McAfee MOVE AntiVirus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus is the #5 ranked solution in top Anti-Malware Tools. PeerSpot users give McAfee MOVE AntiVirus an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. McAfee MOVE AntiVirus is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: McAfee MOVE AntiVirus vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. McAfee MOVE AntiVirus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is McAfee MOVE AntiVirus?

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus is a virtual environment antivirus solution. Traditional antivirus doesn’t play well with virtualized infrastructure. McAfee MOVE AntiVirus brings optimized, advanced malware protection to virtualized desktops and servers. It offers security and performance for your company without requiring that every virtual machine be installed with an antivirus application. After identifying threats, McAfee MOVE AntiVirus protects your environment using the settings you define.

The software comes with two deployment options: Multi-Platform and Agentless. Both methods are handled and reported on by McAfee ePO and offer consistent protection.

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Features

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Seamless management: A single solution for desktops and virtual servers works across all major hypervisors. An agentless, tuned option works on VMware vCloud Networking and Security and VMware NSX.
  • Optimized scanning: To eliminate scanning bottlenecks and delays, the solution offloads configuration, scanning, and .DAT update operations from individual guest images to an offload scan server.
  • Visibility: Ability to see into workloads and their underlying platforms through Cloud Workload Discovery for private cloud deployments.
  • Zero-day threat protection Quickly detect and contain zero-day threats and integrate perimeter and virtual machine protection with use of local reputation intelligence.
  • Flexible deployment: Run the same solution in multi platform environments, including agentless environments (VMware, Windows, and Linux VMs) and all major hypervisors and Windows VMs.
  • Single console management The ePolicy Orchestrator implements security solutions across virtual, physical, and cloud environments.
  • Optimization of resources: Scale your scanning power either up or down by using elastic provisioning of offline scanners with event notifications.
  • Manage Your Policies: Automatically tag vulnerable virtual machines and unify policies.

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing McAfee MOVE AntiVirus. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Malware scanning is offloaded: Instant security with minimal impact on memory and processing.
  • Boosts web and intrusion protection
  • Blocks unknown and zero-day threats: File analysis in real time via McAfee Global Threat Intelligence.
  • Reduces setup and updates: Virtual appliance that is dedicated and hardened.
  • Protects against antiviral storms: Scheduled and on-access scans are available options.
  • Deployment flexibility: Agentless on VMware or multiplatform (vendor neutral).
  • Leverages McAfee ePO software: Control, at-a-glance visibility, and reporting across your endpoints.

Reviews from Real Users

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Some of these include its user-friendly UX, its full automation, and its stability. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Jerry O., Group General Manager at Mandilas Toyota, writes, “It is a stable, reliable solution with good performance. The solution is reasonably priced. It’s great at protecting users and won’t let any external devices come through. They can’t copy anything from the server.”

Supriya R., a Senior Sales Manager at UST Global, notes, “The most valuable features of McAfee MOVE AntiVirus are the auto-scans on the systems, and if it detects any virus, it will send out notifications or alerts."

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus was previously known as McAfee MOVE, McAfee Management for Optimized Virtual Environments AntiVirus, McAfee Management for Optimized Virtual Environments.

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Customers

Kleberg Bank, Sicredi, Seagate, Loop Technology, Vidant Health, Xcel Energy, Cook County, Berkshire Health Systems, Mauser, China Pacific Insurance, Cologne-Bonn Airport, Bank Central Asia, Boston Medical Center, Boston Scientific

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Video

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee MOVE AntiVirus pricing:
"For McAfee, I think it's already paid until 2023 because it's added on with the Windows 10 license pricing from Dell. I had to pay it on the Dell website, which includes the licensing cost of Windows 10 and McAfee."

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Reviews

Information Technology Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to work with, and offers good performance
  • "Overall, the policies are good. They are easy to implement."
  • "I found that the interface is a little bit confusing. It's over-stuffed. If a new IT person comes in, it is difficult to understand how the McAfee console works."

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable. In comparison, when I used Trend Micro, I recall having multiple issues.

Trend Micro was tedious to install and the implementation of its policy organization-wide was a challenge. Often file codes wouldn't work or the performance was off. With McAfee, I'm not seeing these same issues, although, to be fair, I've only worked with it for a month. The performance seems to be better, and it's less challenging to work with.

Overall, the policies are good. They are easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

I found that the interface is a little bit confusing. It's over-stuffed. If a new IT person comes in, it is difficult to understand how the McAfee console works. It needs to be more user-friendly and not as complicated.

It would be nice if the solution could add in some ransomware features.

