IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Mend OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mend is #3 ranked solution in top Software Composition Analysis (SCA) tools and #6 ranked solution in application security solutions. PeerSpot users give Mend an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Mend is most commonly compared to SonarQube: Mend vs SonarQube. Mend is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
Mend Buyer's Guide

Download the Mend Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Mend?

Mend, formerly known as WhiteSource, effortlessly secures what developers create. Mend uniquely removes the burden of application security, allowing development teams to deliver quality, secure code faster. With a proven track record of successfully meeting complex and large-scale application security needs, the world’s most demanding software developers rely on Mend. The company has more than 1,000 customers, including 25 percent of the Fortune 100, and manages Renovate, the open source automated dependency update project. For more information, visit www.mend.io.

Mend was previously known as WhiteSource.

Mend Customers

Microsoft, Autodesk, NCR, Forgerock, The Home Depot, Bosch, IBM, GE digital, KPMG, LivePerson, Jack Henry and Associates

Mend Video

Archived Mend Reviews (more than two years old)

DevOps CI/CD Team Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Technology-agnostic scanning facilitates security auditing, but the UI needs improvement
  • "The most valuable feature is the unified JAR to scan for all langs (wss-scanner jar)."
  • "The dashboard UI and UX are problematic."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for scanning NodeJS and Maven projects during the CI/CD processes. We have hundreds of scans per day for any project that runs on our CI and passes the release build.

This means that any release build runs the WhiteSource scan before deployment to production clusters, which ensures that we are pretty covered in terms of licenses for open source dependencies.

We are running on top of hundreds of microservices and thousands of daily builds, of which part of them are moving to production deployment eventually.

How has it helped my organization?

In general, we are covered for open source licensing issues and CVE errors on particular versions for open source dependencies. Moreover, we have covered ourselves for security auditing by stating that we are users of WhiteSource.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the unified JAR to scan for all langs (wss-scanner jar). It helps us to scan easily and is agnostic to the technology.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard UI and UX are problematic. This solution looks like a 1995 web site and it's very hard to understand what the issue is and why it failed.

Mend
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Mend. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using WhiteSource for almost five years.

The stability is great.

Our account manager is the best!

This is my first open-source scanning solution.

The setup was performed independently.

I didn't choose it but I saw a demo of Synk.

What other advice do I have?

Improve the UI please... developers cannot find themselves in this dashboard.

Private Cloud
Alon Michaeli - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder & CEO at Data+
Good reporting and trace analysis allows us to find and solve open-source concerns quickly
  • "Our dev team uses the fix suggestions feature to quickly find the best path for remediation."
  • "The UI can be slow once in a while, and we're not sure if it's because of the amount of data we have, or it is just a slow product, but it would be nice if it could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use WhiteSource mainly to:

1. Detect and automate vulnerability remediation. We started to research solutions since our dev teams are unable to meet sprint deadlines and keep track of product security. Most of our code scans are automated and integrated within our pipeline, which integrates with our CI server. With some, we run them manually using an agent. We recently started using the repository integration with Github, too, pre-build.
  2. License reporting and attribution reports. We use attribution reports and due diligence reports to asses risks associated with open-source licenses.

How has it helped my organization?

WhiteSource is very easy to run and use. It reduced significantly the time our developers used to spend on issues in open-source libraries. We used a free tool before and the number of alerts was too high to handle.

We recently implemented WhiteSource on our Github account.

It provides our developers with better visibility into open source libraries within their code environment, which helps the company in ensuring dev adoption.

When it comes to open-source licenses, it really simplified reporting as it provides an inventory list in a simple report. Before WhiteSource it was almost impossible, mostly due to transitive dependencies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are:

1. Fix suggestions. Our dev team uses the fix suggestions feature to quickly find the best path for remediation. Before that you would have to research online for fixes, and most of the time it’s not that straightforward.
  2. Trace analysis. Trace analysis enables our team to get the fix, including a clear path to the vulnerable method. This saves quite some time.
  3. Open-source inventory reports. These reports are easy to manage and provide a clear view of our open-source assets. There’s also an option to create policies around that.

