Chief Software Architect at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Scalable, great for project management, and is very stable
  • "Overall, the solution is very nice and has a variety of great features."
  • "For me, the solution is too complicated as it has too many features. It would be nice if they could streamline things."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use the solution for project management. We are using Jira for our software development purposes only. Usually, we create a Jira project for each project and develop it according to its size. We assign team members who will belong to those projects, each project. Then, we manage everything using Jira.

Basically, the main purpose of using Jira is just planning and then checking issues. That's all for now.

How has it helped my organization?

We can lean on Jira completely during projects, even in terms of all the small things, surrounding planning. There are error reports, and we can take in the progress. We are not using any other tool except Jira for managing software development, including the testing and reports and following up.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution is very nice and has a variety of great features.

The stability of the solution has been quite good.

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

It's a very useful project management tool.

What needs improvement?

They can make it a little bit better in terms of the user interface. Some things are very scattered. It is a bit confusing. They developed a new user interface, and I cannot follow the changes. There's documentation, however, it's not so good.

The solution has a pretty steep learning curve. It would be great if they could lessen the learning curve by providing more templates and ready-made options for new users to take advantage of.

Jira
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for almost two years. It's been a while.

In terms of stability, we haven't experienced any crash or anything like that. There are no bugs or glitches. We haven't suffered any issue with the Jira service itself so far.

Due to the fact that we are using the cloud service of Jira, we don't have any experience with any lagging or delaying or any of those kinds of issues yet. The team is managing this scalability and can scale up and down their resources automatically in the background. I don't have any issues with the scalability that's provided.

We are a small organization. We only have a team of 20 developers. We might increase usage in the future, should our team grow.

We haven't had to reach out to technical support just yet. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I wasn't directly involved in the implementation process. I can't speak to what cloud the product is on or the exact details of the deployment.

We have only two people for the Jira management. We are only paying attention to security. We ensure we are giving the right permission to the right person, that is the only factor we are focusing on.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.

As we are using the cloud version of the solution, we are always on the most up-to-date version.

For simple project management, Jira is too much. If you want to manage a project precisely, however, then I can recommend Jira. It's not only a software-specific version. There are different versions of Jira so that you can apply it to different areas - not just software. That is one good aspect. I'd say that it is very polished, and has a very well-defined approach to project management.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've mostly been happy with how it's worked for us.

Consultor Funcional SAP at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to learn, simple to navigate through, and offers many add-ons
  • "We've found the scalability to be good."
  • "I manage the progress of the stories in an Excel chart with dates on work progress or thing to do. I don't like the progress or the stage changing from the stories in Jira."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is using the boards in working stories for freeing up the backlog and assigning tasks to my developer team.

No other stats of graphics or reports from Jira are used. We use Grafana instead of that.

What is most valuable?

I really enjoy the easy way I can follow up the story's progress even when they are in progress or we test bug stories. When issues arise, they can play back to the team in order to fix all the bugs. They have a view of the backlogs in the current sprint and the next sprint.

The initial setup is straightforward.

There are many Jira add-ons available, however, we aren't using those yet.

The solution is stable.

We've found the scalability to be good.

What needs improvement?

I alternate Jira with Excel. I manage the progress of the stories in an Excel chart with dates on work progress or thing to do. I don't like the progress or the stage changing from the stories in Jira.

I've been using Jira for about four years. It's been a while.

The stability is quite good. There are only some updates that are made by IT, however, it's working fine for me. I haven't dealt with bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. I've tried other solutions, and this one seems to be the most adequate for my needs.

We have about 1,000 users worldwide. There are several projects running in several parts of the world.

We do not plan to increase usage. We are using it as we need it and no more than that.

We've never faced any big issues and we have never had Jira go down. Therefore, we've never had a need to contact technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I found the initial setup to be pretty simple and straightforward. It was not an overly complex process.

However, largely, we are just testing Jira. I can't speak to how long the deployment takes.

I have three teams that can handle deployment tasks. There are six people in one, seven in another, and ten in the third one.

We do not use resellers or integrators to assist with the initial setup. We can handle the process ourselves.

I don't have any information in regards to the licensing or cost of the solution. It's not an aspect of Jira I handle.

I have tried or tested other options such as Excel, Monday, Trello, Tetra. In comparison, for how I use it, Jira is the most adequate for my daily job.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user.

Nowadays I'm using the web version of Jira for my client. I'm managing my boards, my sprints, and my backlog which are all working on Jira except the retrospectives. These are made in a code and not written down in Jira.

I would recommend the solution to others. It's easy to learn, easy to handle, and we've never experienced any downtime for a year and a half at least.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I haven't fully utilized the entire product, however, from what I have seen, it's exactly what we require.

