vRealize Business for Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vRealize Business for Cloud is the #7 ranked solution in top Cloud Cost Management tools. PeerSpot users give vRealize Business for Cloud an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. vRealize Business for Cloud is most commonly compared to CloudHealth: vRealize Business for Cloud vs CloudHealth. vRealize Business for Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Cloud Cost Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is vRealize Business for Cloud?
VMware IT Business Management Suite offers in three editions: Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise. VMware IT Business Management Suite provides transparency and control over the cost and quality of IT services. By providing a business context to the services IT offers, IT Business Management helps IT organizations shift from a technology orientation to a service broker orientation, delivering a portfolio of IT services that align with the needs of line of business stakeholders. With benchmarks providing objective evidence, IT Business Management also provides the fact-based approach needed to minimize the cost of IT while maximizing the value IT delivers to its customers. Greater transparency and alignment, and the continuous improvement of IT services they enable, support IT as it seeks to develop competitive advantage through major IT transformation initiatives such as cloud, mobility and data center modernization.

vRealize Business for Cloud was previously known as VMware IT Business Management Suite, VMware ITBM, IT Business Management Suite, Digital Fuel.

vRealize Business for Cloud Customers
Rent-A-Center, SAIC - (Science Applications International Corporation), Tribune Media, iGATE, EMC, Deutsche Telekom, GEFCO, Banca Ifis
vRealize Business for Cloud Video

vRealize Business for Cloud Reviews

Solutions Architect and project manager at MIB leipzig
Complete solution for automation, orchestration, and end-to-end lifecycle management
  • "It doesn't take long to develop an automation blueprint. You need about half an hour, and then you can install or deploy it on several systems. That was our first great advantage in the project because we urgently needed to deploy across many different systems."
  • "It's not always easy to find the information you need. You must have a lot of technical experience to find the right location for what you're implementing within the program."

What is our primary use case?

We use vRealize for automation, orchestration, and lifecycle management. Those are the three main components of version 8. The solution is deployed on premises at the local data center. I'm deploying it for licensing companies. So I have a contract with the customer before this is deployed within the customer environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The customer is using for example a Citrix workplace environment. So, with the pandemic, there are some situations where the customer needs all his staff in one meeting. All of the team must be working remotely online in the customer environment, which increases the data center's resource requirements.

So we have scheduled automation to allow the customer to set up the meeting. Let's say on Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., we will have a meeting with 1,000 colleagues. The system will automatically deploy Citrix systems and list them on the central Citrix server. And after the meeting, the system will delete the Citrix servers, then free up the resources for standard applications.

Integration is straightforward, but it's a lot of work. First, you have to implement scripts to communicate with the Citrix environment, but that's relatively easy. And then, the customer can do it with one or two clicks. For example, say we need a Citrix server for an additional 1,000 users on Friday at 10 a.m. The resources on the Citrix server will be deployed and be there on Friday at 10. No problem. And when the meeting stops at noon or 2 p.m., the resources will be freed up for other things.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is automation. With the automation, you can easily and quickly implement it by deploying gnashing on virtual environments. It doesn't take long to develop an automation blueprint. You need about half an hour, and then you can install or deploy it on several systems. That was our first great advantage in the project because we urgently needed to deploy across many different systems. So automation helps us to do our work quickly and easily.

VMware vRealize has standardized systems for doing work after the deployment. First, you have to set up the language on the system itself. Then there are vRealize's orchestration features. You can implement code in your deployment script to do this configuration automatically. So the orchestrator is a beneficial component. With this, you can implement automatic language selection and automated integration. In other systems, you can implement a multi-blueprint or multi-system environment to deploy the entire database environment and applications on this database with one click.

The lifecycle manager is also essential. In version 7.5, you must provide a dir example username and password to access the Citrix server and controller.  What's more, you have to include this in your script or your code. But in version 8, you can provide the username and password or store them in the lifecycle manager. So then you can pick it up from there. And that's the only location where you have to change the password. You don't have to change it in every script. That's a massive improvement in version 8.