What needs improvement?

The changes that we would like to see are mostly usability issues.

The UI can be slow once in a while, and we're not sure if it's because of the amount of data we have, or it is just a slow product, but it would be nice if it could be improved.

The UI is also too crowded. I believe that less information, or a different data summary, can be more readable. I know this is something they’re currently working on, but not sure where it stands.

Reporting could be easier, as it does not export filtered-down lists. It would be really valuable to add the ability to customize options in the reports.

We have been using WhiteSource for one and a half years.

Stable.

Didn't have any problems related to scale so far.

I can easily generate reports and get a quick overview of my status.

Yes, Snyk

Mend
July 2022
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1264290 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 11-50 employees
Good license and copyright information reporting, and integrates with Jira for ticketing
  • "The reporting capability gives us the option to generate an open-source license report in a single click, which gets all copyright and license information, including dependencies."
  • "It would be nice to have a better way to realize its full potential and translate it within the UI or during onboarding."

What is our primary use case?

We started using WhiteSource mainly to scan dependencies and detect open-source licenses, copyright information, and vulnerabilities.

We’ve managed to establish an integration with our CICD pipelines and use pretty much all of the automation that is offered, including automated policies.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to integrate the product naturally into our development process and it provided results really fast. You can easily use the unified agent and connect your CICD tools. It scans all of your source code quickly and it took us just a few minutes to run. The REST API is really good as well.

In the past, running similar tools or trying to get feedback on our open-source state was almost impossible.

Our primary goal was to get the license reports, but now we have a full end-to-end process that automates all license management, open-source license approval, rejection, ticket assignment, and more.

What is most valuable?

Our use case focuses on licenses, so the most valuable feature would probably be the license reports and policies, which is why we reached out in the first place.

The reporting capability gives us the option to generate an open-source license report in a single click, which gets all copyright and license information, including dependencies.

We use the Policies feature to approve or reject automatically open-source licenses, according to preset company policy.

With respect to ticketing, we use the JIRA integration to assign a problematic open-source library. It opens a ticket on our end and it is assigned automatically to the right owner. It saves a lot of hassle and simplifies the process internally.

What needs improvement?

We have been using WhiteSource for six months.

Given the different solutions in that space, WhiteSource was the best solution for our needs. We’ve found it was able to manage all dependencies, automate alerts, and provide us with easy and quick license reports, attribution and copyright information.

What other advice do I have?

I believe we’re still in a stage where we’re trying to gain all the benefits of the solution and understand what features can be maximized.

The product is simple on one hand as it's so easy to use, run and get insights from, but on the other hand, it offers so much that it’s hard to fully grasp all its capabilities.

I’m not sure I have the best knowledge so far to recommend features and capabilities since this is very new to us. Currently, we’re happy to have something that addresses our needs.

reviewer1261788 - PeerSpot reviewer
VP R&D at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Policy automation and automatic fix suggestions help us to save time in finding and solving problems
  • "With the fix suggestions feature, not only do you get the specific trace back to where the vulnerability is within your code, but you also get fix suggestions."
  • "The UI is not that friendly and you need to learn how to navigate easily."

What is our primary use case?

We use WhiteSource mainly to automate open source vulnerability detection and remediation, as well as for license compliance.

I’m less on the side of the license but mainly use the service to get control over vulnerabilities, detect the ones that affect us and remediate accordingly.

We integrate WhiteSource to our pipeline via CI server integration and now started using the GitHub integration too. We also run an agent in specific use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

WhiteSource improved our team’s ability to deal with vulnerabilities in a timely manner. Most of the time the alerts pile up and no one wants to deal with it, but the process now is much more simplified and convenient. It is still a task, but the service reduces the time spent on it significantly. It is very easy to use and the research decreased to almost none.

The GitHub integration provides us with the option to prevent security issues related to our open source libraries pre-build. It helped our teams discover vulnerabilities before usage, and fix issues within our existing environment and workflow.

What is most valuable?

