We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Satish Nannapaneni
CEO & Founder at Flexera Global
Easier to use than Microsoft but slows down when too many people log in at once
  • "I rate Zoom as a seven out of ten. This is because it is much easier to use than Microsoft Teams."
  • "The video side should be improved, especially if too many people log in at once."

What needs improvement?

The video side should be improved, especially if too many people log in at once. While they say that the solution can support up to 100 connections simultaneously, it slows down once 20 or 25 people join. So too, the quality of the audio decreases and this is in spite of one being in a good internet area with good network speed.

For the moment, Zoom only allows one to schedule, so it would be nice if it offered the option of creating channels, such as Slack does. The latter solution allows everyone to be on the same call with just a click.

I have been using Zoom for two-and-a-half years.

Zoom comprises our main mode of video communication. We have slowly started incorporating Microsoft Teams, since the company, our employees and the back office use this. Consequently, it is sometimes easier for us to simply conduct a quick call.

I rate Zoom as a seven out of ten. This is because it is much easier to use than Microsoft Teams, but both of these solutions face similar issues when too many people log in at the same time. In fact, Zoom rates slightly lower than Microsoft Teams in terms of video and audio quality when too many people, 20 or 25, log in at once.

Zoom only allows for scheduling at the moment, so it would be nice if it offered the option of creating channels, such as with Slack. The latter solution allows everyone to be on the same call with just a click.

What other advice do I have?

I believe we deploy the solution on the cloud.

Half of our organization makes use of Microsoft Teams and the rest use Zoom.

I rate Zoom as a seven out of ten.

Roni Wijaya
Infrastructure Operations Manager at Artajasa Pembayaran Elektronis
Compared to GoToMeeting Google Duo, Google Hangouts, and TeamViewer, I find that Zoom is generally more stable, easier to use and has more features
  • "Zoom is stable and easy to use."
  • "When a lot of people join a meeting it is not possible to shrink the pictures and show them on a single screen."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for video conferencing.

What is most valuable?

The video conferencing is very smooth and it is easy to share content.

Zoom is stable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

When a lot of people join a meeting it is not possible to shrink the pictures and show them on a single screen. Instead, we have to scroll to another screen. It would be nice if we could resize the frame.

We have been using Zoom for two weeks.

Zoom is a stable solution.

This is a scalable video conferencing product. We have 278 users and I have tried having 70 people in a single conference, which worked well.

In addition to Zoom, we also use Webex. I have found that sharing material is much easier in Zoom. In fact, we tried using Webex with our partner and they could not share material but with Zoom, they could do it.

There is a 40-minute time limit when you use the basic version, which is free. The limit is for meetings with three or more people.

I have tried several solutions including Google Duo, Google Hangouts, GoToMeeting, and TeamViewer. I find that Zoom is generally more stable and easier to use than other solutions, and it also has more features.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to try the basic version for free. I highly recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ioana Haralamb
Project Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable solution works well for video conferences
  • "I find it very easy to use for multiple persons."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use is for video conference, for classes for my daughter when she's online, and also when I have to talk with the teacher.

What is most valuable?

The solution is working very well and it's very simple, easy to use.

What needs improvement?

One area that can be improved is the chat settings. Perhaps add a feature so you can tag someone when you write something, and that someone be notified that you wrote a message to him or her. I'd like to see more user interface.

I have been using Zoom for two or three years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. My family is using Zoom.

Previously, I've used the service from Google. I was using Slack and Skype. With my friends, I use WhatsApp for video.

I began using Zoom because I find it very easy to use for multiple persons.

It is very easy to install in just a few minutes.

At work we had a paid account for multiple users and so on, but at home I'm using the light version, the free one.

What other advice do I have?

Zoom works very well and is very stable. I enjoy the fact that it can be used with more than two people, and you can also chat with others during calls.

I would suggest using the solution because it works very well for video conferences.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Video access is a great feature that improves communication
    • "The product has video access which is a great feature."
    • "Troubleshooting can be complicated."

What is our primary use case?

I've been using this solution for meetings, both within the company and externally with our customers.

What is most valuable?

I like that Zoom provides video access, which I believe provides for better communication and a more relaxed situation. I know some people don't like it, but I do. I'm not a power user but it suits my requirements and does what I need.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting on Zoom can be complicated. You can get a message: "I can't find your camera." It worked yesterday but it doesn't work today. The problem is that the camera is not available in Windows. It requires Windows troubleshooting skills. Zoom uses what Windows offers and Windows fails to offer the camera. The same holds for audio. If you switch to a different headphone in the middle of a meeting, Zoom can't find it because it's a Windows problem. It usually requires canceling the call, fixing the problem and calling again.

The solution is stable.

The solution is quite scalable, I can invite up to 50 people onto a call and I can invite 100 people if I have that kind of license.

I find the initial setup a little awkward.

Licensing costs depend on the number of people per call and the length of calls. There is a standard license for 50 participants that we use. Above that number, you need a special license.

What other advice do I have?

I find Zoom easier to use and easier to troubleshoot than Microsoft Teams so I would recommend it.

