IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
ITBridging the gap between business and IT at a engineering company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable, stable, and straightforward installation
  • "When combining Jira with Bitbucket, you have the possibility to ensure continuous integration and other functions which is highly appreciated by our software development team."

What is our primary use case?

We use JIRA for the management of tasks in IT. We are in the process of implementing our JIRA service desk and using other software for development, such as Bitbucket.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Jira for approximately three years.

Jira has been stable in my experience.
    Jira
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is scalable. The new licensing model that was presented to me for the data center oriented solution, the price tag that comes with it is the equivalent of 500 users. I only have 50 to 60 users, which means that I have to multiply my budget by 10. This is the scalability that they should be able to provide and I do not like that too much. I can accept that there is a markup for the data center but not the way they have currently presented it. We will have approximately 60 people using the solution and when it comes to the software development team there are approximately 100 users. It is used in two separate environments.

I have not contacted technical support personally.

Before we used Jira, our operations were very Microsoft office-based.

I am not a regular day-to-day user of this solution and based on the feedback that I received from people at the time it was installed, it went well.

We have one person from an external party who helped us with the implementation. For the internal technical deployment, we have approximately five people from different teams in infrastructure, help desk, and application.

The price at the moment for Jira is okay. I'm absolutely not amused with the plans to try to drive us to the cloud or to other licensing models. For the very simple reason that we are a company in the defense sector where cloud is problematic in a number of the domains. We are now approximately 60 users and the new policy will actually confront us with an upscale to approximately 500 users. I find it unacceptable, and may potentially lead us to look for another solution. They need to think about industries, which are for compliance reasons are not capable of moving to the cloud, and that they don't put a knife on our throats with excessive prices.

What other advice do I have?

For my defense software development activities, I would like to stay out of the cloud. For the general industry activities and the IT support, we could potentially go into the cloud. There is no objection to that. But for defense, the cloud is not an option for me. If you want to move ahead to the cloud, I would definitely recommend Jira. For what we use it for since we are stuck on-premise, I would advise others to look into other solutions. I am not an active user of Jira but based on the feedback I have received I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Enterprise Architect at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, good visual display, and stable
    • "Its visual display and ease of use are most valuable."
    • "Once a story is closed, all the records, versions, and documentation associated with it are gone. We lose the traceability of what was done."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for portfolio countdown. I work as an enterprise architect in the company, and my usage of Jira is minimal. Software engineers in our company use Jira very heavily, but I do not use it for my day-to-day work.

How has it helped my organization?

Cadence management has improved with Jira bots.

What is most valuable?

Its visual display and ease of use are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, the status change is too difficult. The change of status is not configured correctly. We sometimes have a limitation on the number of changes that each workflow can do, so we get very restricted with the changes, and status change gets difficult. It could be specific to our implementation.

Color codes are currently missing in Jira. It is very limited in that aspect. I would like to be able to color certain impediments or features in red. I don't want to look at everything ticket by ticket. I just want to be able to look at the colors and see where we are. I am not getting that in Jira currently. Maybe it is there, and I don't know about it.

It is stable.

Once we moved to the cloud, it became better. Its scalability should be good.

We have more than 2,000 users. It is extensively used, and we want to use it more and more.

We never had a similar solution because we were a waterfall organization. After we moved to the Agile methodology, we started using Jira.

I was not a part of its implementation.

We most probably didn't evaluate other solutions. For Portfolio for Jira, we considered other solutions such as Planview or ServiceNow, but for the software engineering development life cycle, we probably didn't evaluate anything.

What other advice do I have?

When we cut over to Agile, it was a huge task to get everybody on the same page in terms of the setup and rollout. When we looked at each other's desktops, it looked so different, and our central team did a lot of effort in making it all look the same. I saw the full central team being pulled forward to resolve these inconsistencies.

It is so open that it allows inconsistency. So, you need to have a very strong and resourced team for the initial setup, implementation, and training. Otherwise, it can just fail. It could be a good thing that it is open, and everybody can have their own Jira, but finally, when the organization wants some statistics on what's happening at the enterprise level, you will not get any data. So, my suggestion to anyone cutting over to Jira is to have a very strong and resourced team centrally. You should roll out, learn, and come back to it. You should repeat this process and keep on learning and coming back. It has to be a very strong cycle.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Jira
    June 2022
    610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Release Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Helpful features, good flexibility, and scalable
    • "The layout, workflow, automation, and metrics are helpful in Jira."
    • "The biggest complaint industry-wide about JIRA is they need to purchase additional extensions, such as reporting automation. If they could provide some additional extensions from the initial purchase it would be a huge benefit."

