Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

DxEnterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is DxEnterprise?

DxEnterprise is multi-platform Smart Availability software built on patented technology that achieves the highest levels of availability for SQL Server instances and availability groups, containers, and apps across both Windows and Linux environments. It can be used to manage a variety of workloads at the instance level – as well as Docker containers. DxEnterprise is particularly optimized for native or containerized Microsoft SQL Server deployments on any platform and is also adept at management of Oracle on Windows. With DxEnterprise, organizations get advanced fault detection to minimize outages and complete instance mobility from any host to any host, anywhere.

DxEnterprise expands its Smart Availability capabilities to SQL Server availability groups (AGs) with DxEnterprise for AGs. DxEnterprise for AGs is the only tool on the market that enables SQL Server AGs to be made highly available within and between Windows and Linux nodes across any type of infrastructure, including support for containers - all without relying on cumbersome cluster orchestration technologies like Pacemaker or WSFC.

DxEnterprise unlocks these key benefits:

✔️ Highest levels of availability

✔️ Immediate 25%-60% licensing savings

✔️ Peak utilization and consolidation

✔️ Near-zero planned and unplanned downtime

✔️ Management simplicity

DH2i is a software provider with over 10 years of experience, helping customers around the world enhance their IT management and SQL Server capabilities with DxEnterprise.

DxEnterprise was previously known as DH2i DxEnterprise.

DxEnterprise Customers

Asante, Eversheds, Vecima Networks, W&W AFCO Steel, City of Aurora, Menigo, Linn County Sheriff's Office

DxEnterprise Video

Archived DxEnterprise Reviews (more than two years old)

Solutions Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Initial setup was relatively straightforward for a clustering solution.

What is most valuable?

SQL patching

High availability

How has it helped my organization?

We were looking for a better-than-Microsoft-SQL clustering solution.

What needs improvement?

The interface can seem a little old school at times.

By Old School, I simply mean from a graphics perspective it looks like word 97, not word 2013.

I have used it for three years.

The team from DH2i stepped us through the install over the phone and made sure they were oncall during major upgrades.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

We previously used Microsoft clustering.

Initial setup was relatively straightforward for a clustering solution.

An in-house team implemented it.

We measure ROI in up-time. So far, no issues, whatsoever.

Unfortunately, you need to license your test environment, as well. We have a test environment purely for DxEnterprise.

Systems Analyst/DBA at Vecima Networks
Leaderboard
Learning curve when moving from PolyServe is very low. I would refrain from using DxTransfer for moving databases & jobs

What is most valuable?

Failover and clustering of SQL Server instances

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to have redundant servers for our SQL instances so in the event of system failure, we would only be down for a few minutes while things failed over

What needs improvement?

Better messages from system on errors and warnings. Better error logging in the DxTransfer tool.

over a year

Deployment went fairly smoothly. The biggest issue was that it used a different filesystem than PolyServe so we needed to move all of the data from the PolyServe File System (PFS) to the Melio File System (MFS). This was a very slow process and resulted in a lot of overtime as you need to turn off a SQL instance in order to move the databases.

Update - With the new DxEnterprise, you no longer need a fancy file system. We have NTFS set up now and failing over is even faster than with Melio.

Stability seems fairly good so far. Once things were configured properly, stability seems pretty good unless 3 of our 4 servers hosting the software go down. One server cannot nicely handle all of our SQL instances. But that is a server resource issue, not a DxConsole issue.

Update - We had stability issues with Melio, but since switching to DxEnterprise and using NTFS instead of Melio, we are more than happy. No stability issues at all.

Scalability seems to work quite nicely. Very similar to PolyServe.

Customer service has been excellent so far. Response times are very prompt.

Technical support has been very helpful. Any issues we ran into, they were able to help with or correct in a very quick manner.

PolyServe is what we used previously and we switched because we wanted a system that offered full support. PolyServe was forum-based support due to the product approaching EOL.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The installation is pretty much a "click next next next install" then once installed you enter your serial number and are good to go. If you have used PolyServe before, the software is very easy to configure. It uses similar terms for things and has very similar features.

Update - Upgrading from DxConsole to DxEnterprise was very easy. Upgrading from DxDev to DxEnterprise was a bit more bumpy, but even that was pretty easy to do.

We implemented In-house.

I am unsure on the original setup cost but the day to day cost is very low. We have email alerts set up on the system and unless all 4 servers go down at once, we will get email notifications on issues. Therefore I only really touch the system when it tells me something is wrong.

Update - Since upgrading to DxEnterprise and removing Melio, maintenance costs in hours are basically nothing. It has been a few months since we have needed to contact support and that was more just a heads-up that we were starting an update from DxConsole to DxEnterprise. We have had no need to contact Support since upgrading.

We didn't really evaluate other options as this product seemed to meet our needs and seemed to be very similar to our existing system.

What other advice do I have?

If you have used PolyServe and are looking for an alternate before it is EOL, I strongly recommend DxConsole. The learning curve for those who have used PolyServe is very low and the system works great. I would refrain from using DxTransfer for moving databases and jobs, but it works nice for moving users. There is a new version of DxTransfer, but we have not had need to use it since we set up our systems.

Update - I strongly encourage people to upgrade from DxConsole to DxEnterprise. It works a lot better, is more stable and has much faster failovers. On top of that it has extra features not available in DxConsole.

it_user360672 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user360672Freelance Technology Writer, Journalist, Editor at a writing and editing position

Did you not find any alternatives in the market to DxEnterprise for MSFT containers?

VP of IT at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees

Our company has been using DXConsole for over a year. We are a small SQL shop with limited budget but still require HA. We have 2 SQL servers and 10 virtual instances. We enjoy the fact that we can failover and failback with little to no issues to the databases. We also like the virtual instances where you don't have to make any ODBC changes to some of our applications when we do a failover. This product eases administration and gives us great reliability without the cost of SQL enterprise. I am curious to see if anyone is using the DR feature to another datacenter or the cloud.