IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Business Analyst at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good customized dashboards with good scalability and good stability
  • "Most of my work is keeping track of what's been going on and identifying what is blocking future work. What I like about this solution is you can create a consolidated customized dashboard out of your files to identify what's been going on and identify who has how much data assigned to them."
  • "The challenge which I frequently see from Jira is the label. When you search for a label sometimes, it suddenly disappears. If there's a mismatch due to all-caps or lower case, you won't be able to find it. It won't even come up as a recommendation or suggestion. That's something that can be really frustrating, as people create labels in their own specific ways and then no one else can find anything."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for product development efforts and documentation. We use Confluence as well for documentation.

What is most valuable?

Most of my work is keeping track of what's been going on and identifying what is blocking future work. What I like about this solution is you can create a consolidated customized dashboard out of your files to identify what's been going on and identify who has how much data assigned to them. You can begin to understand where roadblocks are and how to streamline efforts effectively. It's been helpful.

What needs improvement?

The challenge which I frequently see from Jira is the label. When you search for a label sometimes, it suddenly disappears. If there's a mismatch due to all-caps or lower case, you won't be able to find it. It won't even come up as a recommendation or suggestion. That's something that can be really frustrating, as people create labels in their own specific ways and then no one else can find anything. While it should be a standard thing across the company to have labels created in certain way, the system should be able to pull up suggestions of labels that are close.  The product could be more intuitive.  If something isn't getting resolved, we generally aren't getting any alerts to warn us to this fact. We don't get any visibility on if something's been open for a few months even if it should have been closed after a few days. We need some sort of system that shows us items that are lagging.

I've been using the solution for about six months to a year or so. It hasn't been too long. Our company has been using it since they started doing development work.
Jira
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In my experience, most of the time it's very stable. Sometimes we have a few bugs here and there in Jira. However, it doesn't affect our work in a very big way. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I'm not sure about the whole company, however, on my team, we use it extensively. We have around 30 to 35 people using it on this team. Obviously, they are using it on other teams as well, however, I don't know the count of each team. In terms of scalability, we are able to add new users as needed, and that has never been a problem for us.

I've never had to reach out to technical support. I don't know how responsive or knowledgeable they are.

I didn't previously use another solution, Jira is the first product I've used for this purpose.

I actually was not involved in the initial process of the setup, therefore, I can't comment on the process. I have no idea as to if it was difficult or straightforward. I'm not aware of any regular maintenance that is needed on the product.

I don't deal with the financial aspect of the product. I cannot comment on if it is overly expensive or not as I don't handle billing or payments.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Jira. I'm not sure of which version of the solution we are using. I'd recommend others go ahead and try the trial version of the product. If, after that, it seems to fit your needs, a company should go ahead and implement it fully. Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Osama  Shatarah - PeerSpot reviewer
Product Owner at mega trust
Easy to set up, good UX, and simple to use without a tutorial
  • "The scalability is good."
  • "There needs to be a way to export a user story."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for software management.

What is most valuable?

I really like the linking and user stories, and the formatting on the solution. The formatting options and linking the user stories have been great.

You can export the whole backlog if you want to - including your roadmap.

The initial setup is easier than the TFS.

The UX and useability os good, especially if you compare it to a solution such as TFS.

You can use it right away without too much of a tutorial.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

I would suggest Jira makes the format compatible with Microsoft Word. Currently, when you copy and paste something from Jira, such as tables, it won't be the same when you copy it into a Word file. There are formatting issues.

If you have 70 or 100 stories, it doesn't work to copy and paste or export each one individually. There needs to be better configuration at a categorization level.

There needs to be a way to export a user story.

By default, Jira is epic and story only. It would be ideal if there was a different categorization between the two. It would be nice if there was a third story option.

There should be a plugin for test cases.

If the solution doesn't have third-party plugins for some features, they should add it into the main offering to make it more complete.

I don't have a lot of experience. I only have about four months of experience or something like that. It's not a huge amount of experience, however, I got familiar with the basic features of Jira over that time. The first two months might have been on a trial version.