What is our primary use case?

I am working on a project which involves moving Jira onto the Azure boards. We use Azure DevOps for our repository and pipelines and we are looking to move on to Azure boards from JIRA for our ticketing or change request management.

How has it helped my organization?

Jira has helped our company because the board layouts are easier to use and has helped us see what is happening in regards to stories and bugs.

What is most valuable?

The layout, workflow, automation, and metrics are helpful in Jira.

The flexibility of defining your columns that can possibly contain multiple statuses is important. When you have teams that are different levels of granularity, the C levels, only care that it is in progress, but the leads want to know that it is in QA or development. You can accomplish these types of things with JIRA.

What needs improvement?

The biggest complaint industry-wide about JIRA is they need to purchase additional extensions, such as reporting automation. If they could provide some additional extensions from the initial purchase it would be a huge benefit.

When using the service desk and the developer, the transition could be better between the two. For example, we asked the support desk to send a ticket over to the development and it was a little bit cumbersome. We had to recreate another ticket for development, then we had two tickets, one service desk, and one development. It would be beneficial if the process was more smooth between those two packages.

I have been using Jira for approximately eight years.

The stability of the cloud version of JIRA is very good. However, we did have some issues with the on-premise version but the issue could have been because our servers were overloaded.

The scalability has been very good.

We have approximately 40 people using this solution in my organization, which is mostly everyone. It is used by many departments, such as project offices, development, and coding QA. The only department that is not involved in the use of the solution is the company support. I had worked at a company previously that used the JIRA service desk for their support and it worked well.

I have previously used DevOps and Rally.

JIRA installation is complicated. It is similar to a lot of other systems, the more flexible they tend to be more complicated they become.

We do the maintenance of the solution which is adding users and moving them around. The solution is very hands-off, it does not require a lot of maintenance.

We currently are evaluating other options and are doing a study to see if we are going to continue using JIRA or move to something else.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement this solution to contact an expert.

This solution is a top-of-the-line CRM, I have used the others solutions, and it has the most flexibility and the best visibility.

I rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Mohammad Ranjbar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Product Owner at Day Insurance
    While scalable, the dashboard is problematic and I feel Azure DevOps to be more user-friendly
    • "We have not encountered difficulties with the scalability."
    • "I find the dashboard to be Jira's most problematic feature."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for software project management and software lifecycles. Jira covers the entire process from requirement analysis to deployment.

What needs improvement?

I prefer Azure DevOps and Microsoft Ecosystem to Jira.

I consider Azure DevOps to be more user-friendly and to provide a better user experience. I feel Jira to be a bit difficult to work with. I specifically recall that i encountered difficulties with Jira when I wished to receive or generate a report. Azure DevOps offers a simpler and more user-friendly panel than Jira. Jira's reporting panel is not user-friendly and a bit on the difficult side. Azure DevOps also offers more options for generating queries and reports, especially when it comes to great dashboard visualization capabilities for the monitoring of one's project. This poses a big problem with Jira, as Azure DevOps does a better job of providing this feature.

I find the dashboard to be Jira's most problematic feature. I do not like it and feel Jira is troublesome when it comes to visualizing the reports. These should be improved.

Azure DevOps offers more simplified processes, maintenance and development than Jira.

I used Jira for around one year, at which point I left my previous company and made use of it in the new one I joined, where I continued to do so.

I find the solution to be stable, though a bit hard to use.

We have not encountered difficulties with the scalability.

We have had no issues with support. As with Azure DevOps, we take advantage of the open community and forums for resolving any issues which may arise.

I prefer Azure DevOps and Microsoft Ecosystem to Jira.

I consider Azure DevOps to be more user friendly and to provide a better user experience. I feel Jira to be a bit difficult to work with. I specifically recall that i encountered difficulties with Jira when I wished to receive or generate a report. Azure DevOps offers a simpler and more user-friendly panel than Jira. Jira's reporting panel is not user-friendly and a bit on the difficult side. It also offers more options for generating queries and reports, especially when it comes to great dashboard visualization capabilities for the monitoring of one's project. This posed a big problem with Jira, as Azure DevOps does a better job of providing this feature.

I find the dashboard to be Jira's most problematic feature. I do not like it and feel Jira is problematic when it comes to visualizing the reports. These should be improved.

Azure DevOps offers a more simplified processes, maintenance and development than Jira.

We make use of the solution free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation, for sure, is that a person go with Azure DevOps.

