We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
STEVEN JAMAL
Enterprise Engineer at Computech Limited
An extremely significant time saver for our employees
  • "It allows for both support and communication at the same time."
  • "When sharing a screen, it's only dedicated to one particular window, not multiple windows"

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our engineers who spend some of their time working remotely. For now we have four people in the company using the solution but we're in the process of encouraging use of the solution for our customers who need support so they will no longer need to go to customer sites. The main reason is that when it gets to the level of engineering, we need to dedicate a particular team to do the remote support and they need to work on something which can be used easily at any time. I'm an enterprise engineer and we're a customer of Zoom.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature of Zoom is that it's easy to setup and is very user friendly. It allows for both support and communication at the same time.

What needs improvement?

The only limitation is that when you're sharing your screen, it's only dedicated to one particular window, not multiple windows, as opposed to Teamviewer where you can have the entire environment and access the laptop rather than sharing a window.

I've used the solution for 18 months.

I find it more stable than other products such as AnyDesk or Teamviewer.

It's a scalable solution.

I haven't needed technical support because it was easy for me to navigate through and find what I was looking for. It is self-explanatory. If you want a meeting, you look for a meeting. If you want support, you go for support and it's open, transparent.

Initial setup is very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to create an awareness of the product and its uses to customers because most customers over here don't understand what Zoom is. This is not only for meetings but for our technical support. It saves us so much time not having to travel great distances.

It's straightforward and very easy to implement. It doesn't need any dedicated process to install or to configure. All you need is just an email account or a Facebook account and you're good to go.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Research Assistant at a performing arts with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good video quality and screen recording, but the 40-minute time limit is too short
  • "The most valuable feature is the screen recording."
  • "I found it very confusing to set up a meeting."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom to have weekly team meetings. These are informal meetings for a software development group.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the screen recording.

What needs improvement?

Zoom should provide online storage where we can send and share documents with people in our meeting.

Zoom is not totally free, which is one of the reasons that I don't choose to use it.

I found it very confusing to set up a meeting.

I was only able to host meetings that were 40 minutes long, which was not enough time. That duration was not long enough for the topics that we needed to cover.

I would like to see a chat function for messaging outside of video conferencing.

Privacy needs to be improved because when you download a meeting transcript after it is complete, even the private chat of other users is visible.

I have been using Zoom for about four months.

Zoom is stable for video but I have had trouble with hearing the voice. This could have been related to my network.

Our meetings normally have 12 users.

I have never contacted technical support. If I have a problem then I just switch software, rather than spend the time speaking with support.

I have now switched to using WeChat instead of Zoom for most things, other than my weekly team meetings. First, WeChat is totally free. Also, with the enterprise version, we are able to share documents while we're sharing screens. It has quite a bit of storage that we can use to upload material.

Most of the students in my school have WeChat and when we have a meeting, a notification is sent. It's quite convenient. WeChat is better designed for Chinese users and it takes their habits into account.

WeChat has a scheduling feature where people can see my calendar, which is very important for setting up meetings.

The cost of Zoom has led me to use WeChat, instead.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,304 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Manager at RP Sanjiv Goenka Group
Easy to set up, hosts remote meetings well, and is very stable
  • "The initial setup is quick and easy."
  • "Zoom could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for holding virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good for remote, virtual meetings.

The solution is quite stable.

The scalability is good.

The initial setup is quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

Zoom could be more secure. In one of the meetings, we found out the meeting was automatically getting recorded. That's not good.

There are certain things that could definitely be avoided.

I've been using the solution for a few years.

The stability overall is pretty good. There aren't really bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

I've found the solution to be very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

Typically, we use Zoom if a vendor wants to. For example, if somebody sends across their meeting request via Zoom, we will use that. As far as our organization's users are concerned, it's used much less. We have 200 to 500 people that use it internally. Not more than that.

We don't plan to increase usage, as we already use WebEx, and we prefer not to double up on virtual meeting platforms.

