DbVisualizer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

DbVisualizer is the #12 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give DbVisualizer an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. DbVisualizer is most commonly compared to Toad for Oracle: DbVisualizer vs Toad for Oracle. DbVisualizer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a government, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is DbVisualizer?

One tool for all databases and OSes
DbVisualizer is the ultimate database tool for developers, analysts and DBAs. It runs on all major OSes and connects to all major databases.

DbVisualizer Customers
Tesla, Google, Facebook, Citibank, Standard Chartered Bank, Apple, BMO, Deutsche Bank, Netflix, Disney

DbVisualizer Pricing Advice

What users are saying about DbVisualizer pricing:
  • "A license with a few years of support is a good and valuable option."
  • "The pricing for DbVisualizer is fair."
  • DbVisualizer Reviews

Ronald Rood - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Technical Consultant at CIBER
    Integrates with many databases, clean GUI, and provides valuable real-time graphs
    • "Timed queries that add their result to the result grid for every execution are helpful."
    • "Sometimes, I feel that the startup time takes a bit more time than needed."

What is our primary use case?

I use DbVisualizer to run complex queries in many databases, including about every vendor with a relational database.

Timed SQL execution and real-time graphs are the killer features. It is a multiple-platform tool, based on Java but with a native look and feel. Most colleagues initially don't believe it is entirely written in Java.

For Oracle, I use it to analyze AWR data.

During database restores, I use this to monitor the progression and to estimate the remaining time.

The limits to its use are by imagination only.

How has it helped my organization?

There is no need to have a separate client for every vendor, allowing it to have sets of SQLs in the bookmarks so that we can share them easily. There is good help available for connecting to the various databases and a lot of drivers are included.

If a database vendor is not included yet, it is fairly easy to create a custom profile for that. Initially, a simple object tree with tables and indexes, adding more objects as the need arises. The profile is written in XML and a smart editor could make life a bit easier here.

What is most valuable?

Real-time graphs of data in the result grid.

Bookmarks are a way to store SQL and organize them in folders.

The built-in SSH tunneling is a valuable feature.

Customizations allow us to add elements in the object trees that can be made database/application-specific.

Sharing bookmarks, which are stored SQL queries/scripts, is straightforward.

I can easily adjust graph types, although I mostly use line graphs.

Markings that highlight the environment where you are in (prod/acceptance etc.) helps to keep production alive.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, I feel that the startup time takes a bit more time than needed.

Database Development and Management
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about DbVis Software, Quest Software, IDERA and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: November 2022.
    657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using DbVisualizer for more than 10 years.

The tool is working fine, although sometimes a bit slow on startup. Next to that, it tries very hard not to lose your work. Sometimes when shutting down, this leads to a series of 'are you sure' dialogs.

With big data sets, the memory settings need some adjustment, which is understandable.

The technical support is very good. The tool also includes an automated way to provide the needed logs and traces to their development and their responses are quick. Most of the time, within a day.

Just a simple email will do in most of the cases and currently, they have a feature included that simply collects all kinds of logging and tracing that they use to debug the issue. In earlier releases, this was all to be done manually and is now fully automatic, almost like magic.

Like most people working with databases, we initially used the vendors' tools. These included applications like SQL Plus, PL/pgSQL, etc. They all are a bit limited and all respond differently to edits.

Tools like Toad, PL/pgSQL developer, pgAdmin, and DBeaver have been in use but no tool could win here. Maybe some other tool has more options in a specific database but a lot of people have trouble finding them because of the cluttered interface. There are buttons for every feature.

Here, DbVisualizer, shows strong and smart use of context menus, making the GUI a lot cleaner than most similar tools.

The initial setup is simple. Download, install and GO.

We have quick access to our saved reports/queries that have been evaluated over the years. This is a big win that is hard to quantify but imagine someone having to reinvent that report or query over and over again. The tool has a fair price and quickly earns itself back if you are using many databases.

A license with a few years of support is a good and valuable option. In that, period upgrades are included and support is simple.

Mostly, vendor-specific tools are used. They still are used in scripting on the servers but for client access, DbVisualizer is used. Next to that, we have evaluated Toad, PL/pgSQL developer, pgAdmin, and DBeaver.

What other advice do I have?

Suggesting new features keeps getting harder and harder since they already added an awful lot. The support is quick and they add new features or fix bugs, most of the time in the next release.

Ronald Rood - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Technical Consultant at CIBER
    Good for monitoring specific processes, built-in SSH tunneling support, easy-to-create graphs, and a clean GUI
    • "Actions like exporting grids to Excel or other tools is a very easy task."
    • "One thing I would like to see changed is having the JDBC drivers in a fixed location outside of the application package."

What is our primary use case?

I use this mostly for browsing databases and for certain specific monitoring processes. Like monitoring a database restore/recovery where the time SQL executions and real-time graphs are a great help estimating the time left.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the features DbVisualizer has is the bookmarks. A bookmark is a file containing SQL that can be shared. Over the years, each consultant gathers a nice set of queries that can help in giving quick insights. Being able to share them helps when getting others up to speed, especially when they are not in their main comfort zone.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the timed SQL execution that collects the outputs from each run in the grid. This supports ad-hoc monitoring, be it technical or application-level monitoring, and it can be done if there is an SQL for it.

I like that graphs can be created by using the grid as input. This helps by giving a quick insight and can readily answer questions such as whether we are going quicker or slower. It makes it easier to see using the slope of a graph compared to a series of just numbers. There are a lot of choices in graph types.

This product has built-in SSH tunneling support.

The multi-platform and multi-vendor support are helpful as we run on Macs, Linux, and Windows machines. We support many different databases and applications.

The extensibility is very good. There are things we regularly do that can be built into the tool using local profiles.

For ad-hoc monitoring, you can define bookmarks. If they are there, they collect their data for each execution in the grid. Bookmarks are very helpful, as they act as a memory of all collected and saved queries.

Actions like exporting grids to Excel or other tools is a very easy task. You can copy/paste with or without headers, and it is quick and easy.

The developers understand that not every feature has to be available at all times and they use context-sensitive menus everywhere, giving a clean GUI, instead of a button or menu entry for every feature that really clutters the interface.

What needs improvement?

One thing I would like to see changed is having the JDBC drivers in a fixed location outside of the application package. The advantage of this is that the drivers are not altered during the application upgrades.

For over 10 years I have been a frequent DbVisualizer user. It is very comfortable and has some features not found in any other SQL tool.

The performance is very good, it feels as good as a native application.

Support is very responsive and most of the time, we have a response within a day. It looks like they work around the clock.

We used and still use many other tools like Toad, PL/SQL Developer, pgAdmin, and SQL*Plus. It is just easier to use one single tool that handles all of the systems well, instead of having to get used to different tools with their different quirks.

The pricing for DbVisualizer is fair.

What other advice do I have?

Coming up with ideas for new features is something that gets harder with every release. The developers of DbVisualizer listen carefully to their users and add features on request. It is also quite easy to add custom features using local profiles.

Also, for support, they make it easy to share logs and traces with their development team. All of these are automatically generated and it means that we don't have to dig for all kinds of files. This is a great solution.

My advice for anybody using this solution is that it helps when everyone sharing bookmarks uses the same encoding. Otherwise, there will be errors. Most of the time it works automatically, although, in earlier versions, this could be a small problem.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about DbVis Software, Quest Software, IDERA, and more!
    Updated: November 2022