Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Rackwise DCiM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Rackwise DCiM?
Rackwise DCiM is leveraged by hundreds of commercial and government customers worldwide to track, manage, measure, plan, optimize and reduce operational costs for operating their data centers and Enterprise IT infrastructures. Rackwise Data Center Infrastructure Management Software helps monitor, manage, optimize, visually map and proactively assess risk across all your data center assets. It provides the information crucially required for making informed and critical decisions from within a centralized environment where facility engineering disciplines, IT engineering disciplines, and business management disciplines all converge within a common framework. RACKWISE DCiM XTM provides an unlimited and unrestricted real-time monitoring capability for measuring critical information such as power, current, temperature and other elements from a broad range of devices including servers, switches, power equipment, smart power-strips, dedicated sensors, and other devices by leveraging industry standard communication protocols.
Rackwise DCiM Customers
salesforce.com, Verio, Lilly, AAA, Acxiom, metroPCS, Kelly services, Bae systems, Christian Dior, CDM, Iron Mountain, Telstra, Mentor Graphics
Rackwise DCiM Video

Archived Rackwise DCiM Reviews (more than two years old)

Deven McOmie - PeerSpot reviewer
User at WZC Networking LLC
Horrible support for a product that can be improved in every way possible
  • "The only features that we have found valuable are related to rack elevation and layout, where it has the ability to build rack elevations."
  • "It uses a cobbled together Excel spreadsheet as a database, mixed in with poorly developed and outdated Visio layouts and stencils."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for managing rack elevation, power, and cabling. It is also used for the tracking of hardware assets and warranty information.

How has it helped my organization?

Rackwise has only improved our environment to the point where we are now able to search quickly for an asset. In many cases, this can be a challenge as the search function has many limitations. We are finding there are a lot of problems when it comes to monitoring power and heat locations.

What is most valuable?

The only features that we have found valuable are related to rack elevation and layout, where it has the ability to build rack elevations.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be improved in every way possible.

First, support is horrible at its best, and non-existent at its worst. Stencil updates, for example, can take up to one year before you even see anything. The vendor is all supportive when you are looking to purchase the product. However, once you have the software, they make ghosts even look real.

The core product was last updated in 2013. It uses a cobbled together Excel spreadsheet as a database, mixed in with poorly developed and outdated Visio layouts and stencils.

Don't expect it to work well with anything that's not Internet Explorer, not to mention the hesitations and IE crashes that come from the horrible coding.

Three to five years.

It is only stable to an extent, providing that you want to use IE forever.

In terms of scalability, I find this that this solution is outdated and extremely limited, as compared to other solutions that are newer and more cost-effective.

The technical support is horrible at its best, and non-existent at its worst.

Unless this company has a massive change in how their support works and how soon they update their software, I think they will only be living off of the limited support contract payments they have coming in. I know I am pushing my company to not provide them with any more money, as we are just not getting the support we are paying for.

This product was in place prior to my hiring.

I was not involved with the initial setup of this solution.

From what I can discover, it was the vendor who implemented the software.

N/A.

If you have a small to medium sized DC footprint then sure, this will do what you need it to. However, I would research as many DCIM software options as possible.

If support is important to you then this is not your product. If staying current on your assets is a concern then this product is not for you.

If for some reason you find that this software meets all of your needs, awesome, I say go with it. Just keep in mind it is Excel and Visio based, so you could save a ton of money by just using these two programs together to do the same thing.

I am not aware of the evaluation process if there was one.

What other advice do I have?

We have been told several times over the last few years that a new version is coming soon and that it will be amazing! Massive changes are coming!!!! Well, I'm done waiting. We are in the process of exploring other options and will likely be Rackwise-free at the end of the year.

Unless you have a small data center footprint, DO NOT use this product.