IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment is the #21 ranked solution in top Vulnerability Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment an average rating of 5.0 out of 10. IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment is most commonly compared to Tenable Nessus: IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment vs Tenable Nessus. IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Vulnerability Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment?

IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment scans data infrastructures (databases, data warehouses and big data environments) to detect vulnerabilities, and suggests remedial actions. The solution identifies exposures such as missing patches, weak passwords, unauthorized changes and misconfigured privileges.

IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment Video

Archived IBM Guardium Vulnerability Assessment Reviews (more than two years old)

Olufemi Adalemo - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technology Officer at Leystel Nigeria Limited
Reseller
Performs well and provides clear, concise instructions to repair vulnerabilities that it identifies
  • "The most valuable feature is that it provides a simple English recommendation on actions that you need to take once a vulnerability is discovered."
  • "The interface could be improved by having sub-groups of tests, ultimately making the process of collecting tests faster."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the systems that I deploy for our customers. It is used to test systems for security vulnerabilities.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it provides a simple English recommendation on actions that you need to take once a vulnerability is discovered. It provides very clear and concise instructions on the steps that you need to take to remediate the vulnerabilities that are found.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved by having sub-groups of tests, ultimately making the process of collecting tests faster. As it is now, the test list is fairly long.

I have been working with Guardium Vulnerability Assessment for about ten years.

Vulnerability Management
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Tenable Network Security, Qualys and others in Vulnerability Management. Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have not experienced any issues with stability.

Scalability has not been a problem.

I have no complaints about the technical support. There is a large amount of documentation available for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Gilbert-Kabugi - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company
Good reporting, integrates well, and vulnerability assessments can be performed quickly
  • "The reporting features are good and there are many built-in reports that can be quickly configured."
  • "Building policies is not that easy. There are some things that are turned off by default, for example, displaying values."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers, we don't use it internally.

Where it is mostly being used is for enterprise clients, because they need to comply with all of the requirements, they need increased security and visibility.

It's popular with enterprise clients who are more mature in their security implementations.

What is most valuable?

The interface is quite good, compared to what it used to be.

The reporting features are good and there are many built-in reports that can be quickly configured.

The integration is very good. It is easy to integrate with LDAP allowing multiple users to use it.

The best feature is that you can see the activity in your data environment and have the ability to get the vulnerability assessments done quickly with scores that can be compared. You can then do some remediation to see the next score, so you can improve on your security posture.

What needs improvement?

The only problem is that some of the reports come up with blanks and missing data. In this area, it's a challenge, especially when there is a lot of traffic on the servers that you are trying to monitor. Sometimes the reports come out with question marks.

Building policies is not that easy. Some things are turned off by default, for example, displaying values. Maybe it's a good security feature, but sometimes the user finds it frustrating because they are expecting to see the result set.

The biggest challenge is in building policies because you have to involve users and stakeholders.

When you are training a user, there is a disconnect with the classroom-lead IBM training. The training is intensive. For five days you are hammered, but when it comes to doing it, it's a different understanding, so users find it difficult.

Pricing could be improved. Small firms shy away from IBM because of the pricing.

In the next release, I would like to see some third party support. A different way the developers can build the entire application. We would like to see more applications added. It is called IBM Security Exchange, so this is where you find that IT is going to develop some apps that can be run on Guardium. If you go to IBM QRader or SIEM for example, they have many applications that you can add to your existing deployment that are the same for Guardium.

I started with this product when they were still in version eight and now it's in version 11. I have a few years of experience.

I have been using this product since 2012.

It's relatively stable, but if you run into support issues, you have to wait for support to log in for you and fix it.

This solution is scalable, but the section that is not straightforward is when you have to add another node or connector. At times there are no hard limits. When you have a different connector, you don't know how much traffic it will take before you need to add another one.

I would rate the support a seven because most of the time they sort out the issues.

You have to be on-site for them to be able to fix issues because they have to go through remotely.

The service is quite good.

In regards to the installation, it's quite easy.

The pricing is expensive. Sometimes when we proposition a client, due to the pricing they end up with competitors such as Imperva.

What other advice do I have?

When trying to implement this product, it is better to have a dedicated IT resource to run with. Most organizations just re-assign the monitoring activities to other members of their team who are doing other things. They need dedicated resources for this tool.

This is a good solid product.

I would recommend this product.

Download our free Vulnerability Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Tenable Network Security, Qualys, and more!
Updated: November 2022