IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

MariaDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MariaDB is #3 ranked solution in top Open Source Databases and #7 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give MariaDB an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. MariaDB is most commonly compared to PostgreSQL: MariaDB vs PostgreSQL. MariaDB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 34% of all views.
MariaDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MariaDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is MariaDB?

MariaDB is an open source relational database created by the original founders of MySQL. It is considered one of the most popular and trusted database servers throughout the world. MariaDB is a valued component found in most cloud offerings and is the default in many Linux tools. It is also widely used by Wikipedia, WordPress, and Google, among other well-known sites. Maria DB easily melds data into concise information from a vast array of applications, such as banking, online shopping, websites, and more.

MariaDB was originally created to improve MySQL performance. It is the most widely chosen database server due to the solution being super fast, robust, user-friendly, and easily scalable. MariaDB also offers a substantial ecosystem of plugins, storage engines, and numerous other valuable tools that make it very attractive for a significant offering of use cases.

The solution’s newest functionalities include compatibility with Oracle Database and Temporal Data Tables, and advanced clustering with Galera Cluster 4, which make it easier for users to research data history from any point in the past. Additionally, the most recent versions include JSON and GIS features. MariaDB is committed to staying an open source solution.

MariaDB Features

• More storage: MariaDB works with more storage engines than MySQL and most other database servers available. Some storage options include, but are not limited to ARCHIVE, MERGE, CSV, MEMORY, BLACKHOLE, MyISAM, ColumnStore, MyRocks, and Cassandra.

• Super fast: MariaDB offers faster authentication checks. The FlushSSL permits SSL certificates to be reloaded without a server restart, resulting in huge time savings.

• Improved testing: MariaDB offers an extending testing suite that runs faster and can test more than ever before. Bugs can be easily fixed and invalid tests removed.

• Genuinely open source: Every code in MariaDB is GPL, LGPL, or BSD. Client libraries [for Windows (ODBC), Java (JDBC), or C] allow linking to closed source software. All fixed bug cases and development plans are completely public. MariaDB is a community-developed solution representing the true spirit of open source products.

Reviews from Real Users

Faustine C., Engineering Supervisor- Corporate Data Solutions and Services at TZ Telecoms Corporation, shares, “The software provides a lot of information on what is happening inside the database. For most performance parameters it is easy to know if something is not right in the configuration or optimization which helps engineers take remedial fine-tuning measures. For example, if the database is underperforming it is easy to know which performance parameter can be adjusted to handle the workload. It is difficult to troubleshoot database issues if many performance parameters can not be monitored or debugged which is the case with some database management systems. It provides great monitoring of data storage, processing, and performance stability which is really important for real-time data storage and processing. It's a user-friendly product.”

A PeerSpot user who is a Senior Engineer at a tech services company relates, “ The solution's high availability is its most valuable aspect. We have found the product to be stable and the initial setup is pretty simple. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. I'm very happy with it overall. I would recommend the solution to others. It's easy to find details about the product online and to learn about it.”

MariaDB Customers

Google, Wikipedia, Tencent, Verizon, DBS Bank, Deutsche Bank, Telefónica, Huatai Securities

Archived MariaDB Reviews (more than two years old)

Associate Vice President - Infra and Managed Hosting at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install, good documentation, and performs well
  • "From the user's perspective, the performance of the columnar queries is very good in terms of the database when comparing it to the Oracle, and MySQL."
  • "The scaling for database online transactions needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

My experience is not at the technical level, it's in the basic areas. My role regarding MariaDB is from the procurement and the technical deployment perspective.

The primary use case of MariaDB is for the payroll solution, for the Columnar queries, and for the general information query on the database.

What is most valuable?

From the user's perspective, the performance of the columnar queries is very good in terms of the database when comparing it to the Oracle, and MySQL.

What needs improvement?

The scaling for database online transactions needs improvement. Our users now are restoring the data. They should explore the performance of online transactions.

It's performing well and is meeting our expectations.

MariaDB
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about MariaDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The need for technical support is minimal because it is simple and you can do your own troubleshooting with the help of the documents that are available.

The deployment is simple, there are no conflicts.

We deployed MariaDB within a day.

To run a 24/7 operation we need at least five team members on the database administration side.

The licensing cost is approximately $4000.00 per year and the licensing is based on the software and the number of posts that you make.

MariaDB is the solution that was finalized when looking and comparing it with Oracle and MySQL. MariaDB has an advantage due to the columnar queries and data retrieval.

