IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Gemalto Protiva OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Authentication Systems Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Gemalto Protiva?
Protiva is a strong authentication platform that was developed to incorporate the strengths of Gemalto's smart card technology. It consists of a family of smart card-based user authentication devices, a browser plug-in, an authentication and customer care server and a self-service user care portal.

Gemalto Protiva was previously known as Protiva.

Gemalto Protiva Customers
Exostar, Sunrise Health Region, Baker Tilly, Seattle Children's, SEW-Eurodrive
Gemalto Protiva Video

Archived Gemalto Protiva Reviews (more than two years old)

RAS Team Lead at Produban
A cost-effective solution, but the user interface lacks the ability to customize
  • "The most valuable feature for us is the ability to use Active Directory groups as virtual containers instead of domains because it means that we can control our access groups better."
  • "The user interface needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs improvement. It's ok to a point, but it's not really super user-friendly. It is not obvious where things are; while the cosmetics are ok, the way it's laid out on the screen could be better.

The user interface needs to be more customizable.

The solution is lacking in terms of flexibility.

Five years.

We have had no issues in terms of stability. It is good. In fact, we never really had any significant problems with the application. Any issues we have had have been on the actual hardware that it sits on.

Authentication Systems
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Thales Cloud Security, Cisco, OneSpan and others in Authentication Systems. Updated: July 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In the UK, I think that we are one of the biggest utilizers of the service. With the restrictions that it has, I don't think it's got massive upscalability. For general users it is fine, but the scalability could be better.

We started with approximately eight and a half thousand users, and we currently have about twelve-thousand people using it. This is used widely across a number of user groups, including administrators, end users, general users, and specific privileged users for two-factor authentication.

We do plan to increase the usage of this solution. Our current capacity is fourteen thousand but we will probably grow beyond that.

From the perspective of generalized support, they are perfect. Obviously, with any company, there are specifics in terms of using the solution. We had to run around a little bit because of things that are specific to our environment. Generally, we have no issues at all.

Prior to this solution, we used an older version, BlackShield. It was out of date.

From an out-of-the-box perspective, it is straightforward. It doesn't have a massive amount of flexibility for specific situations but for an out-of-the-box solution, it's fine.

Our deployment took place over approximately eight months. Because the customizability is limited, we had to adapt our data to make it fit.

We performed the implementation using a combination of in-house expertise and an integrator. The support and the help from our integrator was excellent.

This is a cost-effective solution compared to some other products out there.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for others who are implementing this solution is to know what the requirements are first because there are limitations.

In terms of usability and functionality, I would rate this product a seven out of ten. There are products out there that offer more but they are more expensive. In terms of pricing, I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Overall, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

it_user190446 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Product Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Strong authentication permits our organization to improve security.

What is most valuable?

Protiva is a suite of security tools (hardware and software) that permit you to implement the strong authentication based on OTP (One Time Password), Smart card with digital certificate and Biometric authentication.

The most valuable feature, for me, is the full Microsoft native support and the possibility to integrate the Smart-card Authentication (based on digital certificate) in many authentication mechanisms like Domain log-on, VPN log-on, Custom Application with Secure Digital Key, digital signature, etc. – the integration has been very easy.

The Gemalto Protiva suite is really complete as it has smart card managed software, Secure Digital Key, drivers, smart card reader, smart card, OTP readers etc. If you looking for strong authentication, Gemalto can help you.

How has it helped my organization?

Strong authentication permits our organization to improve security.

For four years.

No, it was very easy to introduce the strong authentication in our domain.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Gemalto Technical support is very professional and very quick in giving you a good answer and solving any issues that you encounter with their devices or software.

No previous solution was used.

The initial setup was very easy, we have deployed the smart card reader driver on all machines by using our software distribution platform. We have configured properly the Microsoft certification authority to auto enroll the user certificates and then the users are ready to use their smart-cards.

We implemented it in-house.

It is not easy to calculate the ROI when you implement a security solution. However, the value of the solution is high because our data and communications are very important to us.

Approximately €8,000 in a company with 100 employees - the cost covers the smart-card, the smart-reader, .net and implementation costs.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Gemalto is one of the leader of the strong authentication solution so it’s a good choice if you need to integrate in your business process the strong authentication.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We were the Gemalto Italian Distributor until 2011.