We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

CDW Technology Support OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is CDW Technology Support?

CDW Amplified™ Workspace services provide a comprehensive approach that allows employees to work from anywhere, on any device. We enable you to build a communications platform that grows with you, is rapidly adopted by end users and helps you improve business outcomes through seamless collaboration.

CDW Technology Support was previously known as CDW CTS.

CDW Technology Support Video

CDW Technology Support Pricing Advice

What users are saying about CDW Technology Support pricing:
"The service works as well as I would expect it to. It could come down on price, although I'm paying just as much as I would have for the straight-up warranty service from Cisco. So I'm not sure they really could lower the price."

CDW Technology Support Reviews

Dan Cox
Systems Administrator at Steel Technologies LLC
Leaderboard
On-site replacement is imperative because the majority of our equipment is located away from my department
  • "The most valuable aspect of the service is their responsiveness to the issues that we have. When we open up a ticket with them, they're pretty quick to get back to us, within at least 30 minutes or so."
  • "Not that it's bad, but there may be room for improvement in terms of having a more knowledgeable first-level support, someone who is able to fix an issue on the first call, versus having to go to another level of technical support to have it worked on."

What is our primary use case?

We looked to CDW for quick uptime when issues are going on and for quality tech support for any kind of application or software issues. The main challenge we were looking to address was getting a same-day response. With the company that we had previous to CDW, no matter what time we would call, it was the next day until we heard from them.

CTS maintains our Cisco routers and switches in our plants, and our Cisco servers, the UCS C200 and C220 chassis.

How has it helped my organization?

The inclusion of on-site hardware replacement is imperative because the majority of our equipment is located away from my department. We can instruct a customer through the process of replacing a hard drive that has been shipped to them, or talk to a technician who has been sent out to the location to get it taken care of. It saves a lot of travel. If we had to go to each site to fix these issues, it would cost at least $500 per trip.

And the fact that CTS takes the time to ensure that defective devices are returned to the manufacturer helps because we don't want to get a surprise bill for something that wasn't returned.

The CDW team stays fully engaged until our issues are completely resolved. They will get on me, as well, if I'm not updating them in a timely fashion. They'll send me an email as a reminder.

What is most valuable?

It's also good that CDW takes ownership of the support relationship and case management. It's always good to be able to work with one company for technical support, instead of having to rely on getting in touch with additional parties and then having a three-way call. A lot of things can get lost within that communication. We don't have to jump through hoops to get an issue resolved. They take it and work it. And if we need to give them any information, it's relatively easy to do and they're available to get on a call and work with me as well.

Another very important aspect is that CDW Technology Support is that it includes OEM escalation because not every company knows everything about every piece of equipment. The original equipment manufacturer knows exactly what's going on. CDW will engage with the OEM and then get us engaged. We don't have to track that down or work with them to get that done.

We have been using CDW Technology Support for about three years.

We like that CDW has many other OEMs on its roadmap. That could give us options because we have other equipment that CDW doesn't currently maintain. It may be something that we can fall back on if we have an issue with another piece of equipment and they can help us fix it.

Most of our servers are managed by a cloud service that we have already set up. The servers that we have on-site at our plants, as well as our switches, are maintained by CDW.

Not that it's bad, but there may be room for improvement in terms of having a more knowledgeable first-level support, someone who is able to fix an issue on the first call, versus having to go to another level of technical support to have it worked on.

But in terms of services delivered on time and on spec, they have fulfilled the contract, which includes parts-next-day repairs. They keep me up to date about when parts are being shipped and the tracking. That keeps me informed so that I can keep my managers and people aware of when these parts are coming.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Our previous service was from the OEM, Cisco, when the equipment was under warranty for a certain period of time. The issue, when we switched to CDW, was the price.

From the time we entered into an agreement to use the service, it took a couple of weeks to start using it, as we had to onboard our equipment, serial numbers and things of that nature. It was a pretty straightforward process.

We currently have six or seven people engaging with CDW: Three of them are network engineers, three are server administrators, and one is our IT manager.

I'm not sure how to measure whether our cost of ownership has been reduced for the systems CDW supports for us, but the service gives us peace of mind, knowing that we have somebody that has our back and can help us repair an issue.

I wasn't involved in the evaluation process, so I'm not sure with whom we talked. We were engaged with CDW at that time on getting our WebEx software cloud set up. It was probably at that point that they talked to us about additional services.

What other advice do I have?

The RMA service from CDW includes on-site hardware replacement, through a third-party company. I don't think CDW has people in-house who do it. We've had pretty good luck with that so far. There have been a few issues with getting our equipment to them, getting them out there on-site, but nothing that has caused us a problem so far.

Overall, CDW is doing a super job. We're happy with them.

Mikkail Montgomery
IS Systems/Network Administrator at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Resolved show-stopper issues in our Cisco environment much faster than I could have alone
  • "One aspect of the service that is pretty important is that CDW takes ownership of the support relationship and case management. It's nice to have one guy to deal with, instead of the shift-work support that you get with SMARTnet. It's a more personal support experience."

What is our primary use case?

I turned to CDW because I was looking for support similar to Cisco SMARTnet, but with even a little bit more support. I wanted someone with expertise in the equipment and the situation I was dealing with and someone who was more local.

