IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Ligia Godoi - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Service Delivery Manager at DXC
A stable solution for processing and cataloging customer service requests
  • "It's a very low-code platform, and it's simple. The user experience is also really good."
  • "I know that discovery tools are not meant to be simple, but somehow, if they could make it more simple and robust, that would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use ServiceNow for all service delivering processes within service management. For service and incident problems, change and configuration management, relief management, and event management.

Within our organization, there are roughly 30,000 users, using ServiceNow.

What is most valuable?

From a service perspective, I think that being able to customize it great. It's a very low-code platform, and it's simple. The user experience is also really good.

What needs improvement?

From a configuration/discovery perspective, how you map your infrastructure and the relationship — that could be improved in a sense to make it simpler. I know that discovery tools are not meant to be simple, but somehow, if they could make it more simple and robust, that would be great.

You just need plenty of experience with the solution, then it becomes much easier to use.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else that I would like ServiceNow to include in the next release.

I have been using ServiceNow for two years.

ServiceNow
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

ServiceNow is very stable. The scalability is also great.

I can't evaluate their technical support because I don't get support from ServiceNow myself. I'm responsible for implementing it for our clients, but we don't provide support.

The initial setup was very easy.

Initially, deployment took us eight months. Once we had some experience with it, we could deploy it in four months.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to evaluate the license more — seriously look into their licensing options. The way that ServiceNow licenses the product, there is no concurrent user model so you have to pay for each user, and each type of user, that uses the tool. It can be very expensive depending on how you use it. Sometimes you cannot implement other modules because they don't have a budget for that. So make sure you correctly look over the different types of licenses to make sure you understand what to expect.

ServiceNow should review and make the solution more flexible for clients who have more users, or users that are not concurring, to know how to share licenses. To have options depending on how the client wants to use them so that everyone can benefit from it — that would be my advice.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give ServiceNow a rating of eight.

Senior Loan Analyst at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Offers everything in one place but it can be a little clunky
  • "In terms of the most valuable features, it's nice to have everything in one place. Things are easy to follow up on. ServiceNow provides that workflow. I know at some level it is in the pipeline and then if I need to follow up, everything's there. Those are the key benefits of ServiceNow."
  • "I find ServiceNow to be a little bit clunky. If I need to report an issue they have a number of different options. I can report an issue, I can ask a question, I can make a request and it has varying levels of importance or levels of attention required. I find that what's required to submit is not always clear."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a combination of things. I would say that the two big use cases that I'm aware of are for logging general acute IT issues. Then they also use it for actual security-specific issues. These are the two main use cases that I'm aware of.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features, it's nice to have everything in one place. Things are easy to follow up on. ServiceNow provides that workflow. I know at some level it is in the pipeline and then if I need to follow up, everything's there. Those are the key benefits of ServiceNow.

What needs improvement?

I find ServiceNow to be a little bit clunky. If I need to report an issue they have a number of different options. I can report an issue, I can ask a question, I can make a request and it has varying levels of importance or levels of attention required. I find that what's required to submit is not always clear.

For example, I was once trying to import an issue and it required that I submit a screenshot. I kept clicking to try and get through and there were some paper clips in the rear upper corner that I didn't notice and I didn't know were required. That kind of issue bugs me about it. The guidelines are not as easy to use. I think it's a little bit clunky. It's not user-friendly.

We have had ServiceNow installed for at least the last three years.

I've never had an issue with it in terms of stability. It's always available when I need it.

As far as the scalability of this solution, my guess is it is probably good.

The setup was pretty straightforward. They rolled this thing out and nobody has been swapped over from the road system is pretty seamless.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is fine, and I would certainly tell others to give it a look.

I don't know if there are more features available. It needs a more intuitive interface. They need to make it easier to understand what's required and probably make it a little nicer looking because it looks industrial.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

ServiceNow
July 2022
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of Cloud Services at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
No downtime, good service, and good scalability
  • "The Workflow feature is the most valuable."
  • "The Software Asset Management feature can be improved. We would like to see more features for the Software Asset Management functionality. Its price can also be better. It is currently more expensive than other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our service desk as well as for some asset management.

How has it helped my organization?

Last year, there were three steps for installing or uninstalling software when a user asked us to do so. We had to connect to a user's computer and manually install or uninstall the software. By using ServiceNow, when a user opens a ticket or incident, we can automatically run the workflows through the system. The assistant can automatically go to the user's computer and install or uninstall the software.