The policy automation on effective vulnerabilities feature had a major impact on how we address open source vulnerabilities since it focuses on effective vulnerabilities and directs you to the specific methods. Other services will give a much larger list to remediate. I believe it cuts around 80% of alerts.

With the fix suggestions feature, not only do you get the specific trace back to where the vulnerability is within your code, but you also get fix suggestions. It sounds simple but I haven’t seen this capability with any other solution. This saves quite some time.

There are more small things within the UI that focus on giving the quickest remediation path, and I believe this is the WhiteSource’s strongest area.

What needs improvement?

The UI is not that friendly and you need to learn how to navigate easily. It also doesn’t run as smoothly as I would want or expect, and I believe it requires some improvements. That said, the Success team is very attentive and does reply and answer related matters quite fast.

Currently, effective vulnerabilities are only available in two languages, which is great, but I would be very happy to see more languages. It does cover most of our libraries, but we do have other languages in use. More coverage on that aspect would be helpful.

I have been using WhiteSource for one and a half years.

We evaluated a few tools before moving forward with WhiteSource, and I have used other free tools as well. Comparing WhiteSource to others, some are stronger in terms of stability and UI performance, but don’t provide as much value as WhiteSource (by far).

On the results side, the databases are updated regularly and the results are very accurate. We requested some libraries for review here and there, but nothing major. 99.9% of the time we have accurate and proactive data.

We started off slowly with WhiteSource and never experienced any issues around this topic.

That said, I’m not sure if it plays a part in the UI issues.

Technical support is the best I’ve ever worked with.

They really take seriously customers' requests (and we sent over quite a few), and always reach out to help us make the most out of the platform.

I have never received a late reply, and the CS has a really good relationship with the team.

We didn't use anything before, only manually.

The initial setup was quick and easy. The CS team and the documentation were very helpful. We kicked off in a few days and the integration went smoothly.

We’ve evaluated Snyk, also used their free version and free dependency checkers.

reviewer1257792 - PeerSpot reviewer
Co Founder at a consumer goods company with 11-50 employees
Provides full visibility and gives us peace of mind working with open-source libraries
  • "It gives us full visibility into what we're using, what needs to be updated, and what's vulnerable, which helps us make better decisions."
  • "WhiteSource Prioritize should be expanded to cover more than Java and JavaScript."

What is our primary use case?

We needed a tool to ensure that we are not using vulnerable libraries or open-source libraries with a copyleft license. We integrated WhiteSource with our repositories and CI server and set up automated policies to reject copyleft licensed libraries because our legal department doesn't allow them. We also have it open Jira issues automatically when a vulnerable library is detected and assign it to an engineer so we can shorten our response time to vulnerabilities detected in our applications. It integrates nicely with our existing workflow.

How has it helped my organization?

The best thing is that it changed the mindset of our developers. They are now more aware and proactive when it comes to the security risks in open source vulnerabilities and the need to update packages from time to time.

It gives us full visibility into what we're using, what needs to be updated, and what's vulnerable, which helps us make better decisions.

The WhiteSource prioritization feature provides us with the greatest value as it has cut down the number of security alerts by about 90%. It is only relevant for Java and JS for now, but we understand more is yet to come. This has saved us a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

WhiteSource is very accurate and covers all of our languages (including C++).

WhiteSource Prioritize is amazing. If we are using a vulnerable library, it shows us if we are actually using the vulnerable method or not. This saves us a lot of time that we can instead invest in other projects.

It also does a great job of automating many activities we used to do manually. Now the system does it for us and it generates a great security dashboard that shows us whether our remediation velocity is improving or not.

What needs improvement?

We are currently using WhiteSource Prioritize for Java and it cuts our vulnerability alerts by almost 90%. However, Prioritize doesn't cover python or other languages at this point and our developers are required to deal with many open source security alerts. The problem is that now our developers are aware that most open source security alerts are not impacting the security of their applications and it's harder to get their cooperation. We are waiting for WhiteSource to announce support ifor Python and other languages.

We have been using WhiteSource for almost a year.

From my experience, WhiteSource is pretty solid.

We had a problem with a new library that their engine didn't process. I wrote them an email and got a response within an hour. Two days later they added it to their system.

