We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

NetBeans OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is NetBeans?
NetBeans IDE. The Smarter and Faster Way to Code. Quickly and easily develop desktop, mobile and web applications with Java, PHP, C/C++ and more. NetBeans IDE is FREE, open source, and has a worldwide community of users and developers.
NetBeans Customers
Weyco Group Inc.
NetBeans Video

Archived NetBeans Reviews (more than two years old)

Dragan Bjedov
Java Developer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Some of the valuable features are Java development, RCP ​support and support for various other languages.

What is our primary use case?

Java (SE, EE, JavaFx) and RCP development. I'm also developing plugins for NetBeans IDE.

How has it helped my organization?

It has sped up our Java development. Regarding using Eclipse before, creating GUI forms became much faster and as well as the maintenance of them.

What is most valuable?

• Java development support. (The Java editor is one of the best Java IMHO editors. Java projects support Ant and Maven.)
  • RCP support
  • GUI editor for Java windows
  • RCP support: An easy way to create your own app using NetBeans base. There is a lot of documentation for RCP creation.
  • Plugins can be easy created.

Also there is support for other languages as C/C++, HTLM5, Javascript, Groovy, PHP... There is a lot of plugins that can be easily installed.

What needs improvement?

The background scanning of projects should be optimized after starting NetBeans. When a lot of projects are opened, it takes a little too long for NetBeans to start up. I experienced this with more than 30 projects open. However, after loading projects, everything works normally.

More than five years.

The only issue with scalability is the startup speed.

I would give technical support a rating of an eight out of 10.

I previously used Eclipse. I switched to NetBeans because NetBeans has better project organization. There is no workspace and it has very good GUI builder.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It is free and can be used for commercial development.

What other advice do I have?

Use it and you will not regret your decision.

My company is only a customer. I personally develop some plugins for NetBeans and published them on NetBeans' site: http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/48312/?show=true.

Good stuff is now happening: NetBeans is moved to Apache. This will make a larger community and enabled growing NetBeans product.

First release of Apache NetBeans is close. See https://netbeans.apache.org/do...

Ronald Melendez
Consultor Senior Front-End Javascript at SOAINT
Leaderboard
Large number of easily integrated plugins improves development productivity
  • "When you have to develop in Java, this IDE is ideal because it has many plugins that make your life easier... For example, when working with Hibernate or with JPA, creating entities is very easy through a graphical interface."
  • "The learning curve is easy and fast because the interface is simple and intuitive, enabling us to easily train developers who are not expert in metrics."
  • "I would like there to be better integration with Git, as there are IDEs such as Eclipse that offer this integration in a much more elegant way than NetBeans."

What is our primary use case?

I have worked mainly on the front-end of Java-based applications, and NetBeans has worked really well, at least in projects with Maven structure.

How has it helped my organization?

When you have to develop in Java, this IDE is ideal because it has many plugins that make your life easier. I can also add dependencies easily.

Overall, for our company, it has been a good addition, as development times have been shortened using NetBeans

What is most valuable?

The download of the plugins is what I like the most since they can be easily integrated. For example, when working with Hibernate or with JPA, creating entities is very easy through a graphical interface. The plugins help to save time in development triple productivity.

NetBeans has several good integration tools. For me, it is the most effective IDE for working with Java.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like there to be better integration with Git, as there are IDEs such as Eclipse that offer this integration in a much more elegant way than NetBeans.

In general, Netbeans is a very stable and complete IDE and does not have much to change in an eventual update since the features it has are quite complete.

Three to five years.
Senior Software Developer at Sollers Consulting
The debugging mechanize could be improved, but it has helped us to increase our productivity and defect solving
  • "It is easy to deploy, manage servers, and ORMS resources."
  • "The debugging mechanize could be improved compared to IntelliJ, for example."

What is our primary use case?

I used NetBeans in developing Java web applications, mainly for JSF/PrimeFaces, because NetBeans is really good for component programming in Java.

How has it helped my organization?

NetBeans has helped us to increase our productivity and defect solving since the IDE is smart. It has many functionalities, like debugging, auto compile, and auto resource resolving.

What is most valuable?

Supporting of many applications servers, e.g., GlassFish and JBoss. It is just easy to integrate the application servers with NetBeans as well. It is easy to deploy, manage servers, and ORMS resources.

What needs improvement?

The debugging mechanize could be improved compared to IntelliJ, for example. The support of Groovy and Gradle can be improved compared to the other IDEs.

Less than one year.

I am currently using Intellij IDEA, because our company has asked us to use it.

it_user725928
Programmer and Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
Any slowness is detected by the tool and can be reported
  • "Large scale of projects, templates, and coding support."
  • "Background scanning of sources on demand, disallowed by Options (processor usage, build cannot be deleted by the old version build)."

What is most valuable?

• Free, quality, easy usage
  • Large scale of projects, templates, and coding support.
  • NetBeans Platform can be freely used as a desktop application base. All the functionality is prepared for me. I make only the business modules.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved organizational productivity.

What needs improvement?

Background scanning of sources on demand, disallowed by Options (processor usage, build cannot be deleted by the old version build). Angular2 plus its support.

Stability is OK. Any slowness is detected by NetBeans and can be reported.

It is OK.

It is OK. The community is OK and you can submit any issue.

I worked in text editors, JBuilder, Eclipse, built-in editor in SilverStream AS 2.x to 3.7 (Novell exteNd now), BlueJ and others. The Eclipse Platform, too.

Installing, setup and first usage are simple and easy.

None.

I use all accessible IDEs, free and natural to use. I have been interested in NetBeans and Eclipse Platforms. NB uses Swing and Eclipse SWT.

