We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Intuitive platform but synchronization could be improved
  • "The feature I find the most about Zoom is that you can have a private chat in a group call."
  • "Zoom also has an issue with logins. For some reason, especially with institutional accounts, it is common to get kicked out and verification processes don't work all the time."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use cases for Zoom are work, school, and private calls. However, my private calls only go over Zoom if a lot of people need to be involved for things like birthday parties or something like that.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find the most about Zoom is that you can have a private chat in a group call.

What needs improvement?

The synchronization could be improved. However, synchronization is as much a connectivity issue as a software one. If they can somehow introduce a compression algorithm that could reduce the throughput necessary, that would probably alleviate a lot of the issues of the data of the network connection. However, overall, I think it's pretty good. I like lean products.

Zoom also has an issue with logins. For some reason, especially with institutional accounts, it is common to get kicked out and verification processes don't work all the time. This does depend on which device you have, what kind of operating system you are in, and if you switch operating systems. The migration of your account is actually pretty difficult and it is something that they should look at. The transferability between different environments is super important.

I have not had to contact Zoom's technical support.

The initial setup was easy for me. You go online and install it and it's done.

I have not paid a single cent ever for Zoom. However, I am paying with my data.

What other advice do I have?

Take 10 to 20 minutes to get to know the platform or ask someone to just walk you through it once. It's very intuitive if you know anything about technology.

Regional Councillor at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good screen sharing capability but is difficult to collaborate on the spot
  • "The screen sharing feature is valuable. It is easy to set up a meeting if you are on a call with a non Teams user if you need to do screen sharing."
  • "It is difficult to collaborate."

What is our primary use case?

Right now for meetings, we are using Zoom. We use it for video communications. Since the pandemic started we started using Zoom. Our first experience we had a problem with security. We got people bombing the meetings.

What is most valuable?

The screen sharing feature is valuable. It is easy to set up a meeting if you are on a call with a non Teams user if you need to do screen sharing. COVID-19 is showing us a new way to communicate, that everything doesn't have to be face to face meetings. And so the more you can really understand the capability of the software, the better you are.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to collaborate. You have to book a meeting first before being able to do anything. We have had experiences where the meeting has frozen. We had to shut it down and get back on again to keep going. Zoom has privacy issues and also stability issues. I would like to see integrations into other applications. It would be nice to have multiple people be able to collaborate on the same screen.

We have been using Zoom for three or four months. Since the Pandemic started.

I would much rather be using Teams and be able to dial up anybody. With Teams, you can collaborate and share files with anybody. Teams are more dynamic. We have also used Skype.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Zoom at a five on a scale of 10. I don't think it has all the integration. This is also because of security issues.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Client Executive at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, simple document sharing, but more channel building features needed
  • "The solution is easy to use and loads up documents for sharing."
  • "There was a situation not long ago when there were some security fears. Some users had somebody else take control of their calls. They might have addressed these issues now, but the security needs to continue to be upgraded."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom internally and externally in our organization for communicating with associates or with clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Zoom has benefited our company because it is easy to set up and for clients to use. When we are doing presentations or discussions at various levels of sales it is a good tool.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and loads up documents for sharing.

What needs improvement?

There are certain ways you can build channels for clients and opportunities in Teams that would be a benefit to add to Zoom. I have been using Teams more than Zoom because it has a lot more capabilities for sales and communication, building, and working with the team.

I have been using Zoom for approximately one year.

The stability is good. I do not remember Zoom having any glitches, or time-out issues, it always seemed consistent.

The solution is highly scalable. We extensively use Zoom, we have approximately 24,000 employees in my organization and many, if not all, have used Zoom.

I use Teams and Zoom in my company.

The setup of the solution is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom a seven out of ten.

Public Sector Cloud Services Account Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
I'm pretty satisfied with the user interface
  • "I've never had to use tech support for it. It just works."
  • "My company uses the Zoom security setting that requires the host to admit users. The host often forgets to do that, so you sometimes have a lot of people sitting out there. It would be nice if Zoom made it obvious that somebody is in the waiting room."

What is our primary use case?

Most of my organization uses Zoom. I'm in sales and everyone in this department uses it. Tech and sales use a combination of Zoom and Teams. Occasionally, we might use something like a Cisco WebEx when the customer requires it. For example, we deal with federal government clients and intelligence agencies, and they have strict requirements for communications security.

What is most valuable?

I'm pretty satisfied with Zoom's user interface.

What needs improvement?

My company uses the Zoom security setting that requires the host to admit users. The host often forgets to do that, so you sometimes have a lot of people sitting out there. It would be nice if Zoom made it obvious that somebody is in the waiting room. Also, Zoom could add the ability to have multiple users share screens.