What needs improvement?

It's not always easy to find the information you need. You must have a lot of technical experience to find the right location for what you're implementing within the program.

Cloud Cost Management
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Nutanix, IBM and others in Cloud Cost Management. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using vRealize for two years.

Generally, vRealize is stable. We had one or two problems accessing a component, but they were solved, and we haven't had the same issues since. So I think it's stable.

VMware vRealize is highly scalable. You can integrate a lot of other cloud solutions with the automation path or configuration path. You can set up tons of servers, and that can be a huge environment.

Needs vary from system to system, and if we run into problems, we need VM support. If you have the right guys on the phone and you give the correct information, we get the right solutions and workarounds. etc. They've handled each problem we had in one or two business days. No problem.

There was no cloud solution in production before vRealize. But I'm aware of one other cloud solution because I formerly worked for a huge Hardware and software Company and this has a cloud solution. We had some major IT provider as a customer when we first started using cloud solutions. It wasn't easy to integrate 3rd party solutions. I was on the steering committee meetings and we had a discussion with that customer about for example integrating Citrix in this cloud solution. It was unbelievable. And here, we realized it was so easy. But maybe we had the right staff now in the project. It depends on your personnel.

VMware vRealize is a cloud solution that you can implement with a list of rudimentary paths in one day. So it's effortless. It's specially programmed there, but you can only also include Hyper-V from Windows. There are a lot of parts where you will have to configure things. We implemented the blueprints for the automation part of the solution very quickly. That was like prototyping the deployment. So, we installed the solution and made the first blueprint. The blueprint is the name of the machine template. You can quickly build your first machine templates to deploy the system. That was the prototyping part. And in the second part, we improved the behavior of this blueprint with more orchestrator functionality. So, it was an agile prototyping-based deployment.

It takes two or three staff members to deploy. There was a convergence of different teams who deployed the solution. Another person can deploy the server if necessary, and I deployed on-premise if the customer required that. And after the deployment, the IT staff should manage and maintain the solution. They should transition from vendor deployment of systems. They were working on that when I left the project — to integrate the whole IT infrastructure in the cloud solution.

We had one external consultant from ITQ. I think ITQ is one of the leading companies for vRealize and cloud applications. My experience with ITQ was good. I would take advantage of their services every time I could. They were experienced and prepared for each setup meeting. It was very straightforward. They presented more than one solution to us. Then we chose the right path. We also had some options to upgrade, and with help from the ITQ consultant, it was quick and easy.

We've seen an increased ROI. Say the customer is growing from 20 hardware-based servers to 150, and they're doing this within a short time. We wouldn't be able to implement all the virtual systems in this environment if we didn't have the cloud solution in place. So implementing Windows works quickly and shortly.

But the task was to integrate the word IT in this solution. Let's say a customer had two IT environments, and we had a new server all integrated into the vRealize environment with all the possibilities of the vRealize suite. And in the other environment, we had to extend the customer's critical applications in an old-fashioned way — we implemented a virtual device server by heading, let's say.

VMWare vRealize is price-intensive. But we have had good meetings with VMware and have set up an enterprise agreement for the customers with VMware. At the same time, the pricing is per CPU, and it's price intensive.

We have evaluated an open-source option called OpenStack. However, we decided not to use OpenStack because staffing demands were too high. It's currently hard to find the right staff on the market. So we decided to use a complete solution and not an OpenStack solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vRealize nine out of 10. For anyone thinking about adopting vRealize, I suggest that you get the right team for the project. You need professional, experienced people. That's my advice. In my personal experience, I needed somebody on the project to translate the CIO requirements into the vRealize techniques. That's the most important thing.

So I have project teams where the technical guys ask the customers what to implement, and the customers aren't familiar with the solution. Then we had a deadlock. Many software components are bought but never implemented because this situation cannot be resolved. So you need somebody who could translate the requirements, and you need the right staff for implementation.

Download our free Cloud Cost Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Nutanix, IBM, and more!
Updated: November 2022