Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

FrameMaker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is FrameMaker?
Adobe FrameMaker is a complete solution for bidirectional technical content. Publish natively across channels, mobile devices and formats and author with best-in-class XML/DITA support. Collaborate seamlessly with experts, and manage content using integration with leading CMSs.
FrameMaker Customers
HaCon Ingenieurgesellschaft, ANA (All Nippon Airways Co. Ltd.), IBM, Marcia Riefer Johnston, Novell, AFNOR Publishing
FrameMaker Video

Archived FrameMaker Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user432606 - PeerSpot reviewer
Documentation Department Manager with 10,001+ employees
MSP

What is most valuable?

The valuable features for us are format control and professional and clear output. The variables and conditional text feature are very useful too.

How has it helped my organization?

At the very beginning, we used to copy and edit source files for different versions of our software. Now we maintain only one source file for different versions.

What needs improvement?

There should be some training for Chinese customers. This is maybe because only a few Chinese documentation engineers are using FrameMaker, so it is difficult to find solutions through the Internet and there is little training about FrameMaker.

Most of the features of FrameMaker are not used because we don't know how to use them. I think Adobe should provide more training for Chinese customers.

We have been using the product for ten years.

We had some stability issues and it was often corrupted before we installed some patches.

We didn't experience any scalability issues.

The technical support can be rated as rather low.

We used MS Office Word at first and switched to FrameMaker to reduce workload and make our manuals more professional.

The installation was straightforward because I used a low version, so I had to install a FrameMaker PDF add-on first and then replace it with a higher version PDF.

FrameMaker is a professional product to use but has a high price.

We didn't consider any alternative products. Partners advised us to use FrameMaker instead of MS Office Word.

What other advice do I have?

Tell your requirements to the vendor and get customized training if you buy FrameMaker.

PatrickCiPaaS - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager at SnapLogic
Leaderboard
A staple of most technical writers, and encourages innovation to keep up with a high volume of output.

Valuable Features:

Most Technical Writers have had experience using FrameMaker as the backbone of their writing shops and find it a little cumbersome. However after a little ramping up, most get used to it and often uncover some very cool features that you can use when you have to manage large volumes of multiple documents with single source content and chapter and book modularity. FrameMaker integrates pretty well with other Adobe products (and it should!). You can also easily generate decent web output with it's integration with WebWorks Automap and ePublisher.

Room for Improvement:

One thing that bugs me about FrameMaker is that when you are dealing with large files, it sometimes hangs and can seize up your local PC or VM resources. Make sure you have a beefy machine running the app if you plan on generating and working with files over several MBs.

Other Advice:

FrameMaker also has a scripting component that works pretty well and you can automate the update of books and generation of output very easily. You can have jobs running in the background while doing other tasks and set off "builds" after hours to save on resources.
it_user1068 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user1068Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 51-200 employees

I no longer use this program but when I did, I loved everything about it. I would use it again if need be. Due to the fact that it is heavy, I always gave it time to execute and process commands; that is how I managed and avoided hangups of the process and system. In case it hanged up, it took just a short time. Moreover, it is a good option for a writer or content developer with so many articles or pages to work on.

Product Categories