IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Rational ClearCase OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational ClearCase is #4 ranked solution in top Software Configuration Management tools and #7 ranked solution in top Version Control tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Rational ClearCase an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. IBM Rational ClearCase is most commonly compared to IBM Rational ClearQuest: IBM Rational ClearCase vs IBM Rational ClearQuest. IBM Rational ClearCase is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a manufacturing company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Software Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM Rational ClearCase?

IBM Rational ClearCase is an enterprise-grade configuration management system that provides controlled access to software assets, including requirements, design documents, models, test plans and test results. It be can be integrated with other IBM solutions, including IBM Rational Team Concert, IBM Rational ClearQuest, IBM Rational Asset Manager and IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software.

IBM Rational ClearCase was previously known as Rational ClearCase.

IBM Rational ClearCase Customers

Atos SE, FEI, STM

IBM Rational ClearCase Video

Archived IBM Rational ClearCase Reviews (more than two years old)

CEO at DrAlex Software
Great software version control tool, will it fly again?

What is most valuable?

Rational ClearCase is a tool for software configuration management (SCM). Once it hit the market in early 1990s, it was a revolutionary tool. One of the most remarkable features were dynamic views, which enabled viewing different versions of a product without downloading the files to the developer's computer.

Since then, ClearCase powers software development in many large- and medium-size enterprises. However, since IBM purchased Rational in 2003, development of new features slowed down, and the new generation of developers switched to new tools, like Git.

Recently, IBM entered into a partnership with HCL, which hopefully will bring about development of new ClearCase features. Let's wait and see...

How has it helped my organization?

Before ClearCase, there was essentially no configuration management, and a developer often did not know which version of the product was most recent, what was delivered to what client and on what version were his colleagues working.

Imagine a group of programmers that write some software, delivers it to a customer and then continues to develop new features. All of the sudden the customer reports a bug. What do you do? How do you find the version delivered to him? Your software is already changed but the development of the new release is not yet completed.

OK, responsible team leaders used to do some manual management, like keeping each version of the software in a separate folder. But it was very inconvenient.

For example, if I fixed a bug in an old version, there was no easy way to apply that solution to the new development (which quite probably, it had inherited that bug).

Therefore when we started using ClearCase, it was like a miracle. It saved all versions of your software, it let you tag releases, it gave tools for parallel development and much more.

I have used it for 19 years.

We have not encountered any special deployment issues.

Software Configuration Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Broadcom, Perforce and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: July 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is mediocre.

Technical support is mediocre.

There was no previous solution.

The setup is complex.

An in-house team implemented it.

In retrospect, ROI was great.

20 years ago, it was the only real game in town.

it_user602280 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user602280Consultant at a tech company with 51-200 employees
User

I'm still waiting for a dynamic SCM solution to migrate from ClearCase.
In my option, ClearCase is still the best version control system for large distributed projects.
ClearCase Dynamic Views can be used in large projects without a necessity of a pesky continuous pull - push actions :( -- GIT is terrible to use!
Our company is working successfully with ClearCase since 1995.

it_user541413 - PeerSpot reviewer
ClearCase and engineering tools administrator at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
I appreciate the MultiSite feature.

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate the MultiSite feature. It is important to us due to the global nature of our company. My team supports developers using ClearCase in at least ten locations world-wide.

How has it helped my organization?

For years, it was the only solution for a global organization.

What needs improvement?

Platform support could be improved.

I have used it for 16 years as a tools administrator and as an SCM in-house consultant.

From time to time, we have some stability pains. In general, it works fine for what it does.

Given enough horsepower and the infrastructure, due to how it works, we have not encountered any scalability issues as such.

However, performance seems to have slipped somewhat, as features are added between versions. This is typical application bloat, I suppose.

IBM's support of ClearCase is slipping. As they move to newer solutions, they are often stretched thin. However, they have some really good people.

My team, at the time, used TrueChange.

Other teams used other tools, like SVN and Perforce.

ClearCase was the global tool in Motorola when they bought our company, so multi-sited teams switched over, for the most part.

• Setting up and supporting a ClearCase installation requires experience. Since it works so closely with the O/S, system administration knowledge is needed.
  • I would insist on IBM training or close coaching for a new tool admin.
  • ClearCase should be a site based solution, and not a project based solution.
  • It should have one team to support the backend (servers and backups). In this way, the development teams can focus on how they use it, instead of how it works.

ClearCase is not cheap. However, it has global support behind it. Generally, once you have "enough" floating licenses, you can support far more developers than you have licenses for, especially if you set up global license servers.

At my site, at the time, 60 licenses were more than enough for over 200 users.

Our usage goes back almost twenty years, so this question is probably not relevant anymore. The company that bought us was heavily vested in ClearCase, so that is what we did.

What other advice do I have?

Examine your needs. Once you decide to go with it, get training before setting up the infrastructure (servers, storage).

Software Configuration Management
July 2022
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user5838 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager of Infrastructure at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Allowed us to set a centralized guideline for our development teams. The UI and performance need improvement.

What is most valuable?

Our organization has loose guidelines, which are interpreted and enforced in varying levels across business units and technology initiatives. The features allowed us to:

• Meet requirements for SOX
  • Set a centralized guideline for our development teams

How has it helped my organization?

It enabled traceability where we needed to meet regulatory compliance.

What needs improvement?

• UI
  • Performance
  • Global availability

I have not had any stability issues.

I have not had any scalability issues.

Technical support is OK.

We used SVN and SourceSafe. We switched for compliance reasons.

The setup was straightforward.

Go with a SaaS if you're able and use a vendor like CloudOne.

At the time, there were open source and Microsoft options.

What other advice do I have?

Look for a more modern product. Your suppliers and developers will be happier.