IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM SoftLayer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM SoftLayer is #16 ranked solution in top Public Cloud Storage Services. PeerSpot users give IBM SoftLayer an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. IBM SoftLayer is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: IBM SoftLayer vs Amazon AWS. IBM SoftLayer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.

Download the Public Cloud Storage Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM SoftLayer?

SoftLayer provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. Our customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.

Products and services include bare metal and virtual servers, networking, turnkey big data solutions, private cloud solutions, and more. Our unique advantages include the industry's first Network-Within-a-Network topology for true out-of-band access, and an easy-to-use customer portal and robust API for full remote-access of all product and service management options.

IBM SoftLayer was previously known as CloudLayer.

IBM SoftLayer Customers

Whogohost Ltd., Skypicker, Infinity Computers and Communications Company, Grace Co. Ltd., Keyword, Uvionics Tech, Tennis Australia, immixGroup, Salesbox, Cxense ASA, Avnet Inc., Komsomolskaya Pravda, Seekr

IBM SoftLayer Video

IBM SoftLayer Reviews

Global Principal Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with excellent speed and agility
  • "The ELT versus ETL extract, transform and load versus extract, load, and then transform, the ELT method is what really sells SoftLayer."
  • "For us, the versioning was an issue."

What is our primary use case?

The legacy, big iron software packages are being hosted in Cloud forms. The customer's need is to get to the cloud quickly and then do the transformation work afterward. There's just too much custom code in the big iron to go through a transformation first. That's why this product is needed.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is simply to have the ability to host in a cloud form and out of the data center - the IBM big iron solution.

It's the speed and the agility that really sell SoftLayer. The ELT versus ETL extract, transform and load versus extract, load, and then transform, the ELT method is what really sells SoftLayer. The ability to extract act from your current location, load into your future location, with limited change, and then be able to take the transfer actions slowly and methodically after you're in your new location is the part that really makes this awesome.

The stability and scalability are quite good.

What needs improvement?

For us, the versioning was an issue. There were some compatibility issues between what the customer had on-site and what the lowest available SoftLayer was. There was some compatibility that they had to work through before they migrated. That was the biggest challenge.

They do not have a whole lot that they can change. It's already a good product. It fits in the market. It's a niche solution for a very specific use case. It's good at what it does, however, I don't think it's going to take over anything else, being as niche as it is.

I've been using the solution for 18 months.

Public Cloud Storage Services
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Oracle and others in Public Cloud Storage Services. Updated: July 2022.
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's Big Blue. It's IBM. It's a very stable product as IBM is known for its stability.

The solution scales well.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

The initial setup is a bit complex. it's best to have a professional on-hand.

I would advise those considering the solution first to get a technical consultant firm to help with the load process.

I don't handle the licensing aspect of the solution. I can't speak to the exact cost of the product. I'd have to go and look online.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version number of the solution we're using.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. IBM Software is the only thing that does what it does.

Download our free Public Cloud Storage Services Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Oracle, and more!
Updated: July 2022