They provide accurate results and our customer success manager is great.

No complaints so far.

We tested Black Duck as well but detected quite a lot of false positives.

What other advice do I have?

The good thing is that their product just keeps getting better. They are very attentive to their customers.

All in all, if you care about security, this product is a must. We all love open source, but I was always afraid of the headache in handling all the licensing/updates/vulnerabilities. The peace of mind we have now is a total game-changer.

reviewer1255491 - PeerSpot reviewer
VP R&D at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy open-source vulnerability checking has streamlined our software security process
  • "For us, the most valuable tool was open-source licensing analysis."
  • "If anything, I would spend more time making this more user-friendly, better documenting the CLI, and adding more examples to help expand the current documentation."

What is our primary use case?

We use WhiteSource to monitor our open-source usage. Specifically to avoid legal issues with open-source licensing, which may deter potential buyers or investors. Additionally, we analysed the code for security vulnerabilities.

We found the effective vulnerabilities report very useful since it lowered the number of actual defects found in the product and saved us a lot of work. Our environment is made of micro-services running in Kubernetes using NodeJS and Typescript for the backend, and AngularJS for the frontend. We use MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, and ELK.

How has it helped my organization?

WhiteSource allowed us to minimize our exposure to open-source vulnerabilities with ease. Aside from identifying the out-dated or compromised packages really easily, it allows us to actually see which vulnerabilities are effectively relevant for us. In this case, it saved us *A LOT* of refactors and redesigns of code, which would have been considered vulnerable otherwise.

We integrated WhiteSource into our build system to ensure we keep our code secure and don't introduce new problems as we go. This allows us to have more predictability into the work process as security now becomes a constant work-in-progress instead of a major bulk of work every now and then.

What is most valuable?

For us, the most valuable tool was open-source licensing analysis. Although we don't use it on a weekly basis, when we needed to produce a reliable analysis of our open-source licensing exposure, we found it very very effective. Considering the alternatives, which were to analyse manually, WhiteSource saved us a ton of work that we really needed to complete in a short time. It would have involved finding all the different packages, be them in package.json files or analyse the docker images, and then find their effective license, which in itself is not a simple task.

What needs improvement?

The agent usage was not as smooth as the online experience. It lacks in terms of documentation and the errors and warnings it produces are not always very clear. We were able to get it up and running in a short while by getting help from support, which was very approachable and reliable.

I would also like to get better integration with Google Docs.

We have been using WhiteSource for a few months.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a great product.

reviewer1250700 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Productization Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good reporting capability but the support needs to be improved
  • "The most valuable features are the reporting, customizing libraries "In-house, White list, license selection", comparing the products/projects, and License & Copyright resolution."
  • "WhiteSource needs improvement in the scanning of the containers and images with distinguishing the layers."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for product inventory trace and 3PPs handling in aspect of License Compliance & Security.

I've been using both the UI & API.

How has it helped my organization?

At first, WhiteSource was great in regards to have a clear picture of what we use in our products.

Then later, we started having different issues with WhiteSource, especially in our containers/Docker images. The problem has not been resolved yet, even after many followups on this matter.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

WhiteSource needs improvement in the scanning of the containers and images with distinguishing the layers.

This solution needs better support and customer service.

I have been using WhiteSource for one year.

reviewer1250697 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Vulnerability and license alerts help us stay compliant with software releases
  • "Attribution and license due diligence reports help us with aggregating the necessary data that we, in turn, have to provide to satisfy the various licenses copyright and component usage disclosures in our software."
  • "Some detected libraries do not specify a location of where in the source they were matched from, which is something that should be enhanced to enable quicker troubleshooting."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for WhiteSource is security and license risk detection in open-source, third-party libraries and components. We run scans from multiple source control and build systems (TFS, ADO, Jenkins, ...). Some of our scans are automated, while others are done manually with the unified file agent in offline mode scan, and then the resulting "wsjson" file is uploaded to the WS SaaS portal.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved from Black Duck to WhiteSource as it was a more modern and scalable solution, with better integration support to various build and source environments. The ease of running scans and getting results quickly enables our developers to address issues quicker.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are:

1. The vulnerability and license alerts are the main purposes of us utilizing this tool. We don't want to ship software and mistakenly include a GPL component. Similarly, we want to stay up to date on all vulnerabilities in third-party libraries so we can take action if our software solutions are impacted.
  2. Implementing policies is helpful because it's great when certain "no-nos" can be codified as policies and auto-rejected.
  3. Attribution and license due diligence reports help us with aggregating the necessary data that we, in turn, have to provide to satisfy the various licenses copyright and component usage disclosures in our software.

