IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

CA File Master Plus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is CA File Master Plus?

CA File Master Plus is designed to streamline data assets and procedures, improve the accuracy of your mainframe data, reduce the time and effort associated with test file editing and data creation as well as reduce training costs.

This Application and Testing Tools solution is a file management and data manipulation tool architected to speed test file creation and editing for virtual storage access method (VSAM), sequential and partitioned datasets. With the ability to visually browse and edit data, you can respond quickly to problems that may arise and make accurate changes on the fly.

It also enables you to issue commands in batch, handily compare multiple file versions and filter your datasets with precision. To save your IT organization time and money, CA File Master Plus helps your team:

• Create more consistent and accurate test data.
  • Find and fix problems more quickly.
CA File Master Plus Customers

Blue Hill Data Services

CA File Master Plus Video

Archived CA File Master Plus Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user847152 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Enterprise and Mainframe Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Eases manageability of data, gives us better efficiency on our batch run
  • "Provides ease of use, ease of manageability, and ease of managing DSN files."
  • "They need to keep coming out with new features, and new releases. There hasn't been a new release in a while."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for doing final file maintenance.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easier to do basic tasks; ease of manageability of data. It also gives us better efficiency on our batch run and our day-to-day. In terms of meeting business challenges, it's more of a productivity tool. It makes our data easier to manage.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use Ease of manageability Ease of managing DSN files.

What needs improvement?

I would say just keep developing it, keep coming out with new features, and new releases. There hasn't been a new release in a while.

More than five years.

Stability is a 10 out of 10.

Scalability is a 10 out of 10.

Tech support is a 10-plus out of 10. They're great.

The company had it before I was hired.

It's one of the simplest products to set up.

The pricing is good value.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you get the right training, and utilize the CA's tech support.
Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
We use it together with Grid Tools to mask IMS data. However, it cannot handle IMS Sysplex.
  • "We use it together with Grid Tools to mask IMS data."
  • "​CA File Master cannot handle IMS Sysplex.​"
  • "For any change to CA File Master, we need a system programmer, which makes the change process very time consuming​."
  • "The setup is quite complex. We needed a system programmer for the initial setup."

What is our primary use case?

We use it together with Grid Tools to mask IMS data.

How has it helped my organization?

CA File Master handles IMS data (together with Grid Tools), which we can use to mask/privatize our data then store on IMS databases.

Together with Grid Tools:

1. We can mask/privatize the IMS data.
  2. We use CA File Master to extract the IMS data.
  3. Grid Tools to mask them.
  4. CA File Master to load back them to IMS databases.

What is most valuable?

The extract from/load to IMS database. We need these extract and load IMS for masking/privatization of data.

What needs improvement?

CA File Master cannot handle IMS Sysplex.

I would rate stability as an eight out of 10.

I would rate scalability as an eight out of 10.

I would rate technical support as a nine out of 10.

We previously used File-AID. However, File-AID masking is not as good as Grid Tools.

We sought out this solution because we needed a masking solution for our data (IMS, DB2, and others).

For any change to CA File Master, we need a system programmer, which makes the change process very time consuming.

it_user809958 - PeerSpot reviewer
First Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Enables us to quickly investigate, fix problems related to our application data

What is our primary use case?

Use it to browse and investigate application data in VSAM files.

How has it helped my organization?

Makes it quick to investigate/fix problems related to application data. Our business can get back to normal operations in short order.

What is most valuable?

Browse and utilities. Easy to use. When we have a new business process/product, and we have complex batch jobs, this tool supports us completely.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it took less CPU time.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I would rate technical support from eight to 10 out of 10. It depends on the complex of the problems.

We didn't have a previous solution, but we needed something that was easy to use.

It's easy to setup/install.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to use/install.