I've never contacted Zoom's technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are in general.

I'm also using WebEx. We use Zoom and WebEx in parallel. We also have used Google Meet.

We tend to use Zoom when our vendors set up the meeting and it is something they prefer. When we set up meetings ourselves, we tend to use either WebEx or Google Meet.

As a cloud-based solution, the installation is very simple and straightforward. it's easy. It's not difficult.

The deployment just takes a few minutes.

We do not have any subscriptions with Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud-based solution, we are always on the latest version.

I'd rate the product at a seven out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Graeme Trevayne
Managing Consultant at Coeus Consulting
Easy to set up, the breakout rooms are useful, and setting up a meeting is easy with the Mozilla plug-in
  • "The Mozilla extension is useful to schedule meetings."
  • "It is difficult to see and control whether you're muted or not, so the interface should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom for keeping in touch with friends in the UK. We've done a virtual open-mic concert and also done virtual pop-quizzes on it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the breakout room, which we found useful for the pop quiz.

The Mozilla extension is useful to schedule meetings.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to see and control whether you're muted or not, so the interface should be improved.

When people are messaging, often they accidentally message the entire group rather than a single person. This is something else that can be made more clear.

Security is a concern with this product, so I would not do anything commercial using it. The need to work on their reputation as far as security goes.

I started using Zoom about two weeks ago.

The stability is fine and we haven't had any issues. However, many people aren't convinced that it's robust enough to be a corporate tool at the moment.

It can handle lots of users.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

We tried to use Skype, but the problem with Skype is that it doesn't work on Apple Macs. It says that it does, but it never logs in. Because of this, we had to find an alternative.

We use Microsoft Teams for work-related communication, whereas I use Zoom for personal conferencing. I would say that Microsoft Teams is a little more corporate, as you need to have a Microsoft account.

It was easy enough to set up.

I have been using the free version of Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Zoom is that it is ok for social use. It's easy to use and it supports a lot of users. It is easy to set up as a free service.

Sahil Vijay
Senior Oracle Analytics Cloud Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
In-meeting whiteboard, good recording capabilities, and does not require installation
  • "Zoom helps us because it provides a whiteboard during the meeting. This is a very good feature."
  • "The interface requires some slight improvement in that it could better show the meeting attendees."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom for our virtual meetings. Specifically, whenever we require a face-to-face meeting, or screen sharing, or content sharing during the meeting, we use Zoom.

What is most valuable?

Zoom helps us because it provides a whiteboard during the meeting. This is a very good feature. Most of the time, we have to show flow diagrams during our meetings and the whiteboard is helpful in this regard.

We can save a recording of each of our meetings.

What needs improvement?

The interface requires some slight improvement in that it could better show the meeting attendees. Essentially, the interface could be more user-friendly.

I have been using Zoom for approximately a year and a half.

Zoom is used extensively and it is quite stable. Currently, all of the employees in the organization use it, almost on a daily basis.

This is a scalable solution. We have nearly 10,000 users and if our headcount increases, our usage of Zoom will also increase.

When the users have problems, they do not reach out to Zoom's technical support directly. Rather, they reach out to the organization's technical support group. As such, I have never been in contact with Zoom.

We did not use another virtual meeting solution before implementing Zoom.

As a cloud-based product, it does not require installation.

It is similar to a subscription-based model where you get a login ID and password, and then you can utilize it.

Because it doesn't need to be installed, the technical team is not involved. Each user can do it by themself.

Zoom is licensed as a subscription model and it is available on a monthly or yearly basis.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I definitely recommend it for others who are interested in using it.

Lan Specialist at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, minimal configuration, and reliable
  • "Zoom is easy to use and does not require much network bandwidth. Additionally, it does not require a lot of configuration which is very good."
  • "The security of the solution could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom for meetings and patients get to see people, such as relatives who are in foreign countries.

How has it helped my organization?

We have some long-term care patients and they were able to use Zoom to talk to their relatives without having them come in to visit. This was beneficial during the Covid pandemic.