What needs improvement?

Places in need of improvement are:

1. Some detected libraries do not specify a location of where in the source they were matched from, which is something that should be enhanced to enable quicker troubleshooting.
  2. Manual uploads of "wsjson" files can only be done by a global admin. Product administrators should be given this right for uploading files to their products/projects.
  3. Better support for proxies is needed when running the unified file agent behind a proxy. It can be made to work, but the Java proxy config and cert trust for MitM traffic inspection are very painful to set up.

We have been using WhiteSource for two years.

In our two years of usage, there has been a negligible amount of downtime. We have, however, experienced occasional issues with certain features of the offer that created some friction and grumblings from our devs using the portal, but those have typically been resolved fairly quickly.

This is a SaaS offering that has so far taken everything we have thrown at it (150+ products, with multiple projects in each). Certain reports that aggregate data globally could take a while to churn, but well within acceptable time-frames.

Responses are quick; TS works hard to resolve issues quickly.

Prior to this solution, we used Black Duck. As of two years ago, when we made the switch, WhiteSource's UI was more modern, the SaaS solution more scalable, and the integration capabilities far superior. The detection accuracy between the two was quite similar.

Setting up the tool for automated usage is very straightforward. Follow the documentation carefully and you will likely be fully up and running in between 15 and 60 mins.

We implemented this solution using our in-house team.

Pricing is competitive.

We also use NPM Audit and Snyk, but as an augmentation; not as competitors.

Daniel Hall - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Architect at Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
Helpful for compiling a list of our third-party libraries, but it needs a quality gate function
  • "The most valuable feature is the inventory, where it compiles a list of all of the third-party libraries that we have on our estate."
  • "We specifically use this solution within our CICD pipelines in Azure DevOps, and we would like to have a gate so that if the score falls below a certain value then we can block the pipeline from running."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for WhiteSource Bolt is to gain visibility over third-party libraries in order to perform vulnerability assessments and take care of licensing issues.

We are using this solution within our Microsoft Azure tenants. Essentially, we are using it in a private cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the inventory, where it compiles a list of all of the third-party libraries that we have on our estate. This helps us quite a bit.

What needs improvement?

We specifically use this solution within our CICD pipelines in Azure DevOps, and we would like to have a gate so that if the score falls below a certain value then we can block the pipeline from running. This would give us some sort of automated assurance. This is probably the feature that we'd most like to see.

We have been using this solution for about eight months.

Generally, the stability is pretty good. The only thing we have noticed in the past couple of weeks is that it's been quite slow at times. We are reaching out to them over the issue.

We haven't deployed it on a massive scale so we may not be able to judge the scalability. We run through perhaps ten deployments in a day, and we have not seen any issues.

We use this for anything that gets deployed, which is every pipeline that we run through our CICD.

I haven't needed to engage with technical support for this solution.

For this use case, we did not use another solution prior to this one.

Given that it is a cloud-based solution, it is really easy. The deployment takes a couple of minutes.

The version that we are using, WhiteSource Bolt, is a free integration with Azure DevOps.

We are still evaluating at the moment, and have not officially adopted WhiteSource as of yet.

