We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Portfolio Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good user interface and has the ability to share screens but it may interfere with device settings
  • "I don't have any issue with the pricing."
  • "I don't know whose product is at fault, however, if you've ever had to go from Zoom to Teams to WebEx, it really messes around with your device settings."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for client meetings. In most cases, our customers are government customers. They're using the government version of Zoom.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is fine.

I don't have any issue with the pricing.

The technical support is okay.

It does offer collaboration. You can share your screen.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure how good the solution is for file sharing. However, that might not be the type of functionality you need for this type of project.

I don't know whose product is at fault, however, if you've ever had to go from Zoom to Teams to WebEx, it really messes around with your device settings. In the case of my microphone, I may have a USB microphone, and all of a sudden I'm using the microphone in my camera. Or my speakers, if they're plugged into my laptop, now all of a sudden those don't work. That's something that's kind of annoying. However, that might not be the fault of Zoom.

I haven't had any issues with technical support.

The company mainly uses Microsoft Teams. I only use Zoom for when a customer wants to have a meeting and they need to use Zoom.

We used to use WebEx, however, we don't really use it anymore.

The pricing of the solution is fine.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user.

I'd probably rate the solution at a seven and that is only due to the fact that we're a Microsoft shop, and we have a lot of Office 365. Our use of Teams is very integrated into the files that we create and store and access. Therefore, Zoom is not the most used product in our company.

Backend Infrastructure Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install, simple to use, and straightforward to access
  • "The installation process is very simple."
  • "I can't speak to any aspect that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for digital calls. I keep in touch with family and friends using it.

What is most valuable?

It's very simple to use.

The video conferencing is great and very easy to access.

It's helpful for sharing information and communication.

The installation process is very simple.

The stability is very good.

What needs improvement?

I can't speak to any aspect that needs improvement.

I've used the solution for about half a year at this point. It's been around six months.

The stability is great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I've never directly dealt with technical support from Zoom. I wouldn't be able to rate their services.

I've also used Skype.

While I typically use Zoom to cover my personal needs, my previous employer used Microsoft Teams and I'm pretty familiar with that solution as well.

The initial setup was straightforward and simple. I would rate the process at a five out of five for the level of the simplicity involved.

The process itself is relatively quick.

I was able to handle the implementation myself. It's not difficult. I did not need outside assistance.

I can't speak to the exact costs of the solution. It's not an aspect I dealt with.

What other advice do I have?

We have web-based access to the service.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm currently using.

I would recommend the product to others.

I'd rate the solution overall at an eight out of ten. It does what I need it to do.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use, scalable, and simple installation

What is our primary use case?

Zoom can be used for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

Zoom is mobile-ready and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The security and chat features should improve in Zoom.

I have been using Zoom for approximately two years.

Zoom is stable. However, in the time I have been using it I have only had trouble connecting to the server once. I think it might have been my internet connection. On another occasion using my mobile phone on the 4G network, not on Wi-Fi. I had some trouble with the network which caused some issues with Zoom but it was still pretty good.

I have found Zoom to…

What is our primary use case?

Zoom can be used for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

Zoom is mobile-ready and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The security and chat features should improve in Zoom.

I have been using Zoom for approximately two years.

I have found Zoom to be scalable. It's a very good solution. We have made huge teleconferences with a lot of people, and many video streams. During these pandemic times, I'm amazed at how this technology work and how these video streams work. We are talking about multiple video streams, not just one, not just two, but multiple video streams. This technology is amazing.

We have half the people in our organization using Zoom when we are doing projects.

I have not used technical support.

We are really relying on these technologies. I have used Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Slack.  They were really critical technologies during this pandemic.

Zoom is easy to install and you can install the client for Zoom on an iPhone or Android phone or PC.

There are paid and free personal accounts for Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, there are free accounts that make it useful for anyone.

I rate Zoom a nine out of ten.

Nathan Brookwood
Research Fellow at Insight 64
Great for remote meetings, helpful during social distancing and offers a free version
  • "There is a free version of the solution."
  • "They could improve security more."

What is most valuable?

The ability to hold remote meetings is helpful.

There is a free version of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution shouldn't charge so much for their services.

I'm always in favor of a lower price. That said, I find there's a big gap between the free version and the professional version. When I looked at what it would cost to be able to get the full version, I said, "Gee, that's too much." If there was something in between the free version and the least expensive paid version, I probably would have paid for it. I would've gone for that.

They could improve security more.

They should make it a little bit easier to use, in terms of screen-sharing. One of the problems I have is when I go into a screen-sharing mode, I don't see what the other people see. If I could have my screen synced with what was being shared and me, that would be better.

I've been using it for a couple of years, but my usage, like everybody else's really picked up with the COVID pandemic.

The solution can be pricey.

What other advice do I have?

