database grew, the higher the amount of memory used up by BDB. This soon became an issue when half of the 16GB on our web service was used up to store the keys of the key value store. We resolved the issue by adopting Voldemort, which uses BDB under the hood.

We did evaluate other key-value stores, and opted to use BDB because of its stability and support.

Setting up BDB as an embedded database is not complicated. It does, however, require close attention be paid to the reference documentation to tweak the database to work optimally.

Our implementation of BDB was done in-house. Pay attention whilst setting up the transaction levels, and tweak the database settings to improve read/write performance.

What other advice do I have?

As a key/value store, Oracle BDB is simple to use, and it provides ACID transactions for companies that cannot afford eventual consistency. Oracle provides good documentation on the database, and when all else fails there is a community ready to help.