The solution is stable most of the time. Only rarely are there some points where it's not stable. For example, when you view some issues, sometimes it gives an error. Then, after that, if you refresh or you open it at another time, it may work again.

The solution can scale. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so.

We have more than ten people on the solution.

If you need to find answers, the community FAQs are pretty good. I've found issues in there in the past that have helped me troubleshoot. So far, I'm pretty satisfied with that aspect of support.

The initial setup is straightforward and simple. It's not difficult or complex.

I don't deal with pricing, billing, or licensing. I can't speak to the exact cost of the solution.

We likely pay a licensing fee as we have more than ten people using the solution, however, I can't say what the exact cost is.

I have been researching the difference between Jira and TFS, to decide what is better for our team to use. I'm very familiar with Jira. However, some of my team members have experience with TFS. I'm trying to decide which management tool we will use in an upcoming project.

I have found that, with TFS, a lot of the features are built-in, however, with Jira, you are required to add in plugins.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. For the most part, we have been satisfied with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution, however, I would warn that likely a company will also need to add many plugins in order to get the solution to do what they need it to.

Jira
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Simple, extensible, and requires minimal training to get started
  • "There are a couple of things that I find valuable about Jira, the first being its architecture. For instance, I like that you can create dashboards easily, which makes it very user-friendly. You don't need much training on that. You can just get right to it and people are able to use almost all of Jira's features with little training."
  • "In terms of improvement, I think Jira (Jira Agile, specifically) can be made more user-friendly. Most of the time, when people are somewhat used to the process, they find it easy to work with. But the thing is, if I want to create a sprint, I'd like the ability for it to come out like a kind of board or something like that. For example, they could offer something like a wizard for users who want to quickly create a sprint on the spot with a few clicks. I think that could be useful."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Jira software, including Jira Issue Manager, for bug tracking and project management, and have done so for over a decade. Then in the last six years we have also used Jira Agile in a lot of our project management work. We use the enterprise version of Jira.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of Jira is the part that I like the most, as well as the way in which it can be extended. For example, I like that you can send data to and from Jira easily, and it integrates well with lots of third-party plugins.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, I think Jira (Jira Agile, specifically) can be made more user-friendly. Most of the time, when people are somewhat used to the process, they find it easy to work with. But the thing is, if I want to create a sprint, I'd like the ability for it to come out like a kind of board or something like that. For example, they could offer something like a wizard for users who want to quickly create a sprint on the spot with a few clicks. I think that could be useful.

When I first started using Jira and we were in the middle of coming up with a solution, I found that there could be better separation of tasks when it comes to user stories and epics. For example, right now we can take users and sub-task them, but the developer is not able to easily ask for or request a task as a separate thing to work on.

Other than that, I would definitely appreciate more kinds of features in general. But we have already requested these from Jira ourselves with their voting system. These requests are in their backlog now and we hope to see them in future soon.

We have been using Jira for more than ten years.

I feel it is quite stable, not least because it has been around for a long time. For the last few years, we have never see any issues from our location or any other location that our people use it from.

We have never had to use Jira's support as far as I know.

I wasn't fully involved in the initial enterprise setup of Jira, but I remember first trying out some of the plugins on my laptop and I found it all rather easy. And for the people in charge of the main setup, they were able to install it and set it up quite fast.

We are using the enterprise license which is nice because it ensures that we always have the latest versions of Jira software.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Jira for project management and similar uses, as well as other products from Atlassian like Bamboo.

Jira isn't what you would call a "coded solution" for scrum or anything like that, but it's able to do a lot of different things for people who are looking for that kind of thing. If you are looking for a custom-made solution specifically for agile or scrum, then you can go try other products like Valley or others. But if you want a good general-purpose project management system with solid integration solutions like Bamboo, then I think Jira is the product for you.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Chief Software Architect at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Scalable, great for project management, and is very stable
  • "Overall, the solution is very nice and has a variety of great features."
  • "For me, the solution is too complicated as it has too many features. It would be nice if they could streamline things."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use the solution for project management. We are using Jira for our software development purposes only. Usually, we create a Jira project for each project and develop it according to its size. We assign team members who will belong to those projects, each project. Then, we manage everything using Jira.

