We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Windows Server Technology Team Lead at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Open-source, easy to install, and stable
  • "It's a flexible solution."
  • "Outside of the normal standard monitoring, I would like to extend patching, importing patching, and supporting patching for Windows Servers."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently doing a POC. For now, it is our testing tool.

We use it mostly as a monitoring infrastructure for services and applications, and it also monitors the capacity.

What is most valuable?

As we are still in the test phase, we have not yet explored all of the features offered in this product.

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

My main intention is to support or use Zabbix to report patching for servers, or to somehow maintain the patching from Zabbix.

I have been using Zabbix for one year.

We are using the newest version.

Zabbix is a stable solution.

We have not yet tested the scalability of this solution. We tested it on a small group of devices, so it is difficult to say at this time.

We intentions to install more features on the device. During the testing, we don't have all of the resources to manage all installations.

We have approximately 40 users in our organization who are using Zabbix.

We have contacted technical support from Zabbix, and have spoken with partners from Poland.

I have more experience with the WhatsUp Gold Monitoring tool. I still have WhatsUp Gold but we are going to replace it.

We are testing other tools that are free.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy.

With the help of suppliers, it did not take much time to deploy. It was not complex.

As we were using it for testing, we were using suppliers.

We will need a team of experts for this solution as well as some external support.

There is no license but we need to pay for support.

Zabbix is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

With my current experience, I would rate Zabbix an eight out of ten.

Yugandhar Sarraju
Senior Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Straightforward interface and no issues with stability, but the discovery process is not fully automated
  • "The most valuable feature is service assurance."
  • "Zabbix claims that there is an auto-discovery process but my team member was facing difficulty and was told that it's not really automatic, and there are some manual steps."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Zabbix as our network monitoring solution. We are now trying to understand how to use the service assurance functionality, as we would like to leverage Zabbix for this task.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is service assurance.

The interface is pretty straightforward. As long as the agent is running on another instance and Zabbix is able to connect to the agent, we haven't seen any issues.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with Zabbix for the past month. We are conducting a proof of concept with it.

We are not yet using Zabbix very much. We have spawned the Zabbix server and only a couple of AWS instances are running, which it is monitoring. This is to make sure there are no billing problems in AWS. At the end of the day, we stop the Zabbix monitoring. The next day when we come in, we start it again.

At this point, with our limited usage, we have not seen any issues with stability. Perhaps, once it has been running full-time for a week or longer, we may hit those types of issues.

During our PoC, we only have two technical people working with it.

This is the first monitoring product that we have worked with. Prior to this, we were dealing with NMS and CMS products.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. We did not face any issues and it was up and running within a day.

Our in-house technician completed the deployment.

This is an open-source solution that can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, it is too early for me to recommend Zabbix one way or the other, as we have just scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Zabbix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and manage but delivers too many false positives
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "The user interface could be better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for monitoring servers, printers, and network switches.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to use and manage.

The solution is stable.

You can scale the product well.

There is a free open-source version of the solution.

What needs improvement?

I don't like to use the solution for the most part.

I get too many false positives. I get a problem one minute and then it's okay the next. That happens a lot. I hate that.

The user interface could be better.

The performance needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for six years or so. I've used the solution for a while at this point.

I don't have any issues with the stability. The performance isn't great, however. That said, it doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't really any bugs.

The scalability is good. A company can easily expand it.

We have about five users who monitor it constantly. I no longer manage it myself.

I've never contacted technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I need to be able to monitor stuff and I can't monitor these things now, so I am using other products for it.

The installation happened a long time ago. I can't recall what the implementation was like in terms of if it was complete or straightforward.

You only need one person to handle the maintenance.

I'm using a free version. I do not pay any licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution. I really don't like it as it generates a lot of false information. That said, it is a good monitoring solution, for what it's worth.

Responsible Infrastructure and Production at Oasis SmartSim
Open-source, easy to implement, and the dashboard is customizable
  • "Zabbix is very easy to implement."
  • "If you want to use all of the features then you have to pay a licensing fee."

What is our primary use case?

We have two Zabbix servers, deployed locally and in our New York datacenter, and we use them for monitoring traffic. It is an order processing system and we need to schedule and monitor our infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Zabbix is very easy to implement.

The interface is customizable, so we can create the dashboard that we need.

What needs improvement?

We need to set it up step by step in order to ensure that it is stable and works properly.

If you want to use all of the features then you have to pay a licensing fee.

I have been using Zabbix for approximately one year.

We use Zabbix on a daily basis and we haven't had any issues with stability.

We have not needed to expand it because our infrastructure is very small. It includes a server and some VMs.

When we have a problem, we search the web site for how to resolve it. We have never had an issue that necessitated contacting technical support.

In my last job, I worked with Nagios. I found that Zabbix is a good system for monitoring and it is easier to implement, and it is also less expensive.

The initial setup is easy to do. It involves implementing agents in the server, but it is not difficult.

We implemented it with our in-house team that is also responsible for maintenance. This includes updates to the product. There is a team of three administrators who manage it.

Zabbix is free but if you use it in production then you have to pay for it. It is not expensive if you compare it to something like the Amazon monitoring system.

