We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

3scale API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

3scale API Management is #12 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give 3scale API Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. 3scale API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: 3scale API Management vs Apigee. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is 3scale API Management?

3scale is an API management platform that delivers flexible, highly scalable solutions to package, distribute, control, and monetize your APIs, giving you the power to make the most of your API program.

• Share company data, content, or services through Web or mobile applications.
  • Provide an API to external organizations, internal teams, or both.
  • Avoid the hassle and constant maintenance of building a solution from scratch.

3scale delivers centralized API management features through a distributed, cloud-hosted layer. The platform includes built-in features to help you build a more successful API program, including access control, rate limits, payment gateway integration, and developer experience tools.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

3scale API Management Customers

Victor Ops, Coca Cola, The Telegraph, Skava, Orange, Typeform

3scale API Management Video

Archived 3scale API Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Sylvain Déjardin
TechOps Engineer - Middleware & Containers specialist at EBRC -European Business Reliance Centre
Really simple integration for developers workflow

What is our primary use case?

3scale: what a really good product to secure an unsecure API if you have multiple backend unsecured routes provided by an ESB (Red Hat Fuse), and available through one unique frontend acting as a secure gateway (with HTTPS protocol and API keys).

How has it helped my organization?

Really simple integration for developers workflow because we have a unique entry point to integrate multiple APIs behind, really straight forward.

What is most valuable?

Thanks to open source communities based on Apiman/Keycloak products, Red Hat adds stable features for production perspectives.

What needs improvement?

Setting up OIDC authentication would be another use case for this product.
That would require at least three components :

Thanks to Openshift Container Platform integration program and features, an all in one product merge is going to be available shortly.

Less than one year.

The resource consumption is quite good, checked by design because the application behind is running in cloud in containers where resource capping takes place.

For standalone host solution, it is possible to instantiate multiple JVM (Java Virtual Machine) based on Wildfly or JBoss and use session memory replication.

For container solution, docker perspectives on Plateforme as a Service high availability mechanisms , it is more easy to clone dynamically containers on automatic load triggers.

I previously used Apiman and Keycloak community version.

Our clients need security patch management, that's why we are using 3Scale from Red Hat in order to get erratas (security fixes) integrated.

Not complex, the cloud integration is even the quickest one based on containers.

Red Hat is a good compromise for now on service support, and it provides short release cycle of open source community (stable features needs by developers).

For cloud solution, we evaluated Apiman/Keycloak community version, then 3scale in OpenShift and Azure API Management.

Co-Founder at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Easy to deploy
  • "It's good that they aren't adding a lot of features like ESP, etc. It's okay with just being a gateway."
  • "I believe the CMS part of it has room for improvement though. That is where you write a couple of things if you want to publish your API. It's based on liquid scripting, which doesn't seem like the obvious ones to script with."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for 3scale is for promising internal and external exacts, as well as providing HIT to computers.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable aspects of this solution for us is its ease of deployment. Also the fact that it's not adding a lot of features like ESP or similar features is good. It's okay with just being a gateway.

What needs improvement?

We haven't been working so long, so we are just starting to use it. I believe the CMS part of it has room for improvement though. That is where you write a couple of things if you want to publish your API. It's based on liquid scripting, which doesn't seem like the obvious ones to script with.

I would also like to see it work with open API specification 3.

We've been using 3scale for about one month.

It seems stable. It does what it does and it doesn't have that many features, but it seems to be working when you're using those features.

We will see about scalability when we begin to use it more, but all the ops files are done by four people. That's including all other ops as well, so I can't say exactly how much it would take, but it should fit into the ordinary work. We are planning on increasing the usage of 3scale, extensively I think, but we're just in the beginning.

I have a case right now actually. They have been answering, so it has been fine so far, but I haven't used it a lot.

We checked Apigee, but it mainly failed for us. The way we wanted to write it required a cloud and our organization was not ready for pre-cloud solutions. It wasn't a good fit. It was possible to run it on prime, but that seemed like quite a big installation and ops to be running.

I would say the initial setup is straightforward. I haven't been doing the installation by myself. The operation people have done that, but it went well and we had no problem with that.

They said it should take just an hour or two, and we were laughing. That's what it should've taken, but I would say that they were done in a week. I think when you come to a new environment, it's not just the product. It's other things as well. So I would say that one week is pretty efficient.

We had some assistance from Redhat, but it was quite straightforward. We didn't bump into any issues at all. It was on Openshift, so it was straightforward

What other advice do I have?

I would rate 3scale as a seven or eight out of ten. I've had more issues with supporting it. Also, the CMS and Open API specification issues I mentioned above. Those things could be better or simpler.

Product Categories
API Management
Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Google, IBM, and more!