Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Micro Focus Silk Performer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus Silk Performer is #9 ranked solution in top Load Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus Silk Performer an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Micro Focus Silk Performer is most commonly compared to Apache JMeter: Micro Focus Silk Performer vs Apache JMeter. Micro Focus Silk Performer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 76% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the Load Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Micro Focus Silk Performer?

Test Asset reusability for performance monitoring
Silk Performer can considerably speed up testing cycles by allowing you to reuse your existing functional tests. Use Silk Test® or Selenium for performance testing and synthetic monitoring purposes as well.

Cloud in
Integrated scalability from the Cloud
Silk Performer load testing enables your applications for 'battle readiness' that can withstand massive, global usage. Easily simulate any size peak-load and avoid costly investments in stress testing hardware and setup.

Retina scan
Monitor user experience with advanced diagnostics
Detect, isolate, and resolve performance issues with effective end-to-end diagnostics. Design scripts to uncover errors from the user’s perspective and analyze results with easy to read visual reporting.

Monitor
A leading web support for load and stress testing
Validate performance of your most complex web applications and efficiently create comprehensive tests that reflect real world conditions and usage patterns.

Comprehensive mobile performance testing
Lower the cost and complexity of testing mobile web and mobile native applications at scale. Silk Performer provides a complete set of profiles for all popular mobile devices, application types, and connection speeds.

Micro Focus Silk Performer was previously known as Silk Performer.

Micro Focus Silk Performer Customers

University of Colorado, Medidata, Monash University

Micro Focus Silk Performer Video

Micro Focus Silk Performer Reviews

Principal Software Architect at OpenText
MSP
Scripting and basic test executions are good features; configuring the workload for tests is easy
  • "A good monitoring tool, simple to script and easy to configure."
  • "If you have a large amount of data, the solution can struggle."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use Silk Performer to test the web protocol. I'm the principal software architect and we are users of this product.

What is most valuable?

We haven't used Silk on any project where it hasn't been able to support whatever we have needed. There are other tools that can do certain things better, but if you're looking for a market all-rounder, I still prefer to use Silk. The scripting and basic test executions, as well as creating workloads for particular tests, are quite good features in Silk and we use them often. The Silk Performance analyzer provides a good monitoring tool, despite being a little dated. It's simple to script different scenarios, and it's easy to configure the workload for your tests. I think it's better than quite a few other tools that we have seen.

What needs improvement?

In terms of areas of improvement, I would say the Silk Performance Explorer tool, which is used for monitoring and analysis, can be improved because that's where we spend most of our time when we're analyzing the test data. Any enhancements that can be provided in the monitoring sphere would be useful. When you have a large amount of data the tool struggles with it and will sometimes crash, or there may be issues with too many metrics being collected when running a test. The interface for the scripting could be more feature-rich. Integration with tools like Prometheus or Grafana where we can visualize the data would be great. As things stand, we have to use one monitoring tool to visualize data and another for visualizing the test metrics. Integration would enable us to see the metrics from Silk and correlate that with the metrics from other servers or other processes we're monitoring. It would save having to look at Silk data and server metrics separately. It's the way things are going with newer tools. I think the solution is being phased out by Micro Focus and their emphasis is focused more on LoadRunner. We haven't seen much development in the last few years.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

Load Testing Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Apache, Tricentis and others in Load Testing Tools. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is generally stable. There are some areas where we've seen some memory leaks, especially when it comes to uploading files. There are workarounds available.

There are no scalability issues.

The customer service is fine, although there's always room for improvement.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is simple but it takes quite a bit of time. We have 15 users in the company.

I think the cost is on the higher side when compared to some of the newer tools. You can't really compare this with other tools because some of the newer ones are not as feature-rich and as easy to use for our needs. For simple API testing and testing microservices with many users, there are a lot of tools available for those kinds of scenarios, but for testing actual enterprise products, I don't think they are that helpful. I think Silk is better, and maybe that's why the license cost is a little high.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free Load Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Apache, Tricentis, and more!
Updated: September 2022