I haven't been using the solution for too long. It's something we use at my new company. However, the license is about to expire, and we may be looking into other options. I've only really used it for a month.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about McAfee MOVE AntiVirus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have about 30 or so people that are using the solution.

We do not plan on increasing usage and may discontinue usage in general. We are currently considering alternatives.

I've never had a chance to reach out to technical support. I've only been using the solution for a month and the license s coming to an end. Therefore, there's never been a reason for me to reach out. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are in general.

In my previous organization, I used Trend Micro.

I wasn't involved in the installation of the solution. The product was already installed when I began at the company. Therefore, I wasn't a part of the process.

I cannot speak to the actual cost of the solution. It's not an aspect of the product I deal with.

It's a little bit tough to manage the license. I have to purchase separate licenses for 30 users that cover ransomware protection.

In the present company, we are using McAfee, however, it's about to end license duration. We are looking for a good alternative to it.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

I cannot recall the exact version number of our current solution.

We are doing R&D right now. I'm new to this organization and I have to manage it all. I find that right now, with McAfee, we're trying to figure out what to do with it. It's up for renewal. We're working to decide if it should stay or if we should switch to something new.

The console is not user-friendly and that's a bit of a turn-off. It's making us reconsider the product.

That said, I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. It's good. It's just that, if I appointed a new trainee and I asked him to set the policy for the security on a user's laptop he would just get annoyed. If it was more user-friendly I wouldn't have to worry about the onboarding process so much. New team members would just be able to handle the tasks and not be confused by the technology itself.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Program Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good for protection but causes lag in the system
  • "It's valuable for protection and internet safety."
  • "One problem is that when you switch on the system, Windows 10 takes almost two to three minutes to get initiated and then McAfee adds on to it because it starts scanning automatically."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for protection of personal information and internet safety. This is an individual system, so I'm the only one who uses it.

What is most valuable?

It's valuable for protection and internet safety.

What needs improvement?

The system could perform better and faster. The latest Windows, like 10 and 11, have the internal defenders available in the setup itself. It was pre-installed and it was available with the package itself. I didn't have to pay anything separately for that, so that's why I'm just keeping it as it is. Another problem is I can't delete it or I can only disable it, so when the self protective system is already in place, I don't think an additional antivirus is needed.

I've been using McAfee MOVE AntiVirus since 2020. It was pre-installed, so it was with the package of Windows 10.

One problem is that when you switch on the system, Windows 10 takes almost two to three minutes to get initiated and then McAfee adds on to it because it starts scanning automatically. You need to manually pause it because it slows down the system drastically. As a combination with Windows 10, McAfee makes the system a lot slower.

With our company laptops, everything is pre-installed, and I think they are using Quick Heal in office. It's better because I don't get any popups or scanning messages. It sends the details to the respective department and they take the call, so I don't need to intervene in anything. Every two weeks or twice in a month, all the upgrades get notified. As upgrades get notified, I keep doing the updates for the office. It automatically gets updated for Windows 10.

I didn't have to do any installation. It came with a package, so everything was pre-installed in the system.

For McAfee, I think it's already paid until 2023 because it's added on with the Windows 10 license pricing from Dell. I had to pay for it on the Dell website, which includes the licensing cost of Windows 10 and McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 5 out of 10 because of the lag that it produces in the system. As soon as you switch it on, it takes four to five minutes in addition to the lag Windows 10 causes due to the size of the operating system. With respect to protection it's fine, but with respect to the delay of speed, it's much slower.

I wouldn't recommend McAfee Move Antivirus for Windows 10. It has a self-defense mechanism available in the processor itself. In that case, why would you need a separate antivirus? It's not required. The Windows Defender is already available and it's more than capable for just browsing through applications and websites. It's more capable of defending the system from any malware or any virus from the net. So in that case, I feel that McAfee is not required.

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus
November 2022
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Technology Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with good notifications and decent protection
  • "It provides helpful popups."
  • "The cost could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

When I'm getting some emails or something, they will be scanned, and the solution will be giving me an indication of whether any malware or anything is present. I can be warned before opening some attachments. It will do some scanning and provide some assurance that they have done that check so I feel protected. It's a good level of security.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm not using the solution for my personal purpose. I'm using it for my organization, where we are looking for some improvisation for the product.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good protection. It provides helpful popups.

It has an easy initial setup.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

The cost could be improved.

I've been using the solution for about four years.

The solution is stable.

You need to make sure that you are updated with the latest database to search for the vulnerabilities so that you will have the best updates from McAfee regarding the latest threats on the internet. It will help ensure your security.

When you are subscribed, you have the option to choose how many devices you want to use. You can choose the right options for your organization.

I'm not sure how many people are on the solution, however, my understanding is that it is quite a few. I use it across my day-to-day activities and it's used extensively.