The platforms that are supported by CTS are Cisco's Unified Communications Manager (CallManager) as well as our firewalls and switches.

How has it helped my organization?

When I've run into show-stopping issues on our phone system, CDW has been able to help me resolve the issues quicker than had I just reached out to SMARTnet by myself. It was probably 100 percent faster and that faster resolution resulted in reduced downtime.

Knowing that CDW's team stays fully engaged until issues are completely resolved has made things a bit smoother when we've had a problem.

What is most valuable?

One aspect of the service that is pretty important is that CDW takes ownership of the support relationship and case management. It's nice to have one guy to deal with, instead of the shift-work support that you get with SMARTnet. It's a more personal support experience.

The fact that CTS includes OEM escalation is also important because sometimes they do need to reach out to the hardware manufacturer regarding a specific patch or the like.

I have been using CDW Technology Support for about two years.

We're about to expand our usage of Microsoft 365 and Azure, so we may be expanding our use of CDW for that as well, or even for transitioning as we move away from some of our Cisco platform into Office 365.

They have met my expectations in terms of the services being delivered on time, on budget, and on spec.

I was purchasing our SMARTnet agreements through CDW. The rep I went through mentioned that I might want to take advantage of the CTS service for pretty much the same price. By doing so, CDW basically owns the SMARTnet contracts on our behalf. Given that the price was one-to-one, between SMARTnet and CTS, it was an easy decision. I got a better level of support for the same price.

As soon as I had an agreement with CDW to use the service, I started using it immediately. The only thing I had to do was to create an account, but that was pretty easy. I just followed a link that my rep gave me, signed in, and it was great.

A few of my coworkers also engage with CDW, but I use it almost exclusively.

I don't really do ROI calculations, but I would imagine our ROI is better than had I gone with just the SMARTnet contracts alone, taking into account the time I would have had to spend on support cases if I didn't have CDW.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you're looking at supporting Cisco products with SMARTnet, CDW Technical Support is a no-brainer.

The only reason I don't want to rate it a nine or a full 10 out of 10, is simply that my usage of CTS is so rare. I probably use it once every three months or so. If I needed to interact more with the CTS team, there's a possibility I might come up with more issues or have a negative experience. But my experience with them is so infrequent that I can't really give them a higher score.

CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Leaderboard
    Helps escalate very complex support cases to the vendor
    • "CTS works 24/7. That's one of the most valuable aspects for me because if I need assistance for one of our clients, I need assistance now. It's also very important that CDW's service includes OEM escalation."
    • "CTS is very good for tier-one and tier-two problems. As soon as there's something really deep, something that is tier-three, it probably needs to be escalated to the vendor."

What is our primary use case?

Our company works with organizations providing managed service consulting. Our clients purchase Cisco SMARTnet and, for some reason, two or three years ago, they started purchasing SMARTnet from CDW, as opposed to directly from Cisco. If we need some help configuring or troubleshooting a Cisco environment, we use CDW to open the ticket with Cisco's TAC and to forward questions to Cisco. After that, I usually start working with the Cisco TAC engineers.

I have a number of Cisco certifications, including CCNP in wireless and networking. So generally, when I have to call someone, I am not calling with easy questions. For example, the last time I contacted CDW was for troubleshooting in a very specific area related to Apple devices and Cisco. I did not expect that CDW would be able to troubleshoot it. Engineers from Apple and Cisco were involved and there was really a lot of troubleshooting until we finally found the issue, which was a problem with Apple.

How has it helped my organization?

Whenever I get a call from a customer about troubleshooting voice problems, I get CDW to help me. And if my questions are beyond the expertise of CDW's engineers, they escalate questions to Cisco TAC. And sometimes there is an emergency and we really need to resolve something. In that type of case, where my manager is pushing me, I request an escalation from CDW.

We call CTS only when we are not able to proceed by ourselves. It's usually a tier-three issue, not something simple. Our engineering group has a lot of people with various certificates and we work independently most of the time. But when there is something really hard, we call CTS and it's usually escalated to the vendor.

What is most valuable?

CTS works 24/7. That's one of the most valuable aspects for me because if I need assistance for one of our clients, I need assistance now. It's also very important that CDW's service includes OEM escalation.

Also, the fact that CTS has many other OEMs on its roadmap is important because in that recent case I mentioned, there was a problem involving Cisco and Apple. Although CTS was involved locally before escalation to the vendor, even if they didn't have a support relationship with one of the vendors, it's helpful that they try to speak with that vendor and with people who know the technology involved better than me.

What needs improvement?

We have been using CDW Technology Support for two to three years.

I usually get service the next day. But I personally know many people from the CDW project management side, the sales guys, and the engineers. There are a lot of personal relationships. Overall, I've been working with CDW for about 15 years.

We started working with CTS because one or two of our big clients were using CDW. We generally prefer to work directly with the vendor without anybody between us.

What other advice do I have?

If you have people who don't really know what they're doing, who are not experts and don't have a lot of experience with your technology, CDW Technical support is a definite "yes." But if you have people with a lot of experience and they come across really deep problems, CTS is probably not what you want. In that case, you probably want your people to go directly to the vendor.

CDW engineers are very professional, no questions asked. I don't have any complaints. I personally know the engineers who are working on the cases. They are really perfect guys. They give 100 percent.