What other advice do I have?

If you require the use of columnar queries then you should be using MariaDB.

Our usage is very limited and we don't know all of the features and how they function.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten, as I have not yet explored all of the functions.

Chief Technology Officer at Feelway, Inc.
Database solution with good performance
  • "MariaDB can solve things better than MySQL. Maria DB has better performance than MySQL."
  • "I would like to see more compatibility going forward. This would help if there is a need to change databases."

What is our primary use case?

When I worked for Groupon in Korea, the main production database was MariaDB. We used it for eCommerce. It was a database where we stored data.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more compatibility going forward. This would help if there is a need to change databases. E.g., if I change from MySQL 5.7 to another database, then MySQL could be the master database and this could database could be the slave. The replication capability is very important.

Two years.

I have not contacted the technical support. We haven't needed it.

We have recently upgraded to change our database and our production database is now MySQL 5.7. If someone wants to use memory based data, then MySQL is better than MariaDB.

We are using MySQL but MariaDB can solve things better than MySQL. Maria DB has better performance than MySQL.

Sometimes Percona is better.

What other advice do I have?

MariaBD is good. It is almost perfect. I would recommend it.

I would rate this product as a nine (out of 10).

MariaDB
July 2022
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Yoga Arnindita - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of IT Planning and Development Division at BRILife
Good performance and good community support

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to develop with MariaDB.

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if I could specify multiple drives for the database storage. That is not supported by MariaDB. For example, in Microsoft SQL Server, you can have storage on multiple drives.

I have been using MariaDB since 2014, between five and six years ago.

MariaDB is very stable. We have used it with perhaps 40,000 concurrent users and it is never down.

The scalability is something that can be improved.

In my previous organization, we had five developers using it.

I have not been in contact with technical support because the performance is very good and we haven't had any problems that necessitated contacting them. The documentation and community support is very good, which is probably why we didn't have any significant problems.

I have also used Microsoft SQL Server.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment can be done in minutes.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend.

Technical Lead Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, easy to deploy for development, and works well for most use cases
  • "I would say that for most use cases it works fine."
  • "It's not very stable. It needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for merging reports, merging agents, and we have implemented for business intelligence.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is a database.

What needs improvement?

Performance with databases is always the same, we always want more.

Stability needs to be improved. If you are creating a class test, modern machinery or working with the databases, it's always a little bit difficult to configure and keep everything working.

The addition of a workbench for managing this solution would be an improvement.

Also, some kind of technical support to help in getting better performance.

We have been working with MariaDB for ten years.

It's not very stable. It needs improvement.

We have never used the technical support.

Previously we worked with MySQL.

The initial setup is straightforward for our development environment, but for our production environment, the requirements are more. There is more work to be done, such as indexing and similar things.

The deployment for the development environment takes only ten to fifteen minutes.

It's an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I am an IT engineer. I am always researching the best solutions for our clients.

I work mainly with open-source solutions, such as Liferay and WordPress.

Before this product was called MariaDB it was called MySQL.

I would say that for most use cases it works fine.

Before implementing you have to understand what your use case is for.

Other databases work better for different use cases. You have to ask yourself if you want to use a relational database or a NoSQL.

Senior Manager Global Database Services at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easy and fast to set up, and the replication feature is helpful
  • "The most valuable feature of MariaDB is the replication mode."
  • "Maria DB has to improve from a management perspective."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of MariaDB is the replication mode.

What needs improvement?

MariaDB has to improve from a management perspective. There is not much available for querying internal views to provide information for the operations team. Most other databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, or even PostgreSQL, have a big set of internal views that you can query to understand what is going on, if anything is wrong, or how to improve.

I have been using MariaDB for perhaps two years.

This is a very stable solution.

MariaDB is very scalable.

I have had the opportunity to speak with technical support and I am satisfied with the outcome.

The process of setting up MariaDB is very fast.

The price of this solution represents a very good compromise between the cost and what it offers.

What other advice do I have?

There are many valuable features in MariaDB.

MariaDB is a very good database when everything works fine, and I would recommend it. However, I work in operations and if something goes wrong there is no way to start an analysis because MariaDB doesn't provide many tools that help to understand the problem. In order to make this an enterprise tool, or an enterprise-level database, it needs to improve from this perspective. Otherwise, it will only be good for very small deployments.