Basically, the main purpose of using Jira is just planning and then checking issues. That's all for now.

How has it helped my organization?

We can lean on Jira completely during projects, even in terms of all the small things, surrounding planning. There are error reports, and we can take in the progress. We are not using any other tool except Jira for managing software development, including the testing and reports and following up.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution is very nice and has a variety of great features.

The stability of the solution has been quite good.

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

It's a very useful project management tool.

What needs improvement?

They can make it a little bit better in terms of the user interface. Some things are very scattered. It is a bit confusing. They developed a new user interface, and I cannot follow the changes. There's documentation, however, it's not so good.

The solution has a pretty steep learning curve. It would be great if they could lessen the learning curve by providing more templates and ready-made options for new users to take advantage of.

I've been using the solution for almost two years. It's been a while.

In terms of stability, we haven't experienced any crash or anything like that. There are no bugs or glitches. We haven't suffered any issue with the Jira service itself so far.

Due to the fact that we are using the cloud service of Jira, we don't have any experience with any lagging or delaying or any of those kinds of issues yet. The team is managing this scalability and can scale up and down their resources automatically in the background. I don't have any issues with the scalability that's provided.

We are a small organization. We only have a team of 20 developers. We might increase usage in the future, should our team grow.

We haven't had to reach out to technical support just yet. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I wasn't directly involved in the implementation process. I can't speak to what cloud the product is on or the exact details of the deployment.

We have only two people for the Jira management. We are only paying attention to security. We ensure we are giving the right permission to the right person, that is the only factor we are focusing on.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users.

As we are using the cloud version of the solution, we are always on the most up-to-date version.

For simple project management, Jira is too much. If you want to manage a project precisely, however, then I can recommend Jira. It's not only a software-specific version. There are different versions of Jira so that you can apply it to different areas - not just software. That is one good aspect. I'd say that it is very polished, and has a very well-defined approach to project management.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've mostly been happy with how it's worked for us.

Consultor Funcional SAP at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to learn, simple to navigate through, and offers many add-ons
  • "We've found the scalability to be good."
  • "I manage the progress of the stories in an Excel chart with dates on work progress or thing to do. I don't like the progress or the stage changing from the stories in Jira."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is using the boards in working stories for freeing up the backlog and assigning tasks to my developer team.

No other stats of graphics or reports from Jira are used. We use Grafana instead of that.

What is most valuable?

I really enjoy the easy way I can follow up the story's progress even when they are in progress or we test bug stories. When issues arise, they can play back to the team in order to fix all the bugs. They have a view of the backlogs in the current sprint and the next sprint.

The initial setup is straightforward.

There are many Jira add-ons available, however, we aren't using those yet.

The solution is stable.

We've found the scalability to be good.

What needs improvement?

I alternate Jira with Excel. I manage the progress of the stories in an Excel chart with dates on work progress or thing to do. I don't like the progress or the stage changing from the stories in Jira.

I've been using Jira for about four years. It's been a while.

The stability is quite good. There are only some updates that are made by IT, however, it's working fine for me. I haven't dealt with bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. I've tried other solutions, and this one seems to be the most adequate for my needs.

We have about 1,000 users worldwide. There are several projects running in several parts of the world.

We do not plan to increase usage. We are using it as we need it and no more than that.

We've never faced any big issues and we have never had Jira go down. Therefore, we've never had a need to contact technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I found the initial setup to be pretty simple and straightforward. It was not an overly complex process.

However, largely, we are just testing Jira. I can't speak to how long the deployment takes.

I have three teams that can handle deployment tasks. There are six people in one, seven in another, and ten in the third one.

We do not use resellers or integrators to assist with the initial setup. We can handle the process ourselves.

I don't have any information in regards to the licensing or cost of the solution. It's not an aspect of Jira I handle.

I have tried or tested other options such as Excel, Monday, Trello, Tetra. In comparison, for how I use it, Jira is the most adequate for my daily job.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user.