I haven't used any tech support. We tend to get the latest updates to protect ourselves. However, if we need to, we can search the internet to keep updated on the latest trends in terms of vulnerabilities. If we see something worrisome, we'll patch and fix.

I'm using AVG as well.

The solution is not that complex. If it is someone with some experience, it'll be easy. The deployment itself won't take not more than half an hour.

I did the implementation myself. I did not use a consultant or an integrator.

The solution is a bit pricey.

I have a yearly license. You can get some discounts. I went for a combo offer with my mobile and laptop having the connection. There's a subscription for that.

We want to try the different options which are available in the market. I'm doing some R&D to understand what the pros and cons are and looking for reviews from customers who are all currently using it to try to understand the challenges when we are using any other product available in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I have not done a subscription or renewal recently. I am currently on an older version.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, it is a bit expensive.

Equity research analyst at a consultancy with self employed
Secure, scalable, and stable
  • "It's my understanding that the initial setup isn't too difficult."
  • "The solution could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution in order to protect my personal information.

Every once in a while, I get a message saying that the solution has completed a scan and no threats have been found. I'm not sure if it's my Microsoft antivirus or if it is McAfee, however, sometimes when I try to access a website, there's a message that says it's not safe to view the website and attackers might be trying to view the data. I'm not sure which one is doing it. McAfee or Microsoft, however, I do get these messages sometimes.

What is most valuable?

The solution is scalable.

The stability is good.

It's my understanding that the initial setup isn't too difficult.

Overall, the security is pretty good and I've been kept safe from viruses and dangerous websites.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure.

I've been using the solution since I got my laptop, which was about four years ago now. It's been a while.

The product has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable so far.

While it's my understanding that the solution can scale, I only use it for myself at this time. I don't have plans to expand it beyond personal use.

I've never had a need to reach out to technical support. There haven't been any issues with the product. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I can't speak to the process surrounding the initial implementation and deployment. It was already there. It just came with the laptop. I don't remember the setup process, however, it must have been fairly easy to do it if I have it on the laptop.

I can't speak to if there was a vendor team used to deploy the product as it was just on my laptop when I received it.

You do have to pay for a license. You need to renew it yearly.

I didn't evaluate any other antivirus options. This is the only product I really know.

What other advice do I have?

I am still using the solution. I get messages saying I have to reactivate it, however, I have not done that.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using. Currently, I just use it myself, for personal protection. I'm an end-user and customer.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten at this time. It's been very good in terms of its capabilities so far.

I would recommend it to other users and companies.

Manager at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and easy to install but ends up slowing down machines
  • "The solution offers good stability."
  • "The performance is poor."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product as an antivirus. It's for security. We use it specifically for PC protection. We primarily use the product within our enterprise.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good stability.

The installation process is easy.

What needs improvement?

The performance is poor. It slows down my PC when it starts running. It takes up a lot of energy on the system.

We've been using the solution for a long time. It's likely been years at this point.

While the solution is stable, in that there are no bugs or glitches, it does tend to make my PC run very slowly when it initiates scans. It takes up a lot of energy on the system and slows everything down.

The solution doesn't scale within the parameters of my PC. I just use it for my personal computer.

I've never directly dealt with McAfee. In the two instances I have had issues, I contacted my own internal technical support team. I'm not sure who they would reach out to if they had issues they couldn't solve. However, from my perspective, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive the McAfee team is, as I've never talked with them.

I've never been provided with any other antivirus. This is the only antivirus that my company has offered to me.

The solution is very easy to install and deploy. A company shouldn't have any issues with handling the setup process. It's not complex. It's quite straightforward.

My understanding is that setup only takes a few minutes and normally when we get the laptop with it pre-installed. As users, we only experience the update process. The update doesn't take that much time.

The product comes pre-installed on our machines.

We have an enterprise license, however, I do not handle the details. I cannot speak to the exact cost. That's handled by someone else in the company.

What other advice do I have?

The solution tends to automatically update itself, and therefore, we are always on the latest version. However, I cannot speak to the exact version number. I'm not sure if it's on the cloud or on-premises. It just seems to work in the background and take care of itself.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten. It's an okay security solution, however, it really affects the performance of my machine.

I'm not sure if I would be able to recommend the solution, as I have no sense of what else is on the market.

Information Management Specialist at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Stable and easy to set up but needs to add more filtering capabilities
  • "The solution is very stable and reliable."
  • "The solution needs to be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for the security features on offer. I use it to protect my Windows system.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable and reliable.