AsiyeYigit - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at Gantek
Reseller
Easy to setup, User friendly, and helpful technical support
  • "This solution is user-friendly."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements in the scalability and redundancy features."

What is our primary use case?

We are not using MariaDB alone, it is being used with other applications such as ServiceNow.

We are focusing on the underlying database of ServiceNow.

We provide our customers with complete solutions that include implementation, support, and training.

Currently, our customers are on-premises and they have not yet considered this solution for on cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

This solution is user-friendly. It's easy, and similar to MySQL.

What needs improvement?

Some areas where this product could be improved are in the clustering technologies, redundancy, active-active deployment model, and also monitoring the backup and restore solution to the cloud.

They have made some enhancements on the product but I think that scalability and redundancies are a concern for the entire team. In the next release, I would like to see improvements in the scalability and redundancy features.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

It is not suitable for mission-critical applications, but it is stable for other applications.

We had a customer who was fronting MariaDB with ServiceNow and we were not able to help her with a specific situation. We contacted customer service technical support and they were very good. They were able to solve our issue in a short time.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward.

The deployment took a day.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers but we are willing to be partners with MariaDB.

Before starting with the implementation and deployment you should read the guide.

You should look at the suggested tips, tricks, clues, and the requirements to avoid having any problems.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Mmusi Kekonnwe - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Specialist Databases at Botswana Open University
A scalable open-source solution with the ability to deploy or store data that is accessed via the we
  • "The solution is very stable. It was originally built under MySQL. It has a similar level of stability."
  • "The interface should be more user-friendly. It should be able to connect directly to the database and Interact with it without having to use commands. It needs better integration."

What is most valuable?

The ability to deploy or store data that is accessed via the web is one of the solution's most valuable features.

The solution is also free to use.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be more user-friendly. It should be able to connect directly to the database and Interact with it without having to use commands. It needs better integration.

In future releases, it would be helpful if they could create an administration portal for the database to help manage it.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable. It was originally built under MySQL. It has a similar level of stability.

The solution is very scalable. We have about 230 employees using it on the intranet currently, and about 5,000 students on our eLearning system.

It's an open-source technology, so there is no technical support. If you have issues, you can look to the online community for help or guidance.

We previously used MySQL. We switched because MySQL is no longer open-source. It's now owned by Oracle.

The initial setup was easy.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

IT Director at a tech services company
It has given us better join algorithms, connect engines, and ColumnStore​.

What is most valuable?

It has given us better Join algorithms, Connect Engine, and ColumnStore. I can choose hash join algorithms in order to speed up joins on large tables. The connect engine is still a bit clunky, but it’s useful and fairly versatile. Column Store is a very valuable tool for analytics workload. I used InfiniDB in the past, but it was plagued with bugs. I am glad to see that MariaDB has finally turned it into a reliable solution.

How has it helped my organization?

As a drop-in replacement for MySQL, it fit in perfectly with our solutions developed for MySQL. It gave us some highly needed new features.

What needs improvement?

I would appreciate support for materialized views.

We have used this solution for about three years now, since I abandoned MySQL.

There were seldom any stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I never needed technical support. We have many skilled technicians in our company and we solve all issues internally.

I had been using MySQL since version 3.x. of MariaDB. This made sense because it was a drop-in replacement. Concerning ColumnStore, we have been using a Column-oriented database for many years, especially Vertica and InfiniDB. We are a HPE Partner, but InfiniDB/ColumnStore is a valid replacement when customers cannot, or do not want, to pay the heavy license cost.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Most of our customers will not consider MySQL/MariaDB if they need to pay for a license. Unfortunately, it is still an Oracle dominated market. Normally, the community version is well accepted because no license cost is involved.

We have worked, and still work based on customers’ requests, with most commercial and open source databases: Oracle DB, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and ECC.

What other advice do I have?

If you want a reliable, easy to maintain database solution, I think that MariaDB on RedHat/CentOS is an option that every DBA should consider.

Database Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enterprise integration is valuable but the audit and security aspects of integration need improvements.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • Enterprise integration
  • Documentation
  • Certification
  • Support

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to have an alternative solution to licensed DB's.

What needs improvement?

It requires enterprise integration improvements from the security, and audit perspective (AD integration etc.). Also, existing integration into BI tools is not present.

I've used it for three to four years.

They provide a high level of technical support.

We switched due to a common OS integration strategy.

We switched due to a common OS integration strategy.

Download our free MariaDB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022