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is researching this type of solution, my suggestion is to try them first. We tried quite a few of the various toolings available, and some of them are just not workable. They're very different on paper, so you have to use them to really compare them.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

it_user832698 - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Department for Software Engineering and Integration
Using it, we can take some measures to improve things, replace a library, or update a library which was too old
  • "The overall support that we receive is pretty good. ​"
  • "We find licenses together with WhiteSource which are associated with a certain library, then we get a classification of the license. This is with respect to criticality and vulnerability, so we could take action and improve some things, or replace a third-party library which seems to be too risky for us to use on legal grounds."
  • "We can take some measures to improve things, replace a library, or update a library which was too old or showed severe bugs."
  • "Make the product available in a very stable way for other web browsers."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to find all the third-party libraries and open source libraries which are hidden in the software, such that no third-party libraries are forgotten.

1. To get an overview of all these third-party components.
  2. To get some information from WhiteSource about which licenses are behind the third-party tool, and what implications these might have for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We find licenses together with WhiteSource which are associated with a certain library, then we get a classification of the license. This is with respect to criticality and vulnerability, so we could take action and improve some things, or replace a third-party library which seems to be too risky for us to use on legal grounds. Then, we can take some measures to improve things, replace a library, or update a library which was too old or showed severe bugs, etc.

What is most valuable?

Several dashboards. The licenses dashboard, which gives me an overview of all the licenses used in our software. For example, right at the moment, there are several hundreds of licenses used. The licenses dashboard and release management dashboard along with reports (like risk, vulnerabilities, high severity, bug alerts, etc.).

What needs improvement?

Every product has room for improvement, including WhiteSource. The stability of the product is web-based. We are obliged to use the Internet Explorer, and from time-to-time I get messages which tells me that I do not have the rights to use WhiteSource, which is obviously wrong. I also suggested it to WhiteSource, and they told me that WhiteSource only works reliably for Firefox and Chrome. This has some room for improvement for me. Make the product available in a very stable way for other web browsers.

From time to time, the dashboards don't display the full content that I expect. It seems that licenses are not shown nor are products are shown in full detail. I am just missing things at times. This might be due to the Internet Explorer issue, and if I am not using the right web browser, then maybe it does not work correctly.

From time-to-time, it seems in Internet Explorer, which we use here in our company, the product is not stable in all cases. I get wrong error messages, and it seems that WhiteSource does not display all the contents that should be there.

It is good enough. We can live with it in this situation. Though maybe it would be much better if we used Chrome or Firefox.

The picture that I have of it is that it is not yet a fully 100% stable software. This is the impression that I have. It is not 100% stable and reliable, but it is good enough that we can work with it.

We have only six software projects included right now. Altogether, we have several hundred third-party open source components. With this amount of objects displayed in the dashboards, it is working pretty well. I cannot say anything which goes beyond that amount.

From time-to-time, I have the impression that if it is a long list (e.g., if I have several hundreds of entries in a list), that this list might somehow get a little bit difficult to handle with the scroll bar in finding things. This could be improved, in regards to handling a lot of data. It seems a little bit limited.

We have tech calls with WhiteSource on a regular basis, about every four weeks.

The customer success manager, who is responsible for us, works with us pretty well. Every several weeks, we have a phone call, then we try to move one step forward to improve things, and so on.

The overall support that we receive is pretty good.

We did not use anything before WhiteSource.

It was not that easy, but easy enough to go ahead.

From time-to-time, we get some hints from the support on how to work with it. The dashboard is pretty good, so one can easily find things that they are looking for. However, the topic search, it is very complex and complicated to get a qualified picture of all these licenses. I know that there are online resources for us which we can take into account, but taking everything together, it still remains quite complicated for us to work with it.

Up until now, we were convinced that the return of investment was not really the case. However, we will see if maybe we get enough benefit out of the tool that we can argue internally that it is really worth using it.

When using WhiteSource, you cannot really be sure what the ROI is. It is an indication, a hint, that maybe you should look at these licenses or those licenses. However, maybe it has not found everything. Nobody can guarantee that we now have the complete picture. It is maybe an improved picture on all this third-party open-source stuff, but maybe it is also not the complete picture.

We are paying a lot of money to use WhiteSource. In our company, it is not easy to argue that it is worth the price.

We did evaluate another tool along with WhiteSource, but we decided to take WhiteSource. There was this other tool, Black Duck, but we decided to work with WhiteSource.

