We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

IBM InfoSphere Optim OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM InfoSphere Optim is #20 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give IBM InfoSphere Optim an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM InfoSphere Optim is most commonly compared to Informatica Data Archive: IBM InfoSphere Optim vs Informatica Data Archive. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 39% of all views.
What is IBM InfoSphere Optim?
IBM Optim solutions manage data from requirements to retirement. They boost performance, empower collaboration, and improve governance across applications, databases and platforms. By managing data properly over its lifetime, organisations are better equipped to support business goals with less risk.

IBM InfoSphere Optim was previously known as IBM Optim, Optim.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

IBM InfoSphere Optim Customers
Durham Police Department, Coca-Cola Enterprises Inc., Continental, KCE Electronics Public Company Limited, The University of Adelaide, Migros Zurich, COPROB
IBM InfoSphere Optim Video

IBM InfoSphere Optim Reviews

Project Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Very supportive of Db2 and easy to customize, but IMS features are not user friendly and the support of these features is lacking
  • "I feel the solution to be a bit faster than the traditional methods, which makes it easy to customize."
  • "While the solution is very supportive of Db2, it is not so friendly when it comes to IMS databases."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for refreshing the data, one of the two types being a bulk refresh, which is an exact replica of what there is in production. We subset the data based on business needs, not on theta production volume. We also use the solution to mask specific PA data, such as the SSN's address, data work and phone number. We also deal with master data.

What is most valuable?

I feel the solution to be a bit faster than the traditional methods, which makes it easy to customize. This is because it is very easy to tailor to one's requirements,  instead of needing to write the sequels. Even when it comes to the process, we find the solution to be faster than those involving traditional methods.

What needs improvement?

We work on two different types of databases, one being IMS and the other Db2. While the solution is very supportive of Db2, it is not so friendly when it comes to IMS databases.

When we had questions for the support team conerning the IMS database, we found their knowledge to be lacking, likely owing to lack of experience on their part.

I would not say that the initial setup is complex. Neither would I say that it is straightforward. Certain features require technical knowledge.

I have been using IBM InfoSphere Optim for the last three years.

While we have only been using the solution for the past three years, I have yet to encounter any issues with it. So far, it has proven itself to be stable.

As we have only been dealing with the solution for the last three years, I am not in a position to comment on its scalability. We have not made much of an increase in the data volume or data basis.

We contacted Optim tech support for several issues concerning the initial setup. While we found them to be very supportive with all Db2-related issues, their knowledge and, likely, experience was lacking as regards those relating to IMS.

We did not use a different solution prior to the current one. Beforehand, manual use was employed.

We are talking about a good tool. It is neither straightforward nor complex and certain features require technical knowledge. Once the initial setup has been taken care of, the solution is fairly straightforward.

The initial deployment lasted nearly half a year.

There are only two or three people involved in the maintenance and management of the solution. This is handled by actual developers who are responsible for the refresh.

I am not familiar with the licensing terms.

What other advice do I have?

Only a few people use the solution, but the consumptive output numbers nearly 200 resources.

Going forward, we wish to use the solution for all future data researches and data masking.

I rate IBM InfoSphere Optim as a seven out of ten.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Informatica, Oracle, and more!