IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Security zSecure OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is IBM Security zSecure?

IBM Security zSecure V2.1.1 suite consists of multiple individual products designed to help you administer your mainframe security, monitor for threats, enforce policy compliance, audit usage and configurations, and assist in compliance management and audit reporting.

IBM Security zSecure Admin, IBM Security zSecure Visual, and IBM Security zSecure CICS Toolkit together provide administrative, provisioning, and management components that can significantly reduce administration time, effort, and costs, and help improve productivity and response time, as well as help reduce training time for new administrators.

IBM Security zSecure Audit, IBM Security zSecure Alert, and IBM Security zSecure Command Verifier together provide security policy enforcement, audit, monitoring, and compliance management capability. These offerings help ease the burden of compliance audits, help reduce the time and costs of performing compliance and monitoring, can improve security and incident handling, and can increase overall operational effectiveness.

IBM Security zSecure Adapters for QRadar SIEM V2.1.1, new to the suite, collects, formats, and sends enriched mainframe System Management Facility (SMF) audit records to IBM Security QRadar SIEM to be included in the enterprise-wide integrated security information and event management (SIEM), log management, anomaly detection, incident forensics, and configuration and vulnerability management.

IBM Security zSecure Customers

Swiss Re

IBM Security zSecure Video

Archived IBM Security zSecure Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user635553 - PeerSpot reviewer
Mainframe Systems Programmer with 51-200 employees
Provides administration of the RACF database. We can identify and remove old security database records.

What is most valuable?

The zSecure Admin provides us with a much more user-friendly administration of the RACF database. TopSecret and ACF2 are also supported (if they were ordered). The Database Cleanup utility feature: Used for identifying and removing old security database records that are no longer relevant or being used.

How has it helped my organization?

Simplifies browsing and working with the RACF database. You no longer need to search for records. With the zSecure Admin, you can browse and change security records in the security database. Lots of our customers have old security databases with lots of old/no longer needed security records. These can be identified and then deleted. Helps in reducing the complexity of a security database and in strengthening overall security

What needs improvement?

The reporting feature needs to improve. It would be nice to have more control of the output formatting. Sometimes the customers want a specific layout of reports, which is not always possible.

I have been using this solution since 2008.

It is a pretty stable product.

There were no scalability issues.

Creating a standard IBM PMR is good enough, but it is not that great.

It was straightforward for the z/OS software installation.

You should only order the needed features.

What other advice do I have?

Install and use the RACF offline component in order to test bigger changes for the security database.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an IBM business partner.
it_user620589 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Architect Z/OS at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Leaderboard
Enables audits for rules and checks on databases.

What is most valuable?

All the features are valuable. These are the most valuable:

• Audits for rules
  • Checks on databases

How has it helped my organization?

• Automates and simplifies management tasks
  • Simplifies the management of multiple RACF databases: Integrates them quickly and efficiently

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in the certification (SSL). It must be less complicated.

It has been in use for over ten years.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had any scalability issues.

Technical support is optimal.

I used CA Top Secret.

I do not have any recommendations.

We did not consider any alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

This product is suitable for:

• Environments with many accounts that manage applications that interface with z/OS
  • Web environments that require security (banks, insurance groups, financial)
it_user622746 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Mainframe Security Engineer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Generates reports and has a common interface for the security administrators.

What is most valuable?

• Restoring the deleted object functionality (RA.4 – Recreate user/grp/ds/RES)
  • The RACF database reporting feature: Is customizable through the CARLa programing language
  • Event reporting from SMF

How has it helped my organization?

The productivity and consistency in our organization has been improved by:

• The ability to easily generate reports
  • A common interface for the security administrators

What needs improvement?

There should be more supplied reports and CARLa samples.

I have used this tool for over ten years.

There were no stability issues.

We did not experience any scalability issues.

I would give the technical support a rating of 9/10.

The setup was relatively straightforward. It was basically a standard implementation and an intuitive setup process.

Be aware as IBM Security zSecure has separately licensed products such as:

• Admin
  • Audit
  • Alert
  • Command Verifier
  • Visual
  • CICS Toolkit

Make sure you know what components you actually need.

What other advice do I have?

Invest the time and effort necessary to educate users so they can get the full potential out of the product.