Nowadays I'm using the web version of Jira for my client. I'm managing my boards, my sprints, and my backlog which are all working on Jira except the retrospectives. These are made in a code and not written down in Jira.

I would recommend the solution to others. It's easy to learn, easy to handle, and we've never experienced any downtime for a year and a half at least.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I haven't fully utilized the entire product, however, from what I have seen, it's exactly what we require.

Microsoft Azure
Chief Architect / Owner at a security firm with 1-10 employees
It just works; great bug tracker saves time
  • "We do not have a lot of time for investigating new things, but Jira has saved us a great deal of time. It has a nice user interface and we can do a lot of things with it."
  • "They are not supporting in-house servers anymore and I think I've got until January to port this to something else."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily a software development company. We work on some very specialized software for the government. So, we use Jira as our primary bug/issue tracker. We are also looking to put some add-ins in it to help with configuration management.

We also use it for configuration management and task assignment, but that's all within the bug tracker itself. What's good for us is that we are not doing all of that in three different applications. That's very useful. I'm sure larger businesses can find other uses and plugins for it, but right at the moment, Jira is fulfilling our needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We think Jira is great, it's been a real help as an issue tracker for us. We have had no problems with it. It just works; it's always worked. We never lose any data. So, we're happy to try to keep it going in the future.

We are a small business and we're up to our ankles in getting code out the door on a regular basis. We do not have a lot of time for investigating new things, but Jira has saved us a great deal of time. It has a nice user interface and we can do a lot of things with it.

What needs improvement?

They are not supporting in-house servers anymore and I think I've got until January to port this to something else. The issue is not that it is difficult to move Jira to another server, but we have a relatively large database on an SQL Server that Jira either uses or created and we do not want to lose that data.

We are not a very large company so that is a problem. A lot of our business is on Azure and I would prefer to have an Azure solution for our software management. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to move Jira over to Azure on our servers. As a small company, we just don't have a lot of time to solve those kinds of problems. So we may end up moving to something else if it turns out to be more difficult than we can handle.

Everybody has to make business decisions and obviously, right now, we're not in that sweet spot for them. But, moving onto the cloud has its advantages too.

We are using Jira regularly now and have been for about a year.

My impressions of Jira's stability are good. We are running the Jira application on a Windows Server 2019. We also have a large SQL database server running on Windows that Jira accesses. So, there's a Jira database running on the SQL Server and the Jira app and it's never gone down.

Jira is a scalable solution. We have not run into any issues with it.

We have used a number of things from spreadsheets to in-house-built issue trackers. But Jira worked right out of the box.

For a small business, this quality of a product for the price is really nice. I think we're paying $78 a month or something like that right now.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it. Now I'm a 10-person development company with about 30 staff members. If you don't have a lot of IT support and you're doing everything yourself, Jira is a great product for you. It's not hard to install and it just works.

Hashem Alhariri - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Testing Manager at Cloud Solutions
Quick and easy to customize
  • "The feature that I have found most valuable is its ease of use. I don't need to train anyone to use it, I just give them access and they can use it to add comments, move their issues, change the status, monitor, read, and so on."
  • "There is a difference between their cloud and their server versions. The next-gen project, which is an advanced feature that allows you to visualize the road map of your delivery over multiple products and over time, is not available yet for the sever version. It appears there in the list, but it's still not right. I've tried to use it many times and I am watching the device show their tracker, but it seems they intentionally want this to increase the utilization of the cloud instead of the server. It is really a nice feature and it's a shame that we don't have it."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for multiple uses; project management, task management, and we are starting to use it for release management.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its ease of use. I don't need to train anyone to use it, I just give them access and they can use it to add comments, move their issues, change the status, monitor, read, and so on. For these results, it is very helpful. I also like the customization that we had for the workflows for the different issues, it's quick and easy to customize. The reporting is also easy and the dashboards that they provide are really helpful and simple. It does not need a lot of experience with reporting and presentation to get to what you need. Also, most of the advanced reports that you need to create can be exported as Excel files.

What needs improvement?