I rate Jira as a six out of ten.

Agile Coach at Dr. Agile
    Gives good visibility into teams, quickly and effectively
    • "I enjoy working with (and can recommend) Jira for a number of reasons. The best features are that it is friendly and provides good visibility. It's to the point and very effective."
    • "In terms of the general Jira software, one element that is missing is budget management. Perhaps such functionality exists in add-ons, however."

What is our primary use case?

I am an Agile coach and consultant, and my clients use Jira to manage Agile teams, including tracking and gathering reports on performance at the team level as well as the team-of-teams level.

Since I work with different companies in my consulting work, there are different versions and implementations of Jira that I deal with. Most of the time I work with Jira on-premises, although I have worked a few times on the cloud edition.

In the near future, I most likely be using Jira Portfolio instead of the regular Jira because that will be my new responsibility.

What is most valuable?

When I start work with a company, one of the promises I give them is that they will get visibility, and very quickly at that. We are able to easily create boards and have the teams start work with story points. Then, we will make use of the Structure feature, which is another good feature that we get benefit from.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the general Jira software, one element that is missing is budget management. Perhaps such functionality exists in add-ons, however. Once, several years ago, I tried to use one such add-on (the name of which I can't recall) but I dropped it because it was not effective enough. If we had this feature, I think we could provide the whole picture to top management.

I have been using Jira for about five years.

It is stable.

It's not scalable enough, in my opinion. To explain, I have a specific level of understanding of Jira so I am able to make specific customization to support activities at scale, but I don't feel like Jira is easily scalable out of the box. It's not always natural to scale up Jira without customization.

The technical support that I receive is not necessarily talking with any Jira support team, but rather it involves using the community's help from the internet.

On one hand, this avenue of assistance is quite good because I can often find answers there, but sometimes it's not enough. In these cases, Jira will ask to open a ticket and to vote on it so it gets priority. But it's frustrating because we might still not get answers, or we don't find anyone able to handle our issue for months or for years.

Overall, and for most problems, I think I have enough documentation so I can figure out what to do and how to do it. When compared with other tools, I think that Jira's documentation is clear.

I don't deal with licensing in my current consultant position.

What other advice do I have?

For application lifecycle management, I can definitely recommend Jira and I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Sr Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scalable and easy to set up with good prioritization capabilities
    • "The initial setup isn't too complicated."
    • "It is not intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for use cases and make sure that our tasks and priorities are getting done.

What is most valuable?

I like that we can actually categorize the stuff from high priority to a lower priority. You can make categories and you can focus on the right items that need to be worked on.

The initial setup isn't too complicated.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

It is not intuitive. It was hard for me to understand how to use it right away. It would be ideal if they could make the solution more user-friendly so that it is easier to pick up.

I haven't been using the solution for that long just yet. it's been about six months or so.

There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable and the performance is good.

The solution can scale well. it's pretty straightforward if you need to do so.

We have product owners, project managers, and scrum masters on the solution. I would say that we have a thousand people using it, however, I'm not saying that for sure, as the bank has 46,000 employees and I'm just a part of a small team. I'm estimating that I would expect over a thousand people to use it.

I have never used technical support. I've been able to manage everything and figure stuff out with the stuff I have here. Everything is available to me.

I did use a different solution, however, I switched when I switched roles at the company.

For the most part, the solution was set up for us. My understanding is that it was pretty simple I assisted a bit, and I found that the navigation piece was not enjoyable to implement.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using currently.

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd advise users considering the solution to make sure that they have a little time to review it and understand the tool and make sure they actually find that it is a good solution to meet their needs and that it's what they're looking for. From Agile delivery teams that are here to deliver their MVPs and stuff like that, I think it's great to keep track of all their backlogs and stuff like that. It is also great for someone from a use case perspective as they break it down well.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Of course, I'm still learning it. That said, it's great for keeping track of all the items and the stuff that needs to be done and for the use cases that have been closed, to make sure that we get the proper sign-off and understand the line of business.

SujoyGuha - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Release Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User-friendly and provides very good visibility and traceability, but should have role-based access and more reports
    • "It provides very good visibility and traceability. You can clearly see each and every part of a process. It is also user-friendly and robust. It is working well, and there are a lot of add-ons or plug-ins out there that you can use."
    • "It would be good if we can grant access based on the roles. This is something that Jira can look into. Currently, anyone with Jira access can access everything. Being able to define access based on the roles will give us more flexibility in managing Jira. I would like to have more reports in Jira. Currently, eight or nine reports are there. You can use Screen Test to get more reports or data from Jira, but you will have to get more add-ons, plug-ins, and stuff like that. It would be good if they can increase the number of reports."