Also, it is an open-source product, although some features are available at an extra cost.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a great tool and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Poor server monitoring, does not scale well, and lacks performance
  • "The implementation process is very straightforward."
  • "The server monitoring could be better."

What is our primary use case?

Our company works with the health ministry in our country. We implement the solution for them and they use it as a monitoring solution in order to watch trends and server patterns, etc.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well for monitoring our on-site server.

Sometimes, the server can go down. When this happens, the solution has the capability to alert us to problems and will automatically notify us of any issues via email.

The implementation process is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The server monitoring could be better.

I'm not well versed in Zabbix, so it's difficult for someone like me to handle the setup. They should work to make the implementation much easier. It would improve the useability of the solution.

The solution needs to have a higher quality of performance. Performance is very important to our clients, and this solution doesn't perform very well. The quality and code are difficult.

The solution does not scale well.

We've been using the solution for one year.

HIgh performance is important to us, and this solution just doesn't offer it. It's unreliable. The quality just isn't there right now.

Our company needs a solution that can scale, and this product does not offer good scalability. It's one of its biggest downsides. If a company needs to expand the solution, they'll find that they won't be able to effectively.

We haven't had any issues with technical support. They've satisfied our needs to far. We don't have any complaints about the service they offer their clients.

The initial setup isn't too complex. It's fairly easy to implement and set up.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Zabbix user. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution three out of ten. I would rate it higher if there was better scalability potential and the performance was of a much higher quality.

Private Cloud
Rajiv Warrier
Regional Head at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Open source, with great technical support and good scalability
  • "The product is very stable."
  • "There's a small module of APM, however, it is not an enhanced version. People usually ask for a full-fledged APM solution."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a network monitoring tool. If you have any type of IT infrastructure, it can help you monitor that IT infrastructure and get the logs collected. You can control and manage your IT, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

The product is very stable.

It is a scalable tool.

The solution is open source also. There's no cost for the license.

Technical support is very good.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the APM solution, the Application Management solution. There's a small module of APM, however, it is not an enhanced version. People usually ask for a full-fledged APM solution.

The initial setup could be a bit simpler.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze.

If a company needs to expand the product, it can do so with Zabbix. It's scalable.

We have 21 to 22 clients using this solution currently.

Technical support is very good. They are helpful and responsive and we are happy with their level of support.

I'd rate the solution's initial setup as a seven out of ten.

The installation will take time according to the IT infrastructure involved. It depends on if there are multi-locations versus one location and whether it is on the cloud or whether it is on-premises. Even so, deployment will take at least two to three weeks at a minimum.

We have eight to ten people on our team that can handle deployment and maintenance. They are admins and engineers.

The solution is completely open-source and free to use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a Zabbix partner.

The solution is excellent. I would rate it at a ten out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and other organizations.

Hybrid Cloud
Jackson-Pierre
Président / Directeur des services informatiques at Atig network
Fast, lightweight, and easy to install
  • "The basic setup is very easy."
  • "I am having difficulties connecting it to Grafana, as well as some of the other plugins like Kibana."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zabbix on my Raspberry Pi and it is set up to monitor our network. We are testing it at the moment to see how it responds to our network, which includes laptops and workstations.

I have not gone into great detail with the product, although I expect to be doing that within the next months.

What is most valuable?

It is not hard to integrate.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Zabbix for the past year.

The stability is okay, although, at this point, I'm only using it on a Raspberry Pi. I need to set it on a higher level server to see exactly how it responds on the network and how to deal with it. In this testing phase, it is stable, but when I'm ready to put it live into production then we will see how it reacts.

I haven't tried to scale it, yet. I am the only one using it because I'm performing the testing.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

The basic setup is very easy. I installed it in a Raspberry Pi with a Linux version. It took perhaps 20 minutes to install, at the most.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product I can recommend to others.

Overall, I think that this is a great tool, although I need to spend more time with it to see exactly what the different features are, and how I can use it to implement my network better. There are a few glitches that need to be fixed, such as making the plugins easier to install.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scales well, provides good visibility, and the alarm monitoring is helpful
  • "The most valuable feature is the alert and alarm monitoring."
  • "If Zabbix had a better dashboard then it would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

I was using Zabbix as a monitoring tool at my previous job, although I have left that company and am no longer using this type of product. We were using it for monitoring routers and a few thousand other devices. We had visibility as to their status.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the alert and alarm monitoring.

What needs improvement?

If Zabbix had a better dashboard then it would be nice.

I had been working with Zabbix for three years.

The stability is very good.

We had between 20 and 30 users and more than 2,000 devices.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support.

Prior to using Zabbix, we used Nagios. We switched because it became unstable and clumsy when we grew to have more than 2,000 devices. Zabbix was much better in terms of scalability.

I don't recall all of the details related to the initial setup, although I remember that it was not quite easy. We had to conduct quite a few searches on Google during the process in order to properly understand how to install it. If I remember correctly, there were a couple of errors.

We had two engineers who were responsible for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think that Zabbix is an awesome tool and I would use it again, rather than another one. For us, Nagios was a disaster and Zabbix was the savior. We didn't require any functionality that it didn't already have. My only complaint is that the dashboard needs to be improved.

Download our free Zabbix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.