I have been watching an issue develop. There is a difference between their cloud and their  server versions. The next-gen project, which is an advanced feature that allows you to visualize the road map of your delivery over multiple products and over time, is not available yet for the sever version. It appears there in the list, but it's still not right. I've tried to use it many times and I am watching the device show their tracker, but it seems they intentionally want this to increase the utilization of the cloud instead of the server. It is really a nice feature and it's a shame that we don't have it.

Additionally, it would be really nice if they added some custom reports so that you could build your own report through any open source or commercial plug-in like Crystal Reports. That would be much easier for them to accelerate. You can create a report template and use it frequently.

There are a few features I would like to see in the next release. For example, the layouts could be easier to configure on the screens. I know it's easy to customize. For each issue type you can create and modify your screen. But it would be easier if you could enlarge, copy, clone, and visualize them in a model in a visual way. It's really hard for me as an admin to compare different screens or even to copy one screen with one additional field. I believe that is creating a lot of confusion for end-users because usually admins are looking at each field independently, where it's located, in which position, and which screen. So that all needs to be improved from an administration point of view to make it easier to visualize and compare between the screens.

I have been using Jira for almost a year now.

In terms of stability, it is fine.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. The deployment is very easy. It just took one server.

It took one day to set up the database and then start the configuration. That is straightforward. And I believe they have a newer deployment model that they can deploy on Docker and other container platforms.

I did it myself with some help from other team members.

What other advice do I have?

Jira is an amazing tool, but to get the process streamlined is a challenge. So don't start from Jira. Start with your process first. Agree on the workflow, identify all the stakeholders, and then from there you can go ahead with Jira and implement anything.

On a scale of one to ten, I give Jira a 10.

Everything already provided is perfect. We are using Jira perfectly for one year now and it's absolutely great.

IT Business Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
  • "The most valuable features are that it is good for tracking the issues and it provides for the usage of Confluence."
  • "It is a bit harder for management or the business partners. I used to search the Atlassian Community online for some troubleshooting issues and I think there were some issues that seemed to not be a big problem for other similar applications, like Microsoft Teams, that were not considered by Jira."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Jira is for requests for tracking the software development.

We use Jira for the process, especially for password tracking. We're the issue management team for development. We are quite new, so I was very interested in ITSM documentation provided by Jira. But, I needed time to readjust that to our organization as per the line of business.

Overall I think it's helpful, but I need some time to absorb all the knowledge.

How has it helped my organization?

People have different opinions about whether it has improved our organization. I think it is quite a valuable tool and platform to streamline tasks, make project plans, and manage the release events.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is good for tracking the issues and it provides for the usage of Confluence. The documentation is another supporting part for development. I didn't go that deep, so that's what I see as the end user.

In general, it's very convenient for people that work in the software development business.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, it is a bit harder for management or the business partners. I used to search the Atlassian Community online for some troubleshooting issues and I think there were some issues that seemed to not be a big problem for other similar applications, like Microsoft Teams, that were not considered by Jira.

So I hope those will be considered soon. I think for some, the help documentation has been hard to track, so that I had a bit of difficulty finding the solutions. I'm the end user. I'm not the problem solver.

I have been using Jira for less than a year.

It does have some bugs or glitches sometimes. Like with Confluence, it always has some glitches, like the last edits I made minutes ago. It happens sometimes.

I don't know about the scalability. I just use the very basic one.

Only our IT people are using it. It's easier for IT people to understand it than anyone else.

We have our technical support from our vendor. They are very supportive.

No, we didn't use another solution previously. We used to manage those processes manually, like the spreadsheet. That's why we would like to switch to the Atlassian platform for some automations and for a mature platform to help us.

We had our vendor help to set up originally. Later, we made some customizations by other means. But because this is still at a very early age for us, it's a bit random on previous customizations. There were some blockages for people to understand from different perspectives. But I think so far the business people may not understand those procedures because it was originally designed for the coders and for the software development business.

We are using the Community license for Jira since we are a not-for-profit organization.

What other advice do I have?

I think the technical support and the customization of the line of business are the most important points for me as a BA. I don't think the license for a business is low.

We think - so far so good.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Jira an eight out of 10.

Nothing is perfect.

Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022