What is our primary use case?

It is used by the agile teams for product development and feature management.

What is most valuable?

It provides very good visibility and traceability. You can clearly see each and every part of a process. It is also user-friendly and robust.

It is working well, and there are a lot of add-ons or plug-ins out there that you can use.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if we can grant access based on the roles. This is something that Jira can look into. Currently, anyone with Jira access can access everything. Being able to define access based on the roles will give us more flexibility in managing Jira.

I would like to have more reports in Jira. Currently,  eight or nine reports are there. You can use Screen Test to get more reports or data from Jira, but you will have to get more add-ons, plug-ins, and stuff like that. It would be good if they can increase the number of reports.

I have been using this solution for five years.

It is stable. I don't see any instability in Jira.

It is easily scalable. We have around 1,500 users.

I have not directly interacted with Jira's technical support. We have an internal Jira service desk for any issues.

I have used HP ALM, version 11, and it was not so robust. I found Jira to be more robust. In HP ALM, you can define the requirements and test cases and map them, but you cannot see the in-depth requirements, whereas Jira provides more visibility, and you can see each and every part of a process very clearly. It is more open and user-friendly.

Traceability is very important for the SDLC process, testing lifecycle, and audits, which is one of the key features that Jira provides. It provides detailed traceability so that you can easily know about the sprints and change requests. With HP ALM, you can define requirements only in one or two lines. It is more of a testing tool. It is not a development lifecycle tool.

The initial setup for Jira was done by a third-party vendor, so we did not face any issues. The migration from an older application to Jira was not so easy, and it required a lot of effort.

It was implemented by a third-party vendor. It requires maintenance, but it is not so difficult to maintain. For maintenance and administration, we have an internal Jira service desk.

You need to do upgrades because you tend to have requirements from different stakeholders. You also have different add-ons and plugins, and Jira also keeps on releasing new versions that might be useful.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Jira a seven out of ten because there are some areas to be improved in Jira.

Senior Front End Engineer
    Good interface and overall user experience
    • "The JIRA user interface looks great. It's an overall good experience. It's very intuitive in the sense that you understand how it's going to work. It's very self-explanatory, and it's beneficial overall."
    • "So at one point in time, they did a huge UI upgrade. At that time, I felt like they had changed something, so it was hard to figure out. Now that we are habituated, it's not an issue now."

What is our primary use case?

It is helpful for bug tracking in software development. If developers are doing some work and testers notice some defects, they can flag it in JIRA. For example, I track my day-to-day work in JIRA so that others know what I'm working on. They can look at JIRA and don't need to contact me. From JIRA, they can find out that I am working on this project and spent two days on it, etc. It's used for so many things, like task management, bug tracking, and release management.

JIRA is not for deployment. For deployment, you are going to use some tools like Jenkins. It's meant for all the features that are going into that deployment.

Different teams within the company use JIRA. For example, everybody in the engineering section uses it, so altogether, that's around 200 people.

How has it helped my organization?

JIRA gives us a lot of visibility. For example, if you're planning to release a given feature, you can track the status of that feature. Is it working correctly, or does it have some bugs? So you have a high level of visibility on the work.

What is most valuable?

The JIRA user interface looks great. It's an overall good experience. It's very intuitive in the sense that you understand how it's going to work. It's very self-explanatory, and it's beneficial overall. Each release has different steps and phases, and the whole thing can mostly be captured on JIRA. The workflows are really helpful.

What needs improvement?

So at one point in time, they did a huge UI upgrade. At that time, I felt like they had changed something, so it was hard to figure out. Now that we are habituated, it's not an issue now. We had gotten used to the old interface, so things changed, we felt an initial discomfort. That's the only thing. Otherwise, there is nothing I dislike about JIRA.

I've used JIRA since the beginning of my career and nothing else.

I haven't had any issues with JIRA's stability so far.

The scalability of JIRA has always been good. The response time is always fast. I've never had any issues with scalability. I think no matter how much our usage increases, we'll continue to use JIRA.  But, I think our usage is at an optimal level.

From our end, setup is basically book-keeping. I can't say much about the overall setup because there is an administrator for JIRA who adds users and sets everything up. I haven't been an administrator. I'm just consuming the JIRA.

Initially, I think administrators are going to set some things like configuring the workflow should and then how you want to say things. But other than that, if you set it up once, it's going to work. You don't have to do much maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I rate JIRA nine out of 10. I would recommend it.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022