I do use Zoom, but again, just as an ordinary consumer. I don't have any experience with the high end or professional version.

Normally when I would use it, it would be because some associate or organization I was dealing with was using Zoom in order to reach out to people like me. I didn't even realize until a few months ago, that Zoom charged in order to get a version that was capable of handling more than a few users. I always wondered how they made money.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Collin Cheong
Head of Credit Risk Management at IFS Capital
Good for internal communications, allows you to share screens, and is easy to setup
  • "The most valuable features are that you are able to share the screen, and draw on it."
  • "The time limitations for the free version should be increased from 40 minutes."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for normal web meetings. We use it for internal communication.

We have regular weekly meetings and for those who don't have to share any screens, we just call.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that you are able to share the screen, and draw on it.

What needs improvement?

The time limitations for the free version should be increased from 40 minutes. We do have an account but not enough to go around.

During the screen sharing, there is an option to zoom in. If they could add a feature where you could just drag if you wanted to zoom in or when you want to zoom out, that would be great.

I have been using the latest version of Zoom for three months.

The stability is acceptable. There are no serious issues.

It's relatively easy to scale zoom. You just get another ID.

We have 100 users.

We have not contacted technical support.

Previously, we did not use a different solution. We stared with Zoom.

The initial setup is relatively okay, but it's not as easy as Google Meet.

I did the installation myself, it took a couple of minutes.

We have an account but we are also using the free version.

What other advice do I have?

If you are interested in a free version, you should go with Google Meet because there is no time limit.

Sally Schilling
President at SystemLink
Popular, with a web-based interface, but does not support file sharing
  • "It's popular. Many people use it not only personally, but also in businesses."
  • "It would be useful to be able to share files with my colleagues."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom to communicate with colleagues and hold meetings with colleagues and clients.

What is most valuable?

It's popular. Many people use it not only personally, but also in businesses.

What needs improvement?

When you have a large group of people on Zoom, the focus becomes hazy. When there are larger groups, people can become easily distracted.

When you have 10 people and three or four of them are primarily engaged in the conversation, the rest of the group has ventured or wandered off. I am not sure if it's a complaint. It's simply a fact.

I would like to see better video quality, especially when it's being used by a large group of people using it.

I'm not aware of any file transfer capabilities with Zoom. It would be useful to be able to share files with my colleagues.

There are some things that we require that Zoom does not have.

I have been using Zoom for approximately one year.

Our company is small.

When we use Zoom, we may have one client and possibly another group of participants who are not affiliated with the organization.

Because we are in the software development and implementation business, we use other tools in addition to Zoom.

While we are on a call, we use Go to Assist, and Fast Support to track our time and transfer files.

We access it through the Zoom web application. We don't install it or publish it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Zoom a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Head of IT at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and has a straightforward installation
  • "I have found the product to be scalable."
  • "The pricing of the product could be lowered a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

I have found the product to be scalable.

The interface is great.

The dashboards are user-friendly.

Its installation is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I can't say I have seen areas that were lacking features or needed improvement. I'm overall very happy with the product.

The pricing of the product could be lowered a bit.

I've been using the solution for a few years.

The stability is great. The solution offers good reliability. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability of the solution has been good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We have 100 users on the solution currently.

I've never had to reach out to technical support. I can't speak to how responsive they are, or how helpful.

I also use Microsoft Teams.

The initial setup is not complex. It's not difficult. It's pretty simple and straightforward and simple. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup.

The licensing costs could be a bit better.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is cloud-based, meaning we are always on the latest solution.

I am satisfied with the solution overall.

I'd rate the solution at a solid eight out of ten.

I'm not sure if I would recommend Zoom to others. I'd likely recommend Microsoft Zoom instead.

Michael Kushner
Managing Partner & Founder at Dabahn
Easy to set up, simple to use, and very intuitive
  • "The setup is rather simple and straightforward."
  • "It's not really the fault of the product, however, the internet connectivity can sometimes be an issue."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for meeting with clients.

What is most valuable?

Zoom is very familiar. It's intuitive. It has all of the features you would expect from the other popular conferencing options.

It's easy to use.

The setup is rather simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The splitting of the speaker can be frustrating. When you're talking to folks from the presentation, being able to move them around to different screens would be useful. With Zoom, everyone stays on one screen.

We've used the solution for a while.

While we only have about 20 people that use Zoom, we have clients that have tens of thousands of users on the product.

The solution seems to be scalable. We haven't had any issues with scaling as needed. You can add or remove people easily.

I've never personally used technical support. I cannot say if they are helpful or responsive, having never spoken to them.

There are no issues with the initial setup. It's very easy. I wouldn't describe it as difficult or complex.

I don't even know what it costs. Someone takes care of that for us.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users. We don't have a partnership with Zoom.

We are using the most up-to-date version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It works well for us and we never have any issues. There are no complaints.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.