The installation is very easy and the deployment is very fast. It doesn't take a lot of time to get up and running.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be more secure. If they can continue to improve the level of protection it offers, it would be a better product.

They need to offer more spam filters or integrate more features for controlling junk. They need to be able to filter during browsing. That would help make the solution more secure.

We've been using the solution for about four or five years at this point.

The solution is very stable. I haven't had any issues with it. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I cannot speak to how scalable the solution is. I haven't used it in a way that would require scaling and therefore have never experimented with expanding it beyond what I need right now.

I just use the solution myself, for personal use.

I've never had to contact technical support. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

I tend to use McAfee and Symantec for my security solutions. I use them both to protect my systems.

A long time ago, I used Norton Antivirus.

The initial implementation is straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The deployment itself takes maybe five to ten minutes. It's very fast. You are up and running in no time.

I am able to handle the setup and deployment myself. I don't need to rely on an integrator or consultant. The process is easy.

You do need to pay a license fee in order to use the product.

What other advice do I have?

I have the solution on my personal laptop. The solution automatically updates and therefore I never need to check what version I'm on to make sure it's the latest.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. If it offered better protection, I would rate it higher.

I might recommend this solution to other users and organizations.

IT Support Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Provides a flexible and user-friendly console
  • "McAfee provides a console which is very flexible, usable and user-friendly."
  • "McAfee drive encryption does not work very smoothly."

What is our primary use case?

I use McAfee antivirus, DLP, drive encryption. I use it for its anti-malware features.

What is most valuable?

The solution works fine. Its processing of the hardware resources on my clients' computers do not take long. McAfee provides a console which is very flexible, usable and user-friendly. Sophos, too, is user-friendly. The solution has deep learning threat-hunting-like ransomware protection. This is why I like both of these products.

What needs improvement?

McAfee drive encryption does not work very smoothly. While I make use of it, I have found that it does not work properly on the machine. Along the way it tends to get corrupted and this can happen on certain drives. I know there are many issues worth mentioning, although I am hard pressed to come up with specific ones at the moment. In respect of hardware resources such as RAM, there is also a need to improve the antivirus features.

Deep learning, machine learning should be added as a feature. Ransomware protection should be updated for the latest ransomware extension. By comparison, Sophos has many new features, such as deep learning in XDR. McAfee needs to be improved so that its features can compete with those of Sophos, such as threat hunting, threat analysis and an additional lockdown feature for the server.

I have been using McAfee MOVE AntiVirus for two years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution has good scalability.

VMcAfee technical support is very good. The first thing which must be done is to log a case, at which point we must wait one to two hours at times, something I find time consuming.

Overall, though, the support is very good, although Sophos' is comparatively better.

Installation is definitely very easy. At the moment, we are making use of the cloud consoles, so there is only a need to register one's email ID and password, which will provide access to the console.

As my role is technical in nature, I am not in a position to comment on pricing.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is both cloud-based and on-premises.

McAfee is the way to go for someone who only is interested in using DLP and antivirus. It will also allow a person to use the device controller. Sophos makes available the use of full DLP. However, one must use Symantec for drive encryption, which is very good.

I rate McAfee MOVE AntiVirus as an eight out of ten.

‎Infrastructure Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An agent-less solution that offers good performance and good malware detection
  • "It's minimal and not too heavy on the system."
  • "It would be ideal if the initial setup was a bit easier."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for malware protection and security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The reason why went for MOVE is due to the fact that it's agent-less. This is one of the most valuable aspects of the product overall.

The solution's performance is very good.

It's minimal and not too heavy on the system.

The malware detection is very good.

We have found the solution to stable.

The product is scalable.

The solution is highly compatible with other products.

What needs improvement?

As of now, we haven't identified any room for improvement as it's addressing our requirements for malware detection and for performance also.

It would be ideal if the initial setup was a bit easier.

I have used the solution for three or four years at this point.

The solution is stable so far. I haven't had any issues just yet. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

About 500 people are using the solution in our organization. It's deployed onto all of our virtual desktops.

We are planning to expand usage as we are expanding our virtual desktop infrastructure.

The technical support from McAfee is good, and also the account manager that we have is very supportive and responsive. We are happy with the level of support.

For a virtual environment, we did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is okay. It's not that straightforward, however, it is doable. I would rate the entire process at a six out of ten.

We have one admin that handles any maintenance tasks that need to be addressed.

We had assistance with the setup via a partner.

I'm not dealing with the commercial aspect of the product, therefore, I do not have any knowledge of the costs involved or the licensing structure.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

I would recommend this product if a company is deploying a virtual environment, especially if it is Citrix VDI due to its compatibility and the minimal impact on the performance.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Download our free McAfee MOVE AntiVirus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022