However, we have not fully evaluated this tool. It seemed too complicated for us, so at a certain point, we just decided to work with WhiteSource further on.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using WhiteSource to other companies if they are in a similar situation that we are. If they are having real problems in dealing with all these open source licenses, then it is a good approach to use WhiteSource and get a handle of the whole topic.

I do recommend it.

it_user790509 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables scanning of third-party libraries to ensure policy compliance but needs better role definition
  • "Enables scanning/collecting third-party libraries and classifying license types. In this way we ensure our third-party software policy is followed."
  • "Needs better ACL and more role definitions. This product could be used by large organisations and it definitely needs a better role/action model."

How has it helped my organization?

To prevent shipping commercial or GPL libraries, we scan our repositories.

What is most valuable?

Scanning/collecting third-party libraries and classifying license types. In this way we ensure our third-party software policy is followed and that we’re not using “forbidden” libraries.

What needs improvement?

Better ACL and more role definitions. This product could be used by large organisations but it definitely needs a better role/action model.

Right now (in my understanding) there are roles for WhiteSource Admin and Members and Product Admins and Members.

Here are some suggestions:

• When you create a new product “A” (for example)  then automatically create the user groups A-Admin, A-Members, A-Alerts and A-Approvers. In that way you just need to assign users.
  • Have a new role “Product Status Updates”,  because I don’t want all product admins to receive the status or to have all who get the status as product admins.
  • Have a new role “WhiteSource Status Updates” - I want to have different groups to be admins or to receive a status report.
  • Have a new role “Audit” to receive audits.

No issues, it's working really well.

No issues so far.

Eight out of 10. Always responsive.

We were using editors or Wiki to keep that information, but obviously it was not updated.

It wasn’t too complex because you have different options for integrating your repositories, from a simple directory scan to a complex plug-in. We decided to begin with the simplest one and adopt new integrations step by step.

Pricing / licensing model changed during last year so I don’t have an opinion here yet.

I evaluated Black Duck.

What other advice do I have?

It’s important to define guidelines and best practices regarding how to use the product internally; who defines what? Who accesses what?

Best way to integrate my GitHub repo, my Maven project, etc.

Patricia A. Johnson  - PeerSpot reviewer
Patricia A. Johnson Open Source Licensing and Security Expert at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees

Thanks for your comment! If you have any questions during your review process of WhiteSource's solution I would be happy to assist you.

Release Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Deployment is easy: In 30 minutes, your product is analysed and the results are available.

How has it helped my organization?

With WhiteSource, we have been able to automate the scan of our Open Source dependencies. Before, it was a 50% automated in-house solution.

What is most valuable?

• Open Source dependencies scan
  • Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) detection
  • Useful license and copyright reports.
  • Dashboards to manage the risk by product or by organisation.

We are using a lot of Open Source components to develop our products. WhiteSource is the perfect tool to manage the Open Source governance. All our continuous integration stack is using WhiteSource to scan our dependencies (Maven, NPM, Docker).

Next, we are integrating the WhiteSource reports in our products (in a legal-notices folder) to store all the copyright and licensing information. WhiteSource replaced a painful and complex in-house solution, now it's fully automated.

What needs improvement?

Notifications could be improved. Everything else is OK.

If one of our products is using a dependency with a black-listed license (LGPL, for example) we like to notify the developer who added this dependency. And we use the same notification if you try to use a component with no license or no copyright information.

No issues.

No issues.

A nine out of 10. They are really reactive when we have a question.

A nine out of 10. They are really reactive when we have a question.

We were using an in-house solution based on some Maven plugins. The process was not fully-automated. We were looking for a fully-automated solution.

Really straightforward. The first scan was ready in 30 minutes.

My team (release engineering) implemented WhiteSource for our company.

We are really happy to use WhiteSource. A lot of time has been saved and the results are more accurate.

The setup cost is cheap. For our company, we received a good price to manage unlimited products and versions.

We did a comparison with Black Duck, but WhiteSource was better at managing the Open Source stuff.

What other advice do I have?

We are a happy customer.