IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Rational ClearCase OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational ClearCase is #4 ranked solution in top Software Configuration Management tools and #7 ranked solution in top Version Control tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Rational ClearCase an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. IBM Rational ClearCase is most commonly compared to IBM Rational ClearQuest: IBM Rational ClearCase vs IBM Rational ClearQuest. IBM Rational ClearCase is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a manufacturing company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Software Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM Rational ClearCase?

IBM Rational ClearCase is an enterprise-grade configuration management system that provides controlled access to software assets, including requirements, design documents, models, test plans and test results. It be can be integrated with other IBM solutions, including IBM Rational Team Concert, IBM Rational ClearQuest, IBM Rational Asset Manager and IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software.

IBM Rational ClearCase was previously known as Rational ClearCase.

IBM Rational ClearCase Customers

Atos SE, FEI, STM

IBM Rational ClearCase Video

IBM Rational ClearCase Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Rational ClearCase pricing:
"This is a very expensive product."

IBM Rational ClearCase Reviews

Chief Software Engineer at a educational organization with 1-10 employees
Highly reliable, easy to use, and it integrates well with other engineering tools

What is our primary use case?

In my company, we are using this product for code management. It is used to control system software development.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is that it is very stable. In ten years, it has not crashed.

The interface is easy to use.

ClearCase integrates well with other engineering tools and frameworks such as the Eclipse environment.

What needs improvement?

This is an expensive product and the price could be reduced.

The protection needs to be improved.

I started using IBM Rational ClearCase about 10 years ago.

Software Configuration Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Broadcom, Perforce and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: July 2022.
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is very good.

This is a scalable solution. We have been 15 and 30 engineers using it.

The technical support is helpful.

The installation and setup are easy and straightforward. It took about half an hour to deploy.

I deployed it on my own and we don't need to perform any maintenance.

This is a very expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it to others, as long as the company has the money.

Daniel Antonio Jimenez Quintana - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Systems Architect at Banco Ripley
Difficult to use, not efficient, but stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM Rational ClearCase in Peru at two large banks for a code repository. However, it is not meant to be used as a repository.

What needs improvement?

I have found it very difficult to understand many functionalities in IBM Rational ClearCase. We have had many problems and it is not user-friendly.

I have used IBM Rational ClearCase within 12 months.

IBM Rational ClearCase is a stable solution. I have not had any difficulty with reliability.

The scalability of IBM Rational ClearCase is not easy.

I have previously used Bitbucket which was a better solution than IBM Rational ClearCase.Additionally, I have used Harvest and it is an older solution but easier to use, efficient, and simple.

IBM Rational ClearCase was difficult to do the proof of concept. It took us approximately 20 steps to develop it at the bank branch. In other solutions, such as Harvest, I only need to click the mouse once. The whole implementation was difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I did not find this solution to be very good. It is not the worse solution but there are others available.

I rate IBM Rational ClearCase a five out of ten.

Download our free Software Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Broadcom, Perforce, and more!
Updated: July 2022