IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

AWS AppSync OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS AppSync is #15 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools. PeerSpot users give AWS AppSync an average rating of 10 out of 10. AWS AppSync is most commonly compared to Oracle Integration Cloud Service: AWS AppSync vs Oracle Integration Cloud Service. AWS AppSync is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Cloud Data Integration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is AWS AppSync?

AWS AppSync simplifies application development by letting you create a flexible API to securely access, manipulate, and combine data from one or more data sources. AppSync is a managed service that uses GraphQL to make it easy for applications to get exactly the data they need.

With AppSync, you can build scalable applications, including those requiring real-time updates, on a range of data sources such as NoSQL data stores, relational databases, HTTP APIs, and your custom data sources with AWS Lambda. For mobile and web apps, AppSync additionally provides local data access when devices go offline, and data synchronization with customizable conflict resolution, when they are back online.

AWS AppSync was previously known as AppSync.

AWS AppSync Customers
ACBL, Puresec, IDT, ASU, Public Good, cookpad, ALDO, ticketmaster
AWS AppSync Video

AWS AppSync Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS AppSync pricing:
"Licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis, and it is a pay-as-you-go model."

AWS AppSync Reviews

CTO and Managing Director at Naks Digital consulting
Innovative, works well with GraphQL, and can connect to any type of data source
  • "Support for multiple data sources and formats is a fantastic feature."
  • "Moving to other clouds is impossible without significantly rearchitecting your applications."

What is our primary use case?

We require our frontend and multiple frontends to communicate with the backend via GraphQL. GraphQL, provides a lot of flexibility in terms of data retrieval and data manipulation, allowing you to get exactly the data you need, nothing more, nothing less.  We require our frontend, mobile or web frontend to communicate with the backend, and many other APIs through GraphQL. At that level, AppSync, like an API gateway, is capable of sourcing data from multiple data sources. It can provide you with the GraphQL endpoint. As a result, you won't have to write any additional backend code. Transitioning from a server-based to a serverless architecture is relatively simple, and very fast.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to connect to virtually any type of data source, whether it's a database, an API, or an old-school XML-based data source.  Support for multiple data sources and formats is a fantastic feature. I believe it is adequate, and I would say that it is a very innovative solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the ability to run AppSync on-premises. It is entirely AWS at the moment. If you wanted to switch from AWS to Google Cloud or Azure, you can't. You are experiencing significant vendor lock-in. Moving to other clouds is impossible without significantly rearchitecting your applications.

I have been working with AWS AppSync for six years. We are working with the most recent version.
Cloud Data Integration
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Zapier, MuleSoft and others in Cloud Data Integration. Updated: June 2022.
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

AWS AppSync is a stable solution.

Although AWS AppSync is scalable, it does have some performance limitations. We don't have many users right now. It would be close to 100 users, which isn't too many. However, we will be launching our product very soon. We anticipate that the number of users will increase to a couple of hundred.

We did not need to contact AWS support. I am unable to comment. However, in general, AWS's technical support is excellent. So I'm not going to complain.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The implementation was completed by an in-house team. There is almost no maintenance. The developer's skillset alone needs to be good enough. It requires some expertise. Not everyone can use it without learning.

Licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis, and it is a pay-as-you-go model. Fees are paid per usage. There are no fixed costs. They won't charge us anything if we don't use it.

What other advice do I have?

People who are using other clouds will be unable to use them. However, it can be used by those with GraphQL. It is relevant to those considering serverless architecture.  It is not a great fit for someone with a server-based backend they will find it difficult to adapt, and it will increase their maintenance overhead. I would rate AWS AppSync a nine out of ten.

Download our free Cloud Data Integration Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Zapier, MuleSoft, and more!
Updated: June 2022