I've been using Zoom for at least two years.

Zoom does seem to use a fair amount of resources on your system. If you have other apps open, the audio can get really choppy sometimes if you try to do something else, like send an email. I did not notice this until just recently, so I don't know if this is something Zoom changed or if my system needs to be updated.

I've never had to use tech support for it. It just works.

Before we started using Zoom, we were using WebEx. Quite honestly, I think the reason the company switched was purely political.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom nine out of 10.

Principal Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It's free, but it could be more reliable
  • "The most valuable feature is that it's free."
  • "Zoom's audio quality could be improved. I feel like Teams is more reliable because sometimes the audio is patchy on Zoom, whereas I've never had a problem with Teams."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for virtual meetings. I have Zoom for personal use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's free.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Zoom for two years.

Zoom doesn't seem very stable. I have experienced patchy audio quality during calls.

I only use Zoom for personal purposes.

I have never contacted technical support.

I also use Microsoft Teams for meetings because my company pays for the subscription. Teams is more reliable and stable than Zoom.

The installation just takes a few clicks and you're done. I have an IT background, but it doesn't make a difference. It's very easy.

I installed Zoom myself.

Zoom is free. If I had to pay for a subscription, I would just use Teams instead.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom an eight out of ten. If you're implementing it for personal use, then I recommend Zoom, but if you want to implement a solution for business purposes, I would go for Teams.

YaganadenNaicken
Senior Information Technology System Engineer at State Informatics Limited
Stable, good quality, and the remote desktop control feature is helpful
  • "The most valuable feature is the remote desktop because sometimes we have to intervene and control the client's infrastructure."
  • "I would like to be able to have multiple users open and collaborate on a document at the same time."

What is our primary use case?

Some of our clients use Zoom for video conferencing, so we use it to have meetings with them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the remote desktop because sometimes we have to intervene and control the client's infrastructure. The remote features all us to do this.

The conference call meeting is a good feature.

I get quick access and the performance is good.

The quality is good and video meetings are very clear.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Zoom for two years.

Zoom is a stable solution, which is why we're using it.

This solution is scalable.

I would rate the technical support an eight or nine out of ten.

Most of the time, we use Microsoft Teams for our meetings. Our choice of video conferencing or virtual meeting software depends on what the client is using.

With some of the other products that we have used, we have experienced poor quality and lost connections. I don't think that it is related to our network because when I switch to Zoom, it works fine.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Zoom is a good product and I recommend that people use it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Business Development Manager of Storage Systems at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sends meeting invites, collects statistic information, and its easy to set up
  • "Zoom has great functionality for virtual meetings. It's best in class."
  • "In general, the price could be a little cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Zoom for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

Zoom has great functionality for virtual meetings. It's best in class.

You can create invitation letters for people to join meetings.

It collects statistics that are helpful for showing you details such as who has joined the meeting.

What needs improvement?

In general, the price could be a little cheaper.

I have been working with Zoom for a couple of years.

We have fewer than 100 users. For us, scalability is great, and we may increase our usage in the future.

I have no experience with support because I have never needed any.

From time to time, we use Microsoft Teams. However, Zoom is the product that I prefer.

The initial setup is quite easy. I have set it up at least ten times in the past six months.

My specialty is hardware but I am able to do the Zoom installation personally.

There is a licensing fee and although the price is fair, it can be a little cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I like a lot and I'm happy with using it. I would recommend it to others.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Project specialist at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and has nice features for virtual meeting rooms
  • "This is the easiest product to use for videoconferencing."
  • "I like to see the whole screen and sometimes, it is difficult to hide the speaker's picture or my own picture from the forefront of the Zoom screen."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Zoom for webinars and virtual classes.

At the beginning of the pandemic, we started using Zoom for work. After some time, we switched to Microsoft Teams for that purpose. We talk to our providers using Zoom but it is not common.

This is deployed in a Linux environment.

What is most valuable?

I like the virtual meeting rooms in this product. They are very good and have very nice features.

This is the easiest product to use for videoconferencing.

What needs improvement?

The interface could use some improvement. I like to see the whole screen and sometimes, it is difficult to hide the speaker's picture or my own picture from the forefront of the Zoom screen.

I have been using Zoom for approximately two years, since 2019.

Zoom is a very stable product.

I did not use another similar product prior to Zoom.

I also use Microsoft Teams. We changed to Teams for work but I still use Zoom here and there.

Downloading and installing Zoom was very easy to do. It did not take a long time.

I use the free version of Zoom that is available for download.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I really like Zoom and it has everything that we need. The only complaint I have is about the interface.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.