Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

FortiCache [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the WAN Optimization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is FortiCache [EOL]?

Today’s bandwidth requirements are out of control, consuming capacity as soon as it’s available. As users shift to mobile access and the volume of interactive and video content dramatically increases, it seems hard to keep up without adding a lot of expensive bandwidth. However, by reducing bandwidth demands and optimizing and accelerating the network, FortiCache caching appliances let you keep up with explosive bandwidth demand while delivering higher quality of service.

FortiCache [EOL] Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

FortiCache [EOL] Video

Archived FortiCache [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

Akande Akinlabi - PeerSpot reviewer
Information System Engineer at Radial Circle
Offers good traffic monitoring but they should offer better subscription policies
  • "I like the traffic monitoring because it meets the firewall protocols."
  • "It should be set up more specifically so that I only pay for what I want."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have as anti-spam, anti-malware, and for traffic monitoring.

What is most valuable?

I like the traffic monitoring because it meets the firewall protocols.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement so maybe I would say the subscriptions need improvement. I have to pay for a lot of other features that I don't really need. My goal is to have as anti-malware. It should be set up more specifically so that I only pay for what I want.

I have been using FortiCache since 2014.

WAN Optimization
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Riverbed, GFI and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: September 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable.

Scalability is good.

Technical support is very good, I've had an issue where I've had to raise a ticket.

We got the device swapped and got another device that was the same model. It didn't take much time at all. The only issue I had with that when my device went back for the swap, my license was not paused. When my device came back I had like just a few more months left for my license. I was hoping for the license to be paused where there is no premium and then it could get reactivated when I got it back.

That was the only issue I've had with support.

The initial setup was complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would say you should go for it. Make sure to understand the terms and conditions of the support.

In the next release, I would like to see better email server hosting.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Data Center & Operation Manager at CPC
Has high-availability for managing web caching, filtering and security through a user-friendly interface
  • "It has a nice graphic interface and it is easy to find information about effectively using the product because of the large user-base."
  • "Sometimes when using high availability, the second firewall does not come up immediately if the first one goes down."

What is our primary use case?

In general, I use it to make a DMZ zone and protect our servers with the firewall. We also use it for web filtering access to some websites to reduce the use of our bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it is easy-to-use with a nice graphical interface is probably my favorite feature. Also, because it is a popular product, I can find many assorted company websites and information about how to configure the components and make the best use of the product.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes when we are using FortiCache with high availability, some problems occur. If the first firewall goes down, sometimes the second firewall does not come up immediately. It only happens sometimes. This issue should be fixed. It is really the only issue I have had with Fortigate.

What I would like to see included in future releases is already available in FortiCache, but you currently need a license. It is a wireless controller for the Fortigate firewall. It should be included.

We have been using the product since 2014. So it has been about six years.

After some configuration issues were corrected, it has been stable. I have used it for more than five years now without having any trouble.

It is scalable. We have around 160 users using FortiCache within our company. The user-base is a mix between some IT people for management, engineers, and admin. Some are other users who in common are using this firewall as part of operations.

One time I did have to contact technical support when the high availability setup failed to work. I was satisfied with their services because they found something wrong in the configuration that did not agree with the network setup. So they fixed it using a hotfix file and send it to me right away by email.

The setup is a little bit complex in my case because I have a Multi VLAN. Because of that, I found that it is a bit complicated to configure it. This may not be the case for a different type of architecture.

For the implementation, I had some help from consultants. The installation went down for a bit and after that, I called some consultants to help me with a private consultation.

The licensing costs are priced on a yearly basis. We do not have to pay any additional fees for technical support or additional features for our usage level.

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience, I would give people considering this solution the advice to work with Fortigate. It is a newer technology. It can manage Multi VLANs and you can manage DMZ zones by using an easy end-user GUI interface.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate FortiCache overall as an eight-out-of-ten.

WAN Optimization
September 2022
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jesus Petez - PeerSpot reviewer
Communication and Security Director at Nunsys S.L.
Enables you to control all the different cloud solutions you have in your family of hybrid clouds but it needs more integrations
  • "We think it's a good solution for cloud security, where one has hybrid cloud. They have different cloud solutions like a Office 365 or Azure or Amazon. This is a good solution to control all the different cloud solutions you have in your family of hybrid clouds, from one panel. This is what the main feature we look for."
  • "However, we would like them to add more integrations. We would appreciate a more open solution. They're quite good when you have the entire Fortinet ecosystem, but otherwise it's not as good of a solution."

What is most valuable?

We think it's a good solution for cloud security, where one has hybrid cloud. They have different cloud solutions like Office 365, Azure or Amazon. This is a good solution to control all the different cloud solutions you have in your family of hybrid clouds, from one panel. This is what the main feature we look for.

What needs improvement?

It is quite good for our needs. They have the main integrations with all our different software and cloud solutions, like Office and Google. I know there are a lot of other solutions, but we use Fortinet.

However, we would like them to add more integrations. We would appreciate a more open solution. They're quite good when you have the entire Fortinet ecosystem, but otherwise it's not as good of a solution.

The access is perhaps something that can be improved. I think it's a product that could develop in the future. I hope they develop some control software security solutions or combiners.

We've been using this solution for about one and half years.

Sometimes it can be a little bit unstable.

Here in Spain, we have around 15 offices across various provinces of Spain. Our main customers have around 100 to 200 salespeople in the office. Our medium-sized customers are not big enterprises, although we do have some of them as well.

I grew the number of people pretty fast. They responded to our needs. They have around 50 or 60 people. Usually, I want to chat with support staff, but we don't usually use professional services from Fortinet. We deal with partners for support. It is good, or at least it's not bad.

We are a partner of Fortinet. We usually try to explore the solutions when they buy another solution.

The first two projects we did were not so easy to set up, but after that we had no problem.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Download our free WAN Optimization Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Riverbed, GFI, and more!
Updated: September 2022