IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Google Anthos OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Anthos is #4 ranked solution in top Hybrid Cloud Computing Platforms. PeerSpot users give Google Anthos an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Google Anthos is most commonly compared to AWS Outposts: Google Anthos vs AWS Outposts. Google Anthos is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Google Anthos?

Anthos lets you build and manage modern hybrid applications on existing on-premises investments or in the public cloud. Built on open source technologies pioneered by Google - including Kubernetes, Istio, and Knative - Anthos enables consistency between on-premises and cloud environments. Anthos helps accelerate application development and strategically enable your business with transformational technologies like service mesh, containers, and microservices.

Google Anthos Customers

HSBC, Target, 20th Century Fox, Twitter, American Cancer Society, PayPal, Bloomberg, Nielsen, McKesson

Google Anthos Video

Google Anthos Reviews

AlbertoPascoe - PeerSpot reviewer
Independent consultant at Freelance
Quick time to market; great return on investment
  • "The Google Anthos feature I find the most valuable is the easy of use. In Google Anthos, you don't need to move along too many screens and so on. The interface is really helpful and understanding of the tool comes easily."
  • "The initial Google Anthos setup is not easy. Nothing is truly easy in the Google Anthos world."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use Google Anthos in two situations. The first one is cloud management itself, particularly for managing all the user IM roles and so on and also using and delivering network components. The second situation in which I used Google Anthos was in the application sphere, for connecting companies from both networks and managing resources.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Indra, I was the CTO of DXC Technology for a time and one of our clients was a CPE company in Costa Rica. They needed to move their applications from the legacy space to a hybrid network configuration. So they decided for GCP for corporate reasons, but they were trying to figure out how to select the second public network and continue working with a private network like the one they already have. I think that they started with Red Hat but eventually landed on Google Anthos and CPE technology.

The business plan we defined with the client was good in terms of the return on the investment and the time to market for the project.

What is most valuable?

The Google Anthos feature I find the most valuable is the easy of use. In Google Anthos, you don't need to move along too many screens and so on. The interface is really helpful and understanding of the tool comes easily.

What needs improvement?

Now everything is always changing and getting more performance and getting better and I think that, this is my sense of the answer, I mean, everything is working well, comparing with other products. I don't remember any kind of set down of course or something like that I can mention. That's my understanding, yeah.

The Google Anthos business model could improve. As I understand, Google Anthos is not an internal part of the ecosystem. In fact, the Google sales effort and technical team are separated. In other words, the DCP was not voluntarily talking to the GCP. For example, if you need to talk to someone inside GCP about the connection or the integration with Anthos, the person who can help you is not in GCP. You would need to speak with someone inside Google. From the client perspective, this is not good. Overall, the management of the solution could be improved.

The initial Google Anthos setup could be improved.

I have some five years of experience with Google Anthos. My major relationship with Google in the recent past was as an end partner. I was the architect of some solutions using Anthos and other products from Google. As an independent consultant, I made some MVPs and POCs using some of those products also.

Google Anthos is stable.

As Google Anthos is in the cloud, scalability is guaranteed.

Support inside Google for Google Anthos is really good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial Google Anthos setup is not easy. Nothing is truly easy in the Google Anthos world. However, as the product has been migrating recently, I think that the process has been improving and I think it seems to be good at the root.

I don't have the precise numbers, but we did have a return on investment with Google Anthos. On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would give them a four overall for return on investment.

As far as pricing goes, it is better to buy GCP and Google Anthos as part of a package. You can get a better deal that way.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for those looking to implement the solution is this: Be sure you understand the compromise you will be making with Google in terms of the lack of coordination between DCP and GCP.

On a scale of one to 10, with one being the worst and 10 being the best, I would give this solution a nine for overall performance. It was the first product that I saw on the market that truly covered the situation of a multi-cloud architecture or a hybrid architecture.

Hybrid Cloud