Microsoft Azure
Jira
November 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Architect / Owner at a security firm with 1-10 employees
It just works; great bug tracker saves time
  • "We do not have a lot of time for investigating new things, but Jira has saved us a great deal of time. It has a nice user interface and we can do a lot of things with it."
  • "They are not supporting in-house servers anymore and I think I've got until January to port this to something else."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily a software development company. We work on some very specialized software for the government. So, we use Jira as our primary bug/issue tracker. We are also looking to put some add-ins in it to help with configuration management.

We also use it for configuration management and task assignment, but that's all within the bug tracker itself. What's good for us is that we are not doing all of that in three different applications. That's very useful. I'm sure larger businesses can find other uses and plugins for it, but right at the moment, Jira is fulfilling our needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We think Jira is great, it's been a real help as an issue tracker for us. We have had no problems with it. It just works; it's always worked. We never lose any data. So, we're happy to try to keep it going in the future.

We are a small business and we're up to our ankles in getting code out the door on a regular basis. We do not have a lot of time for investigating new things, but Jira has saved us a great deal of time. It has a nice user interface and we can do a lot of things with it.

What needs improvement?

They are not supporting in-house servers anymore and I think I've got until January to port this to something else. The issue is not that it is difficult to move Jira to another server, but we have a relatively large database on an SQL Server that Jira either uses or created and we do not want to lose that data.

We are not a very large company so that is a problem. A lot of our business is on Azure and I would prefer to have an Azure solution for our software management. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to move Jira over to Azure on our servers. As a small company, we just don't have a lot of time to solve those kinds of problems. So we may end up moving to something else if it turns out to be more difficult than we can handle.

Everybody has to make business decisions and obviously, right now, we're not in that sweet spot for them. But, moving onto the cloud has its advantages too.

We are using Jira regularly now and have been for about a year.

My impressions of Jira's stability are good. We are running the Jira application on a Windows Server 2019. We also have a large SQL database server running on Windows that Jira accesses. So, there's a Jira database running on the SQL Server and the Jira app and it's never gone down.

Jira is a scalable solution. We have not run into any issues with it.

We have used a number of things from spreadsheets to in-house-built issue trackers. But Jira worked right out of the box.

For a small business, this quality of a product for the price is really nice. I think we're paying $78 a month or something like that right now.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it. Now I'm a 10-person development company with about 30 staff members. If you don't have a lot of IT support and you're doing everything yourself, Jira is a great product for you. It's not hard to install and it just works.

IT Business Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
  • "The most valuable features are that it is good for tracking the issues and it provides for the usage of Confluence."
  • "It is a bit harder for management or the business partners. I used to search the Atlassian Community online for some troubleshooting issues and I think there were some issues that seemed to not be a big problem for other similar applications, like Microsoft Teams, that were not considered by Jira."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Jira is for requests for tracking the software development.

We use Jira for the process, especially for password tracking. We're the issue management team for development. We are quite new, so I was very interested in ITSM documentation provided by Jira. But, I needed time to readjust that to our organization as per the line of business.

Overall I think it's helpful, but I need some time to absorb all the knowledge.

How has it helped my organization?

People have different opinions about whether it has improved our organization. I think it is quite a valuable tool and platform to streamline tasks, make project plans, and manage the release events.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is good for tracking the issues and it provides for the usage of Confluence. The documentation is another supporting part for development. I didn't go that deep, so that's what I see as the end user.

In general, it's very convenient for people that work in the software development business.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, it is a bit harder for management or the business partners. I used to search the Atlassian Community online for some troubleshooting issues and I think there were some issues that seemed to not be a big problem for other similar applications, like Microsoft Teams, that were not considered by Jira.

So I hope those will be considered soon. I think for some, the help documentation has been hard to track, so that I had a bit of difficulty finding the solutions. I'm the end user. I'm not the problem solver.

I have been using Jira for less than a year.

It does have some bugs or glitches sometimes. Like with Confluence, it always has some glitches, like the last edits I made minutes ago. It happens sometimes.

I don't know about the scalability. I just use the very basic one.

Only our IT people are using it. It's easier for IT people to understand it than anyone else.

We have our technical support from our vendor. They are very supportive.

No, we didn't use another solution previously. We used to manage those processes manually, like the spreadsheet. That's why we would like to switch to the Atlassian platform for some automations and for a mature platform to help us.

We had our vendor help to set up originally. Later, we made some customizations by other means. But because this is still at a very early age for us, it's a bit random on previous customizations. There were some blockages for people to understand from different perspectives. But I think so far the business people may not understand those procedures because it was originally designed for the coders and for the software development business.

We are using the Community license for Jira since we are a not-for-profit organization.

What other advice do I have?

I think the technical support and the customization of the line of business are the most important points for me as a BA. I don't think the license for a business is low.

We think - so far so good.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Jira an eight out of 10.

Nothing is perfect.