What other advice do I have?

I hope it stays free.

it_user728640
System Architect and NetBeans Dream Team Member at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
  • "One of the most important features is that Apache Maven supports it."
  • "One of main areas that the tool can improve is performance."

What is most valuable?

One of the most important features is that Apache Maven supports it. Basically, you can open any Maven project in IDE without any additional configuration.

How has it helped my organization?

For the user who chooses to use it, they can start to work on the company's projects as soon as the IDE is up and running. No additional configuration is needed, just checkout projects from the VCS server and open it.

What needs improvement?

One of main areas that the tool can improve is performance. As with any tool, there are some use cases for which improvements would be welcome.

I have been using NetBeans for about 14 years now.

It happens sometimes, but usually I have a very good experience with the IDE. Since version 4.x., I have experienced a huge improvement regarding stability and overall quality with no showstoppers and a few minor issues.

The tool works fine with a large set of projects, from big to small. Some types of huge projects could have some issues with some specific features, but they are the exception.

It is an open source project with good mailing lists and an active user base.

Yes, I did. I switched because I felt comfortable and productive using NetBeans.

One of the most important features is that it mostly doesn't depend on plugins or external tools to be useful. So no, usually the initial setup is very quick.

It is an open source and free tool, with no changes, and the licensing allows me even to change source code, if I need.

I have tried Eclipse IDE. It did not feel natural to me, so I came back to NetBeans.

What other advice do I have?

IDEs are tools and each developer should be able to choose any tool that fits them better. I recommend NetBeans because it is easy to use, open source, free of charge, and has really strong community. Support for technologies as Maven are really amazing and should be evaluated.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
​​Linux native makefile support and Simple setup are among the features I like
  • "C++ 11 support (for a long time)"
  • "Debugging: Watches, Evaluate Expression, and data inspection are limited."

What is most valuable?

• Linux native makefile support
  • Simple setup
  • Free
  • Multi-project support
  • C++ 11 support (for a long time)
  • Simple project configuration

How has it helped my organization?

I use Vim for all small code changes, but I prefer using IDE for the following operations:

• When I want to work on large new code, and to move/copy code from file to file more quickly.
  • Debugging.
  • Project configuration, compiler flags, linker settings, and library addition.

What needs improvement?

Debugging: Watches, Evaluate Expression, and data inspection are limited.

Memory: Still uses a lot of memory, and a little slow before starting a run or debug session.

UI: Some bugs (buttons are not the same, missing edit buttons in some dialog boxes, sometimes NetBeans touches the configurations.xml files without any user change in the UI).

Three years.

Yes. When exceptions occur, the IDE becomes less stable during the new running and I need to restart it to have an expected clean running again.

Yes. When exceptions occur, IDE becomes less stable on new runs and I need to restart it to get the expected clean runs.

No. We are working with a large number of small to medium C++ projects without any problems.

I did not use it. I used to send error reports but no more.

I used KDevelop for at least four years, Vim, and Notepad++ on a Samba drive in previous companies. In this company, we looked for a free Linux IDE that would give the best experience for old Windows developers coming from Visual Studio.

Setup is very simple and short. This is a big point. Integrating existing code/projects is also very simple.

It is free, which is great!

I am sad that CLion is not free. Currently, it has no support for Linux makefiles, only cmake, and this is a big mess.

Yes. KDE, Eclipse, and various free products.

What other advice do I have?

I think that each developer should find his own C++ IDE. It seems Eclipse is now supporting C++ very well. I just play with it and, in two minutes, import our projects. Download trials of several IDEs and test them. Check the release notes and the road map.

it_user715131
Full Stack Web Developer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Fully-loaded, Versatile Web Development, Product Needing Improvement in Scalability
  • "It comes out of package fully-loaded with a lot of great features for web development."
  • "t is a very heavy load on the computer, especially when you compare with Sublime Text Limited plugins and themes."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped my team develop better because of its versatility and functions.

What needs improvement?

It is a very heavy load on the computer, especially when you compare with Sublime Text Limited plugins and themes. The forum is terrible, so any issues, you are pretty much on your own.

Three years.

On a PC, always, but not really on a Mac.

Yes, the more you add, the slower the program gets.

As previously mentioned, the forum is useless.

I used several other options, this is the best so far in terms of general usability.

Incredibly straightforward, which is is one of the best parts of NetBeans. Its incredibly useful out of the box.

• WeBuilder
  • Notepad++
  • Aptana
  • JetBrains
  • Atom

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great option for web development.

it_user710499
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
since it is open source, you can just go ahead and contribute whatever you want to change yourself
  • "Server Support"
  • "There are always rooms for improvement for any product. The good thing with NetBeans is that since it is Open Source, you can just go ahead and contribute whatever you want to change yourself."

What is most valuable?

• Maven support
  • Developer Productivity
  • Server Support
  • Complete Tool Suite
  • Extensibility

How has it helped my organization?

Developer Productivity.

What needs improvement?

I've used this solution for 13 years.

NetBeans has an extremely large and vibrant community, which makes it easy to get support.

I used to use Eclipse but switched mainly because of the superior Maven support in NetBeans.

NetBeans is very simple to install. Just run a simple installer and you’re good to go. No additional configuration needed.

NetBeans is free and open source. It has been donated by Oracle to the Apache Foundation, and is currently in the Apache Incubator which will make it the only IDE in the Apache Foundation.

The only relevant competitor to NetBeans is IntelliJ IDEA from Jetbrains, but this is a commercial product and not free as NetBeans.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! You’ll never look back!

Product Categories