What is most valuable?

The Workflow feature is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The Software Asset Management feature can be improved. We would like to see more features for the Software Asset Management functionality.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is really good. There is no downtime.

It has really good scalability. We have around 1,000 users using ServiceNow.

Their technical support is good. They also have a very good forum and blog through which we can share experiences with other users.

The initial setup was complex. We had to add some consulting services behind the scenes to build up the ServiceNow environment. The deployment took four months.

We used an integrator. They were not so good. They were more like a box mover. They were more interested in selling ServiceNow than providing a professional service.

I am from Brazil. For Latin American markets, ServiceNow is very expensive as compared to other vendors, such as VMware.

We evaluated Serviceaide. We found ServiceNow to be a broad and wide solution. There are more models that we can buy in the future. For example, if I want RPA or artificial intelligence, I can buy it as an upsell or cross-sell.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a very good product. It is very stable, and there is no downtime. They also provide good services.

I would rate ServiceNow an eight out of ten.

Head of Market Analytics at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable and stable but could be more user-friendly
  • "You can scale the solution."
  • "It's too complicated and there are too many options."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for service desk requests, in order to track service desk requests and to know who's asking what and track these requests.

What is most valuable?

You can scale the solution.

The product has very good stability.

What needs improvement?

It could be easier to use. It's a bit complicated and the user experience isn't exactly easy.

It's too complicated and there are too many options.

I've been using the solution for two or three years or so.

In my experience, the solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I find it to be reliable.

It's my understanding that the solution scales well.

We have about 100 users on the solution currently.

I've never used technical support in the past. There never was a need to reach out. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are, however, as I have no direct experience with them.

I also have experience with Jira.

I didn't really get involved in the initial installation. It's my understanding that there really isn't one. In my experience, there's just a simple link that you click on and you're all set.

I don't have any information about the licensing process or costs. It's not an aspect of the solution I deal with. I'm not in charge of it.

I've compared this solution to Jira in the past and I find them both to be complex in terms of the user experience.

That said, I haven't evaluated anything to replace this product at this company.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if we're using an on-premises or cloud deployment.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

At this point, I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution at I don't have enough personal experience with it.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Director, IT Networking at a think tank with 1-10 employees
he interface is not user-friendly and it costs a lot of money to manage, but it's reliable
  • "I like that it's always up and running."
  • "The interface is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I have used this solution to create forms for employees to fill out.

The main use is for incident management.

They are configuring the asset management in CMDB, and they are installing at this time.

How has it helped my organization?

It has the ability to consolidate different areas of the service desk into one solution.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's always up and running.

What needs improvement?

I am not a fan of ServiceNow.

The menus and the interface need improvement. It feels like a shopping cart and like I am shopping on the internet. The graphics of the menu could be better.

The interface is not user-friendly.

To me, ServiceNow is a money pit. It takes a lot of money to manage it.

With this company, I have been using ServiceNow for one year, and another two years before that in other companies.

I am using the latest version.

ServiceNow is a stable product.

It's a scalable solution. We have not had any issues with the scalability of this solution.

We have 5,000 users in our organization who use it.

This solution is used quite a bit and the company plans to increase its usage.

I have not contacted technical support.

This solution was already in place, but in a different organization, I used a solution called SysAid. I thought it was much easier to manage.

This was already in place when I arrived, but they are installing the CMDB and we need the help of a partner.

It seems to be very complex.

We have one person who is dedicated to the maintenance of this solution. He is a Service Desk Supervisor.

My experience with the integrator has been positive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to be prepared to spend money.

While this product works, I feel that the UI is terrible, it's horrendous.

I would rate ServiceNow a four out of ten.

Private Cloud
IT Leader at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Gives visibility from the change management perspective, but more intelligence can be added into the capabilities
  • "Primarily, we use it for incident management and change across the landscape. It is the virtual repository for our incident management processes. It gives us visibility about what's happening from the change management perspective across our CABs, including our enterprise CABs."
  • "We find it good in general. Obviously, there are areas of improvement for every capability. As they evolve more, if they keep on adding more intelligence into the capabilities, it will improve. The improvement areas are more integration across the landscape and more intelligence for the overall capability of the solution."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is around the core idle processes in general. We use it as a service management capability for managing intercom and so forth.

What is most valuable?