Prem Lingala - PeerSpot reviewer
Customer Success Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good Agile tracking features, easy to manage sprints, and allows for comments and tags
  • "All of the tracking features are the most valuable because it allows me to see where we stand today and every day."
  • "There should be a way to integrate the mobile application or in some way, make it more clear because at first instance, I didn't understand how to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for project management.

It can be used across a team. Managers can assign tasks and then they can track the progress. They can put the start dates, end dates, and everyday comments.

They can upload the relevant files to that module.

Jira is used to manage a sprint, which is the terminology used in the agile practice of project management. Sprints can be tracked fully using the Jira software. A sprint is typically a part or a subset of the entire work. It has a definite goal.

For example, if I am building test software, and building the login page is one module, then I can track the work created from the starting stage to the end.

It's a part of an entire software application. If a login page of a website is a subset of an entire website, I can track that right from when it started, how long it takes, what is pending, and how long the control test is.

Basically, you can clump it all together as if it is a team and you can measure the speed of the team. It enables the predictability of a project and helps determine when it can go live.

What is most valuable?

All of the tracking features are the most valuable because it allows me to see where we stand today and every day.

At the end of the day, I look to see what is pending, what is as per my expectation or as per the speed, and what is not going.

I can put in my comments or give a direction, or tag any other person if they need any help if they are stuck.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be much better, although it's good enough to do the job.

I don't see the mobile application for this particular application. I use it on PC. I tried to download the application, but there are some constraints to using it. It doesn't link properly, it doesn't detect my Jira board, even when I have entered the name. I don't know how to use that app. I download and tried, but there is confusion. There is no clarity on how I can map my desktop account with the mobile application. There is definitely room there to improve.

There should be a way to integrate the mobile application or in some way, make it more clear because at first instance, I didn't understand how to use it.

We have used Jira over the last seven months.

It's a stable solution.

We have a team of eight members who are using Jira. They are divided into teams with each team using different boards.

For example, one team is managers who are using it, whereas another is a team of developers using a different board that can be created and used for their purposes.

I have not been in a situation where I have needed technical support. Everything has gone well.

The installation is typically done by my IT team. I don't have exposure to that.

Prior to Jira, we were evaluating Microsoft tools, but I don't recall the name. Possibly Microsoft Task.

We were evaluating Microsoft products for the same purpose.

The decision is a collective team decision. It may have been that Jira is easier to implement across the company.

What other advice do I have?

It is a well-crafted product. I don't have any concerns.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Head of IT Enel X Digital Hub at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to deploy, good for managing documentation, and great for end-to-end project management
  • "Being able to automatize the deployment of the solution has been great."
  • "What I don't like is that perhaps there are not so many different apps that can add value over the management side of the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for project management.

What is most valuable?

What I like about this product is how you can manage from the project to the deployment, even using Bamboo or using Bitbucket.

Being able to automatize the deployment of the solution has been great.

We're not only managing documentation on the project task, but we're also handling the technical assets that are under the project.

What needs improvement?

What I don't like is that perhaps there are not so many different apps that can add value over the management side of the product. They're not able to develop over Jira, even for normal technical activity signing. For managing the project better or for task documentation or even managing tickets or service needs in another way, there needs to be better customization or better apps.

I'm really obsessed with the idea of reducing the number of activities to have a general retail workplace. However, if we need to expand the use of the Atlassian suite to all the teams, all the people, we need something that can be, easier to use and has the ability to offer more guidance to those users that usually don't work with these type of tools. For example, ServiceNow doesn't fit all the needs in the company, however, it can be configured. You can develop so many different functions over it. I don't want to increase the payments and the number of licenses that I have to buy from ServiceNow. I would prefer to have my own developed team and try to define everything on our side - including the functionalities that I would like to build for those proposed functionalities.

I've used the solution in a structured way for about 18 months now.

We have looked at and worked with several content-managed solutions in the last year. We're trying to build our retail workplace using ServiceNow, and, at the same time, increasing the use of the Atlassian suite. ServiceNow, we use for post activities such as service ticketing, service managing, and so on.

The introduction of agile has moved us onto the Atlassian suite, which has been really very, very useful. At the same time, we have a partial solution that has been built over Salesforce, using the Salesforce development environment.

Fortunately, we have so many different solutions for file management. We have FileNet, we have OneDrive. We have SAP. In terms of file management, we have so many different solutions, even Dropbox.

We are using the Jira service center and we are using Trello and Confluence as well.

The deployment is pretty straightforward. It's not overly difficult. We are able to automatize a lot of it.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Atlassian partner.