What is most valuable?

Zoom is easy to use and does not require much network bandwidth. Additionally, it does not require a lot of configuration which is very good.

It is a very simple product, the client launches well from the web browser, and it doesn't have a large number of features, but it doesn't really require it.

What needs improvement?

The security of the solution could improve.

I have been using Zoom for approximately three years.

The stability and reliability of the Zoom have been good. However, our systems have good bandwidth and I am not sure how it would operate with low bandwidth.

The scalability of the solution is good.

We have approximately 125 users using the solution in my organization.

I have never needed to contact support.

We have previously used WebEx. We pay for WebEx, but the product seems to be really configuration-heavy. It has better security, but it requires a lot of administrative work on our side. You have to configure a huge amount of ports and sites for the firewall, whereas, in Zoom, you don't have to do that much configuration.

The setup is simple and there is no maintenance required.

We are using the free version of Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is to make sure the ports are open for access.

I rate Zoom a nine out of ten.

I rate Zoom a nine because it's easy to use and setup doesn't require someone with technical knowledge to run it. I guess the interface is pretty intuitive because we haven't had any calls from the users once we opened it up.

OEM Medical & Defense Business Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, simple to use, and very stable
  • "It's got a simple, easy-to-understand user interface."
  • "There were some security issues early on, however, they have fixed the problem, and now it is fine."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

It's got a simple, easy-to-understand user interface.

The solution is stable.

The product scales well.

The installation is very easy.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across any missing features. It works well enough.

I've never had any issues with the product itself.

The solution could always use better performance.

I've been using this solution for two years now. It's been a while.

The stability is very good. It's reliable and works when you need it to. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

You can scale this solution. If you need to expand it, you can do so in order to incorporate more people.

We have a few thousand users that use the product in our company currently. It's pretty widely used.

I haven't had any issues with the product. Therefore, I've never spoken with technical support. I cannot comment on how helpful they would be, or how responsive due to never having dealt with them directly.

I also use Microsoft Teams, and I prefer using that over Zoom.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's quite straightforward and very simple. A user shouldn't have any problem with the process.

I can handle the implementation myself. I do not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant. The entire deployment is very quick.

I don't have any details in regards to the licensing or the general cost. It's not an aspect of the solution I deal with.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. I've mostly been happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to other users or organizations.

System support engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Works well, has a friendly user interface, and is stable
  • "Zoom is pretty safe and secure."
  • "While the communication and video-audio conferencing features on Zoom are excellent, unlike Microsoft Teams, there is no direct integration with SharePoint. For us, that is the disadvantage of Zoom."

What is our primary use case?

We only use the solution for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

Every time, it works. It works quite well when we need it to.

The solution has a very friendly user interface.

The communication and audio conferencing features are great.

Zoom is pretty safe and secure.

What needs improvement?

While the communication and video-audio conferencing features on Zoom are excellent, unlike Microsoft Teams, there is no direct integration with SharePoint. For us, that is the disadvantage of Zoom.

Zoom lacks integrations and many extra features. Microsoft Teams, on the other hand, has many features and integrates well with many Microsoft apps.

I've been using the solution for three years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability of the product is quite good. There are no bugs. It isn't glitchy. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's a reliable platform.

Many people in our organization use the product.

We haven't had any issues with the product. We've never really reached out to technical support directly.

We also use Microsoft Teams. However, Zoom is more user-friendly and has a better interface. The advantage of Teams is the integration with Sharepoint, which Zoom doesn't have.

Previous to these, we used Skype a lot.

The initial setup is pretty easy. It takes a little time. We did a deployment in our organization is six hours.

We were able to handle the implementation ourselves. We didn't need any integrators or consultants.

We pay Zoom a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud-based solution, I'm always on the latest version. I cannot speak to the exact version number I'm using right now.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations. We are happy with its capabilities. I'd rate it at a perfect ten out of ten.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.