I rate Zoom eight out of 10.

Account Executive at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Excellent features, stable, and scalable
    • "Screen Sharing is the most valuable feature in Zoom for me."
    • "The only issue I have is that some clients have difficulty connecting to the audio side of things."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom to demonstrate my solution to my clients. We also use it to make external and internal client calls.

We use Zoom Internally, as well as with our clients.

What is most valuable?

The features are good. I don't have any issues with the features included with Zoom.

Screen Sharing is the most valuable feature in Zoom for me.

What needs improvement?

The only issue I have is that some clients have difficulty connecting to the audio side of things. It could be user issues.

I have used Zoom off and on for many years.

I believe that we use the enterprise version of Zoom.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Zoom.

Zoom is scalable.

We don't have more than ten users at once for my purposes. We haven't had to go any further.

I have not contacted technical support directly. Any issues are addressed with my IT team.

Zoom is the only product that I have used since starting with this company.

In the past, I have used GoToMeeting, Teams, Skype, and Webex.

Teams is nice, but it's on the communication platform, you are only using one application. Aside from that, I can't think of any significant pluses or minuses.

To my knowledge, the initial setup appears to be fine. I'm in sales, so I don't set up anything.

What other advice do I have?

I worked for OpenText for 13 years.

In sales, I use what I am given to work with.

I would rate Zoom an eight out of ten.

Silvia Gutierrez
    Engineering manager at Solcomp Technologies
    High quality video, reliable, and easy session connection
    • "The most valuable features of Zoom are the very stable video and audio, the quality of the voice is good, and it is very easy to connect to the sessions. This is also the reason why we use Zoom."
    • "I have read some news about Zoom being a little bit insecure, but when we never had any issue with it. They can improve by making the sessions more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom for a remote session to support the technology that we sell to the customer, team sessions, and presentations in the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Zoom are the very stable video and audio, the quality of the voice is good, and it is very easy to connect to the sessions. This is also the reason why we use Zoom.

What needs improvement?

I have read some news about Zoom being a little bit insecure, but when we never had any issue with it. They can improve by making the sessions more secure.

There are some occasions when Zoom crashes with the antivirus application, but it is easy to resolve.

I have been using Zoom for approximately one year.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

We have 10 people in my organization that is using Zoom. We all use it. We do not plan to increase usage.

We previously used WebEx, but for me, the application is too heavy. We needed to close many applications in Windows before we could use WebEx. We also used Microsoft Teams, which I did not like. I felt that the video and the voice were too slow with a lot of latency.

The installation is simple.

We purchased a license for Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest those who might be interested in Zoom try out the demonstrations version. The solution is easy to use.

I rate Zoom a ten out of ten.

VaishnaviM
    Associate Software Development Engineer at Publicis Sapient
    Convenient solution with good user interface
    • "One of the most valuable features is the user interface. With every new update, they introduce new useful features."
    • "Zoom definitely has to be more secure, but I can't think of any anything else to change."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for virtual meetings. Since this solution is cloud-based, it's always updated to the latest application version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Zoom definitely has to be more secure, but I can't think of any anything else to change.

I have used Zoom for about two years now.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

I have never contacted technical support. I don't really ever take tech support.

In my organization, we use Microsoft Teams for official meetings and other events. I have also used Google Meet and, briefly, Cisco WebEx, but I use Zoom the most. I used Cisco WebEx only three or four times because I felt that the other options were more convenient.

The installation is usually pretty straightforward.

I implemented this solution myself.

I use the free version that is available, so I'm not sure what the licensing prices are.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom a 10 out of 10. I would recommend Zoom to others. I know a lot of people who use Zoom for personal purposes, and a lot of schools and universities have been using Zoom for virtual classes.

Other
    Frank Olszewski
    Principal | CTO at IBE Global
    Very easy to deploy, simple conference room feature, and works on any device
    • "Simple and user-friendly; works on any device."
    • "Lacks an indicator on chat to show that a message has been read."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as part of our corporate communications system. I'm principal CTO and we are customers of Zoom.

What is most valuable?

It was easy to deploy Zoom and it's a product that was easily accepted throughout the company, even by our management team. Zoom is just very simple for the user and it works regardless of where you are and the device you're using. The ease of integration of the conference rooms for our leadership was probably the most valuable aspect. With WebEx or Teams where you need converters in the middle and things didn't always work, the leadership team was always complaining about those solutions.

What needs improvement?

One issue I have is that there is no indicator on chats to let you know whether a message has been read so you're never sure if it's been seen. They could implement something like Whatsapp with the two check marks. I also think that the integration with Microsoft is not as good as it was with Jabber. It's not the end of the world but it could be better. In a similar vein, I think that when it comes to document sharing the integration could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I think that if your main focus is on communication between team members, especially with people working from home, this is a simple solution. We need to recognize that not everyone is an IT person and we're working with people at all levels in the company, whether they're in the field, the warehouses, or in fabrication. For all of them this is, quite honestly, more user-friendly than WebEx or Teams will ever be.

Based on our use cases, I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Product Categories
    Virtual Meetings
    Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.