In terms of project management, Trello is not enough of a solution to manage complex projects and maybe some new functions can be developed. I'm not saying that Jira has to develop that, or that Atlassian has to develop that. Perhaps there is something that we can do to create a referring community to develop those new use cases and more simple use cases, and, at the same time, use them for more general purposes in the company. Atlassian fits in the technical side, in the IT side really well. It just needs to move to become friendly in a retail workspace environment, outside of its traditionally technical background.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Mitch Tolson - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Robotics at Fresh Consulting
Great for managing backlogs, moving around tasks, and bringing structure to projects
  • "The solution provides users with clarity in terms of the scope of work in a given timeframe."
  • "There's a really steep learning curve for configuration."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use the solution for trying to develop a product end-to-end. It's assisting us in having hardware and software come together.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Managing the backlog and being able to move work around and drag it around in order to replan it to certain sprints is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

There are many areas where improvements can be focused.

There's a really steep learning curve for configuration. I'd like them to simplify all of their configurability yet not remove the configuration options.

I've been using the solution for two years.

We haven't had any noticeable stability issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

There are some issues with scaling. It's difficult to consistently configure multiple teams within a single product.

We have about 150 and they're robotics engineers, software engineers, firmware engineers, PMs, and product people. Anyone that would be on a product development team uses it.

We will maintain usage and intend to continue using it for this deployment. I cannot speak to if there are plans for expansion.

We've never reached out to technical support. I can't speak to how helpful they are.

I'm also familiar with Azure DevOps, which is easier to set up. However, this company has always used Jira.

The initial setup has a moderate amount of difficulty. It's more complex than, for example, Azure DevOps. I'd rate the process at a three out of five.

The deployment took about three months.

I'm not sure how many staff are needed for deployment or maintenance tasks.

We handled the implementation process in-house with our own team. We didn't have any consultants or integrators to assist us in the process.

It's hard to put a number to the ROI we're seeing. It's more qualitative around the structure it provides than any kind of cost savings.

The cost is about $10 per user, per month.

There is a perception with Jira that they try to nickel and dime you quite a bit.

For example, they'll often say "Oh, you want this little feature? We'll charge you $3 per month per user." Whoever's signed up to your account they will charge you, even though you might only need five people to sue it from a 150 person team. That's excessive.

Compare that to Azure DevOps where withAzure DevOps, you just pay $20, and then you deploy that extension to your instance or tenant. With Jira, they charge you a dollar or $2 per active account in your tendency even if not everyone in my tenancy needs to have that extra feature set.

What other advice do I have?

Since we use the cloud, we are using whichever version is currently deployed there. It's updated automatically.

I would recommend Azure DevOps over Jira.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Other
Adil Fouari - PeerSpot reviewer
Oracle Applications Consultant at ASAM Conseil Inc
Integrates with other products easily
  • "I've never had a bug or a bug message that I needed to open a ticket for."
  • "It should be connected to ServiceNow."

What is our primary use case?

I use the Jira app, not the desktop version.

I work at a university and we use Jira to create tickets, epics, and stories. We link Jira to spec documentation with Confluence. We can also link it to TestRail.

Within the university that I work for, there are roughly 4,000 people using this solution — all staff members use it.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's integrated with the specs. You don't have to put the specs in a shared folder or a shared server. It's all linked together with Confluence. We just put the specs into Confluence and then link it to the ticket in Jira. Once our developer has finished his development, we can link it to TestRail to create test scenarios, test them, and analyze the results of the test.

What needs improvement?

It should be connected to ServiceNow. We use ServiceNow for deployments from our test environment to QA, then to production. If it was linked to ServiceNow, it would be perfect — it would be more integrated. Still, at least we can link our test scenarios, specs, and the tickets themselves so we can track the requirements — that's good. We have to use ServiceNow separately to deploy and move corrections from one environment to another.

There are a lot of features that need to be added on top of Jira for management, sprint planning, and agile topology for project management. My project manager says that there are not a lot of features for project management in the agile mode. They have to buy other products to put on top of Jira to be able to properly manage and to track what people are doing.

I have been using Jira for two years.

I was always able to connect. Once you're inside, it's good. We have never experienced any bugs, glitches, or crashes.

I think it's scalable. It can be integrated with other products easily. It's not a standalone product. Integration is the most important thing when it comes to scalability. I believe it uses a certain technology to make it even more scalable.

I've never had to contact support. I've never had a bug or a bug message that I needed to open a ticket for.

We used to use Remedy, but it didn't have everything that Jira has. Jira supports agile methodology. I used Remedy with waterfall projects, but for agile, Jira is the way to go. I've heard people say that Jira is better than DevOps tools.

I don't think it's complex to set up. The features are standard and come included with the product. You only need to know how to use it, create new Jiras, and how to link them. I don't think the setup is complicated. I've installed Oracle E-Business Suite a lot — that's complicated. Jira is much more direct.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using Jira, you have to just go ahead and buy it and use it. Try to use all the functions that are available. There's a lot of things to do in Jira. I recommend it.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Jira a rating of seven.

Private Cloud
Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022