Primarily, we use it for incident management and change across the landscape. It is the virtual repository for our incident management processes. It gives us visibility about what's happening from the change management perspective across our CABs, including our enterprise CABs.

What needs improvement?

We find it good in general. Obviously, there are areas of improvement for every capability. As they evolve more, if they keep on adding more intelligence into the capabilities, it will improve. The improvement areas are more integration across the landscape and more intelligence for the overall capability of the solution.

We've been a ServiceNow customer for around five years.

It is stable. It has been one of the more stable capabilities that we have for operations.

It is an enterprise solution. Scaling has not been an issue for us.

We have got technical account managers for our account. They are available and responsive. When we go through customary support channels, they are responsive as well. There are no issues.

We did use a different solution, and there were a couple of reasons why we went through the transformation. One of them was to have enhanced capability and being able to do more with singular capability versus multiple capabilities. This was the primary reason for the switch.

For the most part, it was straightforward. We were doing a bit of a transition, transformation, and concept. We were transitioning from one capability to another, and we had all those at the right touchpoints from an integration perspective. Overall, it was relatively stable and smooth.

What other advice do I have?

The major thing is to stay close to out of the box and limit those customizations. This would be the bit that I would share with others.

I would rate ServiceNow a seven out of ten.

Delivery Lead, Enterprise at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Comprehensive features, good organization integration, and competitive pricing
  • "We have found the service easy to use, although, we have ended up customising a lot of parameters."
  • "The customization that we are doing for the needs of our organization are difficult to do and could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for workflow automation and business processing.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been effectively used in our organization. We have large chats with 150,000 people and everyone has found it to be useful. Our internal IT team is supporting the tool and trying to get everyone on-board.

What is most valuable?

We have found the service easy to use, although, we have ended up customising a lot of parameters. It is a functional comprehensive featured solution compared to everything else on the market.

What needs improvement?

The customization that we are doing for the needs of our organization are difficult to do and could be improved. In the a future release, if they have not done so already, they should include cognitive capabilities features which we are currently lacking.

I have been using the solution for three years.

We have had no major issues with stability.

We have been in contact with customer service and we have no complaints.

The price of the solution is comparable to industry standards. For the features that we received, it is reasonable.

I have been reviewing a solution called BMC helix potentially coming on board soon. The cognitive capabilities that are being released in the market are pretty good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. However, we did not have an easy time customizing the tool to do what we wanted it to. I would suggest if it meets 80% of your needs I would adopt the tool, but if not, I think building a custom tool itself would be the way to go at that point.

I did not give the solution a nine because that is too good. I do not think they are at that level. They are the industry leaders, for the automation of workflows. But there is definitely more that could be done.

I did not rate the solution a ten because nothing is perfect.

I rate ServiceNow an eight out of ten.

Rupesh Jethwa - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Globant
An excellent platform enabling wide exploration of other technologies and functionalities
  • "Data in reports and dashboards are easily accessible."
  • "Licensing costs are very high."

What is our primary use case?

We are premium partners with ServiceNow and I'm a solutions architect.

How has it helped my organization?

ServiceNow is one of the fastest‑growing cloud enterprise software companies in the world. We implemented ITSM, ITOM and ITBM for various customs and even in our organization which reduced operations costs infrastructure cost

What is most valuable?

This solution has a user friendly environment. ServiceNow offers a wide platform which allows us to explore other technologies and functionalities and provides a 360-degree view. Data in reports and dashboards are easily accessible. I also like the integration hub which is plug and play. You can integrate any tool with ServiceNow.

What needs improvement?

Need to focus on small business like Licensing, packaging

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

We don't have any complaints from our customers after they start using the product. Once they adapt to the new look and feel, and the user experience, there's no problem.

We generally don't need much support. When it's necessary, I can contact the higher support team that deal with implementation and it's easy to connect with them and get a quick response. They are good.

We used Remedy and we switched because Remedy is still using old technology

The initial setup is straightforward in ServiceNow. It's not complex, you can say it's out-of-the-box.

100%

What other advice do I have?

If a company is looking for more accessibility, a user friendly environment where they want to explore other functionalities like HR and CSM, then ServiceNow provides that. I recommend this solution because they're always coming out with new technologies and functionalities. And the support level is very good even though things are automatically updated on a regular basis.

I rate this solution a ten out